Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zil posted:

If Elon doesn't think every black hat in the world is not working on an attack for Twitter right now he is even more of a moron than we all thought possible.

Yeah I can see it becoming the world’s biggest ransomware attack or someone just loving things up beyond repair to gain some sort of mythical infamy.

I don’t know of anyone in the hacking circles but I’d have to say “the person who killed Twitter” would be a pretty fuckin’ ace title and spot on the resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

the holy poopacy posted:

The dicksucking factory, there's a lot of openings now that everyone left to go hop on the Elon train

There seem to be plenty of eligible candidates, why do they not have anything better to do than tweet? :confused:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

gently caress yall, the dicksucking factory is honest, union work and none of us like those amateurs that Elon uses

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

funeral home DJ posted:

Yeah I can see it becoming the world’s biggest ransomware attack or someone just loving things up beyond repair to gain some sort of mythical infamy.

I don’t know of anyone in the hacking circles but I’d have to say “the person who killed Twitter” would be a pretty fuckin’ ace title and spot on the resume.

*reading resume* Elon ... Musk?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Well, that's not how it works, so nothing.

My apologies sir i thought i was posting on a comedy forum, i didnt realise i was posting on the elon stan fan site

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

gently caress yall, the dicksucking factory is honest, union work and none of us like those amateurs that Elon uses

"Yo can I get a patch for my uniform, local toadie dicksuckers #42069? I ain't no twitter scab"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

You guys are kind of funny thinking Twitter is going to crash and stop working forever.

i think it's kind of funny when people think that would be impossible

maybe not forever but for an extended period

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the internet is not stable, or reliable, or permanent. it only seems that way due to our limited timespan. it's illusory and can and will vanish (god willing)

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Elon just can't catch a break

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593624195136487426?s=20&t=OcmWQ_l5_PLXQzmHWnO_7Q

Que no los dos

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"The server gets flooded by hurricane Katrina and the website goes down" is a very 2005 thing. Something like Twitter dies in weird and wonderful way involving service degradation as failover-reboot cycles don't perfectly recreate an instance because a cosmic ray hit the server so everyone in North America's tweet imbeds stop working or some middle manager sees 2faserv(1) and 2faserv(2) in the console and tells the junior to kill 2faserv(2) cause its redundant and Europe loses the 2 factor message sending.

I think there's 2 reasons we haven't seen a public blackhat owning: 1. all the easy hacks are 0day library exploits and they want to save them for something that isn't dumb or 2. they have and just haven't told anyone yet and no one is left at Twitter that could notice.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

This probably will lead to an exodus of left leaning people but that will backfire on them. The online right exist to "trigger the libs". With no libs left to trigger they'll get bored and start infighting. It's the reason all the other "free speech" twitter clones stagnate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kale posted:

His continued approach of just trying to troll and shitpost his way through all the companies problems certainly shows a stubborn dedication I'll say that much. I was legit wondering last night if this is actually how he runs Tesla as well.

Although he has multiple companies, Tesla, Spacex, and Twitter are the big ones/ones that matter.

The consensus for those seems to be.

He's basically completely hands-off for SpaceX. Actually competent people who know what they're doing are running that.

Tesla. He has a pet project which is all he focuses on and harasses the engineers with his BS over, while everyone else gets on with the actual car manufacture. Currently his pet project is the perpertual vaporware that is the Cybertruck.

Twitter. Welp.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Mozi posted:

i think it's kind of funny when people think that would be impossible

maybe not forever but for an extended period

Basically every programmer who has any sort of system that has an uptime, they always wonder how long their product will stay upright and functional (at a glance, from the outside) without active maintenance.

The goal, obviously, is to keep it running indefinitely. This is a pipe dream but Twitter had some very smart people working for it until they all got laid off. It hasn’t even been 24 hours since they stopped working.

Nobody really knows for sure what will happen. It could be a simple failure that Musk’s court jesters can stumble through figuring out. It could also be something really hard. It could also be like 24 things that are all happening concurrently. The worse it gets, the longer the downtime will be when it comes, and that downtime can definitely extend into months. A downtime of months is death.

But the site will atrophy. Visibly. We already see features failing to work. User names often can’t be changed. 2FA via text stopped working for a bit and had a glaring security flaw. The site is sluggish and doesn’t reliably load everything anymore.

Will we get fireworks? I dunno.

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2022

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e: oh wait no, it's just that i have him blocked

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

BadOptics posted:

I can only imagine what Twitter's firewalls and IDS' are experiencing right now. :allears:

“Imagine” is probably all anyone at Twitter can do now, too.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

On the one hand, Twitter is a well loved public utility/service

On the other, I have never seen humanity manifest anything harder than its disgust for Elon Musk

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

You guys probably don’t know this because you’re a bunch of entirely stupid fuckers but every Spacex rocket that has exploded was on purpose which is brilliant if you think about it because until you know all the things that make them explode you can’t know all the things that won’t make them explode.

"It was very successful, but it fell on the wrong planet, in 10 trillion pieces"

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

In what kind of magical world do people live, so that they expect something as complex as twitter to go on forever without an hiccup?

The first serious problem will kill twitter if nobody is there to fix it (and knowing how to fix it).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." for some people is the box next to their monitor.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

I worked with a guy whose previous job was at Amazon.

Amazon has AI to detect CP and gore and other such poo poo in the pages of the materials it has preview indexes of.

This guy's job was TO TRAIN THAT AI.

He was a shell of a man already.

Ugh yeah there was an article about how FB manages that. Ridiculously low paid contractors getting PTSD from the worst content imaginable that never stops. You’d better believe a consulting firm is getting rich off this.

quote:

The Silent Partner Cleaning Up Facebook for $500 Million a Year
The social network has constructed a vast infrastructure to keep toxic material off its platform. At the center of it is Accenture, the blue-chip consulting firm.

quote:

For years, tensions had mounted within Accenture over a certain task that it performed for the social network. In eight-hour shifts, thousands of its full-time employees and contractors were sorting through Facebook’s most noxious posts, including images, videos and messages about suicides, beheadings and sexual acts, trying to prevent them from spreading online.

Some of those Accenture workers, who reviewed hundreds of Facebook posts in a shift, said they had started experiencing depression, anxiety and paranoia. In the United States, one worker had joined a class-action lawsuit to protest the working conditions. News coverage linked Accenture to the grisly work. So Ms. Sweet had ordered a review to discuss the growing ethical, legal and reputational risks.

quote:

At the end of each month, Accenture sent invoices to Facebook detailing the hours worked by its moderators and the volume of content reviewed. Each U.S. moderator generated $50 or more per hour for Accenture, two people with knowledge of the billing said. In contrast, moderators in some U.S. cities received starting pay of $18 an hour.

Non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/...&smid=share-url

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If i'm speeding down the highway at night, and take my hands off the wheel and turn off the headlights and don't immediately go running off the road and become a huge fireball, then surely it won't ever happen, right?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Basically every programmer who has any sort of system that has an uptime, they always wonder how long their product will stay upright and functional (at a glance) without active maintenance.

I work in that world and it's one of those interesting questions that you really don't get to answer outside of a lab environment because what customer who sees real-world loads is going to let their system be used for a destructive resiliency test?

I give it 7 days +/- 2 days before a major failure, based purely on speculation. And it'll be a software thing that breaks, hardware for all that it fails due to things literally burning out is usually solvable by swapping in a fresh component. As long as they have spares on site they can probably keep replacing stuff until they run out and it might take a couple weeks to burn through the stock.

The certificates thing is super interesting to me, because those are not trivial to renew and with things as chaotic as they are it's a really quiet thing that'll easily get overlooked.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Basically every programmer who has any sort of system that has an uptime, they always wonder how long their product will stay upright and functional (at a glance, from the outside) without active maintenance.

The goal, obviously, is to keep it running indefinitely. This is a pipe dream but Twitter had some very smart people working for it until they all got laid off. It hasn’t even been 24 hours since they stopped working.

Nobody really knows for sure what will happen. It could be a simple failure that Musk’s court jesters can stumble through figuring out. It could also be something really hard. It could also be like 24 things that are all happening concurrently. The worse it gets, the longer the downtime will be when it comes, and that downtime can definitely extend into months. A downtime of months is death.

But the site will atrophy. Visibly. We already see features failing to work. User names often can’t be changed. 2FA via text stopped working for a bit and had a glaring security flaw. The site is sluggish and doesn’t reliably load everything anymore.

Will we get fireworks? I dunno.

A scheduled task that cleans up logs fails and no one notices or knows how to fix it, then a hard drive fills up and the OS crashes, that server could have been doing any sort of critical thing and anything that relies on it is now bombing and it goes from there. There's lots of little things that people are taking care of day to day and now there's a lot less of those people.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol I literally thought this was a joke but he's 100% serious

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's called BAU - Business As Usual. The name for the collective tasks and team doing the random poo poo that has to be done continuously to keep it all running and putting out the constant little fires.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Someone else mentioned it already but Twitter going away is hilarious and good but it's going to leave a huge void for easily disseminating information to the general public both foreign and domestically. Stuff like organizing civil rights protests or basically the entire Ukraine/Russia war up to this point. I'm not going to go to Tumblr for live reactions of Ukrainians taking over tanks and that kind of thing. I dunno, just been thinking about how non-English speaking Twitter has been handling all this lately.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A company is more than its physical plant and intangible property, it's institutional knowledge and relationships. Musk has blown both of these into a billion pieces; he might have people who can keep Twitter puttering along, but no one who is left or can be lured to work for him can possibly piece together all the information that any large scale organization needs to run. And because Twitter's real customers are advertisers, he needs trust because no one wants a brand disaster on their hands, and Twitter's ad reach was already kind of questionable in metrics before the Muskopalyse.

Without the former, the technical side is one bad day away from breaking apart in ways that are not easily fixed. Without the latter, there's no revenue to keep the lights on. Neither of which are coming back any time soon, if ever.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/dril/status/900592164589248513

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I should start a twitter account predicting twitter will stay up. If it does I'm a genius. If it doesn't the tweets die with it. Win/win!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

El Spamo posted:

I work in that world and it's one of those interesting questions that you really don't get to answer outside of a lab environment because what customer who sees real-world loads is going to let their system be used for a destructive resiliency test?

I give it 7 days +/- 2 days before a major failure, based purely on speculation. And it'll be a software thing that breaks, hardware for all that it fails due to things literally burning out is usually solvable by swapping in a fresh component. As long as they have spares on site they can probably keep replacing stuff until they run out and it might take a couple weeks to burn through the stock.

The certificates thing is super interesting to me, because those are not trivial to renew and with things as chaotic as they are it's a really quiet thing that'll easily get overlooked.

Are we sure genius boy didn't sell off backup hardware or even test environment hardware for quick cash?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Oh yes. Like the guy in that long tweet-thread said, just something as simple as a log file getting too large and filling a disk can bring a system down and isn't always easy to diagnose. Hardware failures, a glitchy network, a remote mounted drive going offline, some weird old system that occasionally dies for no apparent reason and needs to be switched off and on again.
It's all about keeping the plates spinning or they start smashing very quickly.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I know it keeps getting reposted all over the place, but it is still hilarious every time I read it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Setting aside the question of when the actual site/business breaks, #RIPTwitter is trending basically worldwide as everyone's started putting together hasty plans for where they're going to move on to in a post-Twitter world. Even if the site holds up for a week or so more (and it most likely won't), the fact that people everywhere are treating this as the death knell means it might as well be one for a site that relies on, well, people to stay invested in being on the site.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

El Spamo posted:

hardware for all that it fails due to things literally burning out is usually solvable by swapping in a fresh component.
They locked the building though.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Nothing underpins recruiter culture like the proud founder of a recruitment website talking poo poo about how many employees google has and all but explicitly advocating for the tech field to lay people off en masse.

Also, "I am very smart" says guy insistent that everything is fine on a website known to have massive traffic during the World Cup... 2 days before the World Cup.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
with all that said i'm sure there are at least some very good programmers who are dedicated to Elon who are doing their best to keep things going so :shrug: i'm still giving it a week before tech issues get really bad (pulling entirely out of my rear end)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FTX is already being investigated by the SEC and DOJ but that doesn't matter, this is just Elon sweating and frantically screaming "look over there!"

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Mozi posted:

with all that said i'm sure there are at least some very good programmers who are dedicated to Elon who are doing their best to keep things going so :shrug: i'm still giving it a week before tech issues get really bad (pulling entirely out of my rear end)

The Venn diagram of people who are Musk believers AND ALSO are extremely competent engineers on the level Twitter needs right now…it’s probably not 0, but it’s a very small sliver.

Musk has done everything he can to broadcast red flags and toxic behavior to every computer toucher alive, in public.

What Twitter needs are the experts who learned the existing system so they know what to do, fast. By fast I mean within a few hours, not within a few days or weeks of investigation, triage, research, and chaos.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well i'm excited to be proven either right or wrong :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think this sums up what's most likely to happen with Twitter:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1593608165488312320

It's not going to fail overnight, but it is going to enter a downward spiral until it winds up becoming something closer to Parler or Truth Social.