Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A couple of days ago I saw more people biking than I've ever seen in this town, and it wasn't even a nice day out. Really encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A couple of days ago I saw more people biking than I've ever seen in this town, and it wasn't even a nice day out. Really encouraging.

it's beacuse Joe Biden made da gas expensiver

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

didn't seattle build some giant eight lane road between downtown and the water, what am I thinking of

That's Seattle. They tore down a huge elevated freeway along their waterfront and replaced it with a giant car tunnel plus a large stroad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That sounds like a lot more lanes, drivers must be happy at least that congestion along those routes is solved now at least

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's beacuse Joe Biden made da gas expensiver

tbh I think it's largely because we ran out of parking spots. The university has more students, faculty, and staff than they can provide spots for, plus they charge faculty and staff for parking, so people have had to actually stop and evaluate their transportation options. It's a great case of disincentives in action.

This is why I was asking yesterday how this squares with charging underpaid workers for parking. My union says they should get free parking. I say we'd be losing a valuable tool to change transportation in our town.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holy gently caress I hate carbrained morons

https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1593336433825153026

Kid walking around outside the killyoumobile, clearly there is SEX TRAFFICKING going on and CHILD ENDANGERMENT

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

tbh I think it's largely because we ran out of parking spots. The university has more students, faculty, and staff than they can provide spots for, plus they charge faculty and staff for parking, so people have had to actually stop and evaluate their transportation options. It's a great case of disincentives in action.

This is why I was asking yesterday how this squares with charging underpaid workers for parking. My union says they should get free parking. I say we'd be losing a valuable tool to change transportation in our town.
This isn't related to the university of California grad students is it? If so I think the bigger issue is that none of them can afford to live anywhere near the schools.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kid walking around outside the killyoumobile, clearly there is SEX TRAFFICKING going on and CHILD ENDANGERMENT
What's amazing is that while he walked 0.5 miles, which is still absolutely nothing, the person who called the cops was ONE BLOCK AWAY from their house.

A kid can't even be walking ONE loving BLOCK away from their house without the cops being called now

The standard is apparently "kids aren't allowed out of their yard until they get their driver's license" nowadays

If you saw a kid a block away from their house why the gently caress would you be like "yes clearly I need to call the cops"

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Nov 17, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Also the guy who called the cops: "Why don't kids play outside anymore"

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
^Also the cops who actually performed the arrest and got the ball rolling on this woman's state sponsored persecution

also funny replies and quote tweets that completely exculpate the police and try to blame this on liberals or get mad about trans kids or whatever

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
A small town near here is terminally car-brained, which I have experience with from riding through regularly, and some rear end in a top hat called CPS on a mother who carries her kids in a cargo bike.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-06-20/signalee-a-la-dpj-a-cause-de-son-velo-cargo.php

Happily CPS did not move forward with any action.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

SimonSays posted:

A small town near here is terminally car-brained, which I have experience with from riding through regularly, and some rear end in a top hat called CPS on a mother who carries her kids in a cargo bike.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-06-20/signalee-a-la-dpj-a-cause-de-son-velo-cargo.php

Happily CPS did not move forward with any action.

oh yeah i biked to Granby last year and the city centre is a nightmare to bike in or find parking. i think on the streets i saw one other person biking the whole time. i'm thankful the zoo had some bike racks but i passed through so much forgettable cookie cutter suburbia on the way from the hotel

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
The only safe place to be is in a car. Being anywhere else is reckless and possibly criminal.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The next time someone says that suburbs can't be fixed to work with transit we need to tell them to go gently caress themselves.

If cities can plow paths through cul-de-sac suburbs to build freeways, then they can be forced to plow them for bus lanes.

https://twitter.com/bsquikle/status/1593336605980303361?s=20&t=swEJVBp55lBrGv7LjF4c0Q

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I've had a driver get out of his car and try to pick a fight with me because I crossed in a marked crosswalk while he was stopped at a sign, so yeah

Someone last night called me an rear end in a top hat because I had the audacity to... cross the street at a stop sign?

I asked him if he something to say, and his bitch rear end drove off lol.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CopperHound posted:

This isn't related to the university of California grad students is it? If so I think the bigger issue is that none of them can afford to live anywhere near the schools.

No, but it's the same problem. Housing prices have skyrocketed, and the lowest pay grade at the uni is basically poverty level, so it's hard to find affordable in-town housing. What programs the uni does offer to staff -- free bus fare and free bike parking -- are not as helpful if you live far away.

Instead of free parking, I wish they'd push for a "parking credit" that could be used for parking if the employee chooses (so basically just a $20 raise that psychologically sounds better because it makes your parking "free") but could just be pocketed if someone doesn't drive to work. It's a good thing that we charge for parking and we'd be backsliding to remove that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

15 Driving Etiquette Rules We’d All Really Like Everyone to Follow (Please?)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mystes posted:

What's amazing is that while he walked 0.5 miles, which is still absolutely nothing, the person who called the cops was ONE BLOCK AWAY from their house.

A kid can't even be walking ONE loving BLOCK away from their house without the cops being called now

The standard is apparently "kids aren't allowed out of their yard until they get their driver's license" nowadays

If you saw a kid a block away from their house why the gently caress would you be like "yes clearly I need to call the cops"

I hate being visible in public because it always feels like there's someone watching and waiting for you to do something they don't like, or they don't want you on "their" turf. Happened to me while I was riding my bike in my hometown.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

1. Walk or take your bike instead

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao just remembered that like 3 years ago one of my husbands coworkers was complaining because she bought a house in HOA land with some stipulation that kids weren't allowed to play in the front yard and she actually got like a fine from the HOA because her 10 year old daughter was in the front yard playing. No poo poo.

idk what she expected or if she didnt actually read the HOA rules or what.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Nov 18, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The HOA rules are meant to keep poor people/minorities out or at least invisible

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Also the guy who called the cops: "Why don't kids play outside anymore"

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Unabashed, unabated, Karenism. A product of Democrats, who value safety above all, including freedom. Should have voted for republicans the last century or so. Instead, they allowed "progressivism" to insert its dick in the rear end of America and cream their AIDS infected poo poo all up in there. Welcome to America. Land of the free. Home of the brave.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

one time when i was like 13 years old my buddy and i rode our bikes to the neighborhood 24/7 walmart at around 1am. it was a well lit area with side walks the entire way.

for some reason the cops were called on us. 1 cop showed up and called in loving backup while he detained us in front of walmart for the crime of riding our bikes at night. there were plenty of other people walking past us as it happened, using the store like normal people, they had just arrived via car so it was ok for them to be there.

at first they said it was because we didn't have lights on our bikes, which we did have just not both front and back lights, but we said ok no problem we will just buy some lights inside this walmart we were going to go inside anyway and they said ACTUALLY there have been some thefts in the area and we don't want you to get suspected so you need to leave immediately (????) so we are calling your parents IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

my buddy's dad was so pissed at us. driving home he was speeding and absolutely destroyed a possum chillin in the road. rip lil guy, car culture takes so much from us :(

Apr 7, 2003

Norton posted:

my buddy's dad was so pissed at us. driving home he was speeding and absolutely destroyed a possum chillin in the road.

It's great that our society normalizes grownass men having temper tantrums because their kids need something

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
So car brains can see green but not red, like some sort of red-green color blindness? This explains why drives ignore stop lights and stop signs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My co-workers are unable to understand that I will in fact not be picking my kids up when they become teenagers, on account of them having bikes and also me not having a cult membership card. The idea that teenagers can in fact figure out how to get home to a very bike and bus friendly place, even when drunk, does not make sense to them.

They even suggest that I must get a cargo bike to pick them up, which is just stupid. If you're old enough to be out, you're one enough to get home (and/or find somewhere else to stay).

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

My co-workers are unable to understand that I will in fact not be picking my kids up when they become teenagers, on account of them having bikes and also me not having a cult membership card. The idea that teenagers can in fact figure out how to get home to a very bike and bus friendly place, even when drunk, does not make sense to them.

They even suggest that I must get a cargo bike to pick them up, which is just stupid. If you're old enough to be out, you're one enough to get home (and/or find somewhere else to stay).

Sounds like they need to call CPS for your upcoming gross negligence

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

as a kid I was allowed to roam around the neighborhoods and bike anywhere within a couple miles of our house, starting really young, like age 6. we played games and hung around in the woods with our little group of friends doing normal kid stuff, we just had to be home for dinner. that sort of freedom is now so rare in the suburbs it has a special name: "free-range parenting".

i'm not really sure what changed, but in basically one generation the parents all decided to shelter their children from the world and just sign them up for organized sports and after school programs instead of letting them organically play football at the park or in the street like we used to.

i see a lot of kids going to the school bus stops, but besides that I never see them do anything outdoors and they certainly don't hang out in large groups biking around or playing like we did. kinda creeps me out and makes me feel really old

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the visibility of head-to-toe reflective tape?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the visibility of head-to-toe reflective tape?
Good retro reflective material is amazing.

You'll be accused of dazzling drivers so they can't help but crash into you.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
friend at an old job was hit by a car while crossing the street and killed yesterday. there have been at least 5 other similar pedestrian deaths in our area in the past month. it’s insane. one was an elderly couple who were walking across the street to their polling place on Election Day.

people really seem to be driving crazy and just unaware in general since the start of the pandemic. I basically only drive 15 minutes to and from daycare once a day and even then I have been almost hit 3 times in the past two weeks in completely clear conditions. slamming on the brakes and honking horn just in time only thing that prevented it. people changing lanes into me or just drifting over. ugh I hate this poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

slave to my cravings posted:

friend at an old job was hit by a car while crossing the street and killed yesterday. there have been at least 5 other similar pedestrian deaths in our area in the past month. it’s insane. one was an elderly couple who were walking across the street to their polling place on Election Day.

people really seem to be driving crazy and just unaware in general since the start of the pandemic. I basically only drive 15 minutes to and from daycare once a day and even then I have been almost hit 3 times in the past two weeks in completely clear conditions. slamming on the brakes and honking horn just in time only thing that prevented it. people changing lanes into me or just drifting over. ugh I hate this poo poo.

The Fort Pitt Tunnel is two separate tunnels, each with two lanes of traffic going in the same direction. The wrong way driver somehow got on the wrong way and drove for at least a mile of signed interstate to get to the tunnel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One Seattle Times writer calling for high-speed rail instead of a new airport

This is very unusual. Dominic Gates--the writer whose pro-airport story is linked in that one--may as well actually work for Boeing instead of the Times, given all the apologia he writes for them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I wonder what the explanation is for drivers here constantly crashing into red and white ambulances, streetcars, and Shoppers Drug Marts.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

I've unsettled a few people by telling them that people's driving since the pandemic especially can best be explained by the fact that they're checking in on the world around them maybe once every 10 seconds, with the effect getting worse the more like a living room their car interior is. I guess once that seed is planted in a mind it grows like crazy when they've had some time to be behind the wheel with it. The answer to "why?" is easy enough at least - they're paying $800 a month for that car and they won't even get a ticket if they mulch an entire class of kindergarteners. Why SHOULD they care? They're clearly behaving as the law intends them to.

Sucks about your buddy, it's so goddamned frustrating

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sound on
https://i.imgur.com/z38T3fC.mp4

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

One Seattle Times writer calling for high-speed rail instead of a new airport

This is very unusual. Dominic Gates--the writer whose pro-airport story is linked in that one--may as well actually work for Boeing instead of the Times, given all the apologia he writes for them.

i read the article and liked it. thnx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i was trying to walk between two truks in a parking lot today but i had to turn around because the mirrors were so big they completely blocked the opening

also the official spelling is in fact truk that is not a typo

trucks are the ones from many years ago that were reasonably sized

today they are truks