Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If you're on the Oceanic data center does he cast Ancient Quokka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I know that the Manderville family in general is one big joke, but I actually really love the very serious and understandable reason Godbert gave for wanting to recreate the Manderville Weapons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DanielCross posted:

I know that the Manderville family in general is one big joke, but I actually really love the very serious and understandable reason Godbert gave for wanting to recreate the Manderville Weapons.

I feel like Godbert is at his best when he's not in the actual Hildibrand storyline, where he's playing it mostly straight and serious but is still very tangibly a pretty silly character. Godbert's basically the only Hildibrand storyline character that can get toned down from overt silliness to that general 'not dead-serious but capable of being in an emotional scene' that you get from, like, early Urianger or a lot of Ul'dah's lalafel.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Godbert has the dishonor of being the one of the characters in the main story who strongly pushes the "oh we can't just GIVE refugees aid they have to work for it because reasons" which to be fair makes a sort of political sense because the syndicate in ul'dah is gonna torpedo anything if there isn't a profit motive in there but it's still lovely he's the mouthpiece for it and everyone just kinda sides with him when he's like "but they'll rely on charity!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glagha posted:

Godbert has the dishonor of being the one of the characters in the main story who strongly pushes the "oh we can't just GIVE refugees aid they have to work for it because reasons" which to be fair makes a sort of political sense because the syndicate in ul'dah is gonna torpedo anything if there isn't a profit motive in there but it's still lovely he's the mouthpiece for it and everyone just kinda sides with him when he's like "but they'll rely on charity!"

He doesn't mean it in the welfare queen way. He means that the Sydicate will tie themselves in so deeply that they effectively take control because there is no infrastructure that doesn't depend on them.

Like I really get that people hesitate over that but 'rich country exploits other country by forcing them to become economically and structurally dependant on them' is an actual thing and the entire point of that plotline is finding ways for Ala Mhigo to retain control rather tham ending up effectively controlled by a slightly less evil group.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ImpAtom posted:

He doesn't mean it in the welfare queen way. He means that the Sydicate will tie themselves in so deeply that they effectively take control because there is no infrastructure that doesn't depend on them.

Like I really get that people hesitate over that but 'rich country exploits other country by forcing them to become economically and structurally dependant on them' is an actual thing and the entire point of that plotline is finding ways for Ala Mhigo to retain control rather tham ending up effectively controlled by a slightly less evil group.

Also, Godbert specifically, does hire any and all refugees who come to him looking for a job no matter the circumstance. He pays them well, and offers them a place to live until they can get on their feet. He's actively trying to get money into their hands rather than simply provide welfare but no future (which is the other side of what the discussion is pointing out, aid isn't the same thing as a future).

One of the modern issues with welfare is the fact that it often isn't appropriately designed to help people get off welfare, speaking as someone on a social welfare scheme for the unemployed who would like to not be on it. I can't imagine it being much better in Ul'dah of all places.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

godbert should be guillotined

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Godbert is the only person in Ul'dah, rich or poor, to have any sense of style and grace therefore he should be the ruler by default.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Couple of questions:
Did there use to be a Euro FC on Omega once? Is there a EU FC currently?
I have a lvl. 54 character I haven't played in like three years. I don't remember poo poo. Is it wise to just create a new character?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 18, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

'Ahh, hello WoL with important NPC. Thank you for helping my son with... that thing. Let's struggle to keep straight faces and talk plot quickly please.'

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

godbert should be guillotined

He should. But his neck would shatter the blade, after which he would fix it up as the fanciest guillotine ever in apology.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

'Ahh, hello WoL with important NPC. Thank you for helping my son with... that thing. Let's struggle to keep straight faces and talk plot quickly please.'

I wouldn't make a new character. If you just want to see the story again, there's New Game Plus, and starting at level 1 does not teach you anything 10 minutes at a target dummy wouldn't do just as well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Tamba posted:

I wouldn't make a new character. If you just want to see the story again, there's New Game Plus, and starting at level 1 does not teach you anything 10 minutes at a target dummy wouldn't do just as well.

Quoted the wrong person here, but yeah I guess, but at the same time I'm looking at my items and my whole deal and it's like attempting to force myself to read cuneiform. I don't know where to begin, y'know?

Also on the subject of FC I'm apparently still a member and also it's in the OP, I just missed it the first time around.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Couple of questions:
Did there use to be a Euro FC on Omega once? Is there a EU FC currently?
I have a lvl. 54 character I haven't played in like three years. I don't remember poo poo. Is it wise to just create a new character?

Please Calm Down (PCD) is a goon FC on Omega.

I wouldn't do a new character in your situation. You have the journal at the inn and New Game+ for plot stuff. There's a good Let's Play blog by a goon WoW refugee too.

If you want to start over gameplay-wise, I'd say pick up a new class that starts at 1 or 30.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 18, 2022

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

One problem with NG+ is that while you could redo any story you've completed, if you're in the middle of Heavenward you won't be able to redo the start of Heavenward.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It looks like I'm currently on The Gift of Eternity. There's too much poo poo on me. I have a bajillion logs and rocks and growth formulations and fishes. How did I know what to do with all of this stuff?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure he does mean it that way because he devotes a couple of paragraphs of monologue to how hand outs breed indolence. So that was lovely and why everyone takes umbrage with him for it, even though the rest of his points are pretty spot on and just donating the money would most likely cause more problems than it solves.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Black Griffon posted:

It looks like I'm currently on The Gift of Eternity. There's too much poo poo on me. I have a bajillion logs and rocks and growth formulations and fishes. How did I know what to do with all of this stuff?
literally throw it all out, gil and time are the only two costs and gil is free and your sanity is worth more than the time it might take to re-get a single item

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm pretty sure he does mean it that way because he devotes a couple of paragraphs of monologue to how hand outs breed indolence. So that was lovely and why everyone takes umbrage with him for it, even though the rest of his points are pretty spot on and just donating the money would most likely cause more problems than it solves.

He really doesn't say that though. He is talking about using financial dependance as a method of control. It is more akin to tying your health insurance to your job.

Ala Mhigo can't become independent as long as they don't have control over their own land. That is the entire point. Not 'handouts make you lazy'

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

literally throw it all out, gil and time are the only two costs and gil is free and your sanity is worth more than the time it might take to re-get a single item

Yeah that's what I want to do tbh. I know it's a long shot, but is there anything here that just screams "oh no that's a big ol' "dog oval office" you gotta keep that" to anyone in this thread?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that's what I want to do tbh. I know it's a long shot, but is there anything here that just screams "oh no that's a big ol' "dog oval office" you gotta keep that" to anyone in this thread?

One thing to pay attention to:

"Shop Selling Price" is how much it costs to buy that item from an NPC vendor. If that's gently caress all, just get rid of the item you can buy it again if you need it.

If you're not on the free trial, you can sell things on the marketboard. If you can sell something for a decent price, do so. If you can't, toss it because if you need it later you can buy it cheap.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Black Griffon posted:

but is there anything here that just screams "oh no that's a big ol' "dog oval office" you gotta keep that" to anyone in this thread?

The friendship circlet in the top left is keepable.

The first three items on the second last row in the second tab might be something.

The purple book and 240 greens near the top of the second tab are probably worth keeping.

Everything else are common trade mats or supplies and should be vendored or discarded.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, that means you haven't started Heavenward yet. You're in the patch quests between ARR and HW (specifically 2.2) which should actually be perfect as long as you're allowed to do NG+ for the main ARR stuff (2.0).

Throw out all your crafting materials and stuff, none of it is important or valuable. Stick with your character, because you'll be able to fly and use teleports in NG+.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

He really doesn't say that though. He is talking about using financial dependance as a method of control. It is more akin to tying your health insurance to your job.

Ala Mhigo can't become independent as long as they don't have control over their own land. That is the entire point. Not 'handouts make you lazy'

people misreading that scene is extremely funny when the final saltery quest has an ala mhigan turn directly to the camera and say something like, "collective action is the only way for workers to take control of their future" completely deadpan

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I double checked and you are indeed far enough to unlock NG+. The quest to unlock it is called Memories Rekindled, from Wistful Whitebeard in Western Thanalan.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Black Griffon posted:

Qwertycoatl posted:

One thing to pay attention to:

"Shop Selling Price" is how much it costs to buy that item from an NPC vendor. If that's gently caress all, just get rid of the item you can buy it again if you need it.

If you're not on the free trial, you can sell things on the marketboard. If you can sell something for a decent price, do so. If you can't, toss it because if you need it later you can buy it cheap.

If the shop sell price is none, you can't buy the item of course. If it says restricted, there's some need to unlock the vendor. Those can sell for ok amounts on the market board.
As mentioned the book might be useful, probably has recipes for a crafting class though it could be an emote. The glamour prisms and glamour dispellers are worth keeping, as are the gyshal greens to summon your chocobo to fight with you. Nothing you have looks to be irreplacable other than the friendship circlet, which is worth keeping around for the times you have a class under 25 you want to level.

And if you don't want to bother with the market board for the materials (or don't have access to it because you're on the trial), just vendor them. They'll be worth modest amounts, but you won't meaningfully lose anything by doing so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

people misreading that scene is extremely funny when the final saltery quest has an ala mhigan turn directly to the camera and say something like, "collective action is the only way for workers to take control of their future" completely deadpan

I mean I think a story can have both a rich person who has bad opinions on welfare AND a poor person who has good opinions on solidarity and labor. Unless you're implying people think Godbert is stating the thesis of FFXIV and not offering his own flawed worldview.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

parasyte posted:

Nothing you have looks to be irreplacable other than the friendship circlet, which is worth keeping around for the times you have a class under 25 you want to level.
and for the power of friendship :3

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I mean I think a story can have both a rich person who has bad opinions on welfare AND a poor person who has good opinions on solidarity and labor. Unless you're implying people think Godbert is stating the thesis of FFXIV and not offering his own flawed worldview.

Even if Godbert's advice is viewed as a completely separate part of the narrative and not in the context of the larger arc of the Saltery, it's still completely consistent with historical materialist theory and practice. Like ImpAtom said, the point he's making isn't, "Poor people will become slovenly brutes if they don't have to work," it's, "Depending on the financial largess of an outside benefactor directly puts you under their control," which is true: it's why Lenin put such enormous emphasis on the development of the industrial base, because it was the only way to ensure that the USSR had even a modicum of control over its own future. This is why the very next scene is Nanamo going to Lolorito along with you to ensure that the terms negotiated are something that won't put the Saltery under criminal debt burden or hand complete control over to the Syndicate, because her goal isn't "give the Ala Mhigans a job so they aren't lazy bums" but "give them financial independence so they can decide their own future".

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

In the bottom-right area, i would keep the 98 envelopes and silver Chocobo feathers.

What's that to the left of the envelopes?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Really appreciate everyone's answers. I trust I'll have a full grasp of everything again (in a month or something).

Heran Bago posted:

What's that to the left of the envelopes?

This, looks like.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

Even if Godbert's advice is viewed as a completely separate part of the narrative and not in the context of the larger arc of the Saltery, it's still completely consistent with historical materialist theory and practice. Like ImpAtom said, the point he's making isn't, "Poor people will become slovenly brutes if they don't have to work," it's, "Depending on the financial largess of an outside benefactor directly puts you under their control," which is true: it's why Lenin put such enormous emphasis on the development of the industrial base, because it was the only way to ensure that the USSR had even a modicum of control over its own future. This is why the very next scene is Nanamo going to Lolorito along with you to ensure that the terms negotiated are something that won't put the Saltery under criminal debt burden or hand complete control over to the Syndicate, because her goal isn't "give the Ala Mhigans a job so they aren't lazy bums" but "give them financial independence so they can decide their own future".

I just think he is both correctly stating that charity can lead to a vassal state, and also has an uncharitable view of how it impacts the drive and daily lives of individuals of those states.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vermain posted:

Seriously. That anyone could misread Godbert's message that Ala Mhigo needs actual infrastructure is a huge eyeroll.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh yeah Chocobo racing. Can toss it.

If the 185 black spirals are usable emotes like pinwheels, may as well keep them for fun. As others said, the glamour prisms and greens will be useful, but you lose nothing trashing them for a clean experience.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

super sweet best pal posted:

Seriously. That anyone could misread Godbert's message that Ala Mhigo needs actual infrastructure is a huge eyeroll.

It's not really a misread. I went back and watched the cutscene and he says, literally, "Man is an indolent creature by nature." Just throwing a random non-sequitor about people sure are lazy right in the middle of his otherwise well-reasoned rebuttal of Nanamo for no particular reason since it doesn't really relate to what he said before or after.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

It's not really a misread. I went back and watched the cutscene and he says, literally, "Man is an indolent creature by nature." Just throwing a random non-sequitor about people sure are lazy right in the middle of his otherwise well-reasoned rebuttal of Nanamo for no particular reason since it doesn't really relate to what he said before or after.

here is what he actually says, with the context surrounding it:

quote:

Godbert: It is a fine endeavor to support one's fellow man. I fear, however, that your stance is one born of pity--your intent is to "save" the refugees, is it not?

For all our potential, we are indolent creatures by nature. If unconditional charity is all we know, then we begin to rely on it--to expect it. And then we must consider Ul'dah's own poor and downtrodden. Should they hear of you spending the nation's coin--not to improve their own lot, but to nurture the distant citizens of Ala Mhigo--it is unlikely they will applaud your generosity. Surely it is not Your Grace's intention to foster new resentments, but to spread goodwill?

Nanamo: Indeed.
...Then any support I pledge to the refugees must promote self-sufficiency, whilst also serving the interests of the people of Ul'dah.

Godbert: Exactly so! Such an arrangement will create a far more equitable relationship with the returning Ala Mhigans, even as it generates the revenue required to win the approval of your subjects.

he doesn't mention charity as being bad; he mentions unconditional charity as producing a negative outcome (which is, by my count, not controversial: "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a two parter for a reason), and "people tend not to work a lot when they don't have to" is a decidedly ancient observation

Epictetus, The Discourses posted:

Or what do you think Heracles would have amounted to, if there had not been a lion like the one which he encountered, and a hydra, and a stag, and a boar, and wicked and brutal men, whom he made it his business to drive out and clear away? And what would he have been doing had nothing of the sort existed? Is it not clear that he would have rolled himself up in a blanket and slept?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Is a NG+ run of ARR good for leveling a new job in general or will I need to supplement with other stuff? Said "other stuff" would probably be a good way to get back into gear too, but yeah.

Heran Bago posted:

If the 185 black spirals are usable emotes like pinwheels, may as well keep them for fun.

Fish bait I think, I binned 'em.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
NG+ gives zero experience and probably zero gear. It's solely to re-experience the story

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ah beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Godbert's right.