Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's got technical problems but it's fun, is what I'm saying.
Fatshark.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I know it's only day one but I hope they do a lot of double XP weekends or have some sort of multiplier for XP if you max out a character and swap to another. I've done 9 missions and I'm level 7 which is not too bad but I imagine it's going to become more like 2, 3 or even more successful runs to get a level later. I don't have access to any of the weapons I picked the class to use which is fine, they gotta dangle some stuff but there's no indication of when I'll get them or what they are in the game, I assume there's going to be at some point but that feels like a reasonably basic thing. It's level 11 to get access to dailies which I assume might have an XP bonus reward or maybe they'll just give the premium currency.

It's going to feel incredibly poo poo to play so many missions with the basic guns/feats of each class if you happen to want to swap in the future just for some variety. Hell I tend to be the sort of person who jumps between classes in games like this a lot when I start out just to try them all but the prospect is very unappealing as it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

just tired from staying up late playing Darktide and mad that I have to at least try to work today

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

just tired from staying up late playing Darktide and mad that I have to at least try to work today

:same:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thebardyspoon posted:

I know it's only day one but I hope they do a lot of double XP weekends or have some sort of multiplier for XP if you max out a character and swap to another. I've done 9 missions and I'm level 7 which is not too bad but I imagine it's going to become more like 2, 3 or even more successful runs to get a level later. I don't have access to any of the weapons I picked the class to use which is fine, they gotta dangle some stuff but there's no indication of when I'll get them or what they are in the game, I assume there's going to be at some point but that feels like a reasonably basic thing. It's level 11 to get access to dailies which I assume might have an XP bonus reward or maybe they'll just give the premium currency.

It's going to feel incredibly poo poo to play so many missions with the basic guns/feats of each class if you happen to want to swap in the future just for some variety. Hell I tend to be the sort of person who jumps between classes in games like this a lot when I start out just to try them all but the prospect is very unappealing as it is.

Locking class weapons behind several levels of XP was a mistake imo. Make it so that you have basic gear for the first couple levels, maybe even the training levels, but give the things that differentiate classes upfront. Right now it's an issue with the Vet and Zealot where they have their cooldown abilities but Zealot doesn't have a good crowd control melee weapon unless you can buy one in the market, so she can't get stuck in like she's built to for at least a couple runs. So if you don't get a good melee unlock then she's going to be shooting more often than she should and that puts her in Vet's wheelhouse. Same thing works in the other direction too. Psycher has a lot of that but at least his brain pop helps, although it's anemic when you don't have elites around.

Gotta chew through it I guess but still.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reposting the psyker short story from the Darktide site so people new to 40k can get a reference to why people don't like being around psykers
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/short-story-the-psyker

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I went preacher because melee seems cool and this thread was talking about seeing a ton of soldiers already in game. I'm actually seeing a lot of other preachers so far, I even had a all preacher party last night.

Small sample size so who knows.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am prepared to praise sigmar or whatever deity makes my dude better at swinging a chainsword

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Popete posted:

I went preacher because melee seems cool and this thread was talking about seeing a ton of soldiers already in game. I'm actually seeing a lot of other preachers so far, I even had a all preacher party last night.

Small sample size so who knows.

I think people are wising up to the Preacher. Very durable, really great in melee, and even in this game it's easier to survive if you have a melee weapon out. I am starting to see a lot more as well. A buddy who was stoked about Veteran switched over to Preacher after a few games because he felt Veteran was hard not to get hit / teaching him bad habits.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I am prepared to praise sigmar or whatever deity makes my dude better at swinging a chainsword

That would be Khorne. God of Chain Weapons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Floppychop posted:

Reposting the psyker short story from the Darktide site so people new to 40k can get a reference to why people don't like being around psykers
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/short-story-the-psyker

No lore reasons please

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I think people are wising up to the Preacher. Very durable, really great in melee, and even in this game it's easier to survive if you have a melee weapon out. I am starting to see a lot more as well. A buddy who was stoked about Veteran switched over to Preacher after a few games because he felt Veteran was hard not to get hit / teaching him bad habits.

I think it's a lot of people getting used to the idea of having an overshield. VT didn't have one of course so someone who could put out sustained damage at range was generally the golden ticket, like the Bounty Hunter. But here since you have a bit more leeway to get stuck in without taking permanent damage things swing back to the melee option more. I do think that ranged is going to end up being the elite killer regardless but for large groups even the vet gets his shovel out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Hitting quick play 90% of the time: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!
Hitting quick play and getting the auspex scan mission: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does the Ogryn ever get guns that aren't just shotguns? I already kind of have a super good infinite ammo shotgun (my sword) I don't need two!

thebardyspoon posted:

There was a map in VT2 that you could run off a ledge right at the beginning and it would end the mission and give you a bit of XP so I made an AHK script that just did that over and over and over and my friends and I got everything to max level in like two days lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 18, 2022

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Ogryn gets a grenade launcher strapped to their first, which they can also use to punch people

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tibbeh posted:

Ogryn gets a grenade launcher strapped to their first, which they can also use to punch people

Does it get like...a normal rifle?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fadam posted:

Does it get like...a normal rifle?

a big beefy arm is a gun of sorts

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Absolutely not

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Ichabod Tane posted:

Does the Veteran have any other voices other than some British guy? Psyker having a German accent is alluring

Hopefully a Catachan DLC will bring with it some authentic Austrian/Aussie accents.

Has anyone played around with the fighting knife? It seems the punch alternate attack allows you to follow up with a quick, high damage stab if you manage to stumble the target. It also seems to do substantial backstab damage to bosses and specials.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

jokes posted:

a big beefy arm is a gun of sorts

Not unless I can punch guys from the across the room!

IDK, I like the class a lot and it has a niche which is cool, but it's weird that every other class gets good tools for melee and range but Ogryn only gets melee and...melee?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Ogryn gets ranged weapons. He was never going to get an assault rifle or a sniper rifle. We also aren't seeing all the weapons that are in the game right now. But if you wanted to compete with the Veteran for sniping elites, no, that's likely not going to happen. At least with this subclass.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
He supposedly gets one of those big man portable auto cannons which would help him with counter fire against gunners.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can ogryns use the generic autoguns that just about everyone can use?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

can ogryns use the generic autoguns that just about everyone can use?

Maybe as a toothpick.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I thing Ogryn gets a heavy stubber, which is an LMG.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i kinda like playing ogryn just for the height advantage alone :shobon:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Apparently using an ultra-wide with Gsync enabled can lead to crashes:

https://support.fatshark.se/hc/en-us/articles/7709667528349

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Its a bit of a shame that veterans 3 voices are model officer, cynical survivor, and angrier cynical survivor (cadian model), i think the other classees have a wider variety in attitude between the personalities.

That said cuthroats voice actor( both) really gives it their all, so theyre entertaining.

I couldn't agree more. Cool voices are great but there needs to be--at minimum--1 funny voice per class

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

When are bolters unlocked? Are there weapon classes that don’t show up in the shop unless you’ve hit a certain level?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

He supposedly gets one of those big man portable auto cannons which would help him with counter fire against gunners.

Yeah Ogryn has a couple of Stubber varieties, the rippergun, the boom stikc, grenadier gauntlet, etc. No traditional rifles but plenty of dakka options.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Soundtrack is on Spotify now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i kinda like playing ogryn just for the height advantage alone :shobon:

It's neat but I hear it becomes an issue later when a lot more Las troopers come out and you're standing above the crowd with your big dumb head on display.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Ogryn DLC weapon that's just a pair of cool fingerless gloves that give you the confidence to pick up scenery/barrels/man-sized opponents and hurl them like you're Donkey Kong

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fadam posted:

Not unless I can punch guys from the across the room!

IDK, I like the class a lot and it has a niche which is cool, but it's weird that every other class gets good tools for melee and range but Ogryn only gets melee and...melee?

Huh? Have you tried the rippergun? I can shred groups at range pretty effectively before they close in. I guess I'm still playing on the easy difficulty so it's probably not extremely effective on the harder ones but Ogryn isn't going to be headshotting enemies from far away.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

hows the monetization looking? Was thinking about buying in but the dlc with "premium currency" has me a bit worried

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

honestly i use that big Ogryn single barrel shotgun at long range anyway because even though it wont kill a group of shooty cultists at that range it will stun them

then i can charge them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xun posted:

hows the monetization looking? Was thinking about buying in but the dlc with "premium currency" has me a bit worried

I don't think they've opened up cosmetics yet but if it's anything like Vermintide 2 there'll be cosmetics that you can buy with money or tokens that can be earned in game and probably also purchased with money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ChickenHeart posted:

Ogryn DLC weapon that's just a pair of cool fingerless gloves that give you the confidence to pick up scenery/barrels/man-sized opponents and hurl them like you're Donkey Kong

Minority report gloves, but when you make a finger gun at an enemy, a shoulder-mounted gun smokes a motherfucker

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FrancisFukyomama posted:

When are bolters unlocked? Are there weapon classes that don’t show up in the shop unless you’ve hit a certain level?

Not sure on bolters specifically but it certainly seems like certain weapon classes only unlock as you level. First flamer I saw was at lvl 12 and I still haven’t seen a chain sword or thunder hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

I don't think they've opened up cosmetics yet but if it's anything like Vermintide 2 there'll be cosmetics that you can buy with money or tokens that can be earned in game and probably also purchased with money.

Also if it's the same then you buy new classes with cash and then if you want to customize that class you have to buy an entirely separate DLC for cash. Hope you like the default look lol