Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Need to level up the class the skill is under, the [Oath] is capped at 513, as [The Dawn Sentinel] is 512.

I'm actually confused about how the levels work when you have 3 classes, at different levels that cap at different thresholds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ah, so the oath mlm style experience only applies to the oath itself? That makes sense and it's really funny that she probably has a level 4000 skill just waiting for her to catch up.

My understanding is that you get xp for things that you do. If you are doing something that falls under two or more class' umbrellas, the xp will split between them.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
So is Elaine 20 something, or 40 something, or 24,000 something years old?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
20s-something who got displaced into the far future, it's practically a time travel story.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I love the leveling system and the funny classes in Btdem, and similar stories. Somehow the RPG part of Littpg's has become better then the games it came from for me. Somewhere along the way between balancing, multiplayer, realism and online guides, the fun of figuring out game systems in RPGs/MMORPGs and abusing them has been lost.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
System says she is 25 years old, but she does have a skill saying she has "bathed in the light of the sun for 20,000 years" [Solar Corona] I think when she merged a skill. So open to interpretation but I would go with the System status sheet being the ultimate arbiter.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Need to level up the class the skill is under, the [Oath] is capped at 513, as [The Dawn Sentinel] is 512.

I'm actually confused about how the levels work when you have 3 classes, at different levels that cap at different thresholds.

The big factor is that Oath is a general skill not a class skill and so raising it does not actualy level her, so her infinite xp trick thus only raises the skill itself. If she had taken that Owthbound Healer class option she had a while ago it would probably have made Oath a class skill, at that point?

I suspect she would have come out of the time skip with that class completely maxed out. Even so she is going to have Oath eternally maxed and that is not nothing given she has the more powerful originator version and it is not the easiest skill to level.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Ah yes I got it confused with Dawn Sentinel being her healer class. So I agree, she needs to break the 512 threshold in any of her other classes to get Oath to go up.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Patrat posted:

The big factor is that Oath is a general skill not a class skill and so raising it does not actualy level her, so her infinite xp trick thus only raises the skill itself. If she had taken that Owthbound Healer class option she had a while ago it would probably have made Oath a class skill, at that point?

This brings up the interesting possibility of the oath becoming a class skill for Mother of Modern Medicine. If so, it's possible the backlog of experience will give Elaine a *lot* more levels than she is expecting.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Somehow the RPG part of Littpg's has become better then the games it came from for me.
Not needing to worry about balance can be a wonderful thing.

Also, a fair number of them rely on the idea that there's an omnipresent AI or similar running the MMO that can intervene if things get too out of hand.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Wittgen posted:

I am rereading Beneath the Dragoneye Moons and I was reminded that Elaine gets a small percentage of the xp earned by anyone who uses her oath. Given she's the mother of modern medicine and presumably a lot of people have used her oath over the last 20,000 years, why isn't she higher level? Did the XP not accumulate while she was faying, or did Auri eat it all up? Maybe it's just a small enough percentage to not matter, but I'm curious if I'm missing something obvious.

Her *Oath Skill* gets a small % of all experience. Hence it capping out instantly upon THE THING, and it'll forever be capped. However, that's NOT her class levels.

Also, it's a bear of a skill to level normally, so getting a perma-capped Oath is fantastic for her power levels.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Interlude 3: JFC snatcher was on a whole nother loving level of power :catstare:

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
TWI Patron stuff : I liked the plot, I think snatcher running about being invincible was a fun bit, but oh god so, so much of this massive chapter was snatcher getting circle beaten with sticks, running off while invincibly monologing, to the next group of people who circle beat it with sticks. The payoff was pretty good, but pirateaba really fell into the pit of having to show off every character as cool and strong, which drained a lot of the tension out.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

lol at pirate being so incensed at the plot of God of War Ragnarok that they wrote a 6k word rant about it, in the middle of writing that chapter.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The important question is how many people Elaine can kill in cold blood before Oath is no longer perma-capped?

I guess it'd probably start imposing penalties other than just level loss long before that point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Onehandclapping posted:

TWI Patron stuff : pirateaba really fell into the pit
:rolleye:

Also I was more excited speculating about how the pawn shop foreshadows/ties in to Erin's capstone than the Snatcher fight!

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
JaS Holy poo poo

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kyoujin posted:

JaS Holy poo poo

Yepp.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

JaS?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jackal among Snakes, I believe

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'Kendrithyst 173 - I like how there's a good explanation for why Rozeta was the only one who knew Erick was a Wizard (with her running the script and thus being the only one privy to the fact that Erick was personally contributing a huge amount of mana). Though it's still kind of goofy how she constantly jokes about him being a Wizard in her blue box messages to him throughout the story.

I want to learn more about alt-Erick that he met when doing the bizarre paradox thing. It's not entirely clear to me what happened there; was Rozeta making use of the other Erick's powers (who was already a Paradox Wizard and apparently found himself in some desperate situation)?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My read was that Rozeta wasn't using the alt-Erik. Rather, Erick used his wizard powers to reach an alternate version of himself while Rozeta supervised to make sure things couldn't go too horribly wrong.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wittgen posted:

My read was that Rozeta wasn't using the alt-Erik. Rather, Erick used his wizard powers to reach an alternate version of himself while Rozeta supervised to make sure things couldn't go too horribly wrong.

Yeah. Other Erick was fleeing Rozeta and probably a Forgotten Campaign, but our Rozeta didn't know that. All she knew is Erick's new Alternate Form thing was possible through an application of Deep Paradox and Wizardry. She just kept watch so nobody came along to gently caress with him during such a delicate operation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My best guess at alt-Erick's circumstances are that Jane just got unlucky and died at some point, which would absolutely make Erick start doing stuff like developing the "merge Luminous Beam and Cascading Scan" spell (particularly if she died as a result of some country/faction) and end with the Powers That Be cracking down on him.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. Especially because [current chapter spoilers, seriously don't click catching up guy] we know there's a fairly good chance that the entire reason they came to Veird is Erick wanted to be able to keep Jane safe and didn't want to die that badly. He might have known the CIA was best for someone with her temperament out of the available options, but that didn't mean he liked it. Jane ultimately dying as some way to gently caress with Erick would make him lose it completely lol.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think we actually know that alt-Erik's path diverged much earlier. There's a story about how he almost committed armed robbery when Jane was a baby and they were very impoverished. I think that's the divergence.

If that Erick, with less faith in others and more predisposed to doing what it takes, falls into Veird, well. those Incani assholes who welcomed into the world with hate crimes probably don't get met with such forgiveness. I figure him and Jane's circumstances spiral out faster. He has to lean into his wizardry much earlier and much harder, which destabilizes things and makes Rozeta an enemy. Jane dies. He plunges into the deep paradox to try and fix things, and loses the realness battle with our Erick.

That was my read at least.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A little update on what I'm reading on RR at the moment:

Beware of Chicken just hit a big, big story beat - MC's powerhouse cultivator grandfather finally arrived to his farm. Hijinks and misunderstandings are surely to ensue.

Dao of the Deal went on hiatus because of the author's medical issues. Shame - I thought it was going strong right up to the point he stopped. Hopefully he'll keep going if/when he gets better.

Immortality Starts With Generosity also went on hiatus but this one was because the author ran the story into the ground in its last dozen of updates or so. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious that the plot went off the rails and he was flailing. Again, shame - I was enjoying it up to the point where he swerved the wheel and sent it off the cliff.

Monster Menu, I've realized, is a very deliberate attempt to imitate He Who Fights With Monsters - an isekai MC whose connection to the litrpg system running the world manifests as a System, lots of cooking for some cozy flavor, wacky alien sidekick, very similar power/combat systems, the list goes on. Unfortunately, the story has heavily weighted into the "chapter after chapter of everyone in the party using their 20 magic powers to fight poo poo" side of the HWFWM equation lately, and this is why I got bored of HWFWM in the first place.

Modern Patriarch is still trucking along, slow and steady. It's not terribly exciting or flashy, but I still enjoy reading it.

Player Manager is, somehow, still very entertaining to read, despite being a soccer litrpg.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

Immortality Starts With Generosity also went on hiatus but this one was because the author ran the story into the ground in its last dozen of updates or so. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious that the plot went off the rails and he was flailing. Again, shame - I was enjoying it up to the point where he swerved the wheel and sent it off the cliff.

Dude what's with authors and like... Being afraid of sticking to what their story is lol. It could have just stayed a political drama with him and his wife's weird relationship evolving but no, we need dramatic xianxia bullshit and showdowns and a meditating in a cave arc because it's a xianxia and they all have that. When there was the first cave chapter I actually groaned out loud

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Dude what's with authors and like... Being afraid of sticking to what their story is lol. It could have just stayed a political drama with him and his wife's weird relationship evolving but no, we need dramatic xianxia bullshit and showdowns and a meditating in a cave arc because it's a xianxia and they all have that. When there was the first cave chapter I actually groaned out loud

i think it's a thing where the author starts out with a vague idea of "i'll introduce the story and characters like this, then pivot the story to the Main Plot" but it always turns out that what the readers wanted was basically an episodic series of arcs with the same tone and texture as the introductory arc

happens all the time even in professionally produced media

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean that does happen too but in this case there's literally more xianxia featuring all the generic elements than anyone can read in probably a lifetime, if you dig into the translated ones anyway. The last thing I want to read is another generic rear end one and no the receiving a hundred fold thing isn't enough to make it not generic. If that really was the plan, it was a really stupid plan. But considering he ran out of steam basically instantly I have a feeling there was no plan.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah that definitely felt more like, "I don't know where to go from here so I'll blow everything up and see what happens."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Larry Parrish posted:

I haven't read that specific story but the impression I got from the summary was the author probably started writing the story with a plan for the setting but not a plan for the story, and so just started... well, flailing is a great word for it. I've seen it before in webserials and it's always disappointing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bremen posted:

I haven't read that specific story but the impression I got from the summary was the author probably started writing the story with a plan for the setting but not a plan for the story, and so just started... well, flailing is a great word for it. I've seen it before in webserials and it's always disappointing.

Yeah. I'm just irritated because I actually liked the characters and the initial set up, despite how stupid the whole Isekai cheat power element was. It's frustrating when the random flailing of these poorly or totally unplanned web serials happens to start in an interesting place because it just goes nowhere.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I feel like it happens to almost all serials eventually. It's the curse of the media. If your story is popular enough, sooner or later the author runs out of stuff they planned and starts winging it. Monthly serials and serials where the author inserts breaks between books/arcs so they can outline the next section do better, but some of them fall into the same trap too.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Even good stories will very often die during the first Arc when the author hits the point where they have both not planned ahead and/or written ahead and they just cannot sustain the story and various life issues at the same time.

The successful ones generally have a short term and long term narrative goal. The short term is what each arc is about while the long term is what the story itself is about and may be years away but gives context.
The bad ones as pointed out generally either only have the initial arc thought out, only have a setting not a tory, or some combination of both and other random common problems like flat characters.

Honestly my issue with Generosity is that the MC's Power was not about being generous at all, it was just Investment without the time commitment.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadHat posted:

Even good stories will very often die during the first Arc when the author hits the point where they have both not planned ahead and/or written ahead and they just cannot sustain the story and various life issues at the same time.

The successful ones generally have a short term and long term narrative goal. The short term is what each arc is about while the long term is what the story itself is about and may be years away but gives context.
The bad ones as pointed out generally either only have the initial arc thought out, only have a setting not a tory, or some combination of both and other random common problems like flat characters.

Honestly my issue with Generosity is that the MC's Power was not about being generous at all, it was just Investment without the time commitment.

Yeah he didn't even plan the dumbass protagonist power out. He didn't seem to plan, uh, anything out at all. I don't like this kind of like, random dungeon generation storytelling where nothing exists outside of the current scene. It's bad writing.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

I feel like it happens to almost all serials eventually. It's the curse of the media. If your story is popular enough, sooner or later the author runs out of stuff they planned and starts winging it. Monthly serials and serials where the author inserts breaks between books/arcs so they can outline the next section do better, but some of them fall into the same trap too.

Chatting with other authors - most of the ones that are going strong and long-running have planned ends in mind. I think it helps the story not go off the rails when the author is deliberately moving towards a goal.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Can't speak about serials, but I know one of my bad habits as a writer is that when I start or with a new story, I have a few to half a dozen scenes planned out on my head that I'm super hyped about, and then as the story is actually formed, it can be really difficult to abandon those scenes if the story takes a form that doesn't suit them. Half the time I still try to force those scenes into the story, like the world's most freeform connect the dots picture

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Can't speak about serials, but I know one of my bad habits as a writer is that when I start or with a new story, I have a few to half a dozen scenes planned out on my head that I'm super hyped about, and then as the story is actually formed, it can be really difficult to abandon those scenes if the story takes a form that doesn't suit them. Half the time I still try to force those scenes into the story, like the world's most freeform connect the dots picture

The number of cool scenes I have rattling around in my head for months, if not years, that I need to axe last second because it doesn't work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Having a story that isn't largely planned out (at least in terms of "knowing how it's going to end") is possible, but it seems to require a certain sort of talent. I think that Forge/Threads of Destiny is one of the only situations where I've seen it work well (it's definitely the only serial I've read that does the "just following a person living in fantasy world" premise well). The author has to have a very concrete idea of both the setting as a whole and all of the characters involved (so they can always "bounce off of one another" in realistic ways, regardless of how they're combined). Forge/Threads of Destiny can have pretty rough writing in spots, but it maintains a consistency throughout that lets me overlook that. I've tried reading other "quests" (which I think is the term for those stories where readers make choices) but it's the only one I've been able to fully "buy into."