Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
so many software places do flexible working and let people chill and drink a bit in between working because it's a mentally exhausting job and those are reasonable measures to take to avoid people dropping out due to burnout

this moron here wants people to do stakhanovite programming and that's not something any human can do for any sustained period lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Frank Frank posted:

Trump already said he's staying on Truth Social - not that what Trump says means anything.
If Twitter wasn't exploding and burning I think he probably would, but not like, instantly. I read some guy who put it as "at this point Trump is on poster's methadone, and he would probably stay clean if he had the chance to get the real poo poo." Except the real poo poo is collapsing into the void.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sockser posted:

I don't want to link Dilbert, because gently caress Scott Adams, but these two strips have been lodged in my brain since I was single-digits old and they are very salient right now

is this the one where dilbert fucks?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

unzin posted:

Now this is some salient code

code:

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
	long i;
	float x2, y;
	const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
	y  = number;
	i  = * ( long * ) &y;                       // evil floating point bit level hacking
	i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the gently caress? 
	y  = * ( float * ) &i;
	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 1st iteration
//	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

code:
BEFOREHAND: close door, each window & exit; wait until time.
    open spellbook, study, read (scan, select, tell us);
write it, print the hex while each watches,
    reverse its length, write again;
    kill spiders, pop them, chop, split, kill them.
        unlink arms, shift, wait & listen (listening, wait),
sort the flock (then, warn the "goats" & kill the "sheep");
    kill them, dump qualms, shift moralities,
    values aside, each one;
        die sheep! die to reverse the system
        you accept (reject, respect);
next step,
    kill the next sacrifice, each sacrifice,
    wait, redo ritual until "all the spirits are pleased";
    do it ("as they say").
do it(*everyone***must***participate***in***forbidden**s*e*x*).
return last victim; package body;
    exit crypt (time, times & "half a time") & close it,
    select (quickly) & warn your next victim;
AFTERWORDS: tell nobody.
    wait, wait until time;
    wait until next year, next decade;
        sleep, sleep, die yourself,
        die at last

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kazil posted:

the videos are only 6 seconds, how hard could it be?

well rn Twitter can only manage 5 so they're gonna need a 20% video power boost

The Postman
May 12, 2007

twitter is going to free up so much boost power after they max deboost all of the hate speech i don't understand what's so confusing about this

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Klyith posted:

Well Tesla's stock chart currently looks like that slide in detriot that got in the news this summer for being dangerously steep and fast, so... yeah.

OTOH SpaceX is private, so it's insulated from Musk's buffoonery undermining confidence in the company in the short term. And it is mostly run by other people who are much better managers. And currently benefiting from all of their competition being equal if not greater buffoons.

I'm one of those weirdos that likes space rocketry, but I genuinely don't understand how they've at SpaceX managed to retain the competencies they have with this idiots "leadership". Like what loving dynamics are in play there?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

we all remember being 8 years old, sitting out in the sunny fields with our dog-eared dilbert compendiums, memorizing wry observations about semicolons and office monotony

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Quid posted:

What's the difference between max deboosted and demonetized and the shadowbanning that they were all crying about before?

Nothing, just that they can do it now, not (((woke elite mods)))

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is not a joke, this very thing happened at Facebook.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

crispix posted:

so many software places do flexible working and let people chill and drink a bit in between working because it's a mentally exhausting job and those are reasonable measures to take to avoid people dropping out due to burnout

this moron here wants people to do stakhanovite programming and that's not something any human can do for any sustained period lol

And Musk has given zero reason for anyone to want to do that hardcore programming. He’s made it obvious he’s a know nothing dipshit to every computer toucher in the industry. He’s offering some random vague “maybe stock for the best” nebulous promise. There’s only one reason why anyone would want to put up with this literal professional hell and it’s the chance to lick Elon’s boots.

Most of the engineers still there are likely stuck due to visas or health insurance or such.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

And the best part? Instead of just being some rank smelling fringe weirdo with an audience of a few hundred deranged fascist wish-tebators, he has the ear of Peter Thiel, the actual real life supervillain of our hell world.

It gets better than that because Thiel literally wants the sort of dehumanized hellworld of total technological control they imagine furry artists on Twitter instituting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Splorange posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that likes space rocketry, but I genuinely don't understand how they've at SpaceX managed to retain the competencies they have with this idiots "leadership". Like what loving dynamics are in play there?

He has bugger all control over it. He's just a PR man and figurehead while sensible people do the actual work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Splorange posted:

It is possible Musk was less up his own rear end at the time SpaceX was growing, but I imagine it's just the nature of the industry. At a certain point the Army shuts them down for being an unlicensed missile launching pad. The Army does not shut down Twitter for being a dumpster fire.

Yet

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That DICK! posted:

is this the one where dilbert fucks?

No, he still has the boner tie.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1593688500796170304

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splorange posted:

Gwynne Shotwell does the actual running of SpaceX, Musk just makes big statements and insists on dumb things with the Starship project.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nessus posted:

If Twitter wasn't exploding and burning I think he probably would, but not like, instantly. I read some guy who put it as "at this point Trump is on poster's methadone, and he would probably stay clean if he had the chance to get the real poo poo." Except the real poo poo is collapsing into the void.

I wonder where Elon is going to get his posting fix when Twitter dies

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

crispix posted:

Can't they just snort a bunch of coke and get on with it?! It's what he does probably!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

code:
BEFOREHAND: close door, each window & exit; wait until time.
    open spellbook, study, read (scan, select, tell us);
write it, print the hex while each watches,
    reverse its length, write again;
    kill spiders, pop them, chop, split, kill them.
        unlink arms, shift, wait & listen (listening, wait),
sort the flock (then, warn the "goats" & kill the "sheep");
    kill them, dump qualms, shift moralities,
    values aside, each one;
        die sheep! die to reverse the system
        you accept (reject, respect);
next step,
    kill the next sacrifice, each sacrifice,
    wait, redo ritual until "all the spirits are pleased";
    do it ("as they say").
do it(*everyone***must***participate***in***forbidden**s*e*x*).
return last victim; package body;
    exit crypt (time, times & "half a time") & close it,
    select (quickly) & warn your next victim;
AFTERWORDS: tell nobody.
    wait, wait until time;
    wait until next year, next decade;
        sleep, sleep, die yourself,
        die at last

ZORK getting pretty dark with its reboot.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Woolie Wool posted:

It gets better than that because Thiel literally wants the sort of dehumanized hellworld of total technological control they imagine furry artists on Twitter instituting.

Elon: buys Twitter, seagulls all over the place, loses 25 per cent of his fortune for no reason, is somehow the face of oligarchy

Thiel: founds Palantir, reads all your emails, interferes in elections because he wants an actual monarchy, thinks women should be euthanized and replaced with synthetic wombs, flies under the radar

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kazil posted:

I wonder where Elon is going to get his posting fix when Twitter dies
I believe if he retains ten dollars (US), there may be an opportunity...

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
how come the richest man in the world is a loving moron?

If I invested 44 billion dollars into a dying website (a dumb move), I would atleast try and not have it self destruct within the first week

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Gwynne Shotwell does the actual running of SpaceX, Musk just makes big statements and insists on dumb things with the Starship project.

ah there's an adult in charge, got it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Elon: buys Twitter, seagulls all over the place, loses 25 per cent of his fortune for no reason, is somehow the face of oligarchy

Thiel: founds Palantir, reads all your emails, interferes in elections because he wants an actual monarchy, thinks women should be euthanized and replaced with synthetic wombs, flies under the radar
I don't know I constantly hear about Thiel, up to and including his poo poo based on blood science that got superceded

What is probably the case is that nobody wants to be Gawker 2, and Thiel will obviously do it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splorange posted:

Musk doesn't actually run SpaceX (though he is listed as the CEO and CTO). He's the "idea guy".

The actual running of the business is actually done by Gwynne Shotwell who's a real and true engineer and not a coked up moron. I've heard (likely apocryphal) stories of how early on he was told to sit down and shut up because running a rocket company takes actual experience and knowledge and loving around can be life and death and the federal government crawling so far up your rear end they set up a base camp on your butt cheeks.

Still, I've also heard that he's had them re-invent the wheel there a few times, but from what I understand for non-critical pieces.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

The big new news from this article: Elon wants to shut down the data center in Sacramento, leaving the other two data centers to take the load.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

And the best part? Instead of just being some rank smelling fringe weirdo with an audience of a few hundred deranged fascist wish-tebators, he has the ear of Peter Thiel, the actual real life supervillain of our hell world.

*eyes Musk having a disorder*

*looks over at Thiel*

You know, I'm suddenly unafraid of either of these people; they seem very mortal, fallible, and also wealth-addled

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Nessus posted:

I don't know I constantly hear about Thiel, up to and including his poo poo based on blood science that got superceded

What is probably the case is that nobody wants to be Gawker 2, and Thiel will obviously do it.

Nobody likes to be reminded of this because it's deeply depressing, but: just by posting in this thread and engaging in news/politics stuff, even semi ironically or whatever, you are probably in the top two per cent of informed humans.

Sorry!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1593662005231099909

I’m starting to think Elon actually thinks everything is just fine and losing all critical infra teams is no big deal, let’s do feature work
this is the first good idea hes had so of course it wont happen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its really incredible that twitter had vine, it was immensely popular, they shut it down because all the big creators wanted to be able to monetize, and then like a year or two later tiktok comes along and eats their lunch doing the same thing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nobody likes to be reminded of this because it's deeply depressing, but: just by posting in this thread and engaging in news/politics stuff, even semi ironically or whatever, you are probably in the top two per cent of informed humans.

Sorry!
If I'm reading you right, the only hope is to get more humans in GBS

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

its really incredible that twitter had vine, it was immensely popular, they shut it down because all the big creators wanted to be able to monetize, and then like a year or two later tiktok comes along and eats their lunch doing the same thing

it's not really the same thing, though, is it? Doesn't tiktok mostly make money being funded by the Chinese government who gets full access to everything on tiktok?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593665774744350721?s=20&t=lbdGfdKvYl1v5VdJNhsTrg

"Mister Chapo come on down the zipline to Twitter HQ so we can share screenshots of code!"

This motherfucker really does think Remote devs are gonna jump on a plane, RIGHT NOW to come share screenshots of their code.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol at bringing back permabanned morons. I'm sure Twitter banned them impulsively and without any due diligence. Why does that behaviour sound familiar...

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Ever since elon sent out his "are you hardcore enough to save twitter 2.0 (check one): Yes No" ultimatum, I've been having "I told u I was hardcore" pinging around in my head, the last words of some dude that killed himself on stream via drug overdose and made the rounds here on the forums as a catchphrase like 20 years ago. Each time something new comes out it seems more relevant both to twitter's situation and the method by which elon decides to go out on like 5-10 years from now.

It’s increasingly obvious to me Elon doesn’t believe this is a crisis.
He seems to think the problem is dead weight employees gumming up the works.

He's correct, but he'll never identify the right one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

War Wizard posted:

Lol at bringing back permabanned morons. I'm sure Twitter banned them impulsively and without any due diligence. Why does that behaviour sound familiar...

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1593680546571616256?s=20&t=h9TS2aL4NIO_8xNRvhxBiA

Yup.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The big new news from this article: Elon wants to shut down the data center in Sacramento, leaving the other two data centers to take the load.

The load balancer can work twice as well only having to worry about two sites!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

it's not really the same thing, though, is it? Doesn't tiktok mostly make money being funded by the Chinese government who gets full access to everything on tiktok?
tiktok is not funded or owned by the chinese government, and they have as much access to your information via tiktok as the us government does via twitter and facebook (which is to say, a lot, but only when they specifically request it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

War Wizard posted:

i don't think jordan peterson or the babylon bee were ever permabanned, just probed until they deleted a particular tweet which they refused to do on principle

i dunno about the other one