Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Any time a right winger claims to like RATM or similar groups, they actually are listening to the lyrics. But then they assume that "the machine" is like... politically correct liberals and minorities.

I do feel a lot of folks just don't pay close attention to song lyrics. See also: Springsteen with Born in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

After I saw this video, it kind of explained a lot about all the Tesla malfunction stories:

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1591868427932962816?s=46&t=yAbh1w1QT1NZLlO2HGFrCQ

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

JazzFlight posted:

After I saw this video, it kind of explained a lot about all the Tesla malfunction stories:

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1591868427932962816?s=46&t=yAbh1w1QT1NZLlO2HGFrCQ

It's stuff like that that put me off ever buying one. Some car vloggers (like SavageGeese) say that it should matter, but they believe it does not because our definition of "luxury" is now more about how technologically new things look as opposed to more boring things like physical fit and finish.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the ad copy on tesla's website mentions that the dashboard panel/touchscreen is great for gaming, which to me seems like something you shouldn't be doing in a car.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Srice posted:

I do feel a lot of folks just don't pay close attention to song lyrics. See also: Springsteen with Born in the USA.

There are people that complain about the "wokeness" of modern Star Trek...

It's not just not listening to song lyrics, people will let their eyes glaze over and whatever media they are taking in gets boiled down to "oooo pretty picture" or "nice melody". Whatever message or theme is trying to smack them over the head, even if it is literally spelling it out, can just cruise on by. Then the thought goes as such "I liked this thing once, therefore it must support my personal beliefs"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lobster shirt posted:

the ad copy on tesla's website mentions that the dashboard panel/touchscreen is great for gaming, which to me seems like something you shouldn't be doing in a car.

You could do it in a level 4 self-driving car, which your Tesla will be any day now

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

At one point, trying to turn on gaming while the car was in drive would pop up a message that said "Warning: Gaming while driving is for passengers only." or something. I believe the NTSB or other US regulatory agency was looking into that, for obvious reasons.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://dailyprogress.com/news/nati...3b392adebb.html

GM is planning to have the capacity to build (and make a pre-tax profit from) 1 million EVs a year by the end of 2025.

Tesla is building up capacity too. In 2021, they built around 930,000 EVs.

https://insideevs.com/news/602725/tesla-3-million-cars-prduced-2-million-run-rate-2022/

I might be falling for sales puffery, but I think Big Auto is capable of catching up very quickly. It's more about whether its investors really want to.
In my parts, the Vietnamese company Vinfast is also gearing up to be producing exclusively EV vehicles in NC. Those are probably going to be in the $30,000 range, and have pretty generous warrantees.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eric Cantonese posted:

I've been wondering about their brand prestige. Are Teslas really seen as a baller vehicle now? I might be on the wrong parts of the internet, but the lackluster build quality and bad ergonomics seem close to common knowledge now.

• They cost more
  • There is a wait list
  • They are green and saving the world, unlike gas guzzlers
  • They are super gadgety and high tech
  • They've been to space
  • Until a couple weeks ago their owner was super cool and a real life Tony Stark

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lobster shirt posted:

Some of the games use the steering wheel of your car when parked and when you play them your actual wheels move back and forth and gently caress up the rubber on them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Here in Tennessee of all places there are a gently caress ton of model S driving around. It's obnoxious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

There are people that complain about the "wokeness" of modern Star Trek...

It's not just not listening to song lyrics, people will let their eyes glaze over and whatever media they are taking in gets boiled down to "oooo pretty picture" or "nice melody". Whatever message or theme is trying to smack them over the head, even if it is literally spelling it out, can just cruise on by. Then the thought goes as such "I liked this thing once, therefore it must support my personal beliefs"

I saw a guy on Twitter the other day go on a 100% serious rant about how all the woke SJWs have ruined Starship Troopers for him by constantly pointing out that it's actually the fascist humans who are the bad guys in the film and not the bugs. He bought into the propaganda whole hog, and could not deal with the fact that the movie was supposed to be ironic allegory.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is probably a better topic in AI or something, but I've always wondered what the Tesla ownership experience was like. Are the dealers nice? Is customer service good?

Tesla seems to have a very enviable headstart on making electric cars work and they have their supercharger network, but I imagine all of those technical advantages could get eaten away pretty quickly. GM and the German manufacturers already seem to have some good models in place. (I drove a Bolt. It was nice and I'd definitely own one now that they fixed the huge battery issue.)

Somehow even more bullshit than the norm.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/unauthorized-payments-and-auto-pay.244286/

https://www.newsweek.com/tesla-owners-report-app-being-down-locking-them-out-their-cars-1651495

Edit: say what you will of, Ford for example, but I don't think the CEO/dealership is gonna try and block your purchase of their vehicles if you make a "Fix or repair daily" joke.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 18, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lobster shirt posted:

The NHTSA already opened an investigation into them for this and Tesla had to disable the ability to play games while driving.

quote:

Tesla disables gaming while driving feature

It follows an investigation launched by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The agency said it had been informed by Tesla that a software update would disable the feature while driving.

quote:

Initially the feature was only usable when the car was stationary, but this was changed in December 2020 to allow gameplay when the car was moving.

The change was noticed by one Tesla owner, Vince Patton, who filed a complaint with the NHTSA describing it as "recklessly negligent".

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59781310

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Garland will announce later today that he has appointed a special counsel to prosecute events related to January 6th and Donald Trump.

No announcement on who it will be.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1593677924187734020

quote:

DOJ to announce special counsel for Trump-related Mar-a-Lago and January 6 investigations

Attorney General Merrick Garland plans to announce Friday that he has appointed a special counsel to oversee investigations into the retention of national defense information at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort and key aspects of the criminal investigation into January 6, 2021, according to a senior Justice Department official.

Both investigations implicate the conduct of Trump, who on Tuesday declared his candidacy in the 2024 presidential race, making him a potential rival of President Joe Biden.

Justice Department officials have been debating for weeks whether to appoint a special counsel, CNN previously reported.

Trump has sought to paint the investigations as politically motivated, including at his Tuesday presidential announcement, where he said he was the victim of a “weaponization” of the justice system.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The NHTSA already opened an investigation into them for this and Tesla had to disable the ability to play games while driving.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59781310

Being in IT makes poo poo like that a "WTF were you thinking?" moment. Everyone has a phone, why do I need my car to play games (which probably have major vulnerabilities I wouldn't want my car to have).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Garland will announce later today that he has appointed a special counsel to prosecute events related to January 6th and Donald Trump.

Why does this sound like Garland is passing the buck and when the special master doesn't prosecute he can say oh well that's their decision not mine?

If nothing else it means that absolutely nothing is going to happen for at least several more months.

Christ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Special Council John Barron reporting for duty.

For real though I've been promised charges and comeuppance for years, at this point I'll believe it when I see it. If they couldn't nail him when he was a disgraced loser who only didn't lead a coup because there wasn't a golf cart for him to drive, what're they going to do now that he's a candidate and has the "we can't do anything, it'd be political" shield he's so far been able to rely on?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cr0y posted:

What is the sound like Garland is passing the buck and when the special Messer doesn't prosecute he can say oh well that's their decision not mine?

That could possibly be what happens. Special Counsels are for when the DOJ prosecuting someone may be a conflict of interest or seen as politically motivated.

That's why Ken Starr prosecuted Clinton instead of the AG. Even if Trump never announced he was running for President again, they probably would have done it. But, once Trump announced he was running against Biden it was basically inevitable that they would appoint a special prosecutor.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cr0y posted:

Why does this sound like Garland is passing the buck and when the special Messer doesn't prosecute he can say oh well that's their decision not mine?

I don't think its reasonable at all to assume that the special counsel won't decide he should be prosecuted when it is so overwhelmingly obvious that he should.

This is Garland being afraid of being accused of acting on a petty grudge because the GOP denied him a supreme court seat.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sorry for the typos and very weird grammar I just noticed that my voice to text is totally not feeling me today.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Make Hillary Clinton the special counsel. She advised the House Judiciary Committee during Watergate so she has experience and she's very familiar with procedures around classified documents :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youth Decay posted:

Forget Barry O on SCOTUS. Make Hillary Clinton the special counsel. She advised the House Judiciary Committee during Watergate so she has experience and she's very familiar with procedures around classified documents :v:

That would defeat the purpose of a special counsel being someone not involved in the case, but would be a fitting continuation of the trend of "dumbest possible thing happens in U.S. politics" that has been nearly unbroken for the last 6 years or so.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

They announced that they will investigate. They’re appointed to investigate, prosecution is entirely optional. pic unrelated

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I don't think its reasonable at all to assume that the special counsel won't decide he should be prosecuted when it is so overwhelmingly obvious that he should.

This is Garland being afraid of being accused of acting on a petty grudge because the GOP denied him a supreme court seat.

To which I say who cares if it is. If Republicans didn't want this happening maybe they shouldn't have held up his seat for petty reasons :getin:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 18, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Glass half full: if you are a partisan hack who only cares about Trump to the extent that you could exploit this for maximum gain for the Dems, you wouldn't want to start the prosecution too early anyway. Torture the GOP during the primaries.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

They announced that they will investigate. They’re appointed to investigate, prosecution is entirely optional. pic unrelated

Yes. When you appoint a special counsel, it means they become the prosecuting attorney on the case. The actual name for it used to literally be "special prosecutor on behalf of the United States of America." The DOJ withdraws from prosecution and effectively appoints a conflict attorney (instead of the judge who usually appoints conflicts). Being the prosecuting attorney doesn't mean that you are necessarily filing charges, it just means that a criminal case already exists. The prosecuting attorney can still decline to pursue charges or nolle pros the case even after charges are filed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 18, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw a guy on Twitter the other day go on a 100% serious rant about how all the woke SJWs have ruined Starship Troopers for him by constantly pointing out that it's actually the fascist humans who are the bad guys in the film and not the bugs. He bought into the propaganda whole hog, and could not deal with the fact that the movie was supposed to be ironic allegory.

I have never understood these people. Like, even if you don't get the deeply creepy vibes the general military grunts and vets are putting out, or question service guarantees citizenship, you've got to catch on by the end. The framing, architecture, and officer uniforms are all very 1930s Germany inspired. There's so many things, screaming, "Fascist Nazi Parallel". Then at the end, just to make sure you get it, Doogie Howser walks out in an SS uniform and uses psychic powers to confirm that the bugs fear them.

BadOptics posted:

Being in IT makes poo poo like that a "WTF were you thinking?" moment. Everyone has a phone, why do I need my car to play games (which probably have major vulnerabilities I wouldn't want my car to have).

Look, if it's good enough for my phone to double check I'm not driving when moving too fast, it's good enough for my car when I use it's apps.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zotix posted:

Here in Tennessee of all places there are a gently caress ton of model S driving around. It's obnoxious.

West knoxville is ground zero for the kind of place that would consider a Tesla a status symbol 10 years after release. if it's something someone working a commercial insurance gig given to them by their father in law can get underwater on, they'll be all over it. This vid could be from Turkey creek and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1563654605413703680?s=20&t=EgxuqlPWlVtXumjkcKCpkQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember being assured that the Jan 6th committee leaving prosecutorial discretion to the DOJ meant they would never take any action and just let it quietly die, so this is a welcome development regardless

Gyges posted:

I have never understood these people. Like, even if you don't get the deeply creepy vibes the general military grunts and vets are putting out, or question service guarantees citizenship, you've got to catch on by the end. The framing, architecture, and officer uniforms are all very 1930s Germany inspired. There's so many things, screaming, "Fascist Nazi Parallel". Then at the end, just to make sure you get it, Doogie Howser walks out in an SS uniform and uses psychic powers to confirm that the bugs fear them.

I was one of those people, but in my defense I was a teenager

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FizFashizzle posted:

West knoxville is ground zero for the kind of place that would consider a Tesla a status symbol 10 years after release. if it's something someone working a commercial insurance gig given to them by their father in law can get underwater on, they'll be all over it. This vid could be from Turkey creek and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1563654605413703680?s=20&t=EgxuqlPWlVtXumjkcKCpkQ

Cedar Bluff rise up!

I lived just off Kingston Pike for about 2 years and will endorse your sentiment. I even knew an insurance adjustor dating my boss that bought a tesla. lol. lmao.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

I remember being assured that the Jan 6th committee leaving prosecutorial discretion to the DOJ meant they would never take any action and just let it quietly die, so this is a welcome development regardless

It doesn't necessarily mean one thing or another. It was triggered by Trump announcing his campaign and not any specific evidence or desire to prosecute.

Whether Garland desperately wanted to avoid prosecuting Trump or absolutely wanted to nail him at any cost, this would have happened anyway once Trump declared.

It's "good" in the sense that it means that Garland doesn't want to just throw the whole case. But, it's not that significant on its own.

If the likelihood of prosecution was a 50 on a 100-point scale before, then it is a 51 today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have a feeling this special prosecutor announcement is also because the Dems are losing the House and it’s investigative powers in January and won’t be able to refer charges that way

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have a feeling this special prosecutor announcement is also because the Dems are losing the House and it’s investigative powers in January and won’t be able to refer charges that way

Referring charges from the House has no binding effect on the DOJ. This was 100% triggered by Trump announcing that he is running for President against the person technically in charge of the DOJ.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gyges posted:

For what it's worth, the guy in question I was talking about has a long history of being very fash-friendly and is famous for running a still-updating-in-November-loving-2022 Gamergate webcomic, so we're dealing with a spectacularly dim bulb who's incredibly proud of his profound dimness.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are they going to announce who the special Master is today or just that they are appointing.... Someone.

Nm:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1593686545571119104?t=fBR5g9XtYe5F7FAEr_sTcA&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The DOJ is also opening an anti-trust investigation into TicketMaster and considering breaking them up - specifically undoing their recent merger and splitting up Live Nation from Ticketmaster.

https://twitter.com/nytimesmusic/status/1593666705263394816

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into the owner of Ticketmaster, whose sale of Taylor Swift concert tickets descended into chaos this week, said two people with knowledge of the matter. The investigation is focused on whether Live Nation Entertainment has abused its power over the multibillion-dollar live music industry.

That power has been in the spotlight after Ticketmaster’s systems crashed while Ms. Swift fans were trying to buy tickets in a presale for her tour, but the investigation predates the botched sale, the people said.

Members of the antitrust division’s staff at the Justice Department have in recent months contacted music venues and players in the ticket market, asking about Live Nation’s practices and the wider dynamics of the industry, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is sensitive. The inquiry appears to be broad, looking at whether the company maintains a monopoly over the industry, one of the people said.

Live Nation did not immediately comment. A spokeswoman for the Justice Department declined to comment.

Officials in the Biden administration have spent the last two years trying to push the boundaries of antitrust law. The Justice Department has mounted several challenges to major mergers, successfully persuading a judge to block Penguin Random House’s purchase of Simon & Schuster but losing some other cases. The Federal Trade Commission has sued to block Meta, Facebook’s parent company, from acquiring a small virtual reality start-up.

The new investigation is the latest scrutiny of Live Nation Entertainment, which is the product of a merger between Live Nation and Ticketmaster that the Justice Department approved in 2010. That created a giant in the live entertainment business that still has no equals in its reach or power.

In 2019, its last year of business unaffected by the Covid-19 pandemic, Live Nation put on 40,000 events around the world and sold 485 million tickets through Ticketmaster, according to the company’s annual report. Live Nation is one of the music industry’s biggest powers in the management of artists, meaning the personal representatives who negotiate business deals on behalf of artists. According its most recent annual report, Live Nation had 100 managers working with more than 450 artists. It does not manage Ms. Swift.

When the Justice Department approved the merger — over significant opposition from the music industry — it required the company to sell some parts of its business. It also reached a legal settlement with the company that forbade Live Nation to threaten concert venues with losing access to its tours if those venues decided to use ticketing providers other than Ticketmaster. Those terms were set to last for 10 years, until 2020.

In late 2019, after an investigation, the Justice Department found that Live Nation had repeatedly violated this provision of its decree. It extended the terms of the settlement by five years, to 2025, and adjusted some of the agreement’s language to clarify what the company was allowed to do when negotiating ticketing deals with venues.

Members of the Justice Department staff have asked whether Live Nation is complying with the agreement as part of their new inquiry, said one of the people with knowledge of the matter. Officials at the agency have grown increasingly wary of such settlements, believing the best way to settle antitrust concerns is through changes to a company’s structure.

The debacle involving Ms. Swift’s concert tickets this week has exacerbated complaints in the music business and in Washington that Live Nation’s power has constrained competition and harmed consumers. But it was also an example of extraordinary demand for a highly desired commodity in very limited supply.

The problems began Tuesday when Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan system, which aims to weed out bots and professional scalpers from the process, began doling out access codes to fans who were interested in buying tickets to Ms. Swift’s Eras tour, scheduled to start in March.

According to a blog post by Ticketmaster, which was published on Thursday but deleted within hours, 3.5 million fans registered for the program. The company “invited” 1.5 million of those customers to the presale by sending them codes, and the remaining two million were placed on a waiting list.

That day, Ticketmaster received 3.5 billion system requests, causing its app to crash for many users; some who were in the process of buying tickets with their codes were unable to complete their transactions. According to Ticketmaster, two million tickets were sold on Tuesday alone. Another presale, for Capital One cardholders, was held on Wednesday.

But Thursday afternoon, Ticketmaster canceled its plans for a public ticket sale on Friday, when it would typically sell any tickets remaining after presales. It was unclear how many tickets had already been sold for Ms. Swift’s tour, and how many — if any — remained.

On Friday, in her first comments about the ticketing debacle, Ms. Swift posted a statement to social media saying she was looking into the situation to see how it could be improved. But she also expressed disappointment in Ticketmaster.

“I’m not going to make excuses for anyone,” Ms. Swift wrote, “because we asked them, multiple times, if they could handle this kind of demand, and we were assured that they could.”

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Taylor Swift causes another break up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cr0y posted:

Why does this sound like Garland is passing the buck and when the special master doesn't prosecute he can say oh well that's their decision not mine?

If nothing else it means that absolutely nothing is going to happen for at least several more months.

Christ

This looks like he is trying to remove any appearance that a politically appointees person (eg. him) is determining if there should be a prosecution. This is a special counsel not the special master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cr0y posted:

Are they going to announce who the special Master is today or just that they are appointing.... Someone.

Nm:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1593686545571119104?t=fBR5g9XtYe5F7FAEr_sTcA&s=19

The Hague? Can we find an institution more suited for this guys work history short of some imagined “The Agency for Rules That Don’t Apply To Rich People”?

Imagine being a US prosecutor working at The Hague knowing this exists:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2002/08/03/us-hague-invasion-act-becomes-law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Service-Members'_Protection_Act?wprov=sfti1

This is parody, but whatever it is when it’s a thing parodying itself, without the remove of another person having to observe and react.

Not a great endorsement for the rule of law and it’s universal application, IMO.