Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

yaldabaoth is twitter's problem now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Lol at bringing back permabanned morons. I'm sure Twitter banned them impulsively and without any due diligence. Why does that behaviour sound familiar...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hI here is uh Elon,. I need everyone to come to my office today at noon an show me your most hardcore code printed out. I will fire who doesn't show up fair warning! The building will be closed all day today it is uh being fumigated you can't use the building today do not come to work. Also someone now what #include means? wHAT IS THIS?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Nessus posted:

If I'm reading you right, the only hope is to get more humans in GBS

The worst, weirdest D&D goon you can think of would probably be better than half the Dem senate caucus, let alone smarter than the average primary voter or whatever. Again, sorry!

repiv posted:

i don't think jordan peterson or the babylon bee were ever permabanned, just probed until they deleted a particular tweet which they refused to do on principle

i dunno about the other one

The truly hosed one, imo, is reinstating LibsOfTikTok, actual domestic terrorism pushers linked to bomb threats and other capital c Crimes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The big new news from this article: Elon wants to shut down the data center in Sacramento, leaving the other two data centers to take the load.

Toady: "Okay, Elon, we'll start a transition plan and..."

Elon: "Sorry, can't hear you over the bulldozer I'm driving through the data center wall!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Franks Happy Place posted:

The worst, weirdest D&D goon you can think of would probably be better than half the Dem senate caucus, let alone smarter than the average primary voter or whatever. Again, sorry!
Let's not go overboard about D&D goons. I'll accept 30%... but I don't know about half.

quote:

The truly hosed one, imo, is reinstating LibsOfTikTok, actual domestic terrorism pushers linked to bomb threats and other capital c Crimes.
well yeah, that's the idea; they win, they can do whatever they want. The problem is that at some point they will start losing the libs they want to troll and also the servers will go down. I legitimately wonder what's going to happen to people who are legitimately Twitter poisoned.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Endorph posted:

this is the first good idea hes had so of course it wont happen

It’s quite a few years late to revive Vine. They’d need to rewrite the whole thing and play catch-up.

Meanwhile Twitter itself has zero folks in the driver’s seat and is puttering towards a cliff, and the engine is clicking a lot, and does somebody smell smoke…?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you program like poo poo if you don't take regular breaks from it and clear your head

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Now that TikTok is established why would anyone give a poo poo about vine coming back?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cohsae posted:

Now that TikTok is established why would anyone give a poo poo about vine coming back?

maybe they want to be spied on by Americans instead of the Chinese, ever think about that?!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1593687573137874944

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

cohsae posted:

twitter had vine first, so surely they still have the first mover advantage?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cohsae posted:

google is struggling to get people to care about their tiktok clone despite it being welded to the side of the biggest video site on the internet

what does a vine relaunch have going for it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cohsae posted:

it could be tiktok for 50 year olds and Real American Patriots

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

So does this "shadowbanning in new words" prevent RT or quoting? Because the problem was never algorithmic, it was day to day poo poo stirrers spreading garbage that was increasing reach.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

215BCE - Antikythera, Greece
(Still by Geto Boys playing)

"oh i want it to know my birthday on mars oh i need to know which side of my rear end is facing the moon" what a loving prick build it yourself then

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Endorph posted:

it could be tiktok for 50 year olds and Real American Patriots

It only takes video if it detects you are in the driver’s seat of your pickup truck and are wearing sunglasses

The Postman
May 12, 2007

upon review of "the code" i have determined the primary data center is bloatware and will be shutting it down immediately thank you

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
You useless coding cowards I take a bunch of amphetamines and then write code for 16 hours until it's time to take a tranquilizer and sleep.

Thats what we all did at 3D Realms and it worked great until the company exploded. Get with the hardcore program.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splorange posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that likes space rocketry, but I genuinely don't understand how they've at SpaceX managed to retain the competencies they have with this idiots "leadership". Like what loving dynamics are in play there?

The main people he recruited early on (the real brains) had been in aerospace for a while, and in particular were people who had done innovative & interesting work that had gone nowhere. Some of them had been at bigger MIC conglomerates which just sat on and squandered their work. Some had been through a bunch of failed aerospace startups that had lots of ambition but not enough funding.

So when SpaceX started it was able to attract a ton of talent who has been frustrated until then, and there's no motivation to put in extra hours like "gently caress you, I told you so".

Fast forward to now and they have a huge burnout problem, but it's still the only company that's doing really exciting & ambitious ideas. So they still attract fresh talent. When your choices are Musk, Bezos, or LockMart you are compromising on something no matter which you pick.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gross, Jordan Peterson is a literal loving nazi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

It only takes video if it detects you are in the driver’s seat of your pickup truck and are wearing sunglasses
it boosts you in the algorithm if you say 'the MEDIA' like its a slur

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hi heathar this is elon, immediately reinstate the Babylon bee. This is an order. Elon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol if there was ever a broken clock is right twice a day moment.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Endorph posted:

tiktok is not funded or owned by the chinese government, and they have as much access to your information via tiktok as the us government does via twitter and facebook (which is to say, a lot, but only when they specifically request it)

What data could they glean from ppl that film themselves eating food loudly, cooking their flip flops and spray painting dumb stencils inside their house, anyways?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm glad i stayed on forums and IRC

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
no one can take my sweet fuckin IRC logs from me :cool:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

unzin posted:

What data could they glean from ppl that film themselves eating food loudly, cooking their flip flops and spray painting dumb stencils inside their house, anyways?

The tiktok app is legendarily full of as much hacky data harvesting as it can have. Things like they've been busted grabbing what you have in your clipboard a few times, uses all the tricks to monitor your wake and movements and location,etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hi Heather, this Elon again. Has the bee been reinstated already? I need it reinstated ASAP. Elon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The tiktok app is legendarily full of as much hacky data harvesting as it can have. Things like they've been busted grabbing what you have in your clipboard a few times, uses all the tricks to monitor your wake and movements and location,etc.

The built in browser in the tiktok app harvests everything you do.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

this is the first good idea hes had so of course it wont happen

I mean, is it a good idea? TikTok has already fully captured that space, and why would anyone leave that to go back to the ??? that is Twitter right now? And can Twitter even actually do it? I'm not sure they have the resources to roll something that large out with it being an even bigger dumpster fire than the main site right now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

crispix posted:

no one can take my sweet fuckin IRC logs from me :cool:

20 years of IRC logs. Every argument. Every cybersex session. Every drunken whine. Right at you're finger types

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LoL losing one billion dollar lawsuit cut that off ramp didn’t it AJ?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

T E A M S P E A K

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Proteus Jones posted:

the federal government crawling so far up your rear end they set up a base camp on your butt cheeks.

this is good, i like this, thank you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can't wait for Jorp to get in the maze, then.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I mean, is it a good idea? TikTok has already fully captured that space, and why would anyone leave that to go back to the ??? that is Twitter right now? And can Twitter even actually do it? I'm not sure they have the resources to roll something that large out with it being an even bigger dumpster fire than the main site right now.

what part of "hardcore" don't you understand????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
People keep bringing up how the World Cup is starting soon, and how that's a big problem. What's the specific issue - does the site just regularly get overloaded during it with extra traffic, and now it's thoroughly hosed because they currently have a less than barebones staff keeping things going?