Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

These high risk investments should NOT by down 90% because that's bad for me if that happens and we can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

jokes posted:

Bahamacoin

Bahahamycoinsnow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

resistentialism posted:

These high risk investments should NOT by down 90% because that's bad for me if that happens and we can't have that.

thanks for the discount, heh

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
where the gently caress did a 22 year old get >200k

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rich parents, my goon. He didn't earn it, that's for sure

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hazardousmouse posted:

where do you think lol

anyone whos rich in their 20s is extremely, extremely lucky. arguably anyone rich ever is just extremely lucky, but to be rich at 22 takes, like, genetic luck in the form of their parents having money

pretending its a loan or an investment or anything other than free cash is really funny. its even funnier when they lose it all on crypto, and pretend that's what loss is like. whereas if you did that with real money via loans or whatever, you'd be hosed

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Since a few people are not familiar with the "bahamas did the hack", its this

they took the crypto "for safekeeping", as one does

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

drk posted:

Since a few people are not familiar with the "bahamas did the hack", its this

they took the crypto "for safekeeping", as one does

I mean, there’s a press release and it’s public. How is this different the US seizing assets in a fraud?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

good art here forbes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What was this? It's been taken down.

Also screenshot tweets if it's anything anyone is going to think twice about in a few hours.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

What was this? It's been taken down.

Also screenshot tweets if it's anything anyone is going to think twice about in a few hours.

Its still up, Twitter is starting to show cracks, that's all.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, if the Bahamas "hacked" it by seizing it as part of asset protection for the sake of creditors then that's not terribly dissimilar from a trustee putting a hold on all assets while they sift through the debris.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its still up, Twitter is starting to show cracks, that's all.

Lol, yeah, the link in the post above mine works, but if you click my link it's broken. And as far as I can tell at a glance they're the same URL.

Good job on that severance package, Elon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol, yeah, the link in the post above mine works, but if you click my link it's broken. And as far as I can tell at a glance they're the same URL.

Good job on that severance package, Elon.

Yeah and if you goto the link and then refresh it comes back.

Somewhere a load balancer is screaming...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah and if you goto the link and then refresh it comes back.

Somewhere a load balancer is screaming...

Lol, yeah, just checked both links to test something in another thread and they're both working now.

This poo poo is like standing near a glacier and listening to the ice crack.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I mean, there’s a press release and it’s public. How is this different the US seizing assets in a fraud?

Yeah, not a hack.

The problem is that, according to FTX's new CEO J.J Ray III, the Bahamas took this money *after* FTX had already filed for bankrupcy in the US. This is problematic.

For a little more color, read the this court filing: https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/33/188450/042120648186.pdf

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That brings up interesting issues of jurisdiction, doesn't it? Where is a "wallet" for the purposes of whose law you apply?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

drk posted:

Yeah, not a hack.

The problem is that, according to FTX's new CEO J.J Ray III, the Bahamas took this money *after* FTX had already filed for bankrupcy in the US. This is problematic.

For a little more color, read the this court filing: https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/33/188450/042120648186.pdf

I get how FTX-US can file for US bankruptcy, but if you're not registered in the US, for example FTX-international, then what does it even mean to file for bankruptcy in the US?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Lol. This dude and his weirdo gang are in so much loving trouble

I'd bet real money that each of them have millions of stolen dollars squirelled away. Some of the gang will "disappear", and those who don't will hire fancy lawyers and be judged innocent, or at worst (for them), be given typical white collar criminal sentences like probation, or six months (after good behavior) in minimum security prisons.

They'll live the high life afterwards, but some or hopefully all of them will lose all their money to other people's crypto-bullshit schemes.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 18, 2022

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Eh, they're not old money. Old money gets a slap on the wrist, new money gets made an example of.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I get how FTX-US can file for US bankruptcy, but if you're not registered in the US, for example FTX-international, then what does it even mean to file for bankruptcy in the US?

According to the filing, the FTX entity in the Bahamas was a subsidiary of the FTX entity filing for bankruptcy in the US. They say US law supports thus transferring the subsidiaries bankruptcy proceedings to the US.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Have any of the exchanges that paused withdrawals this year ever unpaused them?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Tricky Ed posted:

Have any of the exchanges that paused withdrawals this year ever unpaused them?

That answer depends if you’re the Bahamas or not.

jokes posted:

Bahamacoin

Who let the pogs out? Who, who, who..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

hazardousmouse posted:

you've got that kinda money too you know *points to your kidneys*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kw0134 posted:

That brings up interesting issues of jurisdiction, doesn't it? Where is a "wallet" for the purposes of whose law you apply?

the other issue is whose wallet was it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Everything about this bankruptcy is going to be a magical shitshow and I'm here for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Bahamacoin

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ynohtna posted:

Bahahamycoinsnow.

letthedogeoutcoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the portrait of dorian gray except SBF's criminal sentence gets longer as caroline stays out of prison

drk
Jan 16, 2005
dream client continues talking to the press

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1593901896510603266

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1593901973572567045?t=f_ciMW23VbxI3TYZvECeqg&s=19

Sadly for him, their "extremely narrow domain" just happens to be keeping him out of prison

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well they gave him what he wanted, someone else to tell him to shut the gently caress up to avoid jail since the firm withdrew from representation. Prosecution futures keep skyrocketing.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I hear Alex Jones lawyers are after work, maybe they should give him a call

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1593901973572567045?t=f_ciMW23VbxI3TYZvECeqg&s=19

Sadly for him, their "extremely narrow domain" just happens to be keeping him out of prison

the fun part is, there is now a passable argument SBF has waived attorney-client privilege in everything that lawyer told him

which uh might be why paul weiss discovered a "conflict" (their desire to not look like loving morons conflicted with their representation of him)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1593803197780353024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

lol dont coin and tech bros constantly talk outside their domain of niche gambling all the time?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can understand wanting to come out an apologize for stuff, though I do know enough that if my lawyer tells me to shut the gently caress up, I do it.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Too much of a conscience to listen to the lawyer and focus purely on self-preservation, but not enough of a conscience to stop you from defrauding investors and using their money to buy you mansions. Dude is all over the place.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

acidx posted:

Too much of a conscience to listen to the lawyer and focus purely on self-preservation, but not enough of a conscience to stop you from defrauding investors and using their money to buy you mansions. Dude is all over the place.

Well, someone needs to make nice with said investors for his next scheme :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

acidx posted:

a conscience when there might be consequences