Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol an NPC in Los Platos walked toward me and just phased out of reality like a ghost.

Game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

Lol an NPC in Los Platos walked toward me and just phased out of reality like a ghost.

Game rules.

"No, you're not the one."

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bar none, the worst thing about this game so far is that, no matter what way the camera is facing when you enter a building, it will shift 180 when you exit. I'm constantly re-entering buildings I just left because of this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HD DAD posted:

Game rules.

https://twitter.com/Alpharad/status/1593480110828462085

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Xander B Coolridge posted:

The "free" camera constantly adjusts itself behind your character, so if you're using it to look around you'll be fighting against it every few seconds

I get why they might want the camera to work somewhat well without using the right stick for kids that might be having a tough time with it, but they should at least put the ability to turn that help off in the menu somewhere.

Also, the camera movement feels really janky beyond the above issue. I'm not sure if the sensitivity settings they set are weird or that it has just been a while since I've played a game like this at sub-30FPS, but it just feels wrong.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the camera thing isn't an issue, you can just bully it into doing what you want by using the right stick. it's fine. there are much worse issues in the game!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet Nuzlocke, but if you fall through the world it counts as a party wipe and you need to start over.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I just reached the first town and so far haven't had any egregious bugs. The shadows are janky as all hell, but nothing like is shown in those clips. Playing on OG switch in handheld mode if it makes a difference, and I've been exiting the game between play sessions.

As someone who has been playing pokemon off and on since the OG gameboy, I'm so immune to bad graphics that I've been having a pretty fun time so far. Spent a couple hours doggedly ignoring the quest objectives and just wandering the hills, capturing pokemon and attempting to skyrim my way up hills. It does feel a bit beta-quality, though, so your miles may vary. I found plenty of red item drops and yellow TM drops, but what that purple drop (looks like a sword stuck in the ground?) that I couldn't reach because it was across a divide?

I did want to ask if there's a trick to "auto-battle"? When I google it, I see claims that I just need to throw out my lead-pokemon with ZR and it should run up to pokemon and win/lose quickly and without input from me. My experience has been that I either hit a pokemon dead-on (in which case I start a player-controlled battle), or if I just fire a pokeball at the landscape, my pokemon will follow me but won't attack wild pokemon at all. Do I need to unlock something first?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I just reached the first town and so far haven't had any egregious bugs. The shadows are janky as all hell, but nothing like is shown in those clips. Playing on OG switch in handheld mode if it makes a difference, and I've been exiting the game between play sessions.

As someone who has been playing pokemon off and on since the OG gameboy, I'm so immune to bad graphics that I've been having a pretty fun time so far. Spent a couple hours doggedly ignoring the quest objectives and just wandering the hills, capturing pokemon and attempting to skyrim my way up hills. It does feel a bit beta-quality, though, so your miles may vary. I found plenty of red item drops and yellow TM drops, but what that purple drop (looks like a sword stuck in the ground?) that I couldn't reach because it was across a divide?

I did want to ask if there's a trick to "auto-battle"? When I google it, I see claims that I just need to throw out my lead-pokemon with ZR and it should run up to pokemon and win/lose quickly and without input from me. My experience has been that I either hit a pokemon dead-on (in which case I start a player-controlled battle), or if I just fire a pokeball at the landscape, my pokemon will follow me but won't attack wild pokemon at all. Do I need to unlock something first?

You need to press r (not zr) to send them out on their own

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I don't have any particularly funny twitter clips or anything, here's a video I took from my own switch:

https://i.imgur.com/CCVCCAy.mp4

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game could surprise me later but that one scene at homeroom is probably the worst the game's ever looked.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Clocks posted:

I don't have any particularly funny twitter clips or anything, here's a video I took from my own switch:

all those kids are just working on their popping and locking
working as intended

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bugs and lovely coding aside I'd still already rate it higher than SwSh because you actually get to do things in the plot and they wrote some fun characters instead of...Hau without the humanity and Two Rivals Appearing Twice Each.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly i'm liking the game a lot even with the performance issues and an open world.

Its interesting to see a Pokemon game that's got a sense of ambition. Like, y'know compared to other Pokemon games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The game is good, yeah. That's part of why I'm so annoyed at the awful performance

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Countblanc posted:

man just playing this game feels awful. i was ready for the Big bugs like characters t-posing in cutscenes or stretching like Luffy. that stuff makes me laugh. or like that gif of the trainer whose arm bends the wrong way during the photo mode as a flying mon just phases through her dome, basically anything that makes a funny gif is cool by me!

but the actual moment-to-moment stuff really drags the experience down and is sapping my desire to keep playing. framerate stuff bothers me not because it looks bad, but because it makes your character feel less responsive and worse to control. similarly it feels like every action has a huge delay and pause - throwing a pokemon takes forever, starting battles isn't nearly as snappy as it needs to be (and was in previous games, including PLA), walking around towns feels like really awful. the environments are super sparse in terms of both foliage and npcs. the mons look better than previous 3D entries but any time the camera pans around the world and an npc goes "look at the beautiful landscapes you can explore!!" it feels like parody.

just interacting with the games basic features like moving around the world or navigating menus just doesn't have the snap to it that rpgs need to not feel glacial. idk. i'm just really disappointed. ill keep with it because i want to hear all the great music (though itd be nice if trailers had more than one [1] pokemon so i could hear the battle theme without deliberately sandbagging) and learn all the new mons and moves, but this is by far the least fun ive had just piloting a character in an rpg in some time.

Same here. I only got to play for an hour and half last night but everything just felt incredibly sluggish and unfun. The frame rate was garbage the whole time and it made even simple traversal on foot feel stuttery and unpleasant. I had multiple other issues including a black screen in the loving starting house while trying to walk down the stairs, and I had to mash buttons to get out. I hope Gamefreak finally gets significant enough backlash that the people in charge start to care, because this is insane. Like, I knew it would have issues but this is kinda bumming me out. Maybe I should try handheld because people itt seem to be having better luck that way.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 18, 2022

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Loving the new raids. They were by far the best part of sword and shield and I'm glad they not only brought them back but also improved them for this.

The game is great so far, which yeah makes the poor performance and bizarre feature removal hurt more. Although I've been playing handheld today and the performance issues are at least a little easier to swallow like this instead of docked and plugged in to my big computer monitor lol. Still not good though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It needs like 6 months of work just for optimization tbh. It's honestly annoying how good the game is under it. If it was SwSh quality I could have just written it off at least.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So are the bugs and glitches really as bad and prevalent as advertised? If so I may hold off on picking up SV until they get some patches in to fix it and improve the performance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So are the bugs and glitches really as bad and prevalent as advertised? If so I may hold off on picking up SV until they get some patches in to fix it and improve the performance.

You will see slowdown, you'll see a lack of antialiasing, you'll see weird decisions about dropped frames in crowded scenes. It's not like, heaving with bugs, it's not unplayable, but that's going to be a matter of luck.

As others have said, the reason it's particularly annoying is that the game itself is *very good*. It's the Pokemon game I've wanted to play for ages (though I would want more fashion). It's just that it only mostly works.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got trapped next to the TV in my house 5 minutes after starting the game because the camera stopped following me and wouldn’t pan back out, so my guy was stuck in the back third of the room.

I could pan it right though and the whole screen would go black because I was obviously clipping through the wall with that locked door on it lol.

Had to close and reopen the game to start over.

Good work Gamefreak!

My starter is female though so I’m gonna take a breeding break once that opens up and get a whole box of Quaxlys to trade.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016
I feel like I'm playing Early access pokemon.

Game is good though on first impression. I like the pokemon that's literaly just a flamingo with no alterations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

National Parks posted:

I feel like I'm playing Early access pokemon.

Game is good though on first impression. I like the pokemon that's literaly just a flamingo with no alterations.

Tandemaus and Maushold take the cake for me in “this is kinda lazy but I love it”.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can I not just have my Pokemon follow me? I absolutely blazed through the tutorial boxes because this game vomits so much text at you when I just want to get going so I may have missed it. But R does have the Pokemon come out of the ball, but apparently he'll get into fights on his own? I'd rather they... not do that, but I'd like to still have them follow me. But also if you get to far he just auto goes back into the pokeball. Can they not keep up?

Also wow this game runs like crap. This and the second Rabbids game are really bumming me out by how bad they run

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played long enough to get to the school yet. But I made it half way and have like, 20 pokedex entires. And I gotta say. I'm glad even my rival didn't pick the duck. The duck deserves to get stuff in a locker at the campus. Love my pal Fuecoco so far though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Was gonna maybe hold off for a bit, but I was already out to get my Omicron booster and decided "gently caress it" and grabbed a physical copy. Went with Scarlet to spite all the idiot morons dissing my good friend Koraidon. Can confirm there are a lot of idiot morons out there, the case in the store had ~3x as many Scarlets left as there were Violets.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Clocks posted:

What's really weird to me about this is immediately after it went into controllable gameplay all the students had normal framerate animations.

I played a decent amount today due to slow work and while the framerate issues and pop-in is very noticeable I'm also having a really good time. I haven't played a Pokemon since part of X/Y and I love all the new mons and the music is fantastic. Really wish I could at least have a different color palette for my uniform if they're not gonna let me change it besides the seasonal uniforms but it's not a big deal either. Have two very good dogs in my party and love the fire crocodile starter since it reminds me of totodile which is my favorite starter. Not sure what to think of the new gimmick that crystallizes pokemon but the raid battles and such have been fun enough so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Koraidon looks about 1000000% better in its flying or powered down states.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zore posted:

Koraidon looks about 1000000% better in its flying or powered down states.

Why did they give it wheels when it doesn't actually use them....

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Macaluso posted:

Can I not just have my Pokemon follow me? I absolutely blazed through the tutorial boxes because this game vomits so much text at you when I just want to get going so I may have missed it. But R does have the Pokemon come out of the ball, but apparently he'll get into fights on his own? I'd rather they... not do that, but I'd like to still have them follow me. But also if you get to far he just auto goes back into the pokeball. Can they not keep up?

Also wow this game runs like crap. This and the second Rabbids game are really bumming me out by how bad they run

If you hit ZR and throw the ball at nothing in particular, your lead mon should just pop out and follow you without wandering off to fight things.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Macaluso posted:

if you paid attention you would have seen that the game told you to press ZR to put the pokemon back in the ball :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New terror unlocked: I want to evolve the new mons but I don't know if they have requirements as for once I went in unspoiled. I sure hope Cruggy the weird berry dog hybrid doesn't need a certain move and phase of the moon to evolve so I can swap it out at some point :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

New terror unlocked: I want to evolve the new mons but I don't know if they have requirements as for once I went in unspoiled. I sure hope Cruggy the weird berry dog hybrid doesn't need a certain move and phase of the moon to evolve so I can swap it out at some point :v:

You need to put your fidough in an oven.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Holy crap gimmighoul is tiny! I thought a rock had a single hair but lo and behold, it was a little guy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Flopsy posted:

You need to put your fidough in an oven.

:mods:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
started up the game and goddamn paldean tauros looks rad as hell, im glad that i managed to keep myself mostly unspoiled for a lot of the new mons

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I will be so impressed if they don't have a crafting feature in the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

These hoppips are a goddamn hazard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I will be so impressed if they don't have a crafting feature in the game.

rip your expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mr E posted:

Why did they give it wheels when it doesn't actually use them....

You ever see Fred Flintstone’s car?