Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

POKEMON SCARLET AND VIOLET ARE OUT, TIME TO WANDER AIMLESSLY FOR 700 HOURS

Welcome to the world of Pokemon! I'm just some guy on the internet, but what is Pokemon? Well, it's a bunch of fun RPGs and also the biggest financially successful franchise of all time. But you're not here for the cool stats, you're here to understand why this franchise is still going after all these years, and why the weed cat is wearing a sparkly hat:

For the latest Scarlet/Violet info, please check the [url=]next post[/url] as this is a more general introduction to the Pokemon franchise. If you want to know the ins and outs of what you just missed on the last generation on the Swithc with Sword/Shield/DLC, then refer to the previous OP.

Discord to discord things in.

Hammerite posted:

Pokémon is a JRPG for the Nintendo 3DS and now the Nintendo Switch. Unlike most RPGs though, in Pokémon your party members are cute (and sometimes not-so-cute) monsters that you caught, tamed, and trained to battle. Each Pokémon can learn a variety of skills (called moves) and has a special ability (a special rule or power which allows it to bend or break the normal rules of the game in some way). Different Pokémon species also have different strengths and weaknesses (some are physically stronger than others, for example, and some are faster or bulkier) and different elemental types (sending out a Fire-type Pokémon against a Water-type opponent is typically a no-no, for reasons anybody can probably understand).

The objective of the game is to travel from town to town, defeating other trainers in battle, collecting a variety of Pokémon and earning Gym Badges before eventually defeating the best trainers in the land: the Elite Four and the Champion. But once you've done that, there's so much more you can do! Pokémon is nothing if not social, and this has become only more true over time as players have gained more ways to connect to one another, world-wide. You can trade with other players and try to put together a complete collection of Pokémon (sure to take you a while, given that there are more than 700 in existence, many of them with multiple different forms to keep track of). Or you can try to be the very best, like no-one ever was, and destroy all-comers in PvP battles. Or you can just potter around watering berries in your garden. Or you can hang out, chat, and make and/or share artwork. There are many facets to Pokémon, and each of them has its devotees.

:siren: Help I haven't played Pokemon for a million, billion years and there's apparently 1000 of these drat things what game do I play first?????? :siren:

As always, the most recent game is the best introduction into the series, which would be Scarlet and Violet for the Nintendo Switch. If you don't have a Switch, then jump right into Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, they're the best 3DS games and the best way to get stuck in. If you're happy after that, then go for XY, then ORAS, then SM, then all the DS games, basically just play whichever one you fancy. Pokemon is a fantastic entry series for RPGs and you can just try any you fancy, but know that they will play differently and get a bit worse the further you go back.

What Pokemon do I catch? Is my starter any good? Do I need to worry about IVs or EVs or whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The single player story of any Pokemon game isn't going to be very difficult. You could beat the entire game just using your starter, but it is a lot of fun to field a full team of six of the coolest creatures you find. Very few Pokemon are completely unusable in the main game (they're usually gimmicks and/or have low stats), so if you like the look of something, use it! If it doesn't work out, use something else, but try not to make a habit of that, as you'll fall behind the low level curve if you keep rotating things out.

If you want to go into competitive, then Scarlet and Violet is where it'll be at! Regardless, it always requires a fair amount of research to keep on top of everything, so it's a real investment. But it's a lot of fun and it's really surprising how deep the battle system is. If that doesn't float your boat, then feel free to explore the region, catch all the Pokemon and try out new features. Battling is only scratching the surface of all the many, many, MANY things you can do in the series and it's up to you to find your niche.

Man these games are way too easy, not like back in my day!

While there are some difficulty spikes, usually in the form of boss battles, or rare random trainers, Pokemon is overall a very easy series that allows you to create your own difficulty. Are you sweeping the Ice Gym with your level 50 Mega Blaziken? Well, maybe that's why you're having an easy time. Later games give you many more options in both attacking moves and Pokemon availability, so you will be stronger overall than you might be in Gen 2, for example, where a lot of Pokemon had only moves of their own type and Normal moves. How times have changed.

If you're playing Gen 8 and on then unfortunately you can't turn off the Exp. Share, and with experience from catches and a plethora of Exp Candies from raids and the like, it's very difficult to stay within the game's curve, but it means you're able to do pretty much whatever you want, and grinding for postgame online battles is super, super easy! The first expansion, Isle of Armor, adds an extra exp modifier on top with the Exp. Charm, so don't go there at the start of the game if you want some semblance of challenge. For Gen 6 and 7, turning off the Exp. Share might be an option, or you could leave it on and constantly rotate team members. There's a lot of freedom in how to construct your team and the Pokemon you can use, so if you're complaining that the games are too easy, then do something about it! Or maybe single player Pokemon just isn't for you and you would do better with stupidly hard/edgy romhacks, or going into the competitive side.

What were the most recent introductions to the series? (Gen 8)

The big newest addition is the Fairy type, bringing the number up to 18. As such, a number of old Pokemon and moves changed typing to give Fairy some variety and to shake up the competitive scene. Overall, it's pretty strong, but a cool addition to a fairly stale type chart, as well as Steel losing its resistances to Dark and Ghost.

Dynamax and Gigantamax are the hot new mechanic letting Pokemon become BIG and also BIG with a unique move. It combines Z-moves and Megas in an interesting way and of course breaks the single player component in half. Lot of fun, but we likely won't see it again for a long while.

Galar returned to the Gym system but made it a much bigger event than before, so it actually feels important going around and beating scrubs up in a large arena. Took a step back on the story, but with always on Exp Share and being able to catch a million Pokemon at once it's not a huge deal as you blast through things.

The Wild Area was the preamble to the open areas of Legends: Arceus, and the full open world of Paldea, letting you see Pokemon just chilling out in the wild and also attacking you and annoying you. You couldn't catch Pokemon that were too high level, but you could do a lot of things to bend and break the expected curve of the game, it's a lot of fun and also a wild mess, that's Pokemon now I guess.

Gen 8 was also where they just eased up and let you have a wide range of tools to build up competitive mons, from letting you relearn moves easier, to shiny hunting, to improving IVs, to being able to change basically every aspect of your mon except for gender.

You could camp with your Pokemon and have them all hang out and talk and you could play fetch and watch a Snom go 5cm an hour, all great stuff I assume, since most players just ignored it.

Customization lets you change your outfit in certain Boutiques in various Galar cities, to really make your character unique. You can even change your hair style, hair colour, skin colour, eye colour and even REMOVE THE HAT! This is a super big deal btw.

For Gen 9 introductions, please check the next post which goes over each of the new features.

How do I get my Pokemon from generation to generation?

Transfer chart by Aristide

While there's no way to get Pokemon between Gen 2 and Gen 3 due to incompatible data structures, you are free to trade Gen 1 Pokemon between Gen 1 and 2 no problem using the Time Capsule, so long as they don't have any Gen 2 exclusive moves. You can move Pokemon from Gen 3 all the way up to Gen 9 using different transfer methods, but it must be done one generation at a time.

Gen 3 to Gen 4 requires a DS with a GBA slot. Simply insert your Gen 3 game into the slot and use the Pal Park in a Gen 4's postgame to transfer them up, six at a time, once per day (or unlimited times a day if using HeartGold and SoulSilver). It is a one way transfer, like with the rest of the methods and requires you to go around and catch your new Pokemon in a large natural area.

Going from Gen 4 to Gen 5 requires two DS systems (3DS is fine also) and uses the DS Download Play. Again, you can transfer six Pokemon at once using a bow and arrow minigame with a time limit. It kinda sucks. You can also use the Relocator to transfer up special event Pokemon from Gen 4 to unlock special events in Black and White, such as the shiny Legendary Beasts and Celebi, though there's no way to obtain these now, especially the Lock Capsule to obtain TM95 Snarl, as that was never released.

Gen 5 to Gen 6 is the easiest method, but requires Pokemon Bank, an online storage system that's around $5 a year and lets you store 3000 Pokemon in ~the cloud~, as well as the Poke Transporter, both of which can be found in the Eshop. You can transfer the entirety of Box 1 of your Gen 5 game into Pokemon Bank to then use in your Gen 6 game.

On January 25th 2017, Pokemon Bank was updated for Gen 7 compatibility, allowing you to not only bring Pokemon from Gen 6 forward (thought without items), you can also transfer Pokemon from VC Gen 1, though glitch Mews and Missingno. are not allowed. Backwards compatibility is not possible, though you can still keep a living dex for both generations, you just can't take any new Pokemon out into older games. Pokemon transferred from Gen 1 will have at least 3 max IVs, their HA and a small Gameboy symbol.

On November 20th 2017, Bank was updated again to allow transfer of Pokemon from VC Gold and Silver (and later Crystal), allowing every generation of Pokemon to finally link up to Gen 7. Like with Gen 1, those transferred will have at least 3 max IVs, their HA and a small Gameboy symbol. You can even transfer a shiny Celebi from VC Crystal, now that the GS Ball event is finally available to those outside of Japan. Happy days.

Pokemon Home is the main way to get mons from Gen 7 to Gen 8, as well as an overall hub for some Pokemon that aren't in the Galar games. You can connect Bank, Let's Go, Go, SM and USUM, but it's all one way. There's also a fair few moves that aren't in Gen 8 and you'll be encouraged to delete them, so keep those in Home if you want to keep them. It's a bit of a wonky system, but it looks like the main transfer hub for a long while to come, so you should probably grab it.

In Spring 2023 Home will be updated to allow connection between Home and SV, finally allowing Hisuian Pokemon their first modern game that isn't Go or Cafe Remix, as well as a bunch of other mons you can see in the code. As you'd expect this is all one way, so make sure you're putting Pokemon into the games you want them in, cause Home will be their only other option!

Are the anime/manga/side games any good?

Give them a go and see how you like them. The latest anime forgoes the usual formula and has Ash and Gou, uh, GO around the world doing all sorts. There isn't a massive endgoal for this series, so it's a fun romp week to week but otherwise it's a little unfocused. Still, you'll see old characters and Pokemon and remember that this drat show is over 20 years old. As always with the anime, don't expect anything all that impressive or crazy out there. Meanwhile, the Pokemon Special manga has many different arcs to read and different protagonists to follow, making it pretty excellent overall. There's a million other manga, but it's up to if you want to indulge in the more obscure aspects of the franchise.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is the best of the side series, so jump in with the most recent one, Pokemon Red and Blue DX, a Switch remake of the GBA/DS originals. The Pokemon Ranger series are also quite good, as is the Pokemon Colosseum series for the Gamecube. There's also Pokemon Conquest if you like your strategy Samurai Warriors. The various Free to Play games range from mediocre to terrible, so if you want to try out Masters, Unite or GO, then feel free to. As with most mobile games, greed and powercreep have taken over so they are actively bad to play, but they also have their unique Pokemon gameplay, so do whatever. Go especially can be quite useful in transferring over rare and shiny Pokemon to HOME, and technically features more Pokemon in it than the main series does, since it now has all 9 generations of Pokemon. Pokemon GO does have its own thread.

Which is the best Pokemon?

The one you like the most. It is also someone else's worst Pokemon. There are no winners when it comes to Pokemon opinions.

This OP is terrible and I don't know what any of this poo poo means!

That's the idea, best to dive right into the thread discussion and have a good time! Our resident Pokemon Masters will happily answer your questions and queries on any aspect of this nearly 30 year old franchise. Talk about the anime, push your opinions while dismissing others, argue about which is the worst Pokemon and how the new designs are totally NOT Pokemon. Best to keep all this poo poo contained here then to spread it to the rest of the forum. You loving nerds!!!

Real handy links

Official sites: Official Pokemon website, Pokemon's official Scarlet and Violet website, Pokemon's official Legends: Arceus website, Pokemon's official Sword and Shield website, Pokemon's official Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee website, Official Pokemon Youtube channel

General reference sites: Serebii, Bulbapedia, Marriland, Legendary Pokémon, Psypokes, Veekun, Pokebeach.

Sites focused on battling discussion: Nugget Bridge (VGC Doubles focused), Smogon (6 vs 6 Singles focused).

The Pokémon Global Link, Current type chart (Gen 6+), Type chart for Gens 2-5, Type chart for Gen 1

Other Pokémon-related threads on SA (which may or may not be active)

The trading thread
The Goonleague thread (Currently archived! Please start a new one!)
Thread for the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
Thread for Pokemon GO
Thread for Pokemon MastersEX
Thread for Pokemon Unite
The previous megathread
All the other previous megathreads (Thanks OhFunny!)

If you have a burning need for these threads, either resurrect them if they're dead or quiet, or go to the Pokegoons Discord where you'll have more luck.

Hype level?

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SV reserve

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And for whatever the gently caress they do after

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like Pokemon, and I am NOT sorry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mega64 posted:

what the gently caress

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

DIGIMON

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

ME TOO :shepspends:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'll get the thread started: your favorite Pokémon is the worst one and my favorite Pokémon is the best one, happy to help.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
What kind of Pokémon are you?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slaking is the best pokemon but I am sure the new pokemon will be cute and good enough

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I love the smell of a fresh Pokémon thread

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Mods, ban this filth.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm going to, play the new Pok
émon game.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Hoping this is the gen they nail 3D.

Edit: They in fact, did not nail it this gen, they regressed even.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 19, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite pokemon is Sunkern who is factually the worst one and I don't give a gently caress, he's great

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Sableye owns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thats a lot of dogs

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

What kind of Pokémon are you?

A moist one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite Pokemon are not in Scarlet or Violet but they do at least have a lot of new interesting friends.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/wz7O2LB.mp4

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LMAO oh sweet Jesus this Gen's gonna rule.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as always here is your reminder that pokemon saying their names is stupid, the anime has it wrong, the games have it right, cute digitized animal noises for life :palmon:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thats a lot of dogs

Frankly not enough, but at least we can all agree on their goodness

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

as always here is your reminder that pokemon saying their names is stupid, the anime has it wrong, the games have it right, cute digitized animal noises for life :palmon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAJ9w5kszc

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good lord this is embarrassing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zore posted:

My favorite Pokemon are not in Scarlet or Violet but they do at least have a lot of new interesting friends.

Same, but so it goes.

I'm going to limit myself to one past-gen mon for my Violet playthrough, make myself get out of my comfort zone.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

Pikachu in the MGS2 helicopter scene: No! That man is not Pikachu!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

get out of my comfort zone.

Where we're going, we won't need comfort zones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StYCKFtb7Cg
:colbert:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Flopsy posted:

LMAO oh sweet Jesus this Gen's gonna rule.

if you reverse the gif it's kinda like she's throwing up a jpg of a sandwich. just something to think about, about pokemon

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

personally can't wait to wander around the starting area aimlessly only to get owned by something that's overwhelmingly strong

the starting area is giving Great Plateau vibes

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

if you reverse the gif it's kinda like she's throwing up a jpg of a sandwich. just something to think about, about pokemon

You and I both know that sandwich is a hallucination.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
do you have to buy the bread in this game?

or can you go into the sandwich shops and say, "can I have some bread? It's for a duck."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that's a good dog

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pokemon colosseum ftw

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Someone reminded me today that there's a sex lizard Pokemon and I've been mad about it for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beezus posted:

Someone reminded me today that there's a sex lizard Pokemon and I've been mad about it for hours.

Why?