Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

Ok, discovered real fast that Sardinian Cliffstomper is really not something you want to put in a two color deck (or perhaps any deck)

fadam posted:

That's the 0/4 guy who gets bigger if you have four mountains? He sucks imo.

hes very good in mono red but yeah dont play him in a two color deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Bin-Kroog, can be hilarious in constructed too. “What if aggro, but I reload my hand every turn????”

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

7-1 with RG powerstone control which I guess is a thing, this format loving rules and goddamn am i running hot right now

https://www.17lands.com/deck/77b517b6fbaf4bfc9069f69b7b353bce/1

conclusions: titanias command is a disgustingly good card

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I am so bad at BRO drafting. So, so bad :negative:

I only play on mobile so I can't post the 17lands (I think??), I feel like I've been drafting well but have been getting absolutely rocked by bombs in almost every game. Gah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
5-3 with izzet artifact ramp, lots of ways to make stones and big Boys. ALSO HELM OF THE HOST lol

I think people are under rating combat courier, that little dude does so much

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I've only played three drafts so far but have really enjoyed it so far. Haven't run into too many mind-destroying bombs yet, so I can't really judge how bomb-y the set feels.

It does seem like a fun cat-and-mouse game between aggro decks and slower rampy decks, if that balance holds, its a good format.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

resistentialism posted:

Someone give me some thoughts on cuts here. A lot of good stuff to use but I'm not sure what exactly the gameplan ought to be other than the ramp into some big dumb idiots part.

I will take a stab.

+1 Steelseeker
-1 scatter ray -1 gift -1 key -1 recluse -1 depth charge colossus -1 island

With your card draw I would dump anchor for 2nd Shoot down and look to add the 1G prowler for something. Maybe 8/6 menace for the mill robot but rares are fun? Bigger and mill can generate unearth and other bonuses for opponent

Anyone care to critique this build? I have not played UR before but my 2nd and 3rd packs had bombs so yay. Archaeologist is good?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

10 drafts still in the war chest, time to mount up

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2accc3db2dab4e578ba1d086d48e734d

RB sacrifice locked in pretty late when I opened the Misery's Shadow P3P1. Before then I was hedging with blue, and although I got the adjacent gold cards, it doesn't feel like they are worth a splash? I already have enough in RB to pick from, and to build around the Junkyard Genius. I need to cut 9 cards lol. Thinking:

The Blast Runners have pretty good stats on 17Lands. They incentivize me to play those cheap sacrifice artifacts, and maybe one or more of the bitter reunions for filtering?
Steal and Sac seems viable? I have two Junkyard Geniuses and two Thraxodemons.
I don't know how aggressive I would want to be though, versus leaning into the value engines. Visions of Phyrexia was my starting rare and it seems pretty good? Remorse and Unleash Shell to take out the major threats, build up mana for Keening Stone and Heavyweight Demolisher to close?

Edit: oh i forgot about the clay revenant i had in the sideboard, this is tough lol

Edit 2: oh poo poo it's sacrifice permanents for these cards and evolving wilds counts, the ol fetchland trick

I think I am leaning in this direction. I dropped Gixian Infiltrator and Skullflayer because they seem to have bad stats compared to the other creatures. I also declined to include Clay Revenant because even with the sac synergy it seems clunky. Keeping Roc hunter because of reach, Ashnod's Harvester has good stats (sniping the graveyard seems important?) Also cut the Heavyweight because I think I'm either clearing the board and getting in with the squad, or I'm gumming things up and Keening out, and I didn't need what that card was doing.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 19, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kalel posted:

you know who doesn't use emotes? that's right, elesh norn. in fact she wants to remove all the emotes.

just saying. it makes you think

Phyrexia: All Will Be Emoteless

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
4th or maybe 5th time's a charm. First pack was all over the place, I could probably have reasonably done any combo of RGB, but clearly BU draw two was the way to go. Wheeled Stern Lesson somehow in P1, and opened Gixian Puppeteers P2. Wheeled an Evangel too. On the whole, I found this one to be a lot of fun. Never got blown out with Precursor Golem, and there were a few times just dropping 9 power on the board saved my bacon. No regrets there, even though I didn't have much to take advantage of it. Won out from 2-2, so felt really good about myself. Helm of the Host sucks. Especially on that Simian counter dude.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

10 drafts still in the war chest, time to mount up

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2accc3db2dab4e578ba1d086d48e734d

RB sacrifice locked in pretty late when I opened the Misery's Shadow P3P1. Before then I was hedging with blue, and although I got the adjacent gold cards, it doesn't feel like they are worth a splash? I already have enough in RB to pick from, and to build around the Junkyard Genius. I need to cut 9 cards lol. Thinking:

The Blast Runners have pretty good stats on 17Lands. They incentivize me to play those cheap sacrifice artifacts, and maybe one or more of the bitter reunions for filtering?
Steal and Sac seems viable? I have two Junkyard Geniuses and two Thraxodemons.
I don't know how aggressive I would want to be though, versus leaning into the value engines. Visions of Phyrexia was my starting rare and it seems pretty good? Remorse and Unleash Shell to take out the major threats, build up mana for Keening Stone and Heavyweight Demolisher to close?

Edit: oh i forgot about the clay revenant i had in the sideboard, this is tough lol

Edit 2: oh poo poo it's sacrifice permanents for these cards and evolving wilds counts, the ol fetchland trick

Ditch the trench stalkers, the 2 big artifacts, skullflayer, vermin, both chanters, and a reunion. thats 9, right? also bring in the wilds for sure. You always want your first 1-2 copies even in a two color deck AND its a sac effect for your runners

not having a bull for cheap sac kinda hurts and makes the steal and sac stuff worse, but this looks pretty good to me. 4 runners is kinda sicko

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A good beginner's resource for draft (I think you're talking about that since you mention picks, Sealed is when you get 6 packs and open them all to use)

Thanks I did mean Limited Draft or whatever the normal thing you all are doing and talking about in this thread is. I don't normally play this genre of video game so the vocabulary is new to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

babypolis posted:

Ditch the trench stalkers, the 2 big artifacts, skullflayer, vermin, both chanters, and a reunion. thats 9, right? also bring in the wilds for sure. You always want your first 1-2 copies even in a two color deck AND its a sac effect for your runners

not having a bull for cheap sac kinda hurts and makes the steal and sac stuff worse, but this looks pretty good to me. 4 runners is kinda sicko

Hmm maybe I'm overvaluing stalker, i guess it's not really going to be a trick to turn on if my card draw is all face-up abilities lol. I could cut the one i have left and bring an infiltrator back in

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

and just as I was saying I couldn't draft BRO, my first trophy with this.

excavation explosion did a ton of work, fall of kroog actually won me more than one game, I got Mishra out twice and he was immediately impactful. Horned Stoneseeker! Taking as many of those as possible in the future. Having a 2/2 with evade AND ramping with powerstones was great. Dropping a steel exemplar on turn 4 wrecked a few plans, especially when backed by an unleash shell

strongbull feels like one of the best cards in limited, it's very flexible with being able to sacrifice so many different artifact sources (powerstones especially) and do non-combat damage.

Dreams of Steel and Oil is also a great card, even if you don't hit an artifact taking out their best creature permanently definitely swung a couple games from my opening hand

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 19, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which will get me more V A L U E if I'm mediocre at draft magic, Traditional or Premeiere?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Premier Draft because you only need to go 3-3 to break even on gems per pack and it's matchmade so when you're starting out you play against other bronzes. Once you hit Plat you either have figured out if you wanna keep playing Premier or you dive into Traditional and hope you queue into people worse than you cause the prize pool really stinks if you lose early.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Anax and ferocidon quite the combination.

Has anyone else on the phone client noticed an uptick in how much arena uses your battery? Seems like this update is burning through mine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh just lost a draft match after turn 1 hang cost me my first land drop. ANd just had to force quit after it went to black screen once I'd lost.

No idea whether it cost me the game but given how tight it was it might well have.

Now to see whether i get a refund I guess. I haven't the last few times I've tried.

Good deck too, nice low to the ground fliers (ironically) UW aggro deck. https://www.17lands.com/deck/34642e8c8f2e4e4ba6d0e3af7135c6b7

Haven't seen the Helm of the Host so far, which makes me sad.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Bugsy posted:

Has anyone else on the phone client noticed an uptick in how much arena uses your battery? Seems like this update is burning through mine.

Yes, they must have hosed up something in the client because both my phone and PC are getting red hot after about 10 minutes of play. Phone battery dropping percentages super fast. I have an iPhone 14 too so not like I’m still trying to run this on a potato.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm a bit slow with my drafts and quite busy, so I only got one in so far, still wanna talk about it.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9dd5fb2ae1df4c728de3c9a57733e853

3-3

I got passed two temporal anchors which I got screamed at to both include, so I did, even though I didn't really feel it, haha. The games I won, it did come down early and stayed there and just drew me three cards a turn, so it was definitely The Bomb, no questions asked. However, I actually won every game because of Gix, who is absolutely ridiculous.

This deck was overall quite weak, however, so I feel like the record is absolutely justified. Here's the issues I noticed:
- barely any interaction. Despite my colors feeling very open, I didn't get any removal spells, which is really weird. I did pass a Disfigure, I opted to not take the 4U one that can bottom something (Desynchronize), and because the Anchor is so heavily blue-demanding, I couldn't play my Corrupts. Maybe I should have, but most of the time, it would have been 3 damage for 6, which is very eh. Oh, actually reviewing the draft, I should have taken Powerstone Fracture over Hostile Negotiations, that always was bad for me in this deck, I never cast it and always just pitched it to Gix
- no way to actually win the game. I won because opps conceded as Gix just played their deck, and would deck them before I ran out of cards (I stopped opting to draw cards with the Anchor fairly early, because there's nothing good in my deck to draw. I can't really fly over them unless my Anointer can grow freely, I can't remove any of their blockers, it just stalled out hard while I waited to inevitably end because Gix is insane. Not fun at all
- barely any Powerstone generation. I passed a Koilos Roc and a Stern Lesson or two, maybe shouldn't have done that. This also made Mightstone's Animation MUCH weaker. I lost the final match because I simply had no target. Didn't feel great!

I wonder if I should have taken more Machine over Matters, there were a few options there. Maybe I also should have just ignored the Anchors after a bit of not seeing great blue cards, stuck to a mono-B plan and corrupted them with 4 copies of it that I could have had. I was overall glad to have tried out the Anchors, but again, it wasn't much fun if you can't actually cast good poo poo off them.

The draw 2 package worked super well, lots and lots of tiny ways to trigger it, I'm super happy to draft that kind of deck again, but better this time.

Onward to new shores!

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Got another prerelease code because I did an RCQ (I won!!!) and the LGS was using up their surplus prerelease kits.

69CC4-8DBFB-F50CA-EEF20-D33F7

wei fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 19, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

I did an RCQ (I won!!!)

congratties :)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

wei posted:

Got another prerelease code because I did an RCQ (I won!!!) and the LGS was using up their surplus prerelease kits.

69CC4-8DBFB-F50CA-EEF20-D33F7
I took the code - thank you very much! An congratulations!

wei
Jul 27, 2006

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I think the format is quite deep and a lot of fun, tho with the proviso I have not played against wurmcoil yet. The only true bullshit card at UC/C is Loren’s escape, which does way too much for 1cmc.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The r/b sac deck is very good. Easy 7-0

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Decided to open a Sealed for a change, feel comfortable with the amount of Gems I had to spare (even after being the pass).

https://sealeddeck.tech/WGpCsdy8Fj

The BG GY suite seems p strong, it should filter my draws well so I can hit my land drops, make Powerstones, drop bombs. Plenty of removal to either survive until I slam a Portal/big robot, or just win with efficient creatures, including a growing facethopter. Sucks to lose some excellent red cards, but I don't think the support is there. I don't think splashing is worth it even with two Wilds + filtering. Thoughts?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Simply Simon posted:

Decided to open a Sealed for a change, feel comfortable with the amount of Gems I had to spare (even after being the pass).

https://sealeddeck.tech/WGpCsdy8Fj

The BG GY suite seems p strong, it should filter my draws well so I can hit my land drops, make Powerstones, drop bombs. Plenty of removal to either survive until I slam a Portal/big robot, or just win with efficient creatures, including a growing facethopter. Sucks to lose some excellent red cards, but I don't think the support is there. I don't think splashing is worth it even with two Wilds + filtering. Thoughts?

Oh wow all three of your colors are awesome. I think you’re right that going for 3 color instead of 2 is a mistake. Some serious bombs in that pack.

I have been playing Azorious Soldiers so far and it is insanely fun. I’m down in Plat and nobody seems to remember what Dennick / Thalia do and they keep getting hosed. If you don’t hold up removal for the 2 mana flyer that gives all your 5 attacking dudes +1 +1 and flying you lose. Also if you forget to count the one mana Unearth soldier in the graveyard as one of the 5 attackers you lose. Black often likes to stall out the board with Sheoldred and a bunch of poo poo and this just leap frogs right over all of them.

Myrtael demands removal immediately. Guardian is still the same insane value engine from mono white aggro. The flyer that taps soldiers for 3 feels a little wonky because if you’re behind then it doesn’t help you catch up very well, but free card draw is insane and the body is decent too.

Then you have 2 mana lords with a graveyard recast, and 3 mana Siege Veterans that also demand removal.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Did some streamer publish a Urza historic brawl deck? More then half of my games today were against him. I am playing Elas il-kor, and while I won most games I do think that Urza should belong with the other UW planeswalkers.

Also, I noticed that the voice-actor says "Urza Planeswalker" like a name instead of "Urza, Planeswalker".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Done only 2 drafts so far but I feel so lost in this set lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm a bit slow with my drafts and quite busy, so I only got one in so far, still wanna talk about it.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9dd5fb2ae1df4c728de3c9a57733e853

3-3

I got passed two temporal anchors which I got screamed at to both include, so I did, even though I didn't really feel it, haha. The games I won, it did come down early and stayed there and just drew me three cards a turn, so it was definitely The Bomb, no questions asked. However, I actually won every game because of Gix, who is absolutely ridiculous.

This deck was overall quite weak, however, so I feel like the record is absolutely justified. Here's the issues I noticed:
- barely any interaction. Despite my colors feeling very open, I didn't get any removal spells, which is really weird. I did pass a Disfigure, I opted to not take the 4U one that can bottom something (Desynchronize), and because the Anchor is so heavily blue-demanding, I couldn't play my Corrupts. Maybe I should have, but most of the time, it would have been 3 damage for 6, which is very eh. Oh, actually reviewing the draft, I should have taken Powerstone Fracture over Hostile Negotiations, that always was bad for me in this deck, I never cast it and always just pitched it to Gix
- no way to actually win the game. I won because opps conceded as Gix just played their deck, and would deck them before I ran out of cards (I stopped opting to draw cards with the Anchor fairly early, because there's nothing good in my deck to draw. I can't really fly over them unless my Anointer can grow freely, I can't remove any of their blockers, it just stalled out hard while I waited to inevitably end because Gix is insane. Not fun at all
- barely any Powerstone generation. I passed a Koilos Roc and a Stern Lesson or two, maybe shouldn't have done that. This also made Mightstone's Animation MUCH weaker. I lost the final match because I simply had no target. Didn't feel great!

I wonder if I should have taken more Machine over Matters, there were a few options there. Maybe I also should have just ignored the Anchors after a bit of not seeing great blue cards, stuck to a mono-B plan and corrupted them with 4 copies of it that I could have had. I was overall glad to have tried out the Anchors, but again, it wasn't much fun if you can't actually cast good poo poo off them.

The draw 2 package worked super well, lots and lots of tiny ways to trigger it, I'm super happy to draft that kind of deck again, but better this time.

Onward to new shores!

Ok you pretty much said it, but also: when the draft gifts you four Corrupts, you do your hardest to make your deck mono black; and if you're playing UB draw 2, take Moment of Defiance it's a load-bearing player in that deck.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Ok you pretty much said it, but also: when the draft gifts you four Corrupts, you do your hardest to make your deck mono black; and if you're playing UB draw 2, take Moment of Defiance it's a load-bearing player in that deck.

I'd add that Stern Lesson is too, it lets you activate draw 2 on their turn.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What cuts/changes should I make to this deck? Do I need to change around the creatures to have a better curve or just cut some (maybe the final blastrunner, powerstone engineer, ???) or should I take out some of that removal? I've never had a deck with so much removal so not sure what to do tbh. Is ending up in a situation where I have no threats on the battlefield but loads of removal likely here? Should this be a more controlling deck instead and add the boulderbrach golem as another finisher?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

cut goblin and some combination of prison/shell maybe? Your power stone removal combos with vanguard and bull but you don't have too many good mana dumps for them aside bull and your unearth creatures. Also if you decide to use boulderbranch keep in mind you have 2 cindermaw.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Premier Draft because you only need to go 3-3 to break even on gems per pack and it's matchmade so when you're starting out you play against other bronzes. Once you hit Plat you either have figured out if you wanna keep playing Premier or you dive into Traditional and hope you queue into people worse than you cause the prize pool really stinks if you lose early.

3 wins only gets you 1400 gems, you have to get 4 to profit at 1600. Frustratingly, there is no "break even" point, you either lose 100 or profit 100

Edit: I'm stupid, you are counting the gem value of packs as well

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

for premier 3 is 1000 gems, 4 is 1400, 5 is 1600.

Since the context is mid-month bronze tier drafts the answer is to definitely do premier, preferably with https://www.limitedgrades.com/bro open so you can check the card quality quickly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol usually the first game is a gimme win but this is off to a terribad start lol

edit: lmao next opponent went turn 1 disfigure turn 2 disfigure turn 3 disfigure, let's see if they blew all their removal too early

edit: they had a fourth disfigure lmao

0-2, i have felt completely on the back foot the entire time, never able to go aggressive, forced on the defensive with lower life and lower cards at all times lol, i have to hit pause before i completely tank my campaign in the space of 10 minutes

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Thanks! I really wanted to be mono-B too but my spectators wanted me to play both Anchors...maybe should have stuck to my guns.

Moment of Defiance was absolutely not on my radar! Great tip

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

Thanks! I really wanted to be mono-B too but my spectators wanted me to play both Anchors...maybe should have stuck to my guns.

Moment of Defiance was absolutely not on my radar! Great tip

The next step time your spectators want you to put meme cards you can barely cast in your deck (7 islands/star/refractor ain't enough) instead of great cards, tell them you'll do it if they pay for the next draft lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Any suggestions here? https://www.17lands.com/deck/1a61c0496ec04da880cea75edb76f5db

Happier with this than most of my recent ones not least because of the density of decent rares.