Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

she's a member of the aristocracy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Jose posted:

Is she?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If she's not she's pretty drat close.

Wikipedia posted:

Hyde is the daughter of Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams, 2nd Baronet, and his wife, the former Diana Elizabeth Jane Duncan. Through her father, she is the granddaughter of aviation pioneer and Conservative politician Sir Rolf Dudley-Williams, 1st Baronet.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 18, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

vyelkin posted:

They've spent like $200B on this tournament, something like 10x the previous most expensive World Cup. The economic ROI was never there, and so far they're throwing away every last bit of sportswashing ROI by failing to maintain even a facade of progress on anything except advancing the interests of the state of Qatar. On that note, one of the few new bits of information I saw in that Netflix FIFA documentary was about just how many trade deals and arms contracts and so on Qatar was signing with various countries using the World Cup as a bridge.

Who are they going to get to use the weapons with their 300,000 actual citizens? Ann Arbor goes to war.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They just hand them out to the local sides they like. Helps keep the violence in Yemen ticking over etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jose posted:

Low hanging fruit amongst the media class. She's consistently brilliant and moreorless focuses her barbs on the right targets, so she gets a pass from me.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
mods rename me
Baronet Alastair Edgcumbe

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClGqmc8AyG3/

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Did anyone say "what a shitshow" yet?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

:ok:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

Low hanging fruit amongst the media class. She's consistently brilliant and moreorless focuses her barbs on the right targets, so she gets a pass from me.

wasn't she one of the jeremy cromybn antisemite smearers

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
stupid kufir, you cant buy booze if we take your money away too!!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elliptical Dick posted:

Did anyone say "what a shitshow" yet?

This is the pre-shitshow entertainment.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I found the clouds

https://twitter.com/b24pt/status/1593570335529410560?s=46&t=O4-FObjrdYwpAFtyjBp1_A

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're going to die. It will be funny, then sad.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mila kunis posted:

wasn't she one of the jeremy cromybn antisemite smearers

yes

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Jose posted:

its basically a requirement to get a column in the british press

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This photo of a fan accommodation site from the Guardian looks more like a prison camp where you break rocks all day

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
NOW!

HELLO, NOW!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

vyelkin posted:

This photo of a fan accommodation site from the Guardian looks more like a prison camp where you break rocks all day

Well you have to repurpose the venues after the event

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The party never stops at the FIFAtm Fan Gulag

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Those things have air conditioning. Those things have air conditioning, right? Right?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

swamp coolers

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone start a betting pool for body count of fans and players

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is like Sochi but a billion times worse. And the true shitshow hasn't even started.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Yes please

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

Those things have air conditioning. Those things have air conditioning, right? Right?
I believe they have fans. Those count as air conditioning, right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

I believe they have fans. Those count as air conditioning, right?

Realfans don't need no steenkin air conditioners!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Migrant workers flown back to their home countries before the games started, without being paid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-idyCP-YHo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

You can't stay a wealthy country by spending a ton of money! :v:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

mila kunis posted:

lmfao

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/fans-paid-to-attend-world-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled

Fans paid to attend World Cup by Qatar have daily allowance cancelled

Fan Leader Network money removed as people prepare to travel

This is extremely funny.

quote:

Fans were told in a message, seen by the Guardian: “Due to the recent developments in the media, we are keen to protect our visiting fans from the erroneous misinformed statements regarding ‘fans receiving payment for the trip’. Accordingly, the daily allowance will unfortunately no longer be issued. The allowance was intended as a small uplift on your own personal funds to assist with refreshments during your stay.”

As a result of bad press we're going to confirm we paid you and then not do it anyway.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive the stupid question, but what exactly are those "Fan accommodation"s?

Surely Qatar has enough hotel rooms to accommodate the anticipated dozens of international visitors? But are those all 5 Star rich people style hotels, and they couldn't be arsed building normal person hotels, (dont make enough money and have no utility in Doha beyond the WC), so they made a refugee camp instead?

Are these fan shipping containers at least segregated into different countries fans? Or will they room an Uruguayan Ultra with his Brazillian equivalent, in a confined space in the heat with no booze? That will go well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Holding out hope Qatar lock up the England band and throw away the key

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Surely Qatar has enough hotel rooms to accommodate the anticipated dozens of international visitors? But are those all 5 Star rich people style hotels, and they couldn't be arsed building normal person hotels, (dont make enough money and have no utility in Doha beyond the WC), so they made a refugee camp instead?

Are these fan shipping containers at least segregated into different countries fans? Or will they room an Uruguayan Ultra with his Brazillian equivalent, in a confined space in the heat with no booze? That will go well.

It's expected Qatar will have over a million visitors. It has a population of 2.7m people. There is no way they would have enough accomodation for everyone because the stadiums are all close together. Like everything else wrong with giving it to them this was known at the time

They're parking a cruise ship on the coast to house 4000 people lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can fit the whole population of Doha into the stadiums they've built so there was no way they could build enough hotel space.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And the other thing is that, as it should be clear by now, once the checks cleared and the wc was qatar's, they really didn't give a gently caress. Like, they could have done the whole olympic village prefabs like beijing did for the winter olympics but they really didn't give a gently caress.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1593872435698352129

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1593878104627372034

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1593878336299728897

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

Migrant workers flown back to their home countries before the games started, without being paid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-idyCP-YHo

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1593881030515113985?s=20&t=56CexKyXsiwkwbeL2YxsvQ