Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Angels who uhh are going to play him at SS???

Oh whoops for some reason I saw Los Angeles and just went straight to Dodgers instead of actually reading, lol.

I gues he's an upgrade at SS, goddamn I cannot believe a .767 OPS was a 121 OPS+ this year. Goddamn offense was depressed to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

So much for using the young kids at SS

That’s been a losing strategy since 1945

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
2022 offensive numbers were a real trip. Seeing a guy with a sub .700 OPS and they were still near the top offensively.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

after Correa re-signs.

lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Oh whoops for some reason I saw Los Angeles and just went straight to Dodgers instead of actually reading, lol.

I gues he's an upgrade at SS, goddamn I cannot believe a .767 OPS was a 121 OPS+ this year. Goddamn offense was depressed to hell and back.

Its more of a, can he actually play SS well enough since he's played like 30 games total there at the major league level.

I guess Rendon is going to get hurt for half the season at some point anyway so he'll just play there.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Good Dog posted:

Is the red 4 pointed star a throwback or been used before? Really dislike that M hat in general. The TC logo is great.

Nope, the star is new. Shame it's attached to the most bland hat design in franchise history. I'm guessing they'll ditch it in a few years.

The cleanup of the TC logo is good. It really needed added negative space between the C and the top of the T.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think its obvious he's backup in case the completely untested rookie SSs don't do anything. At worst he's a bench IFer and pinch runner, at worst he's another stop gap if the rookies are bad.

I really hate this place these days. You're all so nasty. Tired of being treated like poo poo by everyone. Tired of all the toxicity. Just tired.

You were only ever nice to me so let me give you some sincere advice I hope you take to heart: posting is supposed to be fun and if this thread is making you miserable, leave. Don't let internet fans ruin the sport for you man. They ruined it for me for years, I've never been so stressed about baseball during the playoffs as I have since 2019. One day, the Yankees will win the WS again and then you won't give a gently caress and you can return and post with joy in your heart. Like, I didn't stop watching Astros baseball for two years, I just didn't post about it because it wasn't any fun.

This thread is mean as hell, everyone hates their own team, their manager, their pitching staff, I dunno why. You go read the NBA thread and everyone there is having a blast, rooting for their losing team and getting excited about young promising players (not Kings fans). I dunno if that's because the nature of baseball is failure and there's kind of a crotchety conservatism that runs through the fandom or what, but I get it, I get how it can make you miserable, but this, baseball, posting, it's all for your own enjoyment so don't let the latter ruin the former and for sure don't do stuff that you aren't enjoying.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 18, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1593711871131267072

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

You were only ever nice to me so let me give you some sincere advice I hope you take to heart: posting is supposed to be fun and if this thread is making you miserable, leave. Don't let internet fans ruin the sport for you man. They ruined it for me for years, I've never been so stressed about baseball during the playoffs as I have since 2019. One day, the Yankees will win the WS again and then you won't give a gently caress and you can return and post with joy in your heart. Like, I didn't stop watching Astros baseball for two years, I just didn't post about it because it wasn't any fun.

This thread is mean as hell, everyone hates their own team, their manager, their pitching staff, I dunno why. You go read the NBA thread and everyone there is having a blast, rooting for their losing team and getting excited about young promising players (not Kings fans). I dunno if that's because the nature of baseball is failure and there's kind of a crotchety conservatism that runs through the fandom or what, but I get it, I get how it can make you miserable, but this, baseball, posting, it's all for your own enjoyment so don't let the latter ruin the former and for sure don't do stuff that you aren't enjoying.

Yeah and like imagine the last couple of years of posting for you as an Astro fan as like the entire time I’ve been posting as a Yankee fan. And this past year just wore me down with the extreme nastiness coming from both sides and non stop. Just hate, hate, hate. I’d say that people are having no fun but it’s clear they’re having fun at my expense. Ruining the game for me is their fun I guess. And yeah, I should just leave. It’s what I can control. But habits are hard to break and I keep hoping I can enjoy this game I love with others in a fun, civil way and not the nasty one sided poo poo talking way so many want.

I don’t even dare wander into NBA or NFL threads as a Knicks and Jets fan. I know full well my teams are the laughingstocks of those leagues and what people enjoy from them. I’m just a New Yorker so I don’t deserve decency or civility or whatever. I’m not an actual person. I’m just a Yankee fan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dominic Smith would be a great pick up by a rebuilding club.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah and like imagine the last couple of years of posting for you as an Astro fan as like the entire time I’ve been posting as a Yankee fan. And this past year just wore me down with the extreme nastiness coming from both sides and non stop. Just hate, hate, hate. I’d say that people are having no fun but it’s clear they’re having fun at my expense. Ruining the game for me is their fun I guess. And yeah, I should just leave. It’s what I can control. But habits are hard to break and I keep hoping I can enjoy this game I love with others in a fun, civil way and not the nasty one sided poo poo talking way so many want.

I don’t even dare wander into NBA or NFL threads as a Knicks and Jets fan. I know full well my teams are the laughingstocks of those leagues and what people enjoy from them. I’m just a New Yorker so I don’t deserve decency or civility or whatever. I’m not an actual person. I’m just a Yankee fan.

You should pick up hockey. No one’s mean to the NYR/NYI/NJD fans just for being fans of those teams.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know about the football threads but the NBA thread is the purest sports thread I've ever posted in, just zero bad vibes, no one is going to hate on you. Maybe it'll balance out the negativity here.

OH also the guy who posted "watch bush start a loving war" went on to become an insane Dubs fan and troll and got permabanned but still shows up, Seraph84-like, to troll the thread on an alt account for 2 hours and gets roasted by everyone until he gets permaed again, it's great.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Re: Urshela on the Angels. Fletcher will be the starting SS in 2023, Urshela will probably see some time at 1B now that Walsh is garbage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We'll see who's laughing in a few months! (It will still be you)

Oh also I think the new unis are fine but that M hat is gaaaaaaaarrrrrbaaaaaaaaaaaaage

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arivia posted:

You should pick up hockey. No one’s mean to the NYR/NYI/NJD fans just for being fans of those teams.

I checked it out during the playoffs last year and it was a ton of nastiness from the Pittsburgh fans for my team. So nope. Not there either.

But I don’t mind enjoying basketball, football, and hockey alone. They’re faster games and come 1-3 times a week. Baseball is baseball. It’s all immersive. It’s my favorite and has always been. It’s endless downtime. At it’s best it’s just chilling and having beers with cool people watching the game and shooting the poo poo. At it’s worst it’s a bunch of people angrily trying to drag everyone else down to where they feel so they can laugh.

Some people only enjoy sports as a socially acceptable excuse to treat others badly and feel superior.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

He's not a particularly good SS defensively, but Rendon will be hurt a bunch so he'll play 3B most of the time anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

because you know the Angels aren't in LA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No one writes puff pieces like Peter Gammons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

because you know the Angels aren't in LA

Neither is Cody Bellinger, at least officially
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1593741659300589568

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they will presumably attempt to bring him back for less than what he'd be due in arbitration

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1593742469912399873

lol imagine offering this trade 2 years ago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is a weird way to go considering Kiermaier is 6 years older than Bellinger, lacks the offensive up-side, and is now a less outstanding defender due to his age

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1593741653357260801

Cardinal hat aside I feel so bad for this dude. All the talent and stuff in the world, looked like he was gonna be bonafide ace, and then his body just absolutely refused to cooperate year after year after year. Hopefully he bonces back somewhere and finally strings together a couple healthy seasons.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

I know you're doing your normal shtick and trying to say the Cubs acquiring Chapman means nobody can criticize the Astros for picking up Osuna. Whatever you need to do to justify it to yourself forums posters Sab.

As always - just reminding you of your glass house for the next time you want to post about the toxic FO in Houston

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am begging you, shut the gently caress up Sab

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sydin posted:

Altuve cheated OP, just accept it and move on. Nobody is demanding you disavow him or the Astros but this shtick of yours has honestly gotten more annoying than mcmagic's routine.

Except he didn't cheat and I'm here to help you process that information despite the lies you've internalized over the years

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

seriously

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My favorite player didn't cheat because he is good and honorable. Instead he silently reaped the rewards from his teammates cheating around him. Try not to be jealous of what a great guy my favorite player is!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MadChoriyama/status/1536927386607841280

Fix this swing and you've got yourself an MVP caliber player

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1593744269663260677

top that, other 6 year olds.....

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why? Did the Cubs trade for a known domestic abuser in order to win a world series? Does forums posters Popete try to pretend that the Osuna situation was any different?

He should say why other than Astro bad. AFIAK no one from the Cubs FO was fired over it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

shouldn't you be embarrassed and upset for the kid since you are on record that his father is a complete and utter loser?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
all other teams and players are immoral cheating big jerks (except for Cubbies) compared to the impeccable Oakland Athletics where there is no budget for cheating and also everyone is traded away bi-annually

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

My favorite player didn't cheat because he is good and honorable. Instead he silently reaped the rewards from his teammates cheating around him. Try not to be jealous of what a great guy my favorite player is!

It's true that George Springer hearing a trash can bang in like half his games helped Altuve hit!

Has Clayton been able to wash off the maple syrup from his hand?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I recommend the sumo thread if people want a place that is non-toxic sports fandom on the forums. Since you're just rooting for guys instead of teams, if it turns out someone is a poo poo person you can just hate them.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to post about baseball, watch games, and have fun online. sending good vibes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Widespread institutionalized cheating isn't the same thing as typical sports poo poo talking. It's literally theft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Me: wow, 75 unread posts, someone finally signed?

:rimshot:

I guess technically IKF signed

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

It's true that George Springer hearing a trash can bang in like half his games helped Altuve hit!
it helped him get a ring you intentionally obtuse troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I'm at the point where the bulk of my annoyance the Astros cheated isn't about the integrity of the game or their fraudulent 2017 title, but rather that every time it comes up it makes this thread largely unreadable for a full day. Which is unfortunate because SAS is like the one place I've found on the internet where you can discuss sports in a way that doesn't immediately devolve in to rampant racism, sexism, and death threats.