Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hughes wishes he could have two robot girlfriends like House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Upside, it fights a giant cyborg ape with those lasers, so... I guess that's good?

So the comic industries obsession with apes in the 60s wasn't just limited to America? Interesting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

So the comic industries obsession with apes in the 60s wasn't just limited to America? Interesting.

Seems there was more in America, but yeah. Seen a few show up in old manga.

Continuing through to the end, Moon doesn't get better. There's a lot of awkward pacing from being collected, with cliffhangers repeating whole pages, and not even terribly interesting ones. There's a multimillionaire who makes a small army of robots, but who wants to spend the money on basically the playboy mansion... which he could have easily afforded if not for spending money on an army of killbots. (And also making robot suits powered by hypnotized old people because... themes?) Meanwhile, the kids develop psychic powers to make Moon fly.

Also, the last arc of the manga is a race of "peaceful, benevolent" aliens setting off a superweapon to wipe out humanity basically... because. It's not due to the villain of the arc so far killing their diplomats (because he's an rear end in a top hat). Just aliens... being assholes, but they're benevolent, no, really. And then everyone dies. The end! No moral.

I talked poo poo about Mars earlier in this thread, and I stand by it, but Mars at least had some thematic setup for its downer ending, and established the stakes from the jump. Moon just has the last part of the last arc be "aliens decided to kill all humans with doom mold because I don't know, heroes almost stop it, then die probably."

The manga also has a major structural problem, in that most of a given storyline is spent fighting things the protagonists are irrelevant against. Where Shotaro Kaneda is a crack shot ace detective when it's not time for him to bring out a giant robot, the kids here are just kind of... there. We get no less than three other characters who exist pretty much solely to bail the protagonists out when they're in trouble. Instead of protagonists doing things, they exist to stand around until something comes up that Moon can solve, at which point at least one of them goes missing or unconscious to create repetitive and low intensity dramatic tension.

This was, perhaps, the last Tetsujin style mecha manga before Mazinger Z rewrote things, and it really doesn't make much of a case for the old order here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mars benefits from being straightforwardly the plot of The Day the Earth Stood Still, if Klaatu finally decided the planet was not worth saving. It's fatalism is in clear commentary/communication with other works of cold war science fiction.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

new mecha game with designs by Ipperi Gyoubu. He has confirmed there will be a model kit

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1570162975574474758?s=20&t=h4TW6IKGU7q5a94BKNMwfw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

new mecha game with designs by Ipperi Gyoubu. He has confirmed there will be a model kit

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1570162975574474758?s=20&t=h4TW6IKGU7q5a94BKNMwfw

Cool now don't make it suck like New Gundam Breaker did, Bamco.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This is ancient, but I did finally manage to find out what this manga was about.

A giant robot is powered by the pilot's virginity, so sexy aliens try to seduce him to stop the robot. This is the plot of an actual manga that is currently being published, and the sad thing is that, at a glance, it looked slightly less fetishy than the previous mech manga by the same author.

So, at least that's an answer to the previous question. Now, back to being excited for more model kits of Gyoubu designs and hoping that the game will be good, especially since there hasn't been a new Armored Core announced yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny enough since I was asking about Aldnoah Zero the other week and they're playing one of the EDs on the radio at the Asian street fest right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

*sigh* yes, Netflix, I am excited for that

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1573892299498602496?s=20&t=XZB6x_19xobgh54Jf1t2Tw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good to see Ohtakagi still drawing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Studio NUT is making a new series called Bullbuster about a robot making company

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Studio NUT is making a new series called Bullbuster about a robot making company

They're apparently planning a multi-media project for it. Not a winning strategy lately, but we'll see how it goes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Has it ever been a winning strategy for anyone to start out planning a multi-media project, rather than making one successful product in a specific medium and then expanding out from there?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's worked for some idol/music anime e.g. love live but that's about it that i can think of

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the usual problem with planned multimedia projects is that the anime the rest is all based around loving sucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gripweed posted:

For a second I had hope that Studio NUT were making Ballbuster

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

Has it ever been a winning strategy for anyone to start out planning a multi-media project, rather than making one successful product in a specific medium and then expanding out from there?

I mean, I think right now at least half of Sunrise's income is from the horse girls. Which took the place previously held by Love Live

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sunrise does not have any horse girls, that's cygames

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tales of Woe posted:

sunrise does not have any horse girls, that's cygames

Oh drat. In that case Sunrise wishes they had horse girl money since everybody stopped caring about Love Live

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Patlabor?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

Oh drat. In that case Sunrise wishes they had horse girl money since everybody stopped caring about Love Live

After the ending of season 2 of Superstar? I'm unsurprised.

tsob posted:

I'd say .Hack, but that was a franchise that very quickly pivoted towards primarily caring about games with most of the other media being distinctly secondary.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yep. Anime, manga, and movies were all pretty successful, and there's supposedly even a revival project in play right now, although I'll believe that when we get a trailer and a launch date.

I'd also bring up Zone of the Enders as an edge case. It didn't make as much money as they'd like when they didn't have Metal Gear demoes to boost it, but three games, an OVA, and a 2 cour anime of decent quality isn't too bad. Wasn't a Gundam competitor like they would have wanted, but it wasn't a disaster like Megaton Musashi's initial sales either.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Im pretty certain there wasn't any pivot. .hack was always intended as a game series with an anime prequel show, cyberconnect2 is a gaming company

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ninjewtsu posted:

Im pretty certain there wasn't any pivot. .hack was always intended as a game series with an anime prequel show, cyberconnect2 is a gaming company

That's the thing, .Hack had a manga, a light novel, an anime series, and the tie-in OVA that all released before or alongside the original quartet of games. Even if the games were the ultimate goal they came out swinging with a bunch of non-game content going in many different directions with the setting, the manga series took place after the games, the light novel took place long before them, and the anime also took place before it and the events of all of them were somewhat tangential to the games. Only the tie-in Liminality OVAs were directly connected to the original .Hack games/took place at the same point in time and there still wasn't much overlap between them and the games. .Hack was, by my metric, planned out as a multimedia franchise. Heck, it was the first thing I remember explicitly being called a "multimedia project" back in the day which is why my mind went there.

And after that barrage of stuff plus another anime series and another OVA and two more bonus anime episodes and a couple more light novels we got to the GU era whose big franchise releases were an anime prequel that lead directly into the GU games and then the GU games. I call this a pivot simply because all the GU era material was focused on GU in a way that was different from the material released around original .Hack. There were a couple of manga and novel sidestories to the GU games, but those were all very much adaptations of GU or spin-offs from the GU games about characters who were in the GU games whereas the original .Hack era had multiple sidestories before and after the events of the games that often had exceedingly little to do with Kite or anyone else who plays a major role in //Infection et. al.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

.hack was definitely a Multimedia Project in the same sense as these ones today just with console games instead of mobage because mobage didnt exist yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All y’all getting subtweeted

https://twitter.com/ortho_fl/status/1600101823766855680?s=46&t=pl-TBYkWv711ocpTqOSvLA

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The idea is cool but the implementation kind of sucks because there's literally no way anyone would ever associate those with the intended inspiration under any circumstances unless you showed them that marketing picture, and at that point why spend the 100% markup those are probably going to cost?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A cane is the sort of tool some people might expect to use everyday of their lives for the rest of their lives. You might as well pay extra to get one you like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schwarzwald posted:

A cane is the sort of tool some people might expect to use everyday of their lives for the rest of their lives. You might as well pay extra to get one you like.

Yeah but those aren't even cool looking either. :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The feet are so close to being accurate

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Kanos posted:

The idea is cool but the implementation kind of sucks because there's literally no way anyone would ever associate those with the intended inspiration under any circumstances unless you showed them that marketing picture, and at that point why spend the 100% markup those are probably going to cost?

How else are you supposed to show secretly in the old folks home playing high-stakes cribbage you are A Real One?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
but does the getter cane split in 3 pieces?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

Yeah but those aren't even cool looking either. :colbert:

no, I agree, one with flame decals or like a carved raven handle is a 1000% cooler than just something vaguely reminiscent of a cartoon

but on the conceptual level it makes sense

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Well, at least they know their audience and that their audience is definitely not kids these days.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I got a younger friend with ortho problems seriously considering the Mazin Cane so it’s not just that. And hey, it’s profit for a paint job.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyRv0bwH2o

We're back. Absolutely killer sound design in this video. Just loving loud in the best possible sense.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Ichiro Mizuki has passed away. I don't know how many hours of his songs I've listened to over the years. He was still singing even for Mazinger's 50th anniversary. Rest in peace.

https://twitter.com/aniki_z/status/1602184533524508675?t=tWVA30qTOFJzqZAlqkjSYA&s=19

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Knowing that he was singing until the very end just highlights the impact he had on anisongs and beyond. He was truly a legend that will be sorely missed.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Tokubetsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyRv0bwH2o

We're back. Absolutely killer sound design in this video. Just loving loud in the best possible sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-n9siHeCQg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1605265776755163136?s=20&t=LfGo6ZOXqcy2C4RvTfhXRg