Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed, but given what the British press is doing to trans people right now I'm honestly really thankful Rusty sidestepped it.

But conceding to them isn't great, either.

I figured this was the reason the clothes regenerated and I recognize that it's a tough call on which way to go. My feeling is push back but I understand why Davies didn't want to start his second tenure with a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
RTD was loudly and upfront about having constant gay representation on mid-aughts television when that wasn't entirely taboo like it would have been earlier, but it was still maybe eyebrow raising for a family show (I mean, idk for sure, I'm an American, maybe that was commonplace in the UK). But it was something he made a point of doing and even said so in Writer's Tale. I hope now he's similarly bold about other queer folks but I'm pessimistic.

EDIT: ⌄⌄⌄ oh duh yeah.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 17, 2022

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Clouseau posted:

RTD was loudly and upfront about having constant gay representation on mid-aughts television when that wasn't entirely taboo like it would have been earlier, but it was still maybe eyebrow raising for a family show (I mean, idk for sure, I'm an American, maybe that was commonplace in the UK). But it was something he made a point of doing and even said so in Writer's Tale. I hope now he's similarly bold about other queer folks but I'm pessimistic.

Isn't Gatwa's first companion going to be played a trans actress? Seems like he didn't want to overshadow the 60th anniversary with a fight, but he's still going to be upfront about expanded representation when moving into the regular show release schedule. Which, honestly, is probably the best tack to take here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Class3KillStorm posted:

Isn't Gatwa's first companion going to be played a trans actress? Seems like he didn't want to overshadow the 60th anniversary with a fight, but he's still going to be upfront about expanded representation when moving into the regular show release schedule. Which, honestly, is probably the best tack to take here.

it’s Donna’s daughter, Rose, being played by a trans actress. She may yet be Gatwa’s companion too, we’ve yet to see.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

it’s Donna’s daughter, Rose, being played by a trans actress. She may yet be Gatwa’s companion too, we’ve yet to see.

You're right. I remember now that I had read she was supposed to be part of the 60th, but I also heard her being referenced as the companion for the upcoming Gatwa season, so I don't know if that's mixed messaging or the plan for how the 60th specials will end: Tennant regenerates into Gatwa, Donna and Wilf stay behind but Rose goes out with the new Doctor.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the Daughter Donna

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mikecosimano/status/1593421468687138817

If RTD doesn’t have a meme department up and running at Bad Wolf he’s missing a trick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seems like a big reveal tonight? Especially bigger than how they announced Ncuti.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1593499471689748480

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Children in Need airs a little under 8 hours from now and runs for 3 hours :f5:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Unless it’s just a Catherine Tate reveal?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

Seems like a big reveal tonight? Especially bigger than how they announced Ncuti.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1593499471689748480

My general read of Twitter is that it's going to last until one big event becomes too much for it to handle with nobody at the helm, at which point it will implode and not be recoverable.

The World Cup's probably going to do that next week (and if it does we'll be able to historically pinpoint the exact second of death, which'll be fun), but I'm gonna be honest, I would consider it a point of pride as a Who fan if the companion reveal killed it first.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Children in Need airs a little under 8 hours from now and runs for 3 hours :f5:

Starts in 17 minutes now! Now to try and work out how I can quickly stream it from overseas.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1593705809166434306?t=PHFsUrTQ9lsT2AXyTlcVgw&s=19

She was born in 2004. I've never felt so old in my life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Unless it’s just a Catherine Tate reveal?

Honestly I have no problem with that.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
What kind of second name is Sunday?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Because Tuesday would have been a trademark nightmare

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Ruby Sunday is an extremely good companion/RTD type of name.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I guess we’ll have to wait to see how she’s groundbreaking? Because at the moment, she looks like she’s wandered off the set of Hollyoaks.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Her name is Ruby and she's not even a redhead? What is this amateur hour bullshit?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Heres the reveal vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdlNzve5om4

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is she trans?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

Is she trans?

Wikipedia says no, so I’m unsure of why this was going to be bigger than the next Doctor reveal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I guess we’ll have to wait to see how she’s groundbreaking? Because at the moment, she looks like she’s wandered off the set of Hollyoaks.

In fairness, our first look at Matt Smith made him look like he'd wandered off the set of a Twilight movie.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Matt Smith sparkled in our hearts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Timby posted:

In fairness, our first look at Matt Smith made him look like he'd wandered off the set of a Twilight movie.

That or the African savannah. Look at that neck!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well she has a loving awesome name, so high hopes the character lives up to it too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
holy poo poo she's pretty.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

She's 18. Down, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

She's 18. Down, Rhyno.

YIKES

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
If 15 years from now 2/3rds of the regular or recurring companions from this season haven't been blacklisted then it's a positive improvement for RTD's casting choices. Going back and watching Season 27 is pretty loving weird now knowing how that all turned out and what Christopher Eccleston went through.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

J33uk posted:

If 15 years from now 2/3rds of the regular or recurring companions from this season haven't been blacklisted then it's a positive improvement for RTD's casting choices. Going back and watching Season 27 is pretty loving weird now knowing how that all turned out and what Christopher Eccleston went through.

Besides Barrowman and Clarke, has anyone else become problematic?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There was Harriet Jones*, who looked like she was really tired, which was pretty problematic.

* Former Prime Minister.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

There was Harriet Jones*

* Former Prime Minister.

Yes, we know who she is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i really found that joke to be grating until the Daleks got in on it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Oldmate Adam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rhyno posted:

i really found that joke to be grating until the Daleks got in on it.

The Daleks are extremely good comedic actors as long as they're not overused for it, and in retrospect, kudos to the entirety of New Who for realizing exactly that. They've never been overused for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cleretic posted:

The Daleks are extremely good comedic actors as long as they're not overused for it, and in retrospect, kudos to the entirety of New Who for realizing exactly that. They've never been overused for it.

Donna's Dance Party disagrees with you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daleks as the straight man are a real treat.

Dalek: DALEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF ELEGANCE!
Cyberman: This is obvious.

Dalek Prime Minister: Does it surprise you, Doctor, to learn that the Daleks have a concept of beauty?
music starts playing over loudspeakers
Dalek Prime Minister: EXPLAIN THIS NOISE!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Oh my god, I had no idea. That… really isn’t a good track record for RTD companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Rhyno posted:

She looks nice, but the sort of nice that makes for a good Blue Peter presenter or pantomime protagonist. You know, like if you saw her teaching in your kid's classroom you'd be contented.

This is great companion material, by the way. Honestly, I don't really care much about the companion. We will wait and see.