Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
What a bargain!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

haha, hey that ones pretty good

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

has anyone tried @-ing at elon to goad him into registering a forums account yet? you know he'd do it for the "lulz" as they say on twitter.

he's probably already here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this actually is funny, but i doubt whoever made that article understood why

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

smackfu posted:

Carmack spent a lot of time on his version of SpaceX but it didn’t work out for him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Aerospace

It blows my mind that he didn’t name it Union Aerospace Corporation. What a loving waste.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Shazback posted:

Genius Musk:
Twitter revenue per employee if 950 instead of 8k : $ 5B rev / 950 employees = $ 3.25m rev per employee in 2021 ( industry leader )

I guarantee, if you posted this exact math on twitter it would get cited by Elmo fans as brilliant business, despite the fact that something may or may not have happened to the twitter revenue between April and now

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

So on one hand you've got a bunch of very senior technical people saying "shits gonna get real" and on the other you've got recruiters, financial advisors and "self taught infrastructure guys" saying "it's gonna be fine".

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wasn't he long on FTX

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wait a second

$5B rev / 1 employee = $5B rev per employee

:wow:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Coding isn't a REAL JOB for REAL MEN where you DRILL OIL and GET DIRTY and HAVE SWEAT and DIE BY THIRTY

Maybe where you work, but where I work all the coders are shirtless, oiled, and yanking on those levers and loosing manly grunts of virile energy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bad Purchase posted:

this actually is funny, but i doubt whoever made that article understood why
If it was self-parody because the weird obsessive nature of finding imaginary faults (that only the gullible would believe) in AOC was being called out, it'd be genuinely funny. But that means giving credit to a publication that has hitherto shown as much self-awareness as a pet rock, so.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe where you work, but where I work all the coders are shirtless, oiled, and yanking on those levers and loosing manly grunts of virile energy.

They hiring? :biglips:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

Elon spotted

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

There’s this insane fantasy of like big alpha men chopping trees and ....

going from the OSHA thread falling a tree is a skill and not just videogamey swing ax at tree lol. also its a high enough skill you want to shop around for someone with a legit cert so they dont drop the tree onto your house or car. and then you have a very expensive penny wise, pound foolish problem.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

a pee eye

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Party Ape posted:

So on one hand you've got a bunch of very senior technical people saying "shits gonna get real" and on the other you've got recruiters, financial advisors and "self taught infrastructure guys" saying "it's gonna be fine".

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Hey, don't forget the self-storage investors.

Really has me thinking that perhaps I don't know that much.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Send me your greasiest, most hardcore, throbbing code, and I'll see that it gets to the right people.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
25% API failure rate from a company that size is a BFD for sure. I wrote a middleware solution in python on our Django server my first year as a dev (was for a contest sign up and literally the second time I ever touched python in a prod env) and while it worked it didn't have timing and batching to the database done as well as it could have. I had a 10% failure rate for contest submissions that I updated immediately based on failure notices from the sentry integration. To me, as a junior, green AF dev, 10% failure was unacceptable and I wanted to do better. Fixed the issue next day and verified the 10% in question were processed. I think our current threshold for these failures is either 0.75% or 0.5% and trust me we are way smaller and jankier than Twitter. Well, maybe the same amount of jank now that they lost everyone that knew how to do anything.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

kazil posted:

Wait a second

$5B rev / 1 employee = $5B rev per employee

:wow:

Don't show him that, or he might realize he could double his revenue with one bonesaw and a little elbow grease.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lima posted:

lmao twitter is going to crash and burn on sunday when the world cup starts

counterpoint: no it won’t

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ardemia posted:

25% API failure rate from a company that size is a BFD for sure. I wrote a middleware solution in python on our Django server my first year as a dev (was for a contest sign up and literally the second time I ever touched python in a prod env) and while it worked it didn't have timing and batching to the database done as well as it could have. I had a 10% failure rate for contest submissions that I updated immediately based on failure notices from the sentry integration. To me, as a junior, green AF dev, 10% failure was unacceptable and I wanted to do better. Fixed the issue next day and verified the 10% in question were processed. I think our current threshold for these failures is either 0.75% or 0.5% and trust me we are way smaller and jankier than Twitter. Well, maybe the same amount of jank now that they lost everyone that knew how to do anything.

If my self-hosted stuff was throwing errors 25% of the time I'd be spending all night troubleshooting it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Entropic posted:

counterpoint: no it won’t

Who cares either way, the important thing is that Elon continues to look stupid

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Status code 503 means “service unavailable”, so basically computer A is asking computer B for some info, and computer B is broken.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radio Paranoia posted:

The reason they're locking everything up over the weekend is they no longer know who should and shouldn't have access. Lmao

oh God this is it, isn't it

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

spunkshui posted:

These big tech companies just need to force their entire payroll department to quit.

Then they just get to keep all the money because you don’t need a payroll department.
No payroll department needed, employees can simply come grovelling to Elon when they need money like Oliver Twist.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
To think he could've taken 3-6 months learning the business and figuring out if and where cuts could be made instead of immediately firing loads of people and paying them those 3-6 months anyway while the company implodes

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Lol, I'm trying to login on the app, and it's logging me in to someone else's account

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cr0y posted:

Wasn't he long on FTX

If you base your investments on the exact opposite of what Cramer says, you'd actually do ok

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Lol, I'm trying to login on the app, and it's logging me in to someone else's account

nice try elon but I'm not reinstalling the app

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Step 1 is almost accomplished, after only three weeks!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh God this is it, isn't it
That's not the only possibility! Maybe they tried to update the list and corrupted it, and now have to rebuild it. Or they don't know how to do it quickly and are resorting to manual methods and it'll take a loving weekend to do it. Or they broke something else and everyone's locked out because the building is in lockdown. Or they have no loving clue what's wrong and need the weekend to do a reboot and hope it works in time for Monday. So many ways the New Look Twitter could have hosed this up.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593767953706921985

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

lol what a coward

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what a zany way to decide!!!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SirPhoebos posted:

lol what a coward

Not emptyquoting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593766330162765825?s=46&t=lW16W3dYcn8dRwPgUDnQJg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Screenshotted the current status of the poll

Let's hope twitter dies in the next 24 hours then

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Musk is 100% bluffing about negative tweets being buried.
https://twitter.com/TeaTimeTitan/status/1593773591895719936?t=5M4dS6p_mVIcyXbSWVUVCA&s=19

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
The poll was marked as deleted the first time I went to look and then it was back when I saw the embed here. poo poo is spiralling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ehud posted:

what a zany way to decide!!!

Dang I would assume your mad, but that emoji implies quite a different mood