Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Potsticker posted:

The jerk isn't necessarily someone at Blizzard.

That's true. I wonder if the story will ever develop in such a way that we'll find out who the supposed jerk is/was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

So hbomberguy, a video essayist, thought that he would take it easy and make a quick trivial video about finding the origins of one of the most memetic sounds from modern games… and then fell into the mother of all rabbit holes when he went to fact-check something about it, and inadvertently pulled the thread on a massive web of deception by a certain sound designer and composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

I don’t know why I watched this whole video but I did and lol @ Tommy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I couldn't make it to the end of the video because I just cannot stand watching clips of tommy tallarico for that long.

E: I do want to clarify that this expose on Tommy Tallarico is relevant to the topic at hand, especially with regards to his misdeeds and mismanagement. Just that, it is not particularly surprising that there isn't much discussion on it. Aside from the Amico fiasco it's more games industry history than news and it's very easy to be flippant about it considering the video starts with a deep dive into a meme.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 20, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Runa posted:

I couldn't make it to the end of the video because I just cannot stand watching clips of tommy tallarico for that long.

Yeah some of it was really repetitive tbh.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

His mother is very proud.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

something I didn't notice until now seeing it pointed out in a qrt but the alt text doesn't even say what the message is. Classic Bethesda level of competence.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
One of the interesting things about the Bethesda statement is that it stops short of dating anything in Mick Gordon's statement is false, it just says that there are big omissions or distortions. Common words that appear in these sorts of statements, such as "inaccuracies" and "misrepresentations" are not present.

This is a fine thing to do when someone comes at you out of nowhere, but when Gordon's statement directly contradicts Stratton's in direct, material ways, it comes off as saying "well yes, Marty lied to all of you, but there's so much *context*!"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

30.5 Days posted:

One of the interesting things about the Bethesda statement is that it stops short of dating anything in Mick Gordon's statement is false, it just says that there are big omissions or distortions. Common words that appear in these sorts of statements, such as "inaccuracies" and "misrepresentations" are not present.

This is a fine thing to do when someone comes at you out of nowhere, but when Gordon's statement directly contradicts Stratton's in direct, material ways, it comes off as saying "well yes, Marty lied to all of you, but there's so much *context*!"

Their statement is textbook de-escalation. They don't want to get involved, they just want it to go away. Interpret that however you want.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Then they should have ignored it. If it's actually "text book de-escalation" it failed massively.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Detheros posted:

His mother is very proud.

He needs to take a piss at night.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

30.5 Days posted:

Is there not still a lawsuit going with bethesda wrt to this, however? If there's a lawsuit going, then its smarter to let it play out in court.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there not still a lawsuit going with bethesda wrt to this, however? If there's a lawsuit going, then its smarter to let it play out in court.

There's no real evidence of a lawsuit, Mick had negotiated with them through a legal representative but when negotiations died for good and Mick posted on medium instead of going to court, I took that to mean that he could not afford an actual suit against Zenimax. Always possible he'll do it anyway, somehow.

Regardless of that, standing behind Marty's reddit post 100% doesn't seem either de-escalatory or like something you'd do if you were positioning for a lawsuit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Going to court against an entity as large as Bethesda is an extremely difficult and potentially ruinously costly proposition for a lone independent contractor if Bethesda is committed to digging in its heels and unwilling to settle, so it wouldn't surprise me if Gordon isn't going to try even if he has receipts.

I get the feeling airing this out in public was Gordon acknowledging that he's not going to get anything out of Bethesda and wanting to at least try and set the public record straight to repair the damage to his reputation that Stratton's allegations caused.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Huge plot twist: The FTC is going after the Microsoft/Activision merger:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1595557105750216704

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m interested to see how that goes and what the reasoning is. Right after the merger was announced Lisa Khan said something (paraphrasing) like “we have to start pushing back on these big tech acquisitions to show them we mean business,” which struck me as something that wouldn’t be great for your chances in court when you do.

E: found the quote:

quote:

But no, look, I think it takes courage. These are enormously well-resourced companies, they are not shy about deploying those resources. And I think in these moments, it's important to kind of ensure where we're really showing these companies but also showing the country that enforcers are not going to back down because of, you know, these companies flexing some muscle or kind of trying to intimidate us. And so I think those are the types of lessons that we're trying to learn looking back over the last decade.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 24, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It feels really weird that this is the deal they want to make an example out of.

Sony's argument against it seems like something you could pretty easily prove or disprove with data but Google's is like...what the gently caress are they even saying there?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 24, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

It feels really weird that this is the deal they want to make an example out of.

Yeah this is baffling tbh.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nah. This is involving Microsoft, already one of the biggest anti-trust targets around, buying the largest American non-console video game company (and likely the biggest in the world after Tencent.) It makes all the sense in the world that an actual functioning FTC and not the cardboard cutout that was there during the last decade or so would move to get in the way of this because, at least in pure numbers, MS having ActiBlizz (on top of already having Bethesda) would be a huge blow to the competitiveness of the market and do a lot of harm to markets besides the X-Box/Windows PC.

Like, even if you think ActiBlizz is on a decline, MWII this year was still the biggest entertainment anything in 2022 by an incredibly comfortable margin despite only being out for less then a month. There is plenty of reason to them to ask for this deal to hold up while they take a good long look at what kind of shift this will bring and how much sheer market control this will give MS, even if they let ActiBlizz remain multiplatform.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blockhouse posted:

Leaving Sony's petty interests aside, as far as antitrust is concerned, why would the largest acquisition in the history of the medium (which also happens to be the highest grossing entertainment medium on the planet) be a weird one to make an example out of?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This only seems weird because the FTC has been so poo poo at preventing corps form into oligarchies for the last 50 years

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As an idiot non-lawyer, did Microsoft massively gently caress up with the terms of this deal? There’s a hard date it needs to close by, right? Surely if there’s a lawsuit, even if they’re likely to win it, it’ll push them past the required closing date?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Going to assume there are out's in the contract and that the deadlines take into consideration, this sort of stuff, as with a deal like this everyone would of known stuff like this had a high possibility of happening, and it's not like Microsoft doesn't have a lot of experience with precisely this sort of anti trust thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CottonWolf posted:

As an idiot non-lawyer, did Microsoft massively gently caress up with the terms of this deal? There’s a hard date it needs to close by, right? Surely if there’s a lawsuit, even if they’re likely to win it, it’ll push them past the required closing date?

The required closing date is "for the terms as negotiated", it makes sense to have something in play to say "a lot can change in a year so if we haven't been able to close it by X date we should see if the terms still make sense". A point was raised elsewhere that after the overall stock price nosedive in the tech sector in general, that may end up playing out in Microsoft's favor anyways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Antitrust in the entertainment industry seems like a bit of a can of worms. When they do go after Disney?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kanos posted:

Huge plot twist: The FTC is going after the Microsoft/Activision merger:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1595557105750216704
This makes me wonder what gaming conglomerate, if any, they decide to go after next. Do any others in the industry have as much pull as Microsoft does?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Antitrust in the entertainment industry seems like a bit of a can of worms. When they do go after Disney?
Not soon enough. I'm tired of the mouse's hunger.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tencent quite possibly. The bulk of the gaming market is in mobile apps so there are probably some huge companies that don’t get mentioned in the world of pc gaming.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Disney-Fox thing is one of the most insane IP deals ever. Should never have been allowed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The FTC wants the X-Men in the MCU just like the rest of us

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just going to put a link to that massive image which has all the companies that disney owns on it:
https://www.titlemax.com/wp-content/uploads/every-company-disney-owns.jpeg
Everytime I look at it notice something else they own.

Related to this thread they own Lucas arts. :(

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kith posted:

This makes me wonder what gaming conglomerate, if any, they decide to go after next. Do any others in the industry have as much pull as Microsoft does?

There's a short list:
Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Google

The anti-trust issue isn't how many game studios you own, the issue is owning the distribution channel AND having exclusive control on which content gets released on that channel.

Prior to 1948 film studios owned most of the movie theater companies in the US, and they controlled exclusively which films were shown where. This was ended by the Paramount decree which prevented film studios from owning theaters. This could be applied to modern streaming services, if only the decree wasn't sunset recently (probably at the urging of Disney and Netflix).

If the video game industry had developed when when the FTC had some actual teeth, anti-trust would have been invoked a long time ago on these platforms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
A bit ironic given Nintendo's success is often put to how they specifically didn't allow just anyone to release poo poo on the NES (though how much that actually happened in practice is another question) to prevent the platform from being buried in a deluge of shovelware like what killed Atari before it. But well, no platform turns away shovelware now. What would the complaint even be, and what would be the solution to enforce it?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bucnasti posted:

If the video game industry had developed when when the FTC had some actual teeth, anti-trust would have been invoked a long time ago on these platforms.

I mean it's funny that you say that since the original atari-shovelware-videogame crash back in the 80s stemmed in part from Atari failing to win a lawsuit about former employees bailing on the company and selling games that worked on Atari consoles (and the company those employees formed was...Activision).

It's fun, though, because you can really see the slide of rapidly-more-complicated tech from the old Atari "we can just copy this physical item and put something else on it" catridges through to the proprietary disc format's "good luck making something to run on this without the console maker's explicit blessing and toolkit", but the fully-digital app store format was probably the real "hey maybe we should have done something about this, whoops" inflection point, honestly. But hey I hear Epic Games vs. Apple is still in appeals, right?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A bit ironic given Nintendo's success is often put to how they specifically didn't allow just anyone to release poo poo on the NES (though how much that actually happened in practice is another question) to prevent the platform from being buried in a deluge of shovelware like what killed Atari before it. But well, no platform turns away shovelware now. What would the complaint even be, and what would be the solution to enforce it?

The thing is the seal of quality was never about being "allowed" to release a game or not; there were always plenty of unlicensed peripherals and games-- certainly everyone knew someone who had or used a Game Genie and those certainly never got Nintendo's stamp of approval, and it wouldn't surprise me to find that I've owned or played games that didn't have the Seal of Quality and I just never noticed it wasn't there. It was always just a post-80's-game-crash marketing tactic to try and lure people back into buying games in that time between "people being leery of buying games sight unseen" and "people realizing that the quote-unquote Seal of Quality didn't mean anything about how good the game actually was, just if the developers had enough cash to push to get the seal on it".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you owned any NES game that was in any cartridge that wasn't the usual grey, it was almost certainly unlicensed. All licensed NES games in the US are the standard grey, aside from the gold Zelda carts (Famicom stuff came in a bevy of colors). Aside from Konami and another company I forget the name of, who had the licensing rights to manufacture their own NES carts (still in the standard grey), all officially licensed games had theirs manufactured by Nintendo.

Color Dreams had sky blue ones, and they got around the lock essentially by brute force. Better known are Tengen's black carts, and they basically got sued into the ground for copyright and patent infringement, because they lied to get a copy of Nintendo's lock out chip patent. Unlicensed games have basically been around from the jump, but Tengen kind of opened the flood gates for NES.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you owned any NES game that was in any cartridge that wasn't the usual grey, it was almost certainly unlicensed. All licensed NES games in the US are the standard grey, aside from the gold Zelda carts (Famicom stuff came in a bevy of colors). Aside from Konami and another company I forget the name of, who had the licensing rights to manufacture their own NES carts (still in the standard grey), all officially licensed games had theirs manufactured by Nintendo.

Color Dreams had sky blue ones, and they got around the lock essentially by brute force. Better known are Tengen's black carts, and they basically got sued into the ground for copyright and patent infringement, because they lied to get a copy of Nintendo's lock out chip patent. Unlicensed games have basically been around from the jump, but Tengen kind of opened the flood gates for NES.

loved renting this guy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sony was getting some flak recently about how many shovelware games were clogging up the store. Just dozens of "games" that are exactly the same with the exception of a model being changed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The original gauntlet didn't have the deal of quality, I saw a copy a few years ago and was surprised

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

The original gauntlet didn't have the deal of quality, I saw a copy a few years ago and was surprised

That would be Tengen again. They actually did two versions of Gauntlet, one official, one not.

Basically all the Seal of Quality meant is that the game (or merchandise) was officially licensed. Games actually still bear the seal, though they dropped the Quality part and it just says Official Nintendo Seal. You can find it on the bottom back of any Switch game case currently.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 26, 2022

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean it's funny that you say that since the original atari-shovelware-videogame crash back in the 80s stemmed in part from Atari failing to win a lawsuit about former employees bailing on the company and selling games that worked on Atari consoles (and the company those employees formed was...Activision).

Well before that Atari was getting away with a ton of anti-competive stuff, in the early days of the VCS they locked up manufacturing capacity at the chip manufacturers to prevent them from producing chips that could be used in competing consoles, they formed a shell company to create knock-offs of their own arcade games so they could sell in multiple markets.
Bushnell was from the carnival industry, he knew how to play dirty.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Aside from Konami and another company I forget the name of, who had the licensing rights to manufacture their own NES carts (still in the standard grey), all officially licensed games had theirs manufactured by Nintendo.

Probably Namco(t) was who you were thinking of. Also Sunsoft. Basically, only in Japan, anyone who used a special chip in the cartridge that wasn't a MMCx. And they were only allowed to make their own carts because they were the earliest 3rd parties to support the Famicom. Nintendo, even in Japan, denied that perk to anyone else. There was, at some point, a business relations breakdown with Namco, and for a few years, they jumped ship to the PC-Engine (TurboGrafx-16). They came back later, though. I forget the rest of the details.

Sega and NEC/Hudson also had that "quality" badge on the covers of software for their respective hardware platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Sony was getting some flak recently about how many shovelware games were clogging up the store. Just dozens of "games" that are exactly the same with the exception of a model being changed.

Yeah, they recently sent out a letter to all devs, presumably they will be shadowbanning spam reskin games and blacklisting devs that make them going forward