Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

god yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

This game is a work of art

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

blame me when the next gen is even worse graphically because I just read all this and bought this game anyway and pokeymans isn't even my thing

but wow I have seen better textures on N64

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
lol I haven't made it to the school yet but I caught a Dreepy by finding a route up a cliff behind the western path to Mesagoza where there were a bunch of Pokemon on another cliff. I targetted one, threw the Pokeball, and it teleported me to the other side, jumping to Area 4

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I got to the big city. So far getting the weird framerate issues but thats it, knock on wood. Having fun with it so far.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I climbed to the peak of the mountain without getting a single badge

Also I really like that egg farming is AFK now

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This soundtrack so far has been awesome (especially Team Star's theme)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, weirdly possessive rival. Now I gotta go charge my JO tera crystal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mesadoram posted:

This soundtrack so far has been awesome (especially Team Star's theme)

it says a lot about the quality of the OST that toby fox did half of it and the other half tried to match his energy and mostly nailed it

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Sesq posted:

lol I haven't made it to the school yet but I caught a Dreepy by finding a route up a cliff behind the western path to Mesagoza where there were a bunch of Pokemon on another cliff. I targetted one, threw the Pokeball, and it teleported me to the other side, jumping to Area 4

I just did the exact same thing. Chucked a ball across that gap and popped over to area 4. Tried to catch Maschiff but it kept killing all my Pokemon with a single bite lol.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm still pretty early in, but I'm kind of seeing where people are coming from saying that the plot lines/characters are way more interesting than prior games. Shame about the graphics engine poo poo.

With Team Star It looks like the overly generous deadline for returning to class before expulsion is coming up and one of the original founders is the only one who cares? Hence why she roped you into this.

With the Titans: The sandwich kid not having the opposite box art legendary, rather just wanting to heal his dog was a nice twist. I'll get you every last herb, buddy. I'm gonna be mad if I have to put down Titan-fido though.

With the Gym Battle: I assume Nemona has scared everyone else off with champion level skill and battle craze, hence her behavior around you, a trainer way below her level at the start of the game. I take it that she just wants a friend/rival and is willing to slum it with the lame baby pokemon to get her fix while you catch up

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I just did the exact same thing. Chucked a ball across that gap and popped over to area 4. Tried to catch Maschiff but it kept killing all my Pokemon with a single bite lol.

You can get one normally as soon as raids appear. That might require hitting the city first though.

Deki fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 19, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Blockhouse posted:

it says a lot about the quality of the OST that toby fox did half of it and the other half tried to match his energy and mostly nailed it

That actually explains a lot. Every track has been amazing so far.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wish they would've given Scarlet access to outfits with brown pants. Do the same for Violet and give them blue pant variants

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was so dead set on taking green cat because I love cats, but pompaduck just wouldnt stop showing off that amazing hair so I have a water starter for the first time since, uh, D/P?

Im never going to make it to school, having too much fun exploring.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
It’s a weird feeling to be enjoying myself this much while being disappointed and recognizing so many technical aspects are dogshit. Ah, Gamefreak!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All these pauses between the not a transition transition, and the camera slowing down to a crawl when I try and pan it has me very angry I paid full price for this game.

Also I keep wonder trading into lechonks and scatterbugs but that's more annoying than aggravating

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just as I post this I finally got to the class room and half the kids have the same choppy animation for swinging their legs and tapping the table.
Christ this is bad.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Okay, This graphical fuckup is new...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Deki posted:

Okay, This graphical fuckup is new...

They are finally doing a 3D version of the Distortion World.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Clipped through a store and slid down a cliff to get a tm. Only way back was to force myself to blackout

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The gym leader music is a total bop

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If they ever patch away the big problems, the patch notes should say "Players can no longer encounter Missingno." just to gently caress with people.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
initial thoughts after the first couple hours

-i don't know if it's because i have a physical copy and the problems are more prevalent on digital, or if it's because i'm playing in handheld mode, but i feel like a lot of the jank comments have been a little overblown? it seems to run mostly fine, lol
-koraidon is real, and he is my friend
-i wish that they copied the throwing mechanics from arceus, simply because sometimes the game is not targeting the same thing you are targeting. I shouldn't have to press ZL to aim at the pokemon in the center of the screen. I don't care if the skwovet directly behind me is technically closer, I was looking directly at the bounsweet in the tree.
-its very funny to me that they had to cut corners hard when it came to interior environments. When i entered a shop and got a repeating background over a textbox menu, I laughed. The only shop in the first city that has an interior is the salon, and only because they blatantly re-used the same room from SwSh. This is not a mark against the game because it's funny.
-speaking of cutting interiors, it's a little bit annoying that, in lieu of having random houses and apartments to barge into, they simply split the clothing shop into a dozen different buildings to make the city feel less empty. I should be able to buy shoes and socks from the same store.
-what the gently caress theres a flamingo pokemon

also this made me laugh, because it's so quintessentially pokemon:
https://i.imgur.com/thVf0T6.mp4

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Team Star: what the? Did I just battle the music car from Fury Road?!

This game is magical.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blaziken386 posted:

-i don't know if it's because i have a physical copy and the problems are more prevalent on digital, or if it's because i'm playing in handheld mode, but i feel like a lot of the jank comments have been a little overblown? it seems to run mostly fine, lol
-i wish that they copied the throwing mechanics from arceus, simply because sometimes the game is not targeting the same thing you are targeting. I shouldn't have to press ZL to aim at the pokemon in the center of the screen. I don't care if the skwovet directly behind me is technically closer, I was looking directly at the bounsweet in the tree.
-its very funny to me that they had to cut corners hard when it came to interior environments. When i entered a shop and got a repeating background over a textbox menu, I laughed. The only shop in the first city that has an interior is the salon, and only because they blatantly re-used the same room from SwSh. This is not a mark against the game because it's funny.
-speaking of cutting interiors, it's a little bit annoying that, in lieu of having random houses and apartments to barge into, they simply split the clothing shop into a dozen different buildings to make the city feel less empty. I should be able to buy shoes and socks from the same store.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1593810194617991168/pu/vid/1280x720/Ly9R_QAmeLZ0v84Y.mp4

Video is dead-looks like the game's jank infected it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Did a level 5 Flamigo beat anyone else’s rear end or just mine?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

So after playing for a bit, I can agree that the game could use another patch or two to fix some of the more major issues that other people have had, but I haven't experienced anything of that sort myself. Only the weird minor stuff that can take you out of the immersion. Granted I've only beaten one gym and on my way to fight the giant crab.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shneak posted:

Check out it's stats, you will see why :getin:.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

VolticSurge posted:

Video is dead-looks like the game's jank infected it.
oh yeah, twitter's hosed and random things are breaking

changed it to an imgur upload instead

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Check out it's stats, you will see why :getin:.

Gonna name mine Doflamingo because I shall never be free of my filthy weeb ways. Also glad to hear the physical copy is doing okay as that's what I've picked up.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Blaziken386 posted:

Thank you for bringing Woop Woop in to my life

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

lol

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blaziken386 posted:

Basically also my entire experience of playing up to getting the first badge (though I think I may have jumped to gym 2 technically first, I did the crab titan and just popped over to the gym next to it because I had the fire gator and lol hello grass town I've come to wreck your whole steeze) and making my way to the second (first? Bug gym) city. Maybe in physical carts it's less janky because I've noticed very little aside from typical 3d pokemon poo poo like some textures that need a second to smooth out fully and maybe a hiccup or two coming out of cutscenes? The gameplay is perfectly normal.

I miss the arceus throwing system but I'm just really glad they're using it in general even if it's a slightly dumber version.

Big laugh at them cutting the concept of 'going inside' to save resources, though, I too mean that in the completely unironic and not mocking sense, that's a hilarious solution and I support it. Stay outside with your pokemon you lil poo poo school's out. It's also very funny that to try to justify this they've spread shopping out so much, it's not a big deal because buying poo poo that matters like balls is still easy but yea it's very funny to have to go from store to store because Jim's House Of Shoes And Only Shoes would never sell you a backpack, Jeff's Backpack Shack would fuckin break his legs if he did.

The pokemon are great, both in the new designs and in the fact that this game absolutely dumps pokemon on you from the word go, I love having the variety to pick from, I've been able to form a nice little diverse team already and have already run into genuine hard choices for who to run with because of it.

The story is cute, it's pokemon so I'm not expecting something deep and shocking from it but I like the seeds being planted like the school headmaster clearly being up to something with the bad guy team and mr titan hunter having a motive deeper than the 'I wanna make REALLY good sandwiches man, REALLY good ones' story he tells you. I haven't really encountered team star except for their intro but they seem like more team skull stuff, young punks who want to cause a ruckus but aren't really a 'threat' to anyone beyond being annoying. I love team skull and team yell as 'antagonists' so if that's the vibe they're sticking with I'm 100% in. I'm sure someone has some deeper agenda involving making the world explode because their dad was mean or something but barring a Sword/Shield style 'surprise I'm the real bad guy at the last act with no clear motivation, come fight me and my big dragon' it seems like this is just a fun little adventure game with antagonists who are just kinda personal scale jerks? Good tone for pokemon imo.

Though it seems like the professor is up to some shady poo poo so maybe she's gonna go all Rose on us when the paradox stuff begins.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Game runs a little weird, but my love for Fernando is strong and real.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/LaidbackStrat/status/1593591679377735685

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shneak posted:

That thing just ran over my team like it was nothing, though thankfully I had a pokemon with a type advantage against it. After hitting two of those I decided maybe it was time to stop screwing around a bit and go to the first Poke Center.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a trick to making certain pokemon spawn, by the way? I saw at one of the pokecenters a little icon that sure looked like the little mouse family pokemon but couldn't find where they were at all, was I just unlucky?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I also got Flamigo'd. Turns out having two STAB moves that early with single stage stats is very rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds like a useful party member, where can you find these guys?