Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

I got an email about my Prusa XL preorder

Apparently the nextruder has like, at least 13 Hall effect sensors? The blog post would not commit to how many per extruder. They are not all the same sensor so getting replacements sounds not fun

There are at least two daughter boards, one for extruders and one for running the heating tiles. I think there might be a third daughter board. Some of these things will be connected via custom wired pcie connectors. This should be interesting

This thing is starting to sound like an enormous boondoggle/warranty disaster. All the tech in this sounds awesome but they might have bit off more than they can chew, they are cramming a lot of new tech into a new platform

Kind of tempted to keep my deposit and just flip it on eBay when the shipping info arrives, sounding like preorders are going to be way below the true full retail price

Someone feel free to correct me, would love to hear another take on the email they sent out today

Sounds like there will be a print nozzle adapter so you can use v6 nozzles

Beta tester units going out in December so hopefully initial reviews are positive.

The way I read it was that the XL can have up to X number of hall sensors, and that would only be if you're using 5 print heads. So each print head probably has 3-5 and maybe some in the printhead carrier for end stop determination?

I have a slight apprehension that they are pushing this out the door early but it is very slight. They are a well known company and the risk of sending out untested junk for them is huge because they have set a pretty high bar - and charge a pretty high premium for the expectation. If they burn their bridges by sending out a beta product it's almost impossible to recover from that. It just doesn't mesh with their past decisions/releases. I'm expecting well tested and functional hardware and maybe some software bugs along the way that get resolved after the first few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I use the Ameralabs Calibration Town, or a name really similar to that. That one has given me quite accurate readings to dial in my exposure times.

Has anyone printed translucent resin? At first glance it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end but maybe it's still UV reactive and can cure anyway? Might be making some Necrons in the future and I want to use red tubes and highlights instead of the standard green acrylic they come with.

None of the translucent or clear resins I've ever used have been troublesome. There's a whole school of thought out there about how since it might transmit more light, it's more difficult to print without blowing out details or whatever, but I haven't ever found that to be true. Sample size of one, ymmv, etc. etc.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Acid Reflux posted:

None of the translucent or clear resins I've ever used have been troublesome. There's a whole school of thought out there about how since it might transmit more light, it's more difficult to print without blowing out details or whatever, but I haven't ever found that to be true. Sample size of one, ymmv, etc. etc.

I've printed a whole bunch on my Mars. Red, Blue, Green, Clear. None of them have ever been a problem. If you want clear to remain clear you have to be very careful about how you cure it and after the fact you might want to apply some kind of UV protection or it'll yellow. I just typically do a very light cure.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hadlock posted:

Kind of tempted to keep my deposit and just flip it on eBay when the shipping info arrives, sounding like preorders are going to be way below the true full retail price

Is this a likely scenario? I can't get my supervisor to pull the trigger on a preorder, but when regular ordering opened I was hoping to get her onboard to order one. Not sure how successful that would be if the price jumps significantly.

Oh, and USPS tells me that my Sovol SV06 is arriving today. Ordered on Nov 8, so that's 10 day turnaround, much faster than the Dec 8 delivery date as advertised.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have no idea what their plan is with pricing I'm just guessing

Inflation jumped by 10% so presumably the price will go up at some point in the next two years. I think manufacturing went up by way more than 10% more like 30%. I think someone else commented that preorder pricing in the past was lower than standard retail pricing

I pre-ordered the 5 tool head model which, it sounds like they added a separate daughter board for the extra tool heads, maybe? I can see the 5 tool head model being more likely to see a price increase. I can see the 5 head model jumping to $3800? It's gonna have five nextruders, five sets of hall effect sensors, five filament run out sensors, all sorts of crap. I guess the new tool heads have "headlights" and programmable buttons. That's gonna add up. Again wild rear end guessing here

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hadlock posted:

I pre-ordered the 5 tool head model which, it sounds like they added a separate daughter board for the extra tool heads, maybe? I can see the 5 tool head model being more likely to see a price increase. I can see the 5 head model jumping to $3800? It's gonna have five nextruders, five sets of hall effect sensors, five filament run out sensors, all sorts of crap. I guess the new tool heads have "headlights" and programmable buttons. That's gonna add up. Again wild rear end guessing here

The daughter board is necessary for both the 3- and 5-extruder configs

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I use the Ameralabs Calibration Town, or a name really similar to that. That one has given me quite accurate readings to dial in my exposure times.

Has anyone printed translucent resin? At first glance it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end but maybe it's still UV reactive and can cure anyway? Might be making some Necrons in the future and I want to use red tubes and highlights instead of the standard green acrylic they come with.

just buy the acrylic rod, unless your time is worth nothing

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deviant posted:

just buy the acrylic rod, unless your time is worth nothing

I probably will, the comment up above about them yellowing over time made me think about implementation. Not going to be priming and painting something specifically chosen to be translucent. Have to look in to Necrons a little deeper, I think the rods on top of their guns might be the only time it's used? If so, acrylic rods it is.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok friends i come to you for pricing advice. I have a dude that's been buying from me weekly for a few weeks now, saw a (amateur, im not amazing) paintjob from me on a stable I did and wants this bigass inn thing printed and painted, plus some scatter terrain to fill it.

I'll probably go in the realm of 375ish for the building, another 75 for scatter (bunch of bar stuff, couple beds, some tables), wtf do i charge for painting.

im not a pro or anything so my results wont be spectacular so i dont wanna charge an arm and a leg but, yeah, im at a loss.

here's my paintjob, pls be kind

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
What do you want to pay yourself per hour? How many hours will it take to paint that? Multiply the two and add the cost of materials and you have a good starting point. If it works out to an arm and a leg then that is fine. If painting is not your primary business there is no reason to quote less than your normal hourly rate even if you think painting should be cheaper.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

ZincBoy posted:

What do you want to pay yourself per hour? How many hours will it take to paint that? Multiply the two and add the cost of materials and you have a good starting point. If it works out to an arm and a leg then that is fine. If painting is not your primary business there is no reason to quote less than your normal hourly rate even if you think painting should be cheaper.

And add about 35% to that to make sure that you have the headroom to pay your taxes. Do not gently caress with the tax man.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
queeb, take what your honest "I think I should charge this" number is, double it, add 35% for taxes. That's your pricing. Repeat until orders stop then go back to the previous number.

You're coming up into holiday season. Not only is your time about to get squeezed, but people who value money very differently than you do are looking for gifts that can't be purchased at Walmart.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

insta posted:

queeb, take what your honest "I think I should charge this" number is, double it, add 35% for taxes. That's your pricing. Repeat until orders stop then go back to the previous number.

You're coming up into holiday season. Not only is your time about to get squeezed, but people who value money very differently than you do are looking for gifts that can't be purchased at Walmart.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

if you sell your products for twice as much you only need to make half as many

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

queeb posted:

ok friends i come to you for pricing advice. I have a dude that's been buying from me weekly for a few weeks now, saw a (amateur, im not amazing) paintjob from me on a stable I did and wants this bigass inn thing printed and painted, plus some scatter terrain to fill it.

I'll probably go in the realm of 375ish for the building, another 75 for scatter (bunch of bar stuff, couple beds, some tables), wtf do i charge for painting.

im not a pro or anything so my results wont be spectacular so i dont wanna charge an arm and a leg but, yeah, im at a loss.

How much material will that use? Slice it to find out.

Oh and that paint job is fine bordering on good. If you did some shading and highlights or maybe weathering, it’d be great. It’s very clean and even which is an accomplishment in itself.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Deviant posted:

if you sell your products for twice as much you only need to make half as many

He'll probably sell the same amount anyway since he's limited by time, not demand.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

insta posted:

This.

Sit down when your painting and see how much time it uses. People price themselves wildly low for what should be considered an hourly rate.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also, a general rule with any self-employed labor is that you don't just want to think about your rate as the time you spend "working." You need to do a lot of administrative work running your Etsy shop, dealing with customers, managing your finances, and secondary work like slicing models, maintaining your printers, etc. Your rate needs to reflect all of that. Do not do unpaid work. Ignoring the cost of the time you spend running your business is a one-way ticket to burn out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's also okay to do stuff as a learning experience and take a little of the pressure off.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

queeb posted:

I am so conditioned by the media coming out of Ukraine this year that I’m expecting a missile to hit these buildings at any moment

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lmao I see it now. It printed like that!!!!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is there a good filament I should be looking for Christmas ornaments? Looking to make some vase mode tree bulbs/decorations that I can light from the inside.

I know white pla has been great for lithos, but I know there are certain petg's that comes recommended. In Canada if that makes a difference.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does resin get old or something? Had to take months long break from printing. Back in to it now and it seems every single print is a failure. Everything so far has detached from the supports and left a puddle. Don't think I changed my settings, been doing roughly the same process as I remember and all the support contact points seem really brittle. When I separate the prints from the supports it breaks away suuuuuuper easily by hand. Like, too easily. Which seems to be causing the failures.

There was a new version of Lychee which may have changed the settings when I wasn't looking, but trying to identify all possibilities.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Resin absolutely has a shelf life, and it completely depends on storage conditions. An opened bottle without any special treatment probably has like 6 months max? I know Formlabs resins are mostly 35 weeks for official shelf life.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Does resin get old or something? Had to take months long break from printing. Back in to it now and it seems every single print is a failure. Everything so far has detached from the supports and left a puddle. Don't think I changed my settings, been doing roughly the same process as I remember and all the support contact points seem really brittle. When I separate the prints from the supports it breaks away suuuuuuper easily by hand. Like, too easily. Which seems to be causing the failures.

There was a new version of Lychee which may have changed the settings when I wasn't looking, but trying to identify all possibilities.

Don't forget about cold weather. Start with some calibrations and go from there.

Thay said, for sure resin goes bad

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I'm experimenting with trying different colour prints, so it'll pause partway through printing and I can swap the spool to a different colour. I seem to have found the settings in Prusaslicer and on the slicing screen it shows my colour changes and where I think the auto-pause is, at the layer between colours where prusaslicer says "m600"), which I believe is correct and it should stop printing there so I can change to a different colour.
However whenever I try printing this model, it doesn't stop at those sections and just carries on with the same colour and I'm not sure what I've done wrong or missed. I'm using a Neptune 3 to print if that matters at all.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

RoboJoe posted:

However whenever I try printing this model, it doesn't stop at those sections and just carries on with the same colour and I'm not sure what I've done wrong or missed. I'm using a Neptune 3 to print if that matters at all.

The Neptune 3's big downside is it's firmware is really basic, with pretty much all of the 'advanced' features in Marlin turned off.
Chances are it's just ignoring the M600 command entirely. Good news is they have the source code on github, and others have forked versions with the various advanced features turned on.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

BadMedic posted:

The Neptune 3's big downside is it's firmware is really basic, with pretty much all of the 'advanced' features in Marlin turned off.
Chances are it's just ignoring the M600 command entirely. Good news is they have the source code on github, and others have forked versions with the various advanced features turned on.

Ahh, I see. Thanks, I didn't know the firmware isn't very good for this printer as it's been perfectly fine for everything I've wanted to do so far.
I'll try to find that source code and figure out how to upgrade the firmware sometime!

Edit:
I saw this post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ElegooNeptune3/comments/yzto97/prusaslicer_and_incorrect_pauseresume_problem/
I started up a print, manually paused, and resumed and it didn't extrude any more, so I have this issue too. I've not needed to pause a print until I've tried manually pausing switching filaments mid-print today so maybe this is related to the auto-pause not functioning correctly.

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 21, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so, I left my resin+IPA mixture out in the sun in a cambro container to cure, and i have a nice layer of clear IPA on the top and all the resin has settled, but when i try to pour it through a coffee filter, it either just drips (like a coffee filter would?) or won't flow at all.

how can i seperate these two without over-agitating the solution and mixing the cured resin back into it? i was thinking using a cup or container to scoop the clean ipa off the top and just discard the last inch or so?

Maybe a different filter and a siphon pump+funnel?

Edit: wham bam has a setup i particularly like, gonna grab some of this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jy0u7jqms

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

when i try to pour it through a coffee filter, it either just drips (like a coffee filter would?) or won't flow at all.

how can i seperate these two without over-agitating the solution and mixing the cured resin back into it?

Re-usable coffee filters seem to allow more flow than paper filters, but have fine enough mesh to capture most junk (I've used to filter loose tea recently)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Deviant posted:

Edit: wham bam has a setup i particularly like, gonna grab some of this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jy0u7jqms

This video really captures the absolute worst part of this whole process, which is draining out those stupid rectangular containers all the wash and cure stations use. There's no loving way to do it without either taking forever or making a huge and probably unsafe mess. You can see all the IPA just going right down this dude's arm as he pours.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

This video really captures the absolute worst part of this whole process, which is draining out those stupid rectangular containers all the wash and cure stations use. There's no loving way to do it without either taking forever or making a huge and probably unsafe mess. You can see all the IPA just going right down this dude's arm as he pours.

fuckin YUP. you gotta commit to a pour from that kind of container, if you try to slow roll it it just dribbles down the side.

i was at one point looking into a clear pitcher for this reason, and I use a blacksmith's apron when doing anything w resin now. plus it makes me feel like the guy from I Did A Thing. How are you going?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Work smarter, not harder.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dyna-glo-dh-10-manual-kerosene-pump

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I use normal paper coffee filters, just buy a hundred pack of the "gallon size" filters. I let my containers get blasted by the sun for a week or two, curing the snot out of it and simultaneously settling most of the cured resin to the bottom. Most of the poured IPA off the top is the clean IPA and it just flows through the filters pretty quickly. The grungy stuff at the bottom isn't enough to overflow the filters by the time I get down to that point. It does test my patience though if I were to let it go as the filter rate plummets quick with sedimentary crud so I use two filters for each pour. After 30 seconds to a minute I slide out the first coffee filter which has a majority of the really big chunks and goop stuck to it, then the second filter can proceed at an acceptable rate.

I tried using a silicon pour spout on the lip of the container to prevent the splashing like that video has going down his arms in the first few seconds. None of the ones I found were more than like two inches long so they never wrapped around the mouth of the container enough to prevent the IPA from running back down the side of the container. Best I've found is to get a bigger target and pour it faster. If there are any tips for that I'd love to hear them. Might look into that hand pump linked above to get the bulk off the top and allow a manageable amount of remaining IPA to allow me to go YOLO pour all the time.

Edit: Also I found out what was going on earlier. While my resin may be a bit old it's apparently not the issue. A new version of Lychee came out at some point and reset a bunch of settings. One of those settings was the tip width of support cones. The setting was down to the lowest I've ever seen the value, so supports were barely touching the model. I pulled up an old print I made a long time ago and wrote down the value ranges I was using in different situations and started applying them to new prints, now they're working fine.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 22, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Elegoo Neptune 3 havers: is the Bowden assembly/extruder a pain in the rear end or no? Was going to wait for the 3 pro to be available in Canada but who knows when that's happening

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Edit: Also I found out what was going on earlier. While my resin may be a bit old it's apparently not the issue. A new version of Lychee came out at some point and reset a bunch of settings. One of those settings was the tip width of support cones. The setting was down to the lowest I've ever seen the value, so supports were barely touching the model. I pulled up an old print I made a long time ago and wrote down the value ranges I was using in different situations and started applying them to new prints, now they're working fine.

Plz give settings, as this would explain my issues.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Mercury posted:

Elegoo Neptune 3 havers: is the Bowden assembly/extruder a pain in the rear end or no? Was going to wait for the 3 pro to be available in Canada but who knows when that's happening

Supposedly they have a thousand units being shipped to the US right now, so might not be too long.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I've been having persistent issues with the auto bed leveling on my Ender-3 S1 giving me worse results than manual calibration, with the mesh consistently underestimating the height of the left side of the bed and forcing the nozzle down into the bed surface, giving me real gnarly and inconsistent first layers. Trying to compensate by lowering the left screws caused the crash to get worse the next time it auto-leveled.

If anyone else is having the same issue, I swapped out the CR-Touch mount and fan shroud with a print of this modified mount that lines up the tip of the probe with the nozzle, and after doing a couple test prints it looks like this has compensated for whatever was causing the probe to be consistently wrong before this.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 22, 2022

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hm I started having weird base layer issues that I assumed was a slow clog. I was getting pristine prints without any changes (same model on repeat) and then suddenly a disaster. I went back to using a brim for the model and it looks like under extrusion so maybe I have a clog.

Do the sprite direct drives have the same issue as the earlier Bowden tube Ended 3 models? I'll likely do a cold pull and replace the nozzle soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Mr. Mercury posted:

Eh, it's been fine? I've only been printing in PLA, and the only time I had a problem with it was when I accidentally added a 0 to the flow rate, which was my own fault and not a problem with the extruder. Even then it just chewed up some filament, I was able to just snip that off and feed new stuff in and it's been fine.
Otherwise there's been a bit of stringing here and there and that's it. I've heard direct drive is just better in general tho, so it's your call.
BTW nice thing about Elegoo, they actually have a warehouse in Canada so shipping's pretty quick once it gets sent out.