Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and frankly, twitter occasionally doing that sounds like an upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

priznat posted:

This is dumb, he thinks it is on aws and not their own systems, so he has no loving idea what he’s talking about.

His twitter bio checks out

quote:

Only marginally compelling and occasionally accurate

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
could definitely see Facebook or Google doing it - companies which already face the the scale costs and various human/legal issues (content moderation, etc) - and, critically, have their own ad platforms and anxieties that their core audience demos are slipping away from them to new social networks. A lot of major social institutions already have the obligatory Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

the buzzword du jour is "social proof" as an organic audience response to heavily SEO'd online content

control over the dominant microblogging service would add value elsewhere

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I can't see zucc taking on a new social platform that isn't vr and Google doesn't have to do content moderation of the kind social media requires

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
people freaking out about musk bringing back shadowbans and some weird karma system or whatever the gently caress as though the people left are capable of implementing it lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

No one’s going to replicate Twitter because Twitter never made money (two profitable quarters in 16 years) and had less users than Snapchat.

Elon made an offer that Twitter’s board literally couldn’t refuse without there being legal repercussions for them from shareholders. It’s the culmination of a lot of stupid things converging together into a monolith of stupidity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ruggan posted:

So why hasn’t another tech giant with huge infra (Google, Amazon, MS) moved in on this territory yet? Seems like the wake of this collapse would be the perfect time to enter the space.

Is it because the business model sucks or something?
what territory would even be moved into? twitter's value, which has almost always been financially negative, was entirely in its content and userbase, who have already chosen twitter over google's many social network systems. there's very little value in them simply remaking the twitter platform without the assurance that they would get that userbase and content to drive the ads that weren't enough to pay twitter's bills before all this went down. they've already got a dozen social network apps running at a loss, nothing about the twitter format itself was ever particularly special, it simply captured a cultural fascination long enough to build the momentum a social site requires to sustain itself longer than google buzz™. people aren't picking their next site based on how good a product or even necessarily how close to twitter it is - they're going to just follow their interests and audience wherever they go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ronya posted:

could definitely see Facebook or Google doing it -

FB already has a timeline and Google already killed theirs *multiple times*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

hes right that its not like twitter is going to immediately die forever within the next week tbh.

it will become a less and less functional site over time with longer downtimes but the worst case scenario is it becomes like tumblr where it breaks for a few hours every week and occasionally you get Welcome To My gently caress House.

When Twitter falls, it's gone and potentially never coming back. Anyone who knows what's broken and why left or was fired, and the people that crunch for Musk probably aren't gonna stick around for long either. Last one out won't need to switch off the lights, the power will short out on its own.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?
Sorry a few pages late so sorry if someone answered. API is an IEEE standard for communication between Penises (the P in API) and Anuses (the A). It’s French but the English equivalent would be PIA. The I doesn’t mean anything ;) Again sorry if this was answered

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

FB already has a timeline and Google already killed theirs *multiple times*

lol I keep forgetting Google Plus existed because it was so loving awful

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I recently saw an android app I thought of downloading which has a description saying "please go to my Plus space where I'll explain how to optimize your experience" and it straights up go to a 404'd page. Google created a whole community worth of lost media lmao

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MS should be itching to re-debut their "Live" brand of blogging-type services to suck up the former twitter users.

Windows Live ID
Windows Live Profile
Windows Live Messenger Mobile
Windows Live People
Windows Live Expo
Windows Live QnA
Windwos Live Groups

and a dozen other things that twitter does, they have all that mass-scale software sitting on a shelf, tied together, patented protected up to the armpits, just throw a visually pleasing four color bigly fonted layer over top and get your emergency response PR team at Edelman to flood every mainstream media orifice that will take a press release for two weeks and you've captured nearly everyone once the exodous hits.

Kudo, Phil, Yusuf, please, make it happen.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

I think this is the moron who regularly gets flayed alive for his awful legal 'analysis' so I'd chalk this up as a bad sign for the tweeters.

https://twitter.com/BadLegalTakes/status/1497236457202745346

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Yeah the funniest thing about all this was of all the problems twitter had, the actual underlying infrastructure was not one of them. But by slashing all the teams who maintain it to the bone you better believe it will be a problem going forward (on top of everything else).

AWS gets goddamn expensive fast, anything at a massive scale should really roll their own.

The "push everything to the cloud" community is funny, because most of them have no goddamn idea how expensive that is. We have a big push at work to move a bunch of on prem servers to Azure, as a lot of the servers are nearing EOL and managers think once something is in the cloud, it stops needing money. The estimate we got back from Microsoft is 300k/month. According to a coworker, it got very quite in the conference call when that number was dropped.
The funny part is, its not a surprise either. Microsoft is very upfront with costs. You want a server with X capacity? It costs $Y. You want more? They'll do it. Sure, you save up front having to buy a server, but you pay monthly for it.
Can it save money? Absolutely. If you don't have a big building full of servers, don't buy them. If you already have that building, becomes a harder sell.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
In some positive news in this billionaire hellworld. Elizabeth Holmes was just sentenced to 11 years.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Using my internet forums superstar power here and

This thread has been so beneficial to GBS so that pretty much seals it that this is the only reason Musk is making news.

What I’m saying is out yourself. :waycool:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I recently saw an android app I thought of downloading which has a description saying "please go to my Plus space where I'll explain how to optimize your experience" and it straights up go to a 404'd page. Google created a whole community worth of lost media lmao
Like thirty percent of the threads here will swiftly become incomprehensible - it's gonna rule.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When Twitter falls, it's gone and potentially never coming back. Anyone who knows what's broken and why left or was fired, and the people that crunch for Musk probably aren't gonna stick around for long either. Last one out won't need to switch off the lights, the power will short out on its own.

these here forums chugged along for years with only the combined might of Lowtax and Radium code

even moot managed to run 4chan

Are you telling me, experienced forums user Comfy, that Elon is a worse webmin than these giants of the early internet?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ruggan posted:

So why hasn’t another tech giant with huge infra (Google, Amazon, MS) moved in on this territory yet? Seems like the wake of this collapse would be the perfect time to enter the space.

Is it because the business model sucks or something?

services need people to use them and if no one uses them then its a waste.

like both microsoft and zuck have tried to eat into amazon twitch and failed because the users on both sides of the media equation , makers and watchers just dont want to move to them.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

The "push everything to the cloud" community is funny, because most of them have no goddamn idea how expensive that is. We have a big push at work to move a bunch of on prem servers to Azure, as a lot of the servers are nearing EOL and managers think once something is in the cloud, it stops needing money.

Pushing everything to the cloud also doesn't make it simpler. It's more expensive AND is just as complex as before.

You can just do it with slightly fewer people.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How did those printed out code screenshots go

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
also calling it that 2024 will be about a trump funded … whatever that social platform is called versus a government-takeover twitter

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

madmatt112 posted:

Hi excuse me yes.

What is a CIA venture capital firm??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-Q-Tel

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Docjowles posted:

lol I keep forgetting Google Plus existed because it was so loving awful

Don't forget Orkut which I believe was bought by Google (or a google prototype?)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Non profit lol

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Party Ape posted:

Don't forget Orkut which I believe was bought by Google (or a google prototype?)

Orkut had a few good communities but iirc everything fell apart with the Portuguese language crisis. Brazilian poo poo posters invaded every community until Anglophones gave up and left.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Non profit lol

They are a non-profit, they often give money out to people for dumb ideas that no other investor would or should.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

What's up dudes? I just want to remind all of you to vote Republican and to keep fighting for neutrality!

- Elon Musk

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Elon has problems with women so of course he will vote for male Trump instead of first female president Rhonda Santis.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

cr0y posted:

How did those printed out code screenshots go
Everyone realized they can slip an ultrasound in a stack of blank pages and walk out with $240k and Tesla stock.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1593739211194400769

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Somewhere I still have the Google Takeout archive of my Google Buzz account. It was mostly auto posts from my Tumblr.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

MS should be itching to re-debut their "Live" brand of blogging-type services to suck up the former twitter users.

Windows Live ID
Windows Live Profile
Windows Live Messenger Mobile
Windows Live People
Windows Live Expo
Windows Live QnA
Windwos Live Groups

and a dozen other things that twitter does, they have all that mass-scale software sitting on a shelf, tied together, patented protected up to the armpits, just throw a visually pleasing four color bigly fonted layer over top and get your emergency response PR team at Edelman to flood every mainstream media orifice that will take a press release for two weeks and you've captured nearly everyone once the exodous hits.

Kudo, Phil, Yusuf, please, make it happen.
Remember how Windows killed Skype

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593673844996288512

We already got the "freedom of reach" bit posted here, but I didn't see his first big reinstatements mentioned. Nothing says hardcore like misspelling 2/3 of them!

Or maybe he really is reinstating a "Kathie Griffin" and "Jorden Peterson". (At this point that might even be the more probable option.)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

From my understanding amazon dropped by US$1T this week and bezos should be the one in the deeper poo poo but musk is somehow overtaking him by just having a big elongated meltdown

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo :lol:

I'm sure advertisers are THRILLED at this decision

Advertisers don’t give two shits if Jorp is banned or not.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Molten Llama posted:

Or maybe he really is reinstating a "Kathie Griffin" and "Jorden Peterson". (At this point that might even be the more probable option.)

He's aping the "misspell a name for comedy effect" that imo cringe but humour is subjective

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Something else I'd really love to see happen is for Google to spend a bunch of money building the post-twitter twitter replacement, paying out enough bribes to techscum to build fake buzz that spills over into normal person awareness land and for it all to go to poo poo in less than four months by insisting that in 2022 everything still has to be locked behind a faux self-effacing beta tag and their dumbass invite system.

I love when they wreck something by doing that. Did great to kill off Stadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

these here forums chugged along for years with only the combined might of Lowtax and Radium code

even moot managed to run 4chan

Are you telling me, experienced forums user Comfy, that Elon is a worse webmin than these giants of the early internet?

yes. twitter is a global distributed system of insane complexity