Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

wtf why am I only now getting a tutorial about driver combos

dont worry its also a bad tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what's the additional card pass? i saw some rumbling on twitter that implied the game was basically pointless without also buying that, i.e. doubling the price of the game.

E: oh hey i got a red text avatar (despite not posting anything particularly inflammatory recently?)

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 18, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

what's the additional card pass? i saw some rumbling on twitter that implied the game was basically pointless without also buying that, i.e. doubling the price of the game.

It's a season pass for card sets being added over the course of next year lol

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

The translation is loving awful, especially in the tutorial, the most important part!

Yeah, they obviously meant to say "untap all tapped permanents you control".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FractalSandwich posted:

:goonsay: I think you mean to say "stand all rested... things... you control" :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Overbite posted:

All side systems feel like after thoughts. the skill trees seem pointless aside from the attacks and unique passives, most of the DUMA stuff seems useless, I'm 25 hours in and barely touched crafting because I never needed it (though I assume it's mostly there because it has to be and is required for end game gear). Everything about this feels extremely low budget but despite all that they managed to make a game better than Star Ocean 5, and maaaaaybe 4? I do like how in 4 there was actual space travel. 4 had nappy time though, so I just decided 6 is better.

You get as much out of crafting as you put into it. Which is fine since it let's people ignore it if they want, but you can get gear you won't find for a while(or ever) by doing it.

Alchemy, crafting and eventually synthesis is how you break the game wide open(or get a power bump if you need it for a certain area/boss).

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

nothing much, feeling a bit horisontal today is all

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FractalSandwich posted:

isn't that patent still in force?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm only faintly familiar with it because my only experience was the LP but does the new Tactics Ogre make managing your army's loyalty or chaos Frame easier? Aside from everyone starting out at lvl 1 each time they changed classes, that and the crafting RNG are the only annoying things I know about it that aren't post game grinding things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

isn't that patent still in force?

nope

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm only faintly familiar with it because my only experience was the LP but does the new Tactics Ogre make managing your army's loyalty or chaos Frame easier? Aside from everyone starting out at lvl 1 each time they changed classes, that and the crafting RNG are the only annoying things I know about it that aren't post game grinding things.

I don't know about Chaos Frame, but loyalty is silly easy because increasing weapon skill ranks increases loyalty, and there's a severe rubber band effect when your weapon rank is more than a couple of levels below the character's level. One or two training missions with new weapons will make anyone your best friend forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zurai posted:

I don't know about Chaos Frame, but loyalty is silly easy because increasing weapon skill ranks increases loyalty, and there's a severe rubber band effect when your weapon rank is more than a couple of levels below the character's level. One or two training missions with new weapons will make anyone your best friend forever.

I'm honestly not sure what mechanic I'm thinking of. I might be half-remembering balancing Faith and Bravery in FFTactics for all I know.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chaos Frame was infamous in OB64 since there was no mention of it whatsoever until after you had already seen your lovely ending from having a bad Chaos Frame, and it was based on a game mechanic that is mentioned in passing in the optional tutorial and never actually explained

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

IIRC the tutorial shows you that sometimes you can liberate a stronghold and sometimes you can capture it, but doesn't tell you how you can make sure one or the other happens or that successfully doing so will affect what ending you get. It is based on the lawful/chaotic alignment of your unit leader and the stronghold's "morale" value, one of which is readonly and the other of which is difficult to control in and of itself unless you're cheating. The moral of the story is, always cheat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm honestly not sure what mechanic I'm thinking of. I might be half-remembering balancing Faith and Bravery in FFTactics for all I know.

Oh, no, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there isn't a Chaos Frame in TO:Reborn. I just don't know whether it's any easier to manage. Loyalty is infinitely easier, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zurai posted:

Oh, no, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there isn't a Chaos Frame in TO:Reborn. I just don't know whether it's any easier to manage. Loyalty is infinitely easier, though.

If loyalty is easier to deal with now then that was probably what I was thinking of

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I think the only Chaos Frame improvement is getting the ability to see it once you clear the game. Not sure if there were also numerical adjustments done.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I missed good dad chat, but I wanted to mention King Graham from the King's Quest series. Sure, a sorcerer stole his son and whisked him away to another continent, but Graham's supportive to both his kids and is just a great dude in general.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS?

I see little info on the actual page

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to say it's got a lot of content, but its not very deep. 98% of the game is retreading the stories of the various series with 'also your squad is there', which is roughly the norm for these I guess?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My best explaination is that it's functionally like a Dynasty Warriors-esque version of SRW if you're familar with that.

Like, it still plays Similar to a SRW but for the most part each mission is structured into two parts where you do a Plot Fight that follows closely to original story and then a fight where it's the second part of whatever story mission is happening but in the background your squad of dudes are there Doing Stuff while the Original Story just happens in a straight forward manner.

There's some cute things in it like the fact that a ton of chars have some special line when doing Burning Finger from the God Gundam and the fact that you can toss a ton of randos who you never see pilot things in their respective shows into a Gundam and turn them into killing machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1FVbBcqhI

It's ultimately the kind of game if you like grinding up gundams to turn them into Better Gundams and Making the Numbers Go Bigger and Bigger it might be enjoyable for you to get your money's worth, but for the most part it's a pretty shallow experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It is pretty much a weird mix of Pokemon and SRW. If you like using weird MSVs and making war crime bits you might enjoy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the SD Gundam G Generation games are like Disgaea if you removed both the plot and the weirder mechanics. Just a fairly basic strategy RPG grindfest. They're fun if you like Gundam and the freedom to put anyone in any mech, or if you like making number go up/a slow but steady progression of power, but if you want like, a fully featured Strategy RPG with a narrative and flow, no.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Soul Hackers 2 patch is out, its a huge QoL improvement and fixes the astonishingly hilarious loading problem on modern consoles/pc. It does not fix the very stupid decision to lock character stories/side content behind NG+

Of course after I already finished the game!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really wish it didn’t use the chibi art style. I know that is a key feature of the series, but it doesn’t look right to me with Gundam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zeboyd games continues to charm the hell out of me with This Way Madness Lies, and they paid for a vocal song????

Anyway time to decide the most important thing, who is best girl

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There was a vocal song in Cosmic Star Heroine also, I think Laura Shigihara did it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was a vocal song in Cosmic Star Heroine also, I think Laura Shigihara did it

Well clearly I forgot all about it!!

Im glad Zeboyd is sticking to and improving their core combat system, I quite like it and iteration rules

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barudak posted:

Zeboyd games continues to charm the hell out of me with This Way Madness Lies, and they paid for a vocal song????

Anyway time to decide the most important thing, who is best girl

Beatrice was my MVP and also 100% shops at Hot Topic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CaptainRat posted:

I think the only Chaos Frame improvement is getting the ability to see it once you clear the game. Not sure if there were also numerical adjustments done.

As far as I'm aware, the ways you gain/lose chaos frame in Reborn are the same, but it ultimately barely matters because there is literally one recruit in the entire game who cares about chaos frame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cressida's recruitment involves a lot of bullshit that all becomes very simplified if you beat the game first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well well well This Way Madness Lies I see you designed you skip cutscene button explicitly for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Well well well This Way Madness Lies I see you designed you skip cutscene button explicitly for me.

puppy hater

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I never skip cutscenes because I'm not a total barbarian and have manners.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Instead of skipping cutscenes I think more games should give you the ability to replay them afterwards

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A prompt appears for the skip cutscene button but every time you press it the characters get annoyed and start all over from the beginning.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you can skip the cutscene but you wont get completion percentage for it

oh wait

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Scene skip is a really nice feature for anyone who is replaying either another playthrough, or coming back from a save.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

people who skip the transformation scenes belong in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Red Blue posted:

people who skip the transformation scenes belong in jail

Surely you'd make an exception for shadow hearts from the new world