Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what if they added a second tank who could bounce back and forth between protecting the first tank and, if needed, the supports? It would also give something else for the DPS to play around and could help contest the point

That's a revolutionary idea, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Uninstalled. I might revisit down the track but it's just awful, awful poo poo. I don't want to play ranked and there is no point to playing quick play. Won 2 total games tonight in 6 hours of play - both were absolute walkovers where the enemy team basically didn't exist. Then queued some heals and had tanks that simply would not contest unless they were staggered and then would happily run in and die solo. When the team was back up, they felt that they had to hang back with us for moral support. I'm talking Orisas and Zaryas with 3 kills for an entire match. And so, so many Doomfists, for god knows what reason. So, so many. So then I queued tank for a couple, and had DPS who could not do damage in every match. So then I queued DPS and it was back to tanks and heals simply not knowing what this game is. Lots of Widows on the enemy team and I would watch my healers and other dps stand out in the open and die, and not learn from this that standing out in the open was a non optimal move so they would do it for the entire match. Then the tank would walk out by themself and try to contest the objective and get pasted in seconds and then say "dps diff" or "heal diff" or both.

The opposing teams ranged from minimally coordinated, which was all they needed, to death stomp machines who must have been stacked. Of course, there is no way to tell from the interface any more - that's hidden like anything else that might give you information about *why* the match is going the way it is.

There is no pretence of matchmaking balance in this game. There is no semblance of anything approaching a worthwhile time on any of the classes while they're grouping such hugely disparate skill levels. I don't know why this seems to cut against me 80% of the time - I know that I'm the common factor but I *cannot control my team mates* and they are the feeding, slampicking characters that they can't play and never, ever changing and vacantly holding W problem most of the time. I know when I gently caress up and kick myself for it and try to do better but the games that I'm getting handed are just utterly crazily bad. I don't understand how this system can do what it's doing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hope you enjoy the break.

Meanwhile I was sitting at 55% winrate, taking a month to climb B5 to B3 tank, when suddenly yesterday I won 10 games in a row and now I'm silver 5 :yeah:

Definitely felt like my actions matter as Dr. "secretly a DPS" Sigma. That "control the map" video was excellent, too, thank you Mister Fister!

Mister Fister posted:

Great video by A10 (who's constantly a top 10 player on the leaderboards) on open space/corners/resource management:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thm-q9A2AaE

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking as a support main, I think what people playing support often find frustrating is when their team mates blame a lack of heals on their death. Remember, we have a much better view of what's going on. I see you taking that 1 v 3 and missing half your shots. I see you diving into a spot that blocks LOS way faster than I can catch up and then, when you take damage, falling back deeper into enemy lines. I see you respawn, run past me while I'm waiting for the tank and go off and solo dive the enemy team again

Bad DPS blame a lack of healing on their deaths when they can't understand that they took or even forced bad fights and then under performed.

Also, got my second adjustment last night, Silver 4 :toot:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the more I climb the more I feel like I'm taking heat for dps/tank poor choices of engagement. I have never felt as appreciated as support as I do when I am in the absolute dumpster tier just trying my best and being positive

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking as a support main, I think what people playing support often find frustrating is when their team mates blame a lack of heals on their death. Remember, we have a much better view of what's going on. I see you taking that 1 v 3 and missing half your shots. I see you diving into a spot that blocks LOS way faster than I can catch up and then, when you take damage, falling back deeper into enemy lines. I see you respawn, run past me while I'm waiting for the tank and go off and solo dive the enemy team again

Bad DPS blame a lack of healing on their deaths when they can't understand that they took or even forced bad fights and then under performed.

This. Again and again and again.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Countblanc posted:

sometimes i feel like the way people talk about playing support is a psyop aimed to keep the queue times down by making people think it's miserable instead of actually cool

It's so I can launch overwatch and be b'lastin around the map honking enemy supports in the head in like 2 minutes flat with Lucio.

e: seriously Lucio is one of the best supports right now. Just play Lucio. It's a completely different game. Play close and protect teammates, boost them away from damage or amp heal at the right moment, beat your idiot teammates into fights, bully the enemy tank and make them miss every hook or charge, prefire corners, watch your idiot DPS stand in the middle of open areas and get dumped on.

Play in the backline and take dives at the zen or widow or whatever, dink the enemy DPS from way behind them, rotate around the map from the outside bumping into the skybox and descend onto the enemy DPS right outside their spawn with a perfect 4 hits into boop>melee. Delicious.

Generally giggle to yourself and blast around.

Best character, best role.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 18, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought I we were doing pretty decent in a Germany defense. We kept dropping the point at the 10-30 seconds but we were otherwise seemingly keeping it pretty clear. Winston was playing predictable, he would hop over, I’d break the barrier then shoot him until he ran away or died. Got me a couple times overextending, but otherwise I was winning most of the fights. Or so I thought.

Is it winning when the other tank has 35 elims in wood tier QP? Probably not. When I saw that I don’t know how we were coming so close to winning. I was focusing on my healers and the payload but I guess I should have realized that he was wrecking the DPS behind the enemy lines before coming over to play with me. I should have dived in there a bit more to take the heat off of them.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Hypnolobster posted:

Best character, best role.

My man: :chord::respek::chord:

Jack Trades posted:

Support is ALWAYS the number one priority target in any teamfight.

They have removed half of the tanks.

Tank roster in general has less ability to protect teammates than they did in OW1.

All of the above is just straight up facts.
Couple that with the idea that Supports aren't designed to be able to do much to advance the objective on their own, because they have half the damage output of everyone else, and no wonder nobody wants to play Support.

It's the most stressful role with absolutely zero payoff.

They need to allow every tank to protect their healers somehow because most of them can't do poo poo about opponents just walking/shooting past them to get at their healers.

This is assuming the tanks are even paying attention to where the support even is, and not trying to 1v1 the enemy tank. I had my best game with Rein by just hanging back with support and providing a target for the enemy team, while the DPS flanked. It was a total shut out as we capped the point 100-0 and hardly died, if at all.

I main support, usually Lucio or Bap, and if my team is playing like a team and staying together, I can usually go 15-2 sometimes double that with at least 5k healing regardless of support hero, with the exception of maybe Brig.

The payoff is knowing that if it wasn't for support keeping everyone alive, we wouldn't have won. :smuggo: Lucio's ult can be the most clutch thing that keeps you on point for that last 5 seconds.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 18, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The only time I ever find support not as enjoyable is when my DPS or Tank can't kill things, lmao.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I think support issues are kind of overblown. Obviously not getting help as a couple of them are rough when you're being hard focused. I also feel like I have to Baptiste and Moira alot because people in gold need to be constantly pumped with heals and I'm not good enough at aiming with Ana. They just desperately need more support characters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wT5y43PYOZU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the more I climb the more I feel like I'm taking heat for dps/tank poor choices of engagement. I have never felt as appreciated as support as I do when I am in the absolute dumpster tier just trying my best and being positive

I just had a Reinhardt scream at me for playing brig when I had the most heals on my team and DMG comparable to DPS. He would regularly push their spawn and trickle to his death, all while crying about my choice of healer after he played junker queen for a whole round.

IMO don't take it so personal when the tank trickles into the middle of the enemy team and suicides while screaming for heals. If he was capable of recognizing his own mistakes he wouldn't be making them. Just turn off the chat and do the best you can and if you lose well that's just life. You can play your best and still take heat and lose and that's ok.

I try to think of how I could have played that game better. What about the times I died out of position? Should I have stayed glued to the rein even as he charged into their spawn and called me names? Maybe I should have switched to handle the pharah? Maybe nothing, maybe I played phenomenally and just didn't win. It's tough.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I'll say this, i've mained support for years and it's fine but yes it feels like you're doing a job. But when I jump into qp and play dps or a tank, I notice the difference and I can say i'm actually having fun. Lucio probably is the exception to that as his mechanics are actually very fun to play with.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gorgeous Mohammad posted:

I think support issues are kind of overblown.

to be clear, it's not that "high pressure role that demands a greater degree of execution" is bad design necessarily; a big part of the reason i enjoy support is precisely because it's a stressful, difficult-to-execute role that has a completely unique flavor compared to the other two, and pulling it off feels loving great

the real meat of the issue is that the people who enjoy this sort of thing are in the relative minority of players, and it's hard to actually meaningfully change how the game is structured to appeal more to people outside that group

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I personally don't feel the pressure playing support, but that's all I played in OW1 so maybe I'm just used to it? Lol. The onus of securing the first pick to put you at an advantage in OW2 falls heavily on the DPS and/or I guess the tank to make that opening play. Tank can feel very frustrating if you're getting outplayed too. I honestly feel like there's more pressure from the responsiblity of those roles to secure final blows as opposed to support just trying to stay alive/keep your team alive.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking as a support main, I think what people playing support often find frustrating is when their team mates blame a lack of heals on their death. Remember, we have a much better view of what's going on.

Yeah, sometimes playing support is like watching a slow motion pile up on the freeway from afar.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
Your mistakes as support definitely feel amplified. If you want to make an impact as support then you need to be doing damage and contributing to elims but it's easy to put yourself in a bad position and die or tunnel vision and let someone else on your team die. DPS should be doing more than just racking up damage numbers as well but as long as you're not letting a Pharah annihilate your team then people aren't going to notice your mistakes as much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it must be said that there also is just straight up an extreme amount of friction when it comes to getting people to play anything whose role is labeled as "support" regardless of actual game power or influence

support is still the least played role in league despite it being significantly less stressful on an individual level (you don't have to play the CS minigame and are partnered with someone who, generally speaking, is going to get targeted first), having an outsized game impact for its income, and having had its champion pool expanded to include an infinite scaling marksman and an assassin guy with insane mobility whose ult is a pentakill highlight reel generator

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i generally never recommend people talk on comms more if they want to win more (unless you're 1000% sure that what you're saying is correct info and has 0% chance of tilting team mates) but if you're playing support you can say 'rein you can go wild, I'm right behind you' and it's got as much of a chance of working as anything

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Turds want to feel like the main character, because of their feelies.

~~~

No one seems to understand Baptiste's ult. I cannot, under any circumstances, convince my team to shoot through it. They'll always just run right past it, and, sure I can heal them more that way, but.... but... just shoot through the drat field. Shoot through the field!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sounds like you're placing it poorly

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m fine playing support but I’d love an All Roles queue that was actually all roles and not just a second support queue.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to use Mei's wall until you have like 20 hours on the character.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Countblanc posted:

Sounds like you're placing it poorly

I can shove the thing a third of the way down a hallway, and have a Sojourn and a Soldier on my team, and they won't shoot through it.

Like, I have no problems shooting through it and melting dudes, so I've just accepted that it's a "me" thing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

leftist heap posted:

I’m fine playing support but I’d love an All Roles queue that was actually all roles and not just a second support queue.

I tend to play at 7 am as part of my routine before going to work and will get placed in other roles than support when I join All Roles queue that early on a weekday. But players seem to play very... strangely when you're up playing Overwatch that early in the morning.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just got told I was being toxic because I said "Hanzo wait" because he ran into the middle of the entire team solo. Then I asked "Mercy, you got this?" Because she was standing by herself, trying to shoot at Genji, Moira, and Ana while the rest of us spawned.

I hoped in comp, people would care a bit more about tactics and teamwork, but no. They just want to single file into players going 35-1 in bronze 5. :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tracer doesn't have any weapon falloff <20m (it's supposed to be <13m), lmao.
She's probably gonna get removed from the game for two weeks as well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Got pumped up 3 spots on my dps. Gold 4 :ohyeah: feels suitably hard.
People can actually aim and make good decisions (occasionally).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Genji nerf has made the game much more enjoyable for now

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Tracer doesn't have any weapon falloff <20m (it's supposed to be <13m), lmao.
She's probably gonna get removed from the game for two weeks as well.
lol

video https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/yz2nt9/huge_bug_tracer_has_no_fall_off_under_20_meters/

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
I've just gone from Silver 2 to Bronze 2 in one jump. Is this normal?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

That seems pretty excessive drop. How many games did you lose before ranking?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I'm not saying I carried that match, but I carried that match

Getting double-pocketed and dominating the enemy Rein feels just so good.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Issaries posted:

That seems pretty excessive drop. How many games did you lose before ranking?

All of them, it seems

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008

Omnikin posted:

All of them, it seems

I presume so since it's the first time I've changed rank on a loss.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Not even in a mean way, sorry for how casual that statement was. It's every 7 wins or 20 losses, right? So I would assume the 20 hit ya

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OptionalPirate posted:

I presume so since it's the first time I've changed rank on a loss.

If you changed rank on a loss, you hit 20 losses before you got to 7 wins. So that drop from Silver 2 to Bronze 2 seems accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Issaries posted:

I'm not saying I carried that match, but I carried that match

Getting double-pocketed and dominating the enemy Rein feels just so good.

2 x 18k healing makes rein an unstoppable machine.

What map was it?