Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Im assuming they're basically placeholders for beta, but choosing missions with 'more hordes' seems like a huge trap right now except maybe to get the weird Penances, you get a xp bonus but you get the same bonus for doing a 'less hordes' mission and the difference in added difficulty is huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the difference in XP between rank 1 and rank 2 is only 100 ?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Rabelais D posted:

Coming from Vermintide 2 it feels like melee in this game doesn't quite have the same great weighty feedback, I also don't feel like there's good feedback as to where I'm taking damage from. Sometimes feels like I'm taking random damage, or suddenly all my toughness disappears and I have no idea how, but I suppose that's because I'm new to the game (I do know to look behind me).

Also, all the levels look the same: dark corridors leading to dark open spaces. Nothing beats bashing rats in the head in an open field on a sunny day.

There's a level where you go a broken dome where the light is streaming into the interiors and you run around the shantytown in the open. It's very bright.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Beloved tells me not to touch the pub stove, but I do, and it burns.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Played some Ogryn today and enjoyed it, though I concur with someone earlier in the thread who said it's a bit rough being stuck with the club and the single barrel shotgun for the first several levels.

That gun packs a huge wallop and, as a fan of shotguns in FPS games, I want to love it. But the drat thing takes ages to reload, generally long enough that you're going to get meelee'd before you can get off a second shot unless you're doing a full speed retreat.

The ripper shotgun is really fun though.

If you're playing something other than Ogryn keep in mind that your large friend can barely do any damage at long range. Please shoot the snipers. Please. I can't rush down every single one of them.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I managed to load into a game with 3 bots for a bit and they stayed hugging me in a nice tight little deathball, then 3 randos joined and it was actually the best pub experience I've had, one of each class and the psyker had chain lighting stuff that locked groups down.

Also had a dog get poochied back to his home planet in an earlier game :pluto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYjnF_Qvf8k

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some of the weekly quests seem to be a big buggy.

Have one which is "Kill 750 dregs with ranged". Fine, dregs are just the normal looking guys, right?
Well, no apparently. Had a lot of missions where I got no kills registered, trying to focus on clearing crowds with ranged.
"Oh well, maybe it's misattributed to another enemy type?" Nope again, shooting at everything in a mission, no progress.
"Hmm, it seems to have triggered on this mission, maybe it only works for that mission for some reason?" Nope, trying the same mission twice in a row, first clear had 200 kills register, second clear had none.

In the end, I figured it's just literally random.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Dregs are the human guys dressed like sand people from star wars, sometimes they'll appear as your main enemy in missions but I don't know if there's a way to tell what the enemy type will be when you start. If you're against dregs their specials will spawn as well, i.e. dreg flamer

the good news is I'm pretty sure those contracts are party wide, so any ranged kill of a dreg by a group member counts. When you do get dreg missions it completes pretty fast

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Some of the weekly quests seem to be a big buggy.

Have one which is "Kill 750 dregs with ranged". Fine, dregs are just the normal looking guys, right?
Well, no apparently. Had a lot of missions where I got no kills registered, trying to focus on clearing crowds with ranged.
"Oh well, maybe it's misattributed to another enemy type?" Nope again, shooting at everything in a mission, no progress.
"Hmm, it seems to have triggered on this mission, maybe it only works for that mission for some reason?" Nope, trying the same mission twice in a row, first clear had 200 kills register, second clear had none.

In the end, I figured it's just literally random.

Dregs are the yellow robed faction of high end mooks. Where the scabs have the armored marauders with the spiked shoulder pads the dregs have the carapace helmet guys with the bare torso and yellow robes. Dreg/scab gunners, etc.

It appears the faction you're facing is random? I'm not sure if any mission is guaranteed to have one or the other.

efb

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flavahbeast posted:

Dregs are the human guys dressed like sand people from star wars, sometimes they'll appear as your main enemy in missions but I don't know if there's a way to tell what the enemy type will be when you start. If you're against dregs their specials will spawn as well, i.e. dreg flamer

the good news is I'm pretty sure those contracts are party wide, so any ranged kill of a dreg by a group member counts. When you do get dreg missions it completes pretty fast

Yeah, and I'm 100% sure I was shooting at those guys. I even noticed I got a bunch of "Dreg" specials killed during the missions. Didn't count anyway

Orv
May 4, 2011
Weird, I didn't have any problems getting those done but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

:siren: If you melee push a poxburster who is mid-air in their final leap it will throw them far enough away that you will not take damage. :siren: Walls permitting and all that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So there’s three more really obviously “this will be a vendor/station of some kind” spots on the Morningstar. The techpriest (is that Hadron?) looks like a pretty obvious crafting/upgrade station. Has there been any rumblings at all about what else might or might not pop up at actual launch?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

So there’s three more really obviously “this will be a vendor/station of some kind” spots on the Morningstar. The techpriest (is that Hadron?) looks like a pretty obvious crafting/upgrade station. Has there been any rumblings at all about what else might or might not pop up at actual launch?

I imagine one of them is probably the premium cosmetics interface, since that's nowhere to be seen in menus. Otherwise all we've heard is "some surprises" are coming.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

field balm posted:

I just want to know why I can't do the cool slide move around the space station :colbert:

You mean the frigate?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Rougey posted:

Beloved tells me not to touch the pub stove, but I do, and it burns.

Almost immediately after playing the WORST pub game I've played in anything in a long time, Beloved gifted me this:

Cackles Manically

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Rougey posted:

Almost immediately after playing the WORST pub game I've played in anything in a long time, Beloved gifted me this:

Cackles Manically

Wowzers that's awesome

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

You mean the frigate?

if that's what the hub is then yes

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just got a purple combat axe drop with the Brutal Momentum trait, which says that on a Weak Spot Kill, you ignore enemy hit mass. Someone here was asking what that could mean, and I'm here to say it means "infinite cleave." Hope you got it on a weapon that can swing sideways because if you do, mwah. And yeah, I've made it work on a combat axe despite it only having one wide sweep attack; just gotta block-cancel and learn the combo.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Wowzers that's awesome

I keep killing myself because force lighting is awesome.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rougey posted:

Cackles Manically

Plus minus four percent.

:fatshark:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do you make a grenade blow up before it hits the ground lol

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Lightning Staff trip report: Stagger poxbursters at will. Psyker is best.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JBP posted:

Throw it very, very far. Best place is when you're extracting on the ammo resupply mission, chuck it at the door as a horde comes through. You'll see the indicator end above the ground if you're throwing it right, aim it about a poxwalker and a half high, maybe a little lower.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

I know what you're trying to do and I wish you luck. That said, I managed to get mine by just quick-throwing the frag up high at an incoming horde. Don't hold the button where you can see the arc, just throw up high (you shouldn't be able to see the target) and hope for the best.

The level where there's a bridge you cross and then hold out for an elevator is a good place to go for it. Multiple hordes will rush you so you have more chances to get the cheevo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JBP posted:

shoot it

Estel
May 4, 2010

S.J. posted:

Also, what is 'hit mass' and why would I care about ignoring it? A lot of the stat references in this game are completely unexplained.

toasterwarrior posted:

I just got a purple combat axe drop with the Brutal Momentum trait, which says that on a Weak Spot Kill, you ignore enemy hit mass. Someone here was asking what that could mean, and I'm here to say it means "infinite cleave." Hope you got it on a weapon that can swing sideways because if you do, mwah.

Each enemy type in the game has a certain mass, increasing difficulty increases it. The mass of an enemy indicates how difficult is to stagger them and to cleave through them. Someone asked before about power level of the weapons, apart from increased damage it increases your stagger and cleave stats so you can keep with the mass increase of the higher difficulties. This is the reason why playing in higher difficulty missions with low power level is so painful, you can't stagger the enemies and your hits can only hit one enemy at a time because you can't cleave through them.

Edit: This is how it works in Vermintide so i guess it's the same in Darktide.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

speaking of veteran penances

"marked for death" - when it says to hit 4 enemies weak spots with a secondary action without missing "a shot"

its confusing me because I thought secondary was the thumb button on weapons ? which is always a punch of slap or bayonet etc or is it something else ? I seem to have done it 3/4 times already but im not sure which gun I was using to do that

edit: ok so - it just completed using the helbore lasgun with the charge fire (by just holding down mouse1) - so I guess that is what is considered a secondary action - pretty easy in the end. just 4 headshots in a row with charged shots in one volley fire.

edit2: or as people below me said, its just by aim down sight headshots.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 19, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Its kind of crazy how much of a difference in performance turning off Steam overlay has, goddamn.

Does anyone else, regardless of other performance, have massively worse performance on the scanning map? That scanning objective is a real drag to do with clueless pubbies too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Secondary is zoomed-in mode with a rifle. You just need to snipe 4 heads in a row using the Volley Fire special ability without missing a head.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Qmass posted:

"marked for death" - when it says to hit 4 enemies weak spots with a secondary action without missing "a shot"

its confusing me because I thought secondary was the thumb button on weapons ? which is always a punch of slap or bayonet etc or is it something else ? I seem to have done it 3/4 times already but im not sure which gun I was using to do that

Yeah, check the keybinds screen, the right-click button is called "secondary action" because not all weapons, guns included, aim with the right mouse.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Qmass posted:

The Steam Achievement for it makes it way more obvious than the penance:

I also somehow got a psyker achievement without having even rolled a psyker

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The dagger is very good from what I've tried of it, big dodges, good horde clear, big meaty heavy chunk stabs, a quick punch special that opens into a very fast and good looking stab and most importantly if you sprint and hold the heavy attack you move faster than normal max movement speed.

Had a game where we had a powercell for a medicae early but we couldn't find it, I then told the group it was our baby now and we had to look after it and the team carried it all the way to extraction.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine if the workshop comes out one of the first mods will be to tone down the Psyker peril noises and visuals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I had some trouble getting the "Kill a Mutant while using your charge" penance with Preacher. Did it twice and neither triggered, but now I see the steam achievement mentions that the mutant needs to be charging as well?
Anyone done this achievement?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine if the workshop comes out one of the first mods will be to tone down the Psyker peril noises and visuals.

All word so far has been "no mods", sadly. I could use the one that skips all the startup bullshit so I don't have to play DDR with esc and space to get to the login screen.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

seriously so bad. click, click, click, esc, space. :glompoff:

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
This game has reminded me of why I hate pubbies.

Why yes, run off in every direction, avoid damaging the 'boss', avoid doing the objectives, exist to make me suffer.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Popete posted:

I can't believe how bad the weapon stats UI is lol

Isn't this like their 3rd game now? How do they not have weapon stat numbers figured out? There is no explanation for any of the stats and the bars are difficult to read.

I think that's my biggest complaint with the game so far. And they for sure have those numbers available, because somehow they need to balance the game, so there was a conscious choice by someone to use those idiotic bars everywhere.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I don't understand what goes on in the mind of someone who, when defending a lowering elevator, runs off into the room giving up a safe position with teammates, a healing mist and a safe wall at your back to just begin ratfucking a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Catsplosion posted:

This game has reminded me of why I hate pubbies.

Why yes, run off in every direction, avoid damaging the 'boss', avoid doing the objectives, exist to make me suffer.

Fun thing I learned is that the assassination target bosses get their shield absolutely melted in no time at all if everybody just crowds around them and bashes their head in, which makes them very easy finales with friends and they can be very difficult in matchmade games where not everybody knows this.

Also its already been mentioned before but maulers have ultra armored heads and its better to shoot them in the belly, even though it feels wrong.