Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

as a redheaded disabled trans woman get hosed you piece of trash

e: to be clear if twitter goes down (likely) this is a response to the linked tweet not psyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Didn't think it was possible to have a worse president than Sepp but there we go. What a oval office

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 19, 2022

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm here almost entirely due to the World Corrupt podcast and this has thus far been far more of a shitshow than I could have ever hoped.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Holy poo poo lmao

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
How long before it emerges that guy has been paid millions of Qatar bucks lmao

Before or after the tournament kicks off

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I can't believe the World Cup starts tomorrow and I don't give a poo poo. :(

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gasmask posted:

I think they all got $2m in literal brown envelopes back in 2010 op

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

“We’ll triple that if you stand up for an hour and say some really really dumb poo poo”

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I remember reading the Australian bid team was giving out pens and stuffed koalas or something, and being concerned about the ethics of bribery and unprompted gifts etc, while the Qataris were literally going around with brown envelopes stuffed full of unmarked non-sequential bills

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gasmask posted:

He actually lives in Qatar

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

FIFA and the Qatari government should never be forgiven for this.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/seaningle/status/1593887422722576384?s=20&t=ByPapttKwCsUXZPHOubfhQ

Imagine saying this with a straight face when you've just had to front a massive u-turn on beer in stadiums

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1593900518858162178?t=gbllq6UNK4OVNJ93IoYJPA&s=19
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1593900725272072193?t=kwK752inwJaBLmJBXlmzRg&s=19

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The Chair of the foreign affairs committee is asking the foreign office to recommend british fans take a burner phone because of the qatari spyware. Germany has said similar

https://inews.co.uk/news/qatar-world-cup-england-wales-fans-warned-burner-phones-1982315

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
infantino and big ron: just a couple of modern day slaves

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I imagine any hypothetical Qatari goons out there would be very embarrassed right about now.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Frankston posted:

I can't believe the World Cup starts tomorrow and I don't give a poo poo. :(

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
was the jimmy hill saying he was a victim of discrimination because he had a big chin thing real or just a stewart lee bit

because infantino has legit pulled that with his "i was bullied because i had red hair so its cool that qatar stones gays and besides europe did the crusades so shut up"

this world cup is already delivering the lols, and i hope it just gets worse from here

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

was the jimmy hill saying he was a victim of discrimination because he had a big chin thing real or just a stewart lee bit

because infantino has legit pulled that with his "i was bullied because i had red hair so its cool that qatar stones gays and besides europe did the crusades so shut up"

this world cup is already delivering the lols, and i hope it just gets worse from here

Oh it's about to get a lot worse, believe me

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
official petition to the mods to rename infantino the baldest fraud

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm starting to believe that he's deliberately trolling, because that's what I'd do

Just loudly announce that the World Cup is here to show the Qataris a better way of life and a way out from authoritarianism, and that maybe an Israel/Palestine joint World Cup bid would be a great way for them to get over their disagreements

Obviously it would be far beyond the pale to nominate me for the Nobel Peace Prize, but if I did get a nomination from a candidate country I'd naturally accept it gracefully

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What a breathtakingly horrible little oval office shill he is

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

What a breathtakingly horrible little oval office shill he is
Literally from the same Swiss state as Sepp Blatter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm starting to believe that he's deliberately trolling, because that's what I'd do

Just loudly announce that the World Cup is here to show the Qataris a better way of life and a way out from authoritarianism, and that maybe an Israel/Palestine joint World Cup bid would be a great way for them to get over their disagreements

Obviously it would be far beyond the pale to nominate me for the Nobel Peace Prize, but if I did get a nomination from a candidate country I'd naturally accept it gracefully

he's fifa president so being terrible comes with the territory and maybe he's been getting into this

https://www.thenationalnews.com/mena/captagon-crisis/2021/10/25/what-is-captagon-the-drug-sweeping-the-middle-east/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, this is probably going to sound like the stupidest question in the world: how do these people then deposit this money in the bank? Do they all have Swiss bank accounts (I guess since their HQ is in literal Switzerland). I ask because if I get a transfer from abroad (I still have some savings back home) my own bank immediately sends me an email asking me where I got this money and all but asking me if I am a money launderer. I can't imagine asking for a bribe and not getting caught thanks to the nature of banking.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

he's fifa president so being terrible comes with the territory and maybe he's been getting into this

https://www.thenationalnews.com/mena/captagon-crisis/2021/10/25/what-is-captagon-the-drug-sweeping-the-middle-east/

i would also announce that the fitba can cure amphetamine addiction, yes

while wearing a red velvet suit with little world cups embroidered on it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, this is probably going to sound like the stupidest question in the world: how do these people then deposit this money in the bank? Do they all have Swiss bank accounts (I guess since their HQ is in literal Switzerland). I ask because if I get a transfer from abroad (I still have some savings back home) my own bank immediately sends me an email asking me where I got this money and all but asking me if I am a money launderer. I can't imagine asking for a bribe and not getting caught thanks to the nature of banking.

when you're rich enough you have ways to easily launder that amount of money

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dell_Zincht posted:

He actually lives in Qatar

Really? The head of FIFA lives in Doha? Is it only for the duration of the Cup?

Is this a thing like the ICC was based in Dubai for a while? Do the rest of FIFA top brass live there? Or does he have to fly in and out to Switzerland or wherever for their meetings etc.?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Really? The head of FIFA lives in Doha? Is it only for the duration of the Cup?

Is this a thing like the ICC was based in Dubai for a while? Do the rest of FIFA top brass live there? Or does he have to fly in and out to Switzerland or wherever for their meetings etc.?

he was asked about it in the press conference and said that yes he does spend time in qatar but spends time everywhere beacuse fifa president is a citizen of the world

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rich people use rich people banks and they don't blink at a few mil here or there because they're used to rich people throwing millions about.

Also, it's FIFA. They probably have a standard money laundering procedure and a staffer to run it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1593877426244812800?s=20&t=k6KI8lXJPxjnpoUnxPO4EA

What I love the most about rich arab gulf potentates is that fundamentally they truly understand the one thing western officials truly understand, Money and hypocrisy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

When you've been away a few hours, go to look back at the thread and see there's 40+ missed posts and you just know something either hosed and/or hilarious happened :rubby:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh you sweet summer child

How do people from the country that literally hid Nazi gold manage to get away with moving a few million in bribes around? It's a mystery.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
maybe the simplest answer is that the money they're getting from the gulf states isnt illegal at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It only counts as a bribe if you're not allowed to accept gifts that big.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I will never enter Qatar again

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
i just have never enjoyed visiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Gasmask posted:

Infantino? He moved to Qatar earlier this year.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1482483580982939652?s=20&t=JGgkimFc9MuXYJ1gu1CfNQ