Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grand Fromage posted:

The ending of act 1 made me feel like such a piece of poo poo I have not gotten back to the game yet. This is not a criticism. I am enjoying taking my time with it.

Good job making me feel things for a character that I kinda hated.

Me sewing: Ha ha! I can get rid of this dude who sucks! Awesome!
Me reaping: Oh god. What the gently caress have I done.

I'm in the same place. Finished act I and restarted. Wondering if it might not be best after all to let Piero take the fall: he's at peace right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm also taking my time, the end of Act 1 hit me hard (in a VERY good way) and has made me feel a lot more gunshy about pushing the investigation too fast, which I feel is an appropriate mirror to Andreas' own feelings.

Also that dream in Act 2 where you find out he had a boy who died of the plague.... oh man :gonk:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm in the same place. Finished act I and restarted. Wondering if it might not be best after all to let Piero take the fall: he's at peace right?

This is actually where I'm at as well. I finished Act 1 and got partway through the act two investigation, got decision paralysis, and don't want to have to send some I like to their death because they are the one I got information on. Then I restarted, and am facing the exact same problem in Act 1 again.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I felt morally correct in my decisions at the end of Act 1 even if i felt a little bad... maybe I am a monster...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I feel like the best way to play this game is to just plow through it, no regrets. A big part of the game is living with the unforseen consequences of your actions both in the present and in the future, and if you go back and try redo the "what ifs" of the past, you'll never truly move forward.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For sure. I'm not restarting, have to live with the things I've done. I'll definitely be replaying in the future though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, no restart from me, just plans to replay when I'm done.

But I do disagree in one respect:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like the best way to play this game is to just plow through it, no regrets.

Best way to play this game is to just plow through it, MANY regrets!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Paracausal posted:

So my prediction after the first act is edited to protect from moron quoting

endgame spoilers edited to protect from moron quoting.

I'm going to need to compose myself after that, just an absolute triumph of a game, thank you so much rope kid, Obsidian, what an experience.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 19, 2022

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I'm absolutely going to replay this, probably a few times, after my first (slow- I'm just starting act 2) run.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had this exact thought in the middle of giving my testimony and couldn't bring myself to do it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jokymi posted:

I managed it, I think it's the only time so far that my law background has come in handy for anything aside from annoying people.

By which you mean it's the one and only time a Law background *utterly fails* in its purpose.
Although I guess it still kind of ticks off the deacon, and it absolutely enrages the abbot so there is still that.
I myself added insult to injury by ultimately denouncing Otillia because she doesn't really care about dying, neither does the village and she doesn't really seem to bring anything positive to the community ; thus enraging the abbot and foiling his legal shenanigans for NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER besides being a quibbling jackass.

Perfect lawyer, 10/10.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 19, 2022

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/saravonogas/status/1593828413005271040

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I knew where the murder mysteries were going the second the Baron's history book was mentioned. So, like, ten minutes into the game? I don't want to dismiss Pentiment as Name of the Rose fanfiction because it's got other stuff going on, but... I shouldn't be able to figure out a murder mystery and a lot of a game's ideas from having previously read an extremely popular book.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You may want to give yourself more sleuthing credit, since I also read that book (though it has been a while since highschool lit) and my initial predictions around the murder mysteries were incorrect. The two share some motifs and some plot beats common to the time period (ignore that they're 200 years apart, please :)) but I think their theses are quite different. It's entirely possible I've simply forgotten the finer details, though, and am failing to spot the parallels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like the best way to play this game is to just plow through it, no regrets. A big part of the game is living with the unforseen consequences of your actions both in the present and in the future, and if you go back and try redo the "what ifs" of the past, you'll never truly move forward.

I had to rewind the clock for nun seduction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished up Act 2

That uh..... that really could have gone better, Andreas :stonklol:

I ended up accusing Brother Guy since I had the most evidence on him, and the fact he used the Confession to force Father Thomas to be unable to reveal his embezzlement I found despicable.... except I have this underlying fear that he was probably stealing the money to try and help Jewish refugees or something, given the only nice thing he ever said in Act 1 was to show concern for them, and he mentions when in the mob came for him that "I'm on YOUR side!"

No easy answers in this game!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 19, 2022

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Would it have been too hard to be smugly silent about this? The spoiler tags are loving paper thin ya loving twat.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2022

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Better definitely point it out like a moron baby then!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thanks for making a game where the dilemmas are tough enough that I'm legitimately wondering if letting my best friend take the rap for a murder he didn't do is the best possible option op

End game spoilers I was in my "mashing dialogue because I'm super into the story mode" but assuming the second and third murders (Matthias was the first) were done by manipulation, Matilda who has a strong motive and an actual potential murder weapon with signs of recent use is clearly the "best" suspect but obviously a lot of people don't want to accuse her. That said I haven't fully investigated Lucky but the widow is extremely unlikely and there's a witness who can explain why Ferenc has a bloody knife.

Not sure about the third but the innkeepers wife spending an unusual amount of time around the Rathaus kind of pushed me over the edge there.

That said you're pretty clearly not supposed to know the actual answer by design but it's fun to think about.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 19, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thanks for making a game where the dilemmas are tough enough that I'm legitimately wondering if letting my best friend take the rap for a murder he didn't do is the best possible option op

Yeah I started feeling the same way

Act 1 and 2 Stuff

What I really like is how brutal the execution at the end of Act 1 is. A lot of rpgs have similar like, "investigate a crime and accuse someone of it" as a sidequest but because of engine limitations in like, how to depict it and maybe writing choices most of the time the gravity of what's actually happening is removed. In this even if you strongly feel that some guy who's a major dick is guilty, it still leaves the player feeling ambivalent about the actual verdict because through your actions you're just condemning someone to die horribly. I think it also really plays well into the despondency Andreas feels in Act 2

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2022

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Having a lovely time playing Act II (after playing Act I twice to see small variations on the same course of action -- and also because Gamepass saves don't transfer to Steam).

Question:

Is the intent that we can NEVER know who actually committed the murder in Act I or are there clues in the text that actually allow for some theorizing towards a conclusion that Andreas can't reach by the time the Act wraps?

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 19, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished up Act 2

That uh..... that really could have gone better, Andreas :stonklol:

I ended up accusing Brother Guy since I had the most evidence on him, and the fact he used the Confession to force Father Thomas to be unable to reveal his embezzlement I found despicable.... except I have this underlying fear that he was probably stealing the money to try and help Jewish refugees or something, given the only nice thing he ever said in Act 1 was to show concern for them, and he mentions when in the mob came for him that "I'm on YOUR side!"

Yes, but...

He also previously repeatedly expressed nothing but contempt towards the peasants, and I believe he literally said he doesn't give a poo poo about them. I also got Guy killed and felt pretty good about it afterwards, since it seems like he was likely the killer, and also a real piece of poo poo. But maybe not?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

End game spoilers
Not sure about the third but the innkeepers wife spending an unusual amount of time around the Rathaus kind of pushed me over the edge there.

More end game discussion:

I got the impression that the innkeeper's wife was sneaking off to the Rathaus to cheat on his husband. I found concrete proof that he was cheating with the miller at least, and possibly others as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how does the passing of time work in this? can i schlep around town chatting people up as much as i like before going to work/taking my meals?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Finished this at ~15 hours. What a game / experience.

rope kid, please pass along my admiration to the artists, and really everyone who worked on this. The art style is gorgeous and the facial expressions are often funny, sad, and touching. The music is wonderful and so sparse that when it hits, it hits. The dialogue is great and sometimes hilarious - AND I learned a bunch of history to boot!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Oxxidation posted:

how does the passing of time work in this? can i schlep around town chatting people up as much as i like before going to work/taking my meals?
Yes. You're pretty much always warned/allowed to back out before time advances.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Yeah, this is a great game. And I mean great in the sense of "seminal work."

It has a bunch of rough edges, which is a shame, but in terms of games which feel like works of literature this is right up at the top. Beaucoup kudos to everyone involved in the making.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, it's pretty chill. There might be 7 activities to do, and you only have the time for 4. They tell you in advance if a lead takes time.

The day is broken up into work, eat, work, eat. A chapter might be two days. It's not that complicated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
End game big rear end spoilers hmmmmm I wonder why Father Thomas was really hesitant to have Lucky do some digging to repair the church foundation

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Feels Villeneuve posted:

End game big rear end spoilers hmmmmm I wonder why Father Thomas was really hesitant to have Lucky do some digging to repair the church foundation

:vince:

I should have caught that on my playthrough

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Having a lovely time playing Act II (after playing Act I twice to see small variations on the same course of action -- and also because Gamepass saves don't transfer to Steam).

Question:

Is the intent that we can NEVER know who actually committed the murder in Act I or are there clues in the text that actually allow for some theorizing towards a conclusion that Andreas can't reach by the time the Act wraps?

I am pretty sure it's meant to be left ambiguous, at least in terms of being absolutely sure who did the literal, physical murder. You might have a decent case based on the limited investigation you could do with the time you have, and the limited tools of the 16th century, but you still can't really KNOW in a way that I think is meant to leave us feeling kind of crappy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Janissary Hop posted:

I knew where the murder mysteries were going the second the Baron's history book was mentioned. So, like, ten minutes into the game? I don't want to dismiss Pentiment as Name of the Rose fanfiction because it's got other stuff going on, but... I shouldn't be able to figure out a murder mystery and a lot of a game's ideas from having previously read an extremely popular book.
Why

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Greaseman posted:

I'm not sure I've seen my skill at law be helpful even once so far, lmao. It seems to exclusively get people annoyed with you.

I've never seen any piece of media capture the feeling of having an irrelevant university degree so well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm through the second chunk of Act 3 and this is one of the best narrative games I've ever played, rope kid I'm glad you post here because I want to say that you and your team have genuinely outdone yourselves.

Also I feel terrible about everything! Watching Ferenc's death I immediately lost any confidence he's the one that did it. Andreas's death was absolutely wrenching and really felt like a life cut short, I knew there was an Act 3 but I thought it'd be old man Andreas having one last stab at putting the greater mystery with the Thread-Puller to bed! The no manual saving was an inspired choice too, even if it drives me crazy I love you commited to a no-backsies policy and made us live with the consequences of our decisions, especially as you're working from woefully inadequate information based on limited investigations. There's no glory to any of it, just trying to make the best of an awful situation and do the least harm possible and failing miserably

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Greaseman posted:

I'm not sure I've seen my skill at law be helpful even once so far, lmao. It seems to exclusively get people annoyed with you.

Medicine seems to be a helpful, or at least neutral skill that largely just gives you alot of flavour text about herbs but I stopped picking Logic choices a couple of hours in because it just annoys everyone you try it on, it's incredible lol I just wanted my guy to be medieval Sherlock Holmes and I got an annoying know it all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hanging out shooting the poo poo with the doctors in the inn in Act 2 was a delight, because my Andreas didn't have a medical background but DID have a strong interest in nature, loves books (obviously!) and could speak Italian, so everybody just enjoyed a pleasant chat. :unsmith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it is very important for someone to immediately tell me if during act 3 if i pick the flirt background if i can flirt with any women this is very important to me and livelihood

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I didn't see any options for that, but I could've missed something.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

rope kid posted:

Yes. You're pretty much always warned/allowed to back out before time advances.

So there is no real time pressure except for you intentionally progressing the story then? I would like that.

I hear good things and people ITT seem to be enjoying it so I will check it out in a bit.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Unlucky7 posted:

So there is no real time pressure except for you intentionally progressing the story then? I would like that.

I hear good things and people ITT seem to be enjoying it so I will check it out in a bit.

Yeah, the progression of time is clearly defined by activities you decide to engage in and you're told ahead of time you'll be moving the clock forward, so you're free to explore as much as you want between those instances. I was worried when I initially read about time limits and such, but it's entirely up to you how quickly or slowly things move.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I love a lot about this game, but I think my favorite thing is how it plays with the fonts--different styles for different classes, the corrected typos, the dots of ink around emphasized words that show anger or passion. Which sounds lame as hell but it has an incredible effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Eason the Fifth posted:

I love a lot about this game, but I think my favorite thing is how it plays with the fonts--different styles for different classes, the corrected typos, the dots of ink around emphasized words that show anger or passion. Which sounds lame as hell but it has an incredible effect.
Yeah, the fonts are really effective, I really like how they played around with it, like the blotches when someone gets angry. Endgame spoiler: The thread puller note writer reveal with the font was very effective and neat.