Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

HopperUK posted:

I would really love them to patch in a little sparkle effect and sound for shinies. I don't know what the new pokemons' shinies look like and it makes me worry I'm missing them.
100% this
if you send a mon out to autobattle it wont KO shinies which is nice but not knowing one might be there worries me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also how does the auto battle function work for that matter?

Auto-battle works by facing a pokemon and pressing R to send your pokemon charging at them

Your pokemon can take damage during them depending on what it's facing, and type effectiveness is taken into account, which leads to some utterly bizarre instances of your pokemon losing to a hoppip that only knows Splash when actually battled, but since it's Grass/Flying, it can deal with water and grass pokemon surprisingly well (conversely, you can get the jump on higher-leveled pokemon without having to battle them for some nice exp the same way)

Your pokemon won't faint during AB, it'll wear itself out and come back to you

Be warned, if you press R while running at a pokemon, you'll slide before sending out your pokemon, which can lead to bumping into them and triggering a regular battle, and sometimes other pokemon will run into you and start a fight

Also, your pokemon will not attack Shiny pokemon during an Auto-Battle

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
What's the earliest you can get a ditto? I need to trade some croc eggs for cat eggs.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Just got the first gym badge and checked the deli to find I'm now qualified to buy bacon. GOTY

e: and new recipes from the Sandwich Recipe Guy. Seems like this is a whole system

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Auto-battle works by facing a pokemon and pressing R to send your pokemon charging at them

Your pokemon can take damage during them depending on what it's facing, and type effectiveness is taken into account, which leads to some utterly bizarre instances of your pokemon losing to a hoppip that only knows Splash when actually battled, but since it's Grass/Flying, it can deal with water and grass pokemon surprisingly well (conversely, you can get the jump on higher-leveled pokemon without having to battle them for some nice exp the same way)

Your pokemon won't faint during AB, it'll wear itself out and come back to you

Be warned, if you press R while running at a pokemon, you'll slide before sending out your pokemon, which can lead to bumping into them and triggering a regular battle, and sometimes other pokemon will run into you and start a fight

Also, your pokemon will not attack Shiny pokemon during an Auto-Battle

That seems like a hindrance if you’re trying to actually catch said Pokémon though.

Also if Pokémon can fight on their own does that mean you can also catch them on your own without having to battle ala Legends? Or are literally the only mechanics they ported over the open world and a few Hisuian forms?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 19, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Raids own??? I can’t wait to hit postgame lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

Also how many other Legendaries are in this game?

Just play the game or don't holy poo poo this bit of using the thread as google is dumb.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
where do you get evo stones (specifically thunder stones)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just play the game or don't holy poo poo this bit of using the thread as google is dumb.

What part of "I'm not able to play this game yet" do you not understand (also it's not a "bit" I'm just genuinely curious about these things and don't care about spoilers)? Anyway I'm done so nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 19, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone else have any difficulties finding people for a raids? They never seem to fill out for me. I am hard wired so I don't think connection is my issue.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Larry buddy you need to play the games you were doing this in the sonic thread too :v:

Though my own question I need to ask, gonna play with friends tonight and well, How does multiplayer work? Will we need to be at the same pokecenter stop thing? If one of us starts a raid will the other players get a pop up to join no matter where they are or what? I know that you're not locked out of story/doing whatever but I'm not sure how 'friendly' it is in terms of me just letting friends into my game and then that's about the extent of things.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Countblanc posted:

I think I found the one randomly on the ground as a sparkle item. Was an ever stone but probably the same for others.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
found a wild Terastilized flying Meowth last night

I believe I said "eh this shouldn't be too bad" immediately before it one-shot my starter with loving Aerial Ace, a move Meowth learns for some reason

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mesadoram posted:

Anyone else have any difficulties finding people for a raids? They never seem to fill out for me. I am hard wired so I don't think connection is my issue.

i've been playing offline but this was an issue for me (and apparently others) in SwSh, even with good connections as you mentioned. i assume this uses identical infrastructure.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

found a wild Terastilized flying Meowth last night

I believe I said "eh this shouldn't be too bad" immediately before it one-shot my starter with loving Aerial Ace, a move Meowth learns for some reason

MEOWTH THAT'S RIGHT was the last thing your starter heard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 19, 2022

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Woop! Caught my first shiny that I can recall. Too bad I won't be using this capsakid. As excited as I am for a pepper themed pokemon, it's typing won't match well with my grass starter.

If anyone wants to trade, shoot me a PM. Looking for duck or croc starters, or a good nature/tera snom, charcadet or glimmet.

Also dang this game has some great battle music. Love that slappin' bass.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Is there an item that stops a mon from leveling up? Trying to introduce some forced difficulty.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

I just did this too, and it seems like they also load in higher quality models, maybe using the dialogue scene time to transition and/or by removing all the background characters (the pokecenter behind Nemona is empty during the battle).

It might just be because all the early pokemon are so tiny but the wild Pokemon fights really don't show off their models, they're so tiny and buried in the jagged low-res grass. I also feel like this game's lighting and color palette doesn't do them any favors, Pokemon that were vibrant in SwordShield look washed out here.

Game still rules. Just going up the road to the city was like an ideal combination of Arceus' open zones and a more traditional battle system.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, for any bugs they wind up fixing in this game I hope the food eating scenes stay exactly the way they are

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 19, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Is there an item that stops a mon from leveling up? Trying to introduce some forced difficulty.

Give it the Everstone. Or I think pressing B during the evolution animation still works.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh, not talking about evolution. I mean an item that would stop them from leveling up even when they have enough exp to.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Countblanc posted:

Tera raids tend to have them as prizes - see if there's any Electric dens on the map

Three badges unlocks them as items at Delibird stores, and there's spawns for them in Levincia by the sea, and atop a turbine in West Province's Area One

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oh, not talking about evolution. I mean an item that would stop them from leveling up even when they have enough exp to.

Don't put them in the party, don't battle other trainers, don't catch wild Pokemon.

Uh that's about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Goddamn these things. :kimchi:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I heard you can change a Pokemon's Tera-type? Is this true?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo_Crimson posted:

I heard you can change a Pokemon's Tera-type? Is this true?

You need to gather 50 Tera shards of a specific type - you'll get 50 Normal shards if you go to the Treasure Eatery (the place where the swap occurs by talking to the chef) in Medali after beating the gym leader there, and 50 Rock shards by completing the Math academy course

They can also be picked up from beating Tera pokemon and on the ground in the crater

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said, I’m not gonna be able to play this myself until tomorrow but I’ve already got the beginnings of a team in mind based on the posts I’ve seen here:

-Quaxly (I’ve gone with water every time and haven’t regretted it so far)

-Flamigo

-Wattrel

-Nymble (I’m aware its first form isn’t great but Kamen Rider Pokemon is too good to pass up)

-Klawf

Any recommendations/substitutions (for example, is there a decent wild fire type you can find early on)? I also have no shame in using legendaries since I don’t play competitively that much so at least one of those guys is probably getting swapped out later in the game anyway

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 19, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’m a bit confused about these online terra raids. When I walk up to the crystal and select that anyone can join I always seem to be the host? If so where are these other people coming from? When I go to the shop stations I only ever see the option to join a raid by entering a link code so I don’t understand how to just join an open one without a link code

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Good Citizen posted:

I’m a bit confused about these online terra raids. When I walk up to the crystal and select that anyone can join I always seem to be the host? If so where are these other people coming from? When I go to the shop stations I only ever see the option to join a raid by entering a link code so I don’t understand how to just join an open one without a link code

Open your menu and go to the pokeworld or whatever it's called. Above save and settings.

Also just go into every menu at least once in every game you play. Just a helpful tip

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huh, have they actually made new Pokedex entries for returning Pokemon? They've been reusing the Gen 5 ones for a while.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Open your menu and go to the pokeworld or whatever it's called. Above save and settings.

Also just go into every menu at least once in every game you play. Just a helpful tip

Thank you wise pokemaster

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I’m not gonna be able to play this myself until tomorrow but I’ve already got the beginnings of a team in mind based on the posts I’ve seen here:

-Quaxly (I’ve gone with water every time and haven’t regretted it so far)

-Flamigo

-Wattrel

-Nymble (I’m aware its first form isn’t great but Kamen Rider Pokemon is too good to pass up)

-Klawf

Any recommendations/substitutions (for example, is there a decent wild fire type you can find early on)? I also have no shame in using legendaries since I don’t play competitively that much so at least one of those guys is probably getting swapped out later in the game anyway

You can get Houndoom and Charcacet and Litleo very early on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait there's really no indication that a Pokémon is shiny this time beyond its color? They didn't include the sparkle explosion this time??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

You can get Houndoom and Charcacet and Litleo very early on.

Sweet, thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Wait there's really no indication that a Pokémon is shiny this time beyond its color? They didn't include the sparkle explosion this time??

If you're using the autobattle system where your pokemon runs around and kills things, it will refuse to attack a shiny. That's your only other hint.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
im sure they'll patch in some kind of audio/visual cue for shinies in the future

(she said, naively)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
jesus christ

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
About how long does it take after a game's launch for gf to release official art of all the new pokes? Even though I'm probably gonna pass on this game for a few months, I still wanna see the new dogs :kimchi:

(Not just the literal dogs, the other dogs too)

Edit:

Me when I see a new hosed up quasi-malignant beast (I want to be friends with it)

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MoonCrab posted:

About how long does it take after a game's launch for gf to release official art of all the new pokes? Even though I'm probably gonna pass on this game for a few months, I still wanna see the new dogs :kimchi:

(Not just the literal dogs, the other dogs too)

Serebii will be collecting it asap I should think. Listen I took a picture of the mice I don't know what more you want

I wanna see pics of all the shinies.