Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

In my experience, people who get "into" hobbies, REALLY loving get into them and the one thing basically becomes their social group and defining trait. Salsa dancing? They go to salsa clubs 2-3 times a week, festivals, take trips overseas to do it, etc. Rock climbing? Every loving weekend it's "I met with my rock climbing club and we went to ___-san". All of their spending money goes into that one thing and it's what they talk about with people everywhere they go. It's sort of a "I need something to be, so this shall be it" and they hang onto it for dear life. The money investment is a sort of self-forced confirmation that THIS IS MY HOBBY, IT WAS MEANT FOR ME and there's no way out of it once you make an investment that big.

I don't know many people who have a whole slew of medium-interest hobbies that they dabble in, they're either completely bought into one for tens of thousands of dollars for the rest of their lives, or they're just emotionless worker bees who go to the office, go home, drink beer and watch TV and sleep.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My nephew recently quit his hs table tennis club and I'm low-key proud of him for prioritizing homework and chill instead of club club club every day.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

What's the deal with everyone in Japan seeming like they're absolutely loaded?

You're only seeing one facet of their life. Could be that they appear loaded because they throw all the money, ALL OF IT that isn't for rent and food, at their hobby. I know several people who are so obsessed with fashion here that they skip meals and keep themselves barely above starvation just so they can afford some new shirt or pants. They're not models or anything related to the industry, they just like clothes as a hobby.

Basically what everyone here already said, people often go all-in on 1 hobby here.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's fairly common for people to live at home until they marry, so having tons of disposable income is not that weird for young single people. I was in a community band with people who would drop, say, 4 million yen in cash on a gold flute because they were in their 30s and had never paid their own living expenses, so they were sitting on big piles of cash.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gold flute lmao

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Between the gold flute and the skin flute, which one do you think he'll play more?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There’s also the idea that to get into a hobby, you have to PROPERLY invest in gear before getting started. This is how you have salarymen burning their credit cards and summer bonus money on golfing clothing and brand spanking new woods and irons before ever going out to swing a club.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Echoing the whole "if you're into it, you're INTO IT".

If you're not all in, it's not really a hobby. It's just a thing you do. The word "otaku" applies to more than just anime but it certainly doesn't carry any less intensity.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We're doing one final night in Tokyo on our trip - 7 nights Tokyo, 4 nights Osaka, then this one-night to ease the return flight home. I figure I can't go wrong by picking something in Kyobashi or thereabouts - close enough to coming back from the shinkansen, near the Yamanote line so we can easily head to Haneda when our time comes, central enough to get to any other last Tokyo POIs or otherwise. Does that sound sane enough or should I look at some other area?

At this point I'd be OK with a basic nonsmoking room, it'd just be for one night before we biz-class it home. I'll probably spec things out so we can send our luggage from Osaka to the airport, minus a carryon bag for the last nights.

Seems like the "pick something near the Yamanote line and you'll do OK" logic works best, just giving it one final sanity check.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Depending on what time you're flying out, you might be better off picking a hotel based on closeness to alternate transport to the airport. If you're leaving in the morning or evening on a weekday, hauling your luggage through public transit is not going to be fun, and then being close to some airport shuttle bus service will be more convenient. Or even find a hotel by the airport.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If they are getting most of the luggage sent to the airport ahead of time it's not like going a couple of stops down to Hamamatsuchō Station and slowboating it from there on the monorail would be any kind of inconvenience :shrug:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Departure flight is 5:25 PM, I'm guessing the "arrive at check-in two hours prior to international departure" rule is in effect. We'd probably play it safe and arrive HND for 3 PM, unless that's not enough time to pick up luggage. It's basically just enough time to hit up something in the morning, have our last lunch in Japan, one miniature thing to do in the afternoon, and head on down.

We'd just be bringing a smaller size carryon with us, or maybe just a small duffel bag - our stuff left over for the last two nights, allowing for luggage transit time from Osaka to HND. It wouldn't be bigger than a student's backpack. We don't want to schlep luggage over public transport ever, and I praise the fact that someone thought up "we should let people send their luggage through our transportation company if it means they don't take up train space with their awful luggage".

We're doing it from Tokyo to Osaka too since we're stopping in Hakone for a night - I mean, other than time in transit and costs, do we need to be aware of anything when using TA-Q-BIN other than how to write out a waybill in hiragana/katakana?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Haneda is a cool airport, you wouldn't be making a mistake by going early. Good places to get lunch, a viewing deck to watch planes. Not sure if the flight simulators were taken out by covid or not.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tavinos Hamamatsucho is cute and decent. It's a few blocks from Hamamatsucho station but the view of the ferry port is fantastic, and you can take the yurikamome line for the view one last time.
https://hoteltavinos.com/hamamatsucho/

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 14, 2022

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Tavinos Hamamatsucho is cute and decent. It's a few blocks from Hamamatsucho station but the view of the ferry port is fantastic, and you can take the yurikamome line for the view one last time.
https://hoteltavinos.com/hamamatsucho/

Their room designs look like something Patrick Nagel did before he did the Rio album cover, I love it. I might try for something a little bigger but the price and non-smokingness are hard to beat. Thank you for pointing out Hamamatsucho, though, it seems like the perfect location to stage out of for the last night.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Speaking of Haneda and checking baggage. If someone has a flight that departs late in the evening, how early can they arrive at the airport to check their bags? All I see online is that the check in counter opens 2 hours prior to departure but is it possible to check it earlier from your experience?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Depends on your airline. For Haneda international flights, ANA and JAL will take your baggage anytime as long as your flight is on the same day iirc. If you're using a foreign airline that 2 hrs is probably the max. There are luggage storage and coin lockers as paid storage options though.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Tokyo nitpicking: I nickname the station hamatsu-blows-

• the station sucks to get in with luggage because it’s actually designed for transferring the JR. You end up carrying your bags up some set of stairs with no escalators. Twice, once to get into the station, and a smaller set of stairs to the monorail
  • The monorail is actually kind of slow.
  • And the location isn’t that great. Well it’s sort of walkable to the Tokyo tower but that’s like staying next to the ferry on Ellis Island. Well you are close enough to pizza tamaki for world class pizza.
  • Price wise you also have to spend a little bit more money and time getting to that boring station for your day excursion.
  • The monorail is an inaka trap for those flying out of Haneda

If you are flying out of haneda , I rather stay near shimbashi station.
  • The location is much closer to the city center, better metro and JR interlink, very walkable Neigbourhood good restaurants and bar selections
  • you just carry your bags down and there are escalators to the platform and elevators into the station.
  • the limited express keikyu line is a 25 minute ride and a 1000 yen, there’s a train every 35 minutes.
  • there’s a freaking sushi zanmai so you get your 24 hour all tuna sets in the morning or late night
  • if you want budget there are capsule hotels as well

For departure, if you can pre-check in online and have medium luggage, I would leave the hotel room at departure time 2 hours instead of trying to get to the airport before t-2 hours.

If you don’t have bags and already have a boarding pass, heck just get to the gate whenever

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Counterpoint, the monorail is neato.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mono means モノ and rail means レール.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
IDK, the whole "get a nice view of the bay for your last night" sounds mighty appealing. Also it seems like the time difference to get to anywhere is negligible, also also monorail.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hamamatsucho has the monorail and the yurikamome

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's a very scenic ride.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
You can still see the bay when you take the keikyu line. But there’s not much to see because huge sections are reclaimed and redeveloped.

If you want nicer see views go to Yokohama or go to enoshima

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Since it was so cheap im staying in central Ginza this time when I'm in tokyo.

Any of ya'll have recs for really awesome ryokans and minshuku in Tohoku that you've been to? (Fukushima, Miyagi, Akita, Iwate, Yamagata). Headed back there again in late Apr right before golden week.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i booked a flight for 2 weeks in january, visiting family and friends mostly. 2 weeks feels too short but its all i could get this time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
bmobile esim was ez pz

2970円 for 7gb/21 days

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Me and my cousin just booked a trip for January that we’ve been talking about since pre-COVID. Doing about a week in Tokyo, a few days each in Kyoto and Osaka and then a few more days in Tokyo before I fly home and he goes up to Hokkaido for a bit. We just got AirBNBs everywhere, I think the space from having a full apartment rather than a hotel room will be good and it was still way more reasonably priced than similarly located lodging in like NYC or LA.

A few questions:

Does anyone have recommendations for a tattoo-friendly onsen in Hokkaido? I’m not one for hot things but my cousin was really looking forward to one while he’s there.

I wanted to buy tickets to a concert at the Tokyo Garden Theater (Rina Sawayama is playing Tokyo the last weekend we’re there) but it looks like the official website only takes Japanese-issued MC/Visa to buy tickets. I don’t want to wait until we get there to buy them, is there another site that sells official tickets or another way to make payments?

edit: just thought of a few more event related questions:

We’ll be in Tokyo from the 9th to the 14th, are there any local acts doing shows those nights that would be fun to see that might not come to America? Rina isn’t based out of Japan (and I’m seeing Otoboke Beaver in Chicago in February), but seeing local music would be cool, even if it’s just like a bar band or jazz club or something like that.

Also, is there any comedy in Osaka that would be legible to someone who doesn’t speak Japanese? I assumed there wouldn’t be but it doesn’t hurt to ask, maybe there’s a really cool mime or something.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2022

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

DC Murderverse posted:

Also, is there any comedy in Osaka that would be legible to someone who doesn’t speak Japanese? I assumed there wouldn’t be but it doesn’t hurt to ask, maybe there’s a really cool mime or something.

There's ROR if a show intersects when you're in town.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's largely cross-dressing and slapstick anyway, the international language

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

kinda related to murderverse's questions, but are there any websites or accounts that would be good to find out about music events in japan? 10 years ago or something i went to a bunch of hardcore shows in osaka but i only knew about them because a friend of a friend's band was playing. i'd like to see some hardcore/punk/grind stuff while im there if there's anything good on. any wierd ambient/drone/onkyo stuff would be cool too.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone know what the heck is going on with foreign visas and suica/passmo on iPhone? I googled this issue and can see chatter about it going back months but there still appears to be no resolution. Getting a little antsy since my trip is coming up and I don't have any amex or mastercards.

Edit: foreign issued visa credit cards, not travel visas

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 20, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ummm just use a physical visa and physical transit card

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just wore thin fingerless gloves and stuck the Suica card in the glove so I could put the back of my hand against IC readers at station gates or vending machines. More convenient than having to bring my phone up all the time, at least as long as the weather isn't too warm.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can buy a card at the station and put it in your phone case or on a extending clip thing. Easy and makes a cool souvenir. "Oh, you're going to Tokyo? You can use my suica, it still has a little on it."

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just make sure you don't lose it, if your name doesn't match the other stuff in your wallet they won't give it back and you have to explain that to the person who gave it to you. :(

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Virtue posted:

Anyone know what the heck is going on with foreign visas and suica/passmo on iPhone? I googled this issue and can see chatter about it going back months but there still appears to be no resolution. Getting a little antsy since my trip is coming up and I don't have any amex or mastercards.

thanks for this; parents are visiting and we were wondering why my mother couldn't charge her iphone suica while my father could with his apple card (mastercard)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just make sure you don't lose it, if your name doesn't match the other stuff in your wallet they won't give it back and you have to explain that to the person who gave it to you. :(

You don't have to put your name on a card like that. I guess if you are using it for commuting but most people who have a commuter pass aren't going to hand it off to a random tourist to use.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Bofast posted:

I just wore thin fingerless gloves and stuck the Suica card in the glove so I could put the back of my hand against IC readers at station gates or vending machines. More convenient than having to bring my phone up all the time, at least as long as the weather isn't too warm.

This is the gooniest post I've ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wasn’t expecting all of the signage for Black Friday