Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Deptfordx posted:

Studio doesn't take 100% of the take, and doesn't include marketing, some post-production and all the other costs.

Rule of thumb is, a film needs to take in 300% of it's production cost to make money.

The movie studio took a bath on Ghostbusters 2016.

This is one of those things where I can always find reasons to be happy with the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
An acquaintance just got their twitter taken over by some chinese spammer. They claim to have used good passwords from lastpass and received a recovery email right before they lost access, but it doesn't seem like the email itself was ever accessed. So this might be the beginning of chinese spammers just taking over accounts left and right through some flaw in twitter and there's no one left to stop them.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Deptfordx posted:

what is it with this thread and indoor plumbing metaphors i've never used

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
BUT MY IRON TIGHT CONTRACT!!! i yell as i get fired through email with no immediate recourse while my employer remains unpunished

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

Studio doesn't take 100% of the take, and doesn't include marketing, some post-production and all the other costs.

Rule of thumb is, a film needs to take in 300% of it's production cost to make money.

Have you ever heard of "Hollywood accounting" my dude

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Lazy_Liberal posted:

what is it with this thread and indoor plumbing metaphors i've never used

They tried to unstop a flowing pipe and instead it went right into the shitter and the shitter was full.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

and whats it gonna get them? a lawsuit tied up for years in the international court system? meanwhile they're unemployed lol

Any Twitter employees in the EU will be contracted to the local Twitter subsidiary for that country. So while Elon fired half of Twitter Ireland by email, they're still entitled to 30 days notice which is the bare minimum allowed by law for any mass redundancy situation. If they fire people without adhering to national employment regulations they can be punished pretty easily and ordered to comply with the law.

There's also the issue where it seems Twitter has been accepting faked resignations on behalf of people who didn't click the "hardcore" option, and that's just outright criminal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wonder if Elon's idea for Twitter 2.0 is simply to nuke and pave? Twitter is "clearly" overdone and inefficient says Elon, better to just move fast and start over from scratch to make it cooler, hipper, and Elon's without having to worry about what was built by those stupid smelly people who said no in increasingly louder and exasperated voices to Elon and hurt his ego. The trick is getting it done before Old Twitter falls over, and who cares about that? :manning:

Completely ignoring the FTC, SEC, various laws, and everyone who'd advertise bailing in the interim because they'll all come to Elon's Twitter 2.0 because he is the cool billionaire innovator. :smuggo:

Woolie Wool posted:

Lowtax (or Jeffrey of YOSPOS, for that matter) couldn't run Twitter either, admining a webforum for a self-selecting group of nerds based on '90s technology is a much easier job than doing the same for a gigantic public utility to which the largest corporations in the world entrust their brands, that is also a political battleground of a scale and intensity that makes the Great Ukraine Thread War look like a polite dinner party.

Twitter's much worse off; SA's built in a way you can probably park any random web dev in front of the source code and they'll muddle through okay (if perhaps get very angry at it). Twitter is apparently entirely bespoke and has to train in their staff. The people who do that training are gone. The knowledge involved in that training could be anywhere, and possibly exclusively in the heads of the people who conducted that training (and are now gone).

Twitter's internal systems potentially might as well be a black box to whoever's left, or brought in. Commands, documents, backups. All there, all unknown to a layman brought in by Elon.

All the speculation of "they can get it up again" also relies on people knowing what they're doing in a sane company. Twitter under Elon when it falls over is probably gonna him yelling at foreign contractors on visas to Make Twitter Work Again, and firing 10% of them as a warning to the rest for not typing at a high enough WPM. And telling the rest they're next if Twitter's not back online in an hour (when it could probably take like a well-coordinated day for people who know what they're doing to stage Twitter's full setup cold).

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
And the employment regulators and tribunals in the EU member countries have broad authority to administratively gently caress companies up when they do that poo poo. They can hear evidence and levy fines and order reinstatement before Twitter has the opportunity to appeal to a court.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait

Did that guy just try to claim that Ghostbusters 2016 didn't lose a fuckton of money? lol It absolutely lost a shitload, wtf

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you ever heard of "Hollywood accounting" my dude

That's a slightly different phenomenon referring to how studios get creative in reporting their profits for tax purposes, avoiding paying royalties etc. That's why box office figures are used by sources like Wikipedia to report on how much money a movie made rather than what the studio says. But it also means that it's hard to know how much of that money is profit - you can't just subtract the budget from the box office to get the real number because the stated budget of a film is also subject to creative accounting. Most importantly it doesn't include marketing, which nowadays is a huge chunk of cash. The general rule of thumb I've heard is marketing is at least the cost of the stated budget, so you double the budget to get the true amount of money spent. Other people say two or three times.

EDIT: I did maths bad

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 19, 2022

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
His green shirt is some Zelenskyy thing because hes simple.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

learnincurve posted:

I'm getting "this tweet is unavailable on click through"

Tag yourself.

I'm the Wish version of Sylvester Stalone who's gonna spend Christmas away from his family and will probably die of a heart attack before he hits 50 because Elon Musk is a dumb stupid piece of dog poo poo.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Twitter is one iOS/Android update away from death

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Hes using a double.

The real gross Elon is in the background

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Imagine being 50 and wanting to be hardcore

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It was a spoonerism. He actually wanted to be a cardwhore. Getting way into Bridge and various Solitaire variants.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b88US-6ts

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

"i told u i was hardcore"

my last words in the team slack as I pass away form a stress and age induced brain aneurism

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I once worked for a company where they literally had one guy that handled the software for stuff like payroll, customer invoices, etc. He'd been there for like 30 years, it was his first job straight out of college, and he'd tweaked and changed the code around enough that it was pretty much written by him from scratch by the time I got there.

Near the end of my time there, he had to go get eye surgery done and was projected to be out for at least a couple of months while he recuperated, and the people in accounting were freaking the gently caress out over it, because in all that time they had not once thought to have him document anything or to have someone shadow him so they could back him up in precisely these types of circumstances. Then, during his recovery, he somehow hosed his other eye up (sort of like someone favoring their bad knee too much to where they wind up blowing out their good knee), and was going to be out for a few more weeks recovering from that as well. You'd have thought the end of the world was imminent, based on how the accounting dept. heads reacted to the news.

Eventually they managed to calm down enough to hire a contractor to come in and start going through his custom scripts and whatnot, so they could start getting a handle on things before poo poo went completely downhill (the guy with eye problems was able to help him over the phone with some stuff, though technically he shouldn't have done that since he was on medical leave). I can't even imagine what it'd be like coming fresh off the street into Twitter under Musk and being expected to fix poo poo without even being able to talk to the people that scripted it or whatever, while some South African billionaire idiot is demanding to see how much code you wrote or whatever.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Woolie Wool posted:

Lowtax (or Jeffrey of YOSPOS, for that matter) couldn't run Twitter either, admining a webforum for a self-selecting group of nerds based on '90s technology is a much easier job than doing the same for a gigantic public utility to which the largest corporations in the world entrust their brands, that is also a political battleground of a scale and intensity that makes the Great Ukraine Thread War look like a polite dinner party.

Anyone with the sense to retain and listen to senior staff could run Twitter. You'd have to be a colossal dumbshit to gently caress up as badly as Elon is doing; Lowtax might be able to pull off something close, but Jeffrey or literally any poster ITT could at least keep twitter chuggin' along its previous trajectory.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Anyone with the sense to retain and listen to senior staff could run Twitter. You'd have to be a colossal dumbshit to gently caress up as badly as Elon is doing; Lowtax might be able to pull off something close, but Jeffrey or literally any poster ITT could at least keep twitter chuggin' along its previous trajectory.

Hell yeah, I could do it. I'd be the cool new manager who's just like "keep on keepin' on (also you can delete Spaces, that poo poo's dumb)"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Every day he wakes up and spends bing binging Twitter into a dumpster fire is amazing for its waste. He has all the money he’ll ever want but only a finite amount of time. Why waste a single minute of it on this nonsense?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think if something happens where twitter actually goes down (like twitter being overloaded during the world cup) they might have a very hard time actually getting it started up again. The fact that Elon is killing all of the stuff that is meant to protect Twitter from having a catastrophic failure makes this even more likely.

Feature development is also going to be very risky. If somebody screws something up, recovering from it is going to be very difficult.

Also, I imagine they aren't going to be keeping up with the security updates, which will make it very vulnerable to security breaches.

I think it will come back up as a knockoff of itself getting its money and its technical "expertise" from the right-wing griftosphere. It doesn't need a profitable business model or competent leadership when it's being funded by billionaire oligarchs to spread the professional-managerial class conspiracy theory and convince chuds that schoolteachers, scientists, journalists, artists, and queer people are the ruling class/are also Jewish cyborg space lizards.

E: to clarify it would be running on off-the-shelf poo poo or some total garbage infra cobbled together by scratch, it would have virtually nothing in common with the original system

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 19, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He wants to be, but will his mamá let him? :ohdear:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How did musk get away with calling the cave diver a pedo again?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sininu posted:

"It was just a joke, bro."

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

I believe he wants to be considered funny, and liked by people. But clearly he doesn't get it, he's just bad at social interaction.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sininu posted:

The cave diver retained the services of Linn Wood, who is so deranged that he’s likely not competent as a lawyer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sininu posted:

quote:

One of the smartest moves by Elon Musk's defence was in introducing the concept of "JDart", an acronym to describe their client's conduct on Twitter in relation to the infamous "pedo guy" tweet.

A JDart, lawyer Alex Spiro explained, meant: a Joke that was badly received, therefore Deleted, with an Apology and then Responsive Tweets to move on from the matter. JDart.

It's clumsy, for sure, but it meant Mr Spiro could offer the jury here a degree of structure around what before seemed senseless: Mr Musk may have acted foolishly with the J, but he soon "darted", which is how you know he wasn't being serious about the allegation.

Expect the JDart "standard" to be applied again and again, not just in libel trials, but in any arena where social media behaviour is under scrutiny - a parachute for anyone who, in the heat of the moment, says something idiotic online.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Isn't that literally Schrodinger's Douchebag? Elon even steals his internet terms lol

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don’t get the whole whiteboard thing. Nobody was ever alledging that the Twitter infrastructure was bad. All of its “problems” were around revenue and content moderation which is not an infrastructure engineering issue, yet he’s acting like he needs better engineering to ‘fix’ Twitter. How can you spend 44billion on a company and have no idea how it works or what it does. lol.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

davecrazy posted:

I don’t get the whole whiteboard thing. Nobody was ever alledging that the Twitter infrastructure was bad. All of its “problems” were around revenue and content moderation which is not an infrastructure engineering issue, yet he’s acting like he needs better engineering to ‘fix’ Twitter. How can you spend 44billion on a company and have no idea how it works or what it does. lol.

I think hes trying to teach people who know nothing about what they are going to try and do.

I imagine more so it was them trying to teach each other in front of Elon so he saw them.

Elon doing the when people don't know something and do the comedy conversation routine so the other person tells you what you needed you know.

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 19, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

davecrazy posted:

Because he has built his entire persona around being perceived as an erratic genius tech guy who codes and engineers poo poo.
When he's just an enormously inflated used car salesman.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

I think it will come back up as a knockoff of itself getting its money and its technical "expertise" from the right-wing griftosphere. It doesn't need a profitable business model or competent leadership when it's being funded by billionaire oligarchs to spread the professional-managerial class conspiracy theory and convince chuds that schoolteachers, scientists, journalists, artists, and queer people are the ruling class/are also Jewish cyborg space lizards.

The space lizards eat children hence why cps is most compromised goverment agency!

Twitter never had a profitable business model or good leadership. It was built on the SV venture capital model of growth over all else.

Same with youtube it loses money but has other uses.

Twitter snared a group of persons but one of those was elon who got soo loving addicted to it. I still think he didnt want to buy it for reals and just was talking big.

Whoever posted the DIY search engines thank you! I kinda miss the old web 1.0 experience.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mike Patton was exactly what I needed this morning

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

davecrazy posted:

Elon 100% bought into his stans delusions that he's the greatest mind of our time and humanity's greatest benefactor when in fact he's a dumb rich egomaniac racist bitch who thinks his ex is essentially Cortana from Halo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Every day he wakes up and spends bing binging Twitter into a dumpster fire is amazing for its waste. He has all the money he’ll ever want but only a finite amount of time. Why waste a single minute of it on this nonsense?

He's probably convinced he'll be able to upload his brainwaves to a robot body and live forever, as long as the Machine God knows he worked to make the singularity happen or some poo poo.

I don't know, I'm not a Technoking raving lunatic.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

javi posted:

I believe he wants to be considered funny, and liked by people. But clearly he doesn't get it, he's just bad at social interaction.

That's the best part! There is no amount of money in the world to convince people to like him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

davecrazy posted:

i love that he spent 44 billion dollars and is apparently only now thought to google "how does a website work or make money"