Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 25 - I Let You Down, Golem Tiger

POCKET CIRCUIT POCKET CIRCUIT POCKET CIRCUIT

I dimly remember loving the loop the loop races the most. Partly because then brain dead "MAXIMUM CLIMB GOOD" car design seemed to work out, instead of needing to screw around with my failure montage of "How fast is not so fast you commit suicide?"

But also because loops on a race track is cooler than no loops on a race track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 26 - Golly!

Kiryu walks into his office and puts Tachibana's HR guy on speed dial

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 27 - Huzzah!

Speaking of minigames I REALLY don't want to interact with

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 27 - Huzzah!

Speaking of minigames I REALLY don't want to interact with

That's like in the top three of the worst minigames in this game.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That is indeed the worst minigame. At least in other stuff there's some entertainment value from Kiryu being completely over-the-top about it. Kiryu answers a phone with some real powerful energy.

Yakuza is so weirdly in love with these giant underground illegal operations that draw in so many people there's no way they're still a secret.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

All I remember about that mini game is the forced one is rigged.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

disposablewords posted:

That is indeed the worst minigame. At least in other stuff there's some entertainment value from Kiryu being completely over-the-top about it. Kiryu answers a phone with some real powerful energy.

There's still Mahjong, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 28 - That Was A Lot

Things are uh, escalating quick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In a game where Kiryu exists Kuze somehow manages to be the most intense person. That is some true dedication.
Also, hey, Makoto survived her off screen murder attempt! Good for her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 29 - There Are, Indeed, Squares

God drat this episode gets heavy :smith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good thing you brought that guy some absorbent paper.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How'd the chili turn out, Dan?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Neurion posted:

How'd the chili turn out, Dan?

Extremely good, also in this household chili has beans in it and I'll fight anyone about it :colbert:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 30 - Conspicuous Consumption

Look, Makoto can wait for a bit, we have to help a statue man not piss himself

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Danaru posted:

Extremely good, also in this household chili has beans in it and I'll fight anyone about it :colbert:

Eating chili gets beans and should be chunky. If it wouldn't taste good without the meat, you've done it wrong.

Topping chili gets no beans and must be nearly a slurry in consistancy. You can't have a good chilidog or chili cheese fries with big ol horking beans all over the place.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

In my house we eat chili with pasta, and it's basically treated like a hearty meat sauce

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

pointlessone posted:

You can't have a good chilidog or chili cheese fries with big ol horking beans all over the place.

Not with that attitude you can't.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 31 - Sunshine Fever!

I love Cabaret Czar, but I can't pretend I'm good at it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Generous of you to randomly give those two customers a million yen worth of gifts for no real reason.
(If you use the party time, you won't be able to extent the session so the first option is giving them an expensive gift. That is not really useful for those poor guys.)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Majima's business game is so much more fun than Kiryu's, they put a ton of effort into it. Kiryu's feels just shy of literal spreadsheeting most of the time. Plus waiting down timers.

Also I'm pretty sure Majima meant Yuki was "low-key" in personality, just being very subdued and nervous for a star girl, and not like saying she's bland-looking.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The time pressure in the cabaret game is for the most part non-existent, you can take as long as you want assigning hostesses because the timer stops when menuing with very few exceptions (the towel, glass, etc assistance prompts being one).

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
BOOF MORE MONEY

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 32 - Rocket Nuts Groove

This game's soundtrack is so god drat good

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 33 - Our Dance Hole

Fine I'll boof some drat money :mad:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The OJ Simpson trial was really when DNA testing entered the public consciousness I think, and that was 1994. But Japanese police don't really care about silly details like getting the actual perp as long as they close the case yes. Though in this case it'd be more like victim identification, and I'd figure they wouldn't particularly care about a random dead woman. At least you got a gay towel.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 33 - Our Dance Hole

Fine I'll boof some drat money :mad:

Yaaaaaaay :neckbeard:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 34 - Stuck In The Story Zone

Some crazy poo poo is going down now, there's clearly a way bigger conspirIS THAT A PHONE?! THAT'S MOBILE?!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Portable Telephones will never catch on, why would I need to carry a phone around when I can just use a phonebox.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 35 - Darth Maul

Nishitani, please

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I feel bad that I laughed at Grace's pun at the end of the video there. That one just hit me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 36 - They've Got No Polygons

I gotta admit, things could be going better.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Look, if Kiryu waited until nobody was trying to kill him, he'd never get to relax with some bowling, karaoke, dancing, slot cars, mahjong...

Keeping score in bowling isn't actually complicated, it's just unintuitive. You get two shots on your turn, and are obviously trying to knock down all 10 pins. If you don't get them all in those two shots, then you just write down what you got and add them together - that's your score for that turn. So hit 7 and then 2 and your score is 9. Just keep adding them up across turns like this.

The spare is when you hit some (or none) on the first hit and then all the rest on the second, in which case your score for that turn is 10 plus whatever your next shot is. (Not turn. Shot.) So say you pick up the spare on your first turn, then you wait until your first shot of your second turn to add up your first turn's score. Get the spare and then hit 5? Your score for the first turn is 15. Gutter ball it instead? 10.

A strike is when you get all 10 on the first hit, and that is equal to 10 plus your next two shots. So get a strike, then 5, then 2, then your score for the strike is 17, then after your second turn it becomes 24 (because both second turn's hits were worth 7). Gutter ball it both times on your next turn? That strike's just a 10.

The final thing to keep in mind is that the bonus points for spares and strikes are wholly based on the literal number of pins you hit for those counted extra shots. You don't just keep adding on the bonuses from any later spares and strikes. So three strikes in a row will make the first turn worth 30 because the next two shots were exactly 10 each. A perfect game is 300 points over 10 turns, since if you roll a strike on your last turn you get two extra shots to determine the strike's value. Strike each of those? There you go, 30 on the 10th turn.

My high school's phys. ed. class had an annual unit on bowling where we went for like a week out to the local bowling alley and played a bunch. I was the only one in my friend group who learned the scoring and it never left me. This knowledge has been slightly more useful than my calculus class.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh, that's really not that complicated. It's a bit less complex than the entirety if calculus, I guess.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I could've picked from several different classes I took, really, but calc was the first to pop into my head. But I am basically a slug and hated my PE classes and teachers so it surprises me that fuckin' bowling of all things is something that's stuck with me and been even minimally relevant.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Catching back up after a trip, and I wanted you to know I got the Captain Crunch thing and appreciated it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 37 - Reina, I Need More Furniture

Beast mode rules

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 38 - Dream Machine

I uh, might have drank a bit too much on an empty stomach before we recorded this one, so I might be a bit less coherent

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Getting those gay-rear end gears from the Dream Machine used up all your luck.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 39 - Four-Five-Six

Oh hey this one actually clicked pretty easily

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 40 - A Dick Move

Tachibana maybe you wanna chill a bit :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 38 - Dream Machine

I uh, might have drank a bit too much on an empty stomach before we recorded this one, so I might be a bit less coherent

Getting odd or even wrong five times in a row is quite impressive in it's own way.
The way the Yakuza games teached me Oicho-Kabu is quite simple, actually. It's just blackjack where the highest number is 9 rather than 21 and busting resets it down, so 19 is the same as 9, or 29. Plus the dealer rotates. Also there are some special hands, which are instant win.

Koi-Koi is some obtuse poo poo where you pick some random card combinations, where some of them give points and you want to have more than the opponent. Also the winnings are determined by the difference of points. So if you bet 10 dollars and the opponent guts you with a 50 point difference, you suddenly owe him 500 dollar. Not knowing how much you can actually lose that round sounds like a express lane to massive gambling debt.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 19, 2022