Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yakuza Zero! The series started on PS2 with Yakuza, which had an all star voice cast like Mark Hamill and a bunch of other famous people I don't know because I'm a cultural barbarian. The sequel, Yakuza 2, had no english dub because apparently the first game didn't sell well which makes no loving sense to me that game was loving amazing.

Apparently the second game sold even worse! Because they put absolutely no loving marketing behind them I assume, I sure didn't know they existed until Yakuza 0 came out (which DID have a strong marketing boost! Turns out if you tell people about your game, they'll know your game exists!)

One of the strong points of Yakuza 0 is that despite the length of the series, it's the BEST possible entry point, better than the first game. There are several references and foreshadowings to future events, but frankly that just makes it stronger in my eyes.

Yakuza is about a bunch of crime boys who punch rude people. Kazuma Kiryu himself is the platonic ideal of "Heart of Gold, Dumb of rear end". Alright I'm loving sick of writing this OP here are the episodes seriously OPs are the worst part of doing an LP. I have it set up so I can just poo poo out episodes onto the internet without having to edit them specifically because I don't have the attention span for this also the audio might not be optimal I tried really hard but like OBS updated and suddenly we sounded kinda weird but not in a way that I can put into words and Grace didn't even notice but he never does anyway here's episode one

Oh actually before I go, Phoenix Wright is a canon character in the Yakuza universe

:siren:Episodes:siren:

Playlist

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 1 - It's The 80s!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 2 - Get My Groove Back
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 3 - You And I Are Going To Have Words
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 4 - Take A Seat
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 5 - Subotenuhigeukiro
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 6 - Bear On Bearoids
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 7 - Charles And Or Cheese
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 8 - Groovy! It's On!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 9 - ACAB
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 10 - Make Me Forget About This
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 11 - Nouveau Riche
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 12 - The Customer Is King
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 13 - Mister Eyepatch Manager
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 14 - Baseball!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 15 - I Hate What We've Done Here Tonight
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 16 - Sato-san
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 17 - My Shoes
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 18 - Munancho!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 19 - A Dan Situation
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 20 - Hey, Man
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 21 - He's Still Breathing, Or Whatever
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 22 - I Apologize
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 23 - The Best Shithole
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 24 - You Forgot Something
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 25 - I Let You Down, Golem Tiger
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 26 - Golly!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 27 - Huzzah!
Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 28 - That Was A Lot

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hell yeah let's goooo

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
oh hell yeah

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

gently caress yes. Y0 is so long but I am glad to see and hear Dan gently caress around and make other people find out in 80s Japan.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
this isnt MGS4 _OR_ FFX-2 :|

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm gonna boof this whole lp

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

VSOKUL girl posted:

this isnt MGS4 _OR_ FFX-2 :|

Had the same vaguely disappointed impulse, but this is gonna rule anyway.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Heart of Gold, Dumb of rear end, Punches Rude people. Sounds like an excellent fit for a Dan & Grace LP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Beast Style is going to be great, because why would Dan settle for hitting people with a bike when he could hit them with a motorcycle?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We were planning to go right into FFX-2, but after beating Penance I was a little JRPG'd out, so we're making a detour :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I mean, Yakuza is practically a JRPG with a beat-em-up combat system, so close enough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 2 - Get My Groove Back

I guarantee that I will always somehow dodge the wrong direction :negative:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kamurucho is such a great design for an open world. And the absolute insanity of random side quests and Japanese weirdness in general make it phenomenal.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

cant cook creole bream posted:

Kamurucho is such a great design for an open world. And the absolute insanity of random side quests and Japanese weirdness in general make it phenomenal.

It's weird because they reuse Kamurocho so heavily that it'd normally feel pretty lazy, even if the particulars change some, and you're constantly retreading the same territory even within a single game. But at the same time it's kind of like learning a place you just moved to, slowly settling in and experiencing it, and then you get to see it evolve over the years. It's surprisingly homey for a sin-soaked, crime-ridden nexus of the Tokyo nightlife.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Fun fact: Yakuza having headquarters with signs out front announcing them out front was a real thing until surprisingly recently:
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220128/p2a/00m/0na/037000c

quote:

Previously the Kudo-kai had a four-story headquarters in Kitakyushu's Kokurakita Ward, which stood as a symbol of its existence. The third floor had a large hall of over 100 tatami mats in size. In December each year, gatherings to mark the "commencement of activities" were held, attended by gang members and the head of the yakuza group, 75-year-old Satoru Nomura. (Nomura has since been convicted of murder and other charges and is appealing a death sentence that was handed down on him by the Fukuoka District Court.) However, the Kudo-kai building was demolished in February 2020 after restrictions were placed on its use. In October 2021, demolishment began on the headquarters of Nomura's predecessor organization, the Tanaka-gumi, and the organization's Konyamachi office, both in the city of Kitakyushu.

The article notes that the changes in this particular group's meeting grounds are due to a 2012 law, and also notes that only the particular group they're talking about is designated by that law presently, which probably means there are still other yakuza groups that have managed to appear slightly more benign and maintain their own quasi-corporate HQs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Finding a platinum plate as a random drop right at the start is absurdly lucky.
But this is 80s Tokyo. There's so much money comming in and out that you will barely feel the difference of that.
Conversely, I recently went through Judgement and was pretty much always so poor that I didn't even have money for health items.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Akratic Method posted:

Fun fact: Yakuza having headquarters with signs out front announcing them out front was a real thing until surprisingly recently:
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220128/p2a/00m/0na/037000c

The article notes that the changes in this particular group's meeting grounds are due to a 2012 law, and also notes that only the particular group they're talking about is designated by that law presently, which probably means there are still other yakuza groups that have managed to appear slightly more benign and maintain their own quasi-corporate HQs.

I love that every time someone plays a Yakuza game, I end up learning some new and interesting facts about Japan.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 3 - You And I Are Going To Have Words

Seriously this game makes me so hungry

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I want like 4 episodes of you at the batting cage. Yakuza batting is so satisfying

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

I want like 4 episodes of you at the batting cage. Yakuza batting is so satisfying

I hated Yakuza batting until someone told me the secret.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yakuza batting is one of those things I could never really grok, it seems particularly obtuse compared to the other minigames.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Yakuza batting is one of those things I could never really grok, it seems particularly obtuse compared to the other minigames.

I feel it's oddly calming. Just go to the right square and press the button at the right time. Just like in real life, baseball is just streamlined karaoke.
At least I prefer it a lot to mahjong.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 3, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mahjong and Shogi I never managed to figure out (yes I know how to play chess but there's enough different poo poo that it sends my brain spinning)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Mahjong isn't really all that hard with regards to rules and a strategic algorithm. You aren't really doing active blunders there. The problem is that it's a four player game based on luck, where the game defines the difficulty by how "lucky" the opponents are. Also, those games go on and on until one player has a total loss, which might take forever depending how even the NPCs "luck" is.

This LP convinced me to buy lost judgement. More Kamurocho for me please!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 3, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

LPs of 0 are always a must watch

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

cant cook creole bream posted:

Conversely, I recently went through Judgement and was pretty much always so poor that I didn't even have money for health items.
How did you even manage that? If you do the side cases, you'll be walking around with a million yen or more by the third chapter or so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DMorbid posted:

How did you even manage that? If you do the side cases, you'll be walking around with a million yen or more by the third chapter or so.

I may have spent everything on unnecessary Quickstarter project and top shelf champagne.
And drone parts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 4 - Take A Seat

I want to blame the cider for getting so intense, but honestly this game makes me just as intense while sober

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yes, Tachibana is correct about sunflowers: they're technically lots of little flowers all together.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

How blind are you on this game, Dan? Grace mentioned something about a test file that apparently got past Kuze, but you were pretty good at feigning surprise and disappointment in some of the stuff that happened up through his fight.

Also you handled Kuze pretty well. Or maybe I'm just bad. But he was definitely a skill check for me that I needed a couple tries to get past. Had to go from just kind of Kiryu-ing through most fights to actually paying attention.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

disposablewords posted:

How blind are you on this game, Dan? Grace mentioned something about a test file that apparently got past Kuze, but you were pretty good at feigning surprise and disappointment in some of the stuff that happened up through his fight.

Also you handled Kuze pretty well. Or maybe I'm just bad. But he was definitely a skill check for me that I needed a couple tries to get past. Had to go from just kind of Kiryu-ing through most fights to actually paying attention.

The important thing is now Dan can treat this as proof it was a good idea to eat all the inventory sushi early.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You secretly want to be Mr. Shakedown.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Section Z posted:

The important thing is now Dan can treat this as proof it was a good idea to eat all the inventory sushi early.

Yakuza food always looks amazing, even stuff I know I wouldn't actually like. The impulse to consume it immediately is a right and good one to obey.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh, yeah I should have mentioned it earlier, I've played through 0 and 1/Kiwami, and like halfway through 2 but never finished it because halfway through I started hyperfixating on something else. Grace hasn't played any of them so this is all brand new to him.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
From what I've heard it was a bit more than just transcendent head, and more like a long term relationship of some sort. Regardless, the guy playing Kuze being a trans right supporter is something you just love to see.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I love how Kiryu almost falls out of the window after dropkicking that one guy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 5 - Subotenuhigeukiro

Sure we might be in some trouble with being the suspect of a murder, exiled from the Yakuza, and our crime dad is going to be usurped, but someone in Kamurocho has a mild problem so

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danaru posted:

but someone in Kamurocho has a mild problem so

Good alternate thread title (for every Yakuza game), too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Personal tip: Always go for the funny options. All it does is make your reward a bit worse. Kiryu actually goes out and fetches a confused grocery clerk if you chose so. And if you take the knife he places it down in a cold stare and exclaims that this is what you use to erase a person.
I'm actually quite impressed that they managed to translate weird Japanese filming jargon in a way which still made those options work. Do these words actually mean any of that in English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think there is only one time it matters, where they are showing you prize boxes to pick from. Which I thankfully knew about ahead of time thanks to hearing someone say essentially "What the gently caress it actually matters this time!?"

When the rewards are a T-shirt, or the encounter finder which will let Dan hunt down mister shakedown to punch him (Or maybe it was the substory finder? Some kinda detector). And before that a T-shirt and silent shoes that reduce encounters. But why would anyone want those?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 5, 2022