Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

opengl posted:

It's a crime they never put the 2.3 MZR into the Miata of the time. It would have been such a riot.

Allegedly it was too tall to fit, but it's a shame no one ever tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Speaking of fords, does this count as a hot hatch? And why do I want it so much

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3vJxZpWm/2014-ford-transit-connect-xlt
:vince:
I was legit considering a Transit Connect for a while but wanted more performance, so yeah. Ultimate boxy car practicality plus go fast engine fits the hot hatch ethos enough to appeal to the same folks I imagine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheBacon posted:

This is tremendous.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
(under breath)
we're not playing out enough to get a tour van
we're not playing out enough to get a tour van
we're not...

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Went to the dealership yesterday to check in about the headlight for my gti that's supposed to be replaced again under warranty. Originally the part was ordered in May, still no eta as to when any will be coming.

Afterwards I wandered down to the Subaru dealer, BRZ's can't be ordered right now and 86's are 18-24 months out. Oh well.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Went to the dealership yesterday to check in about the headlight for my gti that's supposed to be replaced again under warranty. Originally the part was ordered in May, still no eta as to when any will be coming.

Afterwards I wandered down to the Subaru dealer, BRZ's can't be ordered right now and 86's are 18-24 months out. Oh well.

Until just a month or so ago dealers had empty lots. I went to a Honda dealer that had 5 new cars total.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Swapped the OEM FiST 17” wheels for these MSW 16’s. The factory wheels had summer-only 215/45/17 tires on them and with winter coming up that wasn’t going to cut the mustard, as well as the tires being slightly too tall. I went with 205/45/16 Conti DWS06 Plus since I have them on the S60R and I really like them for an all-season.

This package weighed in at 7.5lb less per corner than the ones I took off, so 30lb of weight savings in addition to some better cold-weather grip.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My only regret with my FiST is that I got it in magnetic instead of white. Looks great!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How did the 215s drive? Any rubbing? I wonder what the extra footprint would do for traction

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How did the 215s drive? Any rubbing? I wonder what the extra footprint would do for traction

They seemed ok but I hadn’t pushed it too hard; I just bought it on Saturday. I might pop them back on in the spring and see.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The stock FiST comes with 205 40 R17s is why I ask. I’ve never found em lacking in traction, but I gotta wonder if wider tires might make em stick on the higher torque low gears.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

From the list of "known flaws" it sounds like a hack job and should be avoided unless it could be had cheap.

Even then, trying to figure out the issues behind someone else's engine swap could be a nightmare

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I ran 215/40R17 on mine (Bridgestone RE003 was the tyre, not sure if you have them in the US), car is stock ride height, no issues whatsoever with rubbing and the extra sidewall took some harshness out of the ride when hitting tiny bumps, tar snakes etc.

Every tyre manufacturer’s actual tyre sizes vary though, regardless of what the size is stated as, so the same size tyres from different manufacturers can have quite different carcass width etc.

I now run 205/45R17 Michelins and they have rubbed once in a hard braking left hand hairpin.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
215/45R17 PS4S definitely rub in weird off-axis situations or if something like road construction results in me bonking the bump stops but not normal driving.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got to do a little off-roading at 85mph earlier today in the GTI when some gently caress stick decided they wanted into the left lane on the interstate while I was right next to them. Was able to keep it smooth and got back on to the road without any damage, but it was as close a call as I've ever had.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Got the call yesterday from my toyota dealer (while I was on a chairlift no less) and my gr Corolla has been manufactured! White exterior black interior core, performance cold weather and tech pack.

Should be here by early Jan!

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
2 dealers w/ GR Corolla allocations initiated contact w/ me in the last 24 hours.
- One dealer wants 37.5% over MSRP. Good luck to them w/ that.
- One dealer will sell at MSRP, but won't take deposit and say it's "first come, first serve" when it arrives on the truck. Thanks for calling I guess?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Got the call yesterday from my toyota dealer (while I was on a chairlift no less) and my gr Corolla has been manufactured! White exterior black interior core, performance cold weather and tech pack.

Should be here by early Jan!

Sweet! Whereabouts are you regionally? I'm waiting for one from Ohio, so far only two dealerships in the whole state have an allocation (of course not the dealership I'm working with).

Still better than folks in the PNW who apparently haven't even had a single unit allocated yet so I suppose it could be worse?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
PNW allocations started popping up on Dec 2nd / Dec 3rd I think.

There are several in the Seattle area.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I’m in Utah. Here’s to hoping the “msrp” they scrawled on the order form a year ago holds up!

Super stoked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
jesus, new eta on parts is Jan 12th.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible for an electronic power steering system to be a little buggy without throwing any codes or lights? I got a 2012 acura tsx wagon (long hatch :agesilaus:), and lately i’ve felt like the steering wheel feel is “off,” mostly between 5-30mph. It still steers fine, the car goes where I want it to, but it feels like the power steering is inconsistently weighted. Almost feels like the eps is rapidly engaging/disengaging, causing a mild vibration type sensation (almost akin to a controller vibrating, but not that intense).

The EPS was replaced a few years ago under warranty due to a recall. Maybe it needs another one? Wheels are rotated/balanced/aligned

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd be prying on bushings / balljoints in the front end looking for play.

I put EPAS into a NB Miata and I have a fully adjustable EPAS controller in my BRZ, I've never felt a pulsing through the wheel from an issue but I will say that these units usually have diagnostics that can be accessed over CAN with a tool. I'd try seeing if you can find someone with one and try calibrating the torque/angle/etc sensors on the EPAS.

The usual issue I have with EPAS is that they will get overloaded and drop assist mid corner with enough tire / grip.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd be prying on bushings / balljoints in the front end looking for play.

I put EPAS into a NB Miata and I have a fully adjustable EPAS controller in my BRZ, I've never felt a pulsing through the wheel from an issue but I will say that these units usually have diagnostics that can be accessed over CAN with a tool. I'd try seeing if you can find someone with one and try calibrating the torque/angle/etc sensors on the EPAS.

The usual issue I have with EPAS is that they will get overloaded and drop assist mid corner with enough tire / grip.

Good suggestion. The car just hit the 100k mile mark, and the rear sway bar end links need to be replaced, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some work bushes in the front too.

The TSX has double wishbone, any idea which balljoints or bushings would be stressed during low speed turning?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The first one to look at is the big compliance bushing at the front of the LCA. Does the steering wheel do anything weird like move under heavy braking in a straight line or the car pull into the dips in the road?

There are also the two big balljoints at the connection points between the LCA and knuckle and UCA and knuckle. Just jack a front corner up at a time and do the 3-9 and 12-6 tests (hold wheel at 3 and 9 o clock, try to move back and forth, same for 12 and 6).

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

The first one to look at is the big compliance bushing at the front of the LCA. Does the steering wheel do anything weird like move under heavy braking in a straight line or the car pull into the dips in the road?

There are also the two big balljoints at the connection points between the LCA and knuckle and UCA and knuckle. Just jack a front corner up at a time and do the 3-9 and 12-6 tests (hold wheel at 3 and 9 o clock, try to move back and forth, same for 12 and 6).

Thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a try this weekend. Should I place the jack under the LCA or under the front pinch weld?

I haven’t noticed the steering wheel pulls under heavy braking, and I haven’t noticed much bump-steer when I go over bumps.

Also, I drove around the block the other day and noticed this “off steering feel” at extremely low speeds. like 5mph. So i can’t imagine much force is being placed on those joints, but only way to tell is to get under it

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Pouring one out for my type r. Insurance company has totaled it today after someone sideswiped me while parked. Truly the lamest way to go out

Solus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 24, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man that loving sucks bud :(

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

RIP in peace.

I hope you were able to get the info on the fuckwit, and you're not totally out of pocket?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Only thing I’m out of pocket is the excess fee on the policy. I’m fully covered for the current market value which is dope, because the market value has only increased since I purchased it.

I don’t want to buy one for 10k over new so I’m gonna get something cheaper for a few years and then maybe get an FL5

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

Pouring one out for my type r. Insurance company has totaled it today after someone sideswiped me while parked. Truly the lamest way to go out

Ahh drat dude that sucks. If the Veloster N is available in your region give that a look, I got one after my own R was totaled out a couple months ago and it's been good for me.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Midjack posted:

Ahh drat dude that sucks. If the Veloster N is available in your region give that a look, I got one after my own R was totaled out a couple months ago and it's been good for me.

Dealers are selling Elantra Ns for MSRP if you call around too, which is probably less than what you will get paid out on for a Type R. I think the Veloster N is gone in all countries now.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Picking up a 2017 GTI Performance tomorrow. Should be fine as a normal machine for a year or three

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dunno who’s gonna wanna know, but the only scale model of the US FiST that I can find at all is about to be produced by OTTO models. I put in a preorder with them and including shipping to the US, I stupidly spent $117. https://otto-models.com/en/

Just an FYI in case you want a little version of your little car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I dunno who’s gonna wanna know, but the only scale model of the US FiST that I can find at all is about to be produced by OTTO models. I put in a preorder with them and including shipping to the US, I stupidly spent $117. https://otto-models.com/en/

looks like it’s sold out

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

To do the preorder, you’ve gotta make an account on their Otto Club. You can add a preorder then.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Where are you seeing the US model?

I see they have a Mk7 FiST, but it's the three-door the rest of the world got rather than the five door we got.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
same as above and yikes what exchange rate are you using for euros?

its like 80 bucks i think to the euro for that MK7

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh, yeah, you’re right that it’s the three door. I was just excited that it’s left hand drive.

Regarding currency, that’s the cost with shipping, not the base cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolrah posted:

Where are you seeing the US model?

I see they have a Mk7 FiST, but it's the three-door the rest of the world got rather than the five door we got.

that just makes it cooler

it’s practically in my color too (there’s like two versions of the darker blue, IIRC)