Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Based Rimmer…

I'm shocked, shocked I say that these insane conspiracy nuts we nurtured for our convenience have now turned on us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In my mind if you're earning anything over 50k p/a, then you're basically jeff bezos.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Based Rimmer…

I wish these New World Order lads would get on with creating this cyberpunk dystopia.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of employers will match your pension contributions up to a point which I think is part of the appeal, though yes you are betting on living long enough to see it.

Not quite, you’re also betting on a named beneficiary living long enough to enjoy it. When I die, my wife will get my pension.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Based Rimmer…

"Once you see it, you can't unsee it."

I mean yes, the same is true of these two pictures.

See if you can guess what they are before and after you are told that they are a Dalmatian dog sniffing the ground and a cow looking at you.

Now see if you guessed that one is from a photograph and one from a painting before you read that.

Also the cow is a globalist.

Pattern recognition is a hell of thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I hate how its the kind of rant where when it kicks off its like, are you talking about capitalism or are you talking about the other thing. Because if you're talking about capitalism in a vague anthropomorphised sense you're basically sort-of right, but you aren't are you.

You run into a lot of those in real life when someone starts kicking off about the evil bastards in charge and you want to nod along but can't until you see exactly where theyre going with it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

xtothez posted:

Right now my first priority isn't anything like a brand new car or investing in stocks. It's instead to get the mortgage paid down for some security in case our family was ever to face a similar situation. This comfort only lasts as long as I'm still able to work for the benefit of capital, and no longer.

That's basically what I'm planning to do soon too.

Anything over the £50k goes into pension and start overpaying on the mortgage as we have a fixed rate until Feb 2025.

That's why I was asking about looking after two infants at home rather than keeping one in nursery. If it's tough but doable (rather than insane) for my wife to try and cope solo while I'm at work, then we'd rather put that money to things like the mortgage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The material reality of capitalism lends greater weight to ideas that come close to describing it, but you can either pick a fairly accurate one or you can blame the demon adrenocrome globules.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Bit crass to talk about earnings.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

You really are just trying to get a rise, aren't you?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scientastic posted:

Not quite, you’re also betting on a named beneficiary living long enough to enjoy it. When I die, my wife will get my pension.

My pension will also go to this poster's wife.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Freudian posted:

You really are just trying to get a rise, aren't you?

best way to get a rise is to know what everyone else is getting

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

god drat it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Private Speech posted:

I'm on 55k or so and I can't afford a car, mortgage deposit, holidays abroad or to give a child the same quality of life as parents gave me - largely due to living in one the highest CoL parts of the UK as a single guy - and before anyone says it, I did live in a shared house but I was told point blank to move or get sacked from my partially WFH job, since the noise from the other tenants was disrupting the work environment.

I do live a comfortable life in the sense that I can afford food and heat and bedsit rent and necessities as long as I don't get sacked, but that isn't really all that great.

I'm on 27k in London, so pretty much median income, but I'm unimaginably better off than a ton of other people on the same or more due to owning my house outright. It's about as tiny as a house can get and 5 mins walk from Kent, but I paid off the mortgage 2 years ago. From what you say I'm probably on about the same level as you day-to-day; I can look after myself and put a bit away for emergencies, but no work would eat through my savings quick enough. Though again I'd have house equity as a cushion - it's crazy what a difference that makes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bessantj posted:

I wish these New World Order lads would get on with creating this cyberpunk dystopia.

they're working hard to make sure it's 4 lyfe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

xtothez posted:

So my gross income is in this range, and I'd describe my situation as comfortable but definitely not secure.
Yeah, there's definitely a large income bracket where you can live comfortably as long as the situation doesn't change too much, but that's not security. Obviously there are levels to insecurity, but the whole idea of the system is to put basically everyone under threat of destitution. You don't achieve that by making a system where even someone on 100K/year feels secure, even if their insecurity is far less immediate than that of the person making a tenth of that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

massive spider posted:

You run into a lot of those in real life when someone starts kicking off about the evil bastards in charge and you want to nod along but can't until you see exactly where theyre going with it.
Yeah, I was talking with someone last night and we were admirably avoiding politics, until twitter came up and there were a lot of sentences spoken about what's really going on and who's really responsible that I was surprised my dog didn't spend the whole conversation howling.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sassassin posted:

The max state pension is like £10k a year or something like that? I'd live on that no problem (when/if I make it that far and if it still exists by then). Paying extra into schemes doesn't make sense to me when I could have more money to use on beneficial stuff now, like paying down that mortgage or sticking solar panels everywhere. Even with the employer-matched contributions and tax breaks or whatever.

My dad had a few different ones from different jobs that were a hassle to get anything from, and didn't really add up to anything substantial. Mum saw her pension age pushed back because she was a month too young. My youngest brother already has at least three workplace pensions one of which still sends the mail to my house, he can't keep track of it now let alone over the next 40 years. I've got no faith in it.

The problem with the state pension and incomes of that level is yes, you can live on it at a basic level but if something goes wrong you are stuffed.
Eg calling out a tradesperson (£80 call out fee + cost of repair etc), dental work (had to spend £1600 last year on emergency work as only one NHS dentist in town and I've only finally this year got to the front of the waiting list), replacement of broken 'white goods'.

At some point in time if you have not earned sufficient to get some savings behind you, and live on your own so you can't share the burden, it's just completely unmanageable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sassassin posted:

My pension will also go to this poster's wife.

Berth ell pension pot

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kin posted:

That's basically what I'm planning to do soon too.

Anything over the £50k goes into pension and start overpaying on the mortgage as we have a fixed rate until Feb 2025.

That's why I was asking about looking after two infants at home rather than keeping one in nursery. If it's tough but doable (rather than insane) for my wife to try and cope solo while I'm at work, then we'd rather put that money to things like the mortgage.

One small thing, say you're fixed at 2% but you can get ~4% on savings, putting that money in a savings account until Feb 25 would work better than paying the mortgage off now.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Legit.

Salt in the wound.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Bourgeoisie megathread

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sad Panda posted:

One small thing, say you're fixed at 2% but you can get ~4% on savings, putting that money in a savings account until Feb 25 would work better than paying the mortgage off now.

It's poo poo like this that's why I've felt like I need to see a financial adviser.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pull up to my Barratt new-build home with my 25-year fixed rate mortgage in my white SEAT sports utility vehicle on finance after a hard day's work as deputy assistant head of sales targeting.

Open the boot and take out my River Island and Superdry bags with the new gear I bought on the way home from work.

Open the door. Yell hello to my wife of two years in the kitchen as she is already home from her work as a Team Leader in a call centre.

Sit down on my leather sofa bought on sale at Sofology (haha I love those adverts, what is that sloth like haha, love sloths me).

Put up my feet on the IKEA table. Whap on the telly and tune in just in time to see Bradders going through the rules of the final chase with the contestants who made it through before they face Anne Hegarty.

Perfect timing as my wife comes in with the dinner, another one of Jamie Oliver's cracking 30-minute meals. Tuck in as I pretend to listen to my wife's stories from her day at work.

Send a cheeky snap to Smithster and Deano to see if they can come round for the Champion's League match later to watch it on the ol' Sony Bravia, maybe sneak in a few rounds of Fifa '17 on the PS4 first, bloody Smithster ignoring the rule of no tap-ins what a melt haha.

Next morning I turn on the computer and write up a post about how I don't feel secure on my hundred thousand pound salary.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

In my mind if you're earning anything over 50k p/a, then you're basically jeff bezos.

this - the level of money earnt versus actual output severely ramps up here as well

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Seems like a complete lack of empathy to me but gently caress it, I'm not a psychiatrist. Would definitely not let such a person into my life though.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
British class divides are a weapon of the capitalist bourgeoisie, let’s never forget that.

In light of that: if you’re fortunate enough to make more than the median, then great: pay your taxes. But also recognise that your taxes don’t help those less fortunate if the welfare economy doesn’t route your money where it’s needed, so take that disposable income and spend it some of it directly in your communities, whether it’s supporting local businesses or through direct donation through funding food banks, donating to the UKMT Solidarity Fund (local communities are not just geographic) or similar. Do your loving bit. And it’s not a vanity contest, so just do it — don’t crow about it. Join a union and pay the highest fee. How you spend your money can make up the shortfall from a pernicious government intent on doing harm. And vote in favour of the working class you absolutely are.

Take the loving bus. You can be a higher earner without being a class traitor, but that be necessitates that you make the conscious choice to look back down the rungs and use your privilege for good, rather than handwringing about the plight of those less fortunate while you sit on your half-million mortgage and do nothing as the ladder crumbles beneath you.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Imagine if there was a mass accident and a whole bunch of people were on fire but one dude was like "oh no I grazed some the skin off my knee, you need to consider that I'm not so different to the burn victims". It would be seen as absolutely loving unhinged, but money does strange things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagine if there was a mass accident and a whole bunch of people were on fire

that's like 90% of the active brain usage of this thread at any given time

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The yardstick I heard was whether you know the price or milk or bread. I'm a fortunate, privileged oval office who just puts it in the trolley. I learned to appreciate privilege from my wife, since she was anything but.

kecske posted:

Sit down on my leather sofa bought on sale at Sofology (haha I love those adverts, what is that sloth like haha, love sloths me).

I designed a lot of the Sofology network. All of the Everton network, though!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dont even care what anyone says I'm going to do a lot of cocaine this world cup and i loving suck at football

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I'm on 55k or so and I can't afford a car, mortgage deposit, holidays abroad or to give a child the same quality of life as parents gave me - largely due to living in one the highest CoL parts of the UK as a single guy - and before anyone says it, I did live in a shared house but I was told point blank to move or get sacked from my partially WFH job, since the noise from the other tenants was disrupting the work environment.

I do live a comfortable life in the sense that I can afford food and heat and bedsit rent and necessities as long as I don't get sacked, but that isn't really all that great.

Bedsit rent: £420
Food: £69
Necessities: £50
Beanie Babies: £2000

somebody please help me budget this, my family is dying

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dont even care what anyone says I'm going to do a lot of cocaine this world cup and i loving suck at football

You're gonna do cocaine and then you're gonna talk to people around you about how Elon has done so much for the world, and I want you to know, they're gonna be standing there thinking "i hope this stupid oval office racks up another line".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I designed a lot of the Sofology network. All of the Everton network, though!

Like, logistical, computer, or do the people who try to sell you stuff in the shops all have brain chips that connect to the central sales hive?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You're gonna do cocaine and then you're gonna talk to people around you about how Elon has done so much for the world, and I want you to know, they're gonna be standing there thinking "i hope this stupid oval office racks up another line".
well someone's a debbie downer this evening

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

mate I'm so glad we're here together for this

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Like, logistical, computer, or do the people who try to sell you stuff in the shops all have brain chips that connect to the central sales hive?

Computer, linking all the sites. Never been to a shop though. And their sofas were too expensive.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When your posts are indistinguishable from doing a bit I think that is bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've definitely been that guy nodding along encouragingly, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

When your posts are indistinguishable from doing a bit I think that is bad.

In all seriousness I have a place we could hangout.

A shipping container, but it is lovely.