Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CRAYON posted:

What is the point of console skins?

Minor protection but also it's sicknasty to customize your Deck.

Speaking of which, we might finally be getting some shells:

https://twitter.com/jsauxofficial/status/1587097997828988928

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They'll do it when there's a clear profit opportunity,

I honestly wonder when the best time to strike is for games that people clamor for all of the time. But I guess it's more of the "Hey, let's just release this over and over and set intervals just long enough for people to still want it." I had Ocarina of Time on the N64 in 1998, then years later I got to relive it on the GameCube via the Collector's Disc with the GC I got in 2002. Then I purchased it on the Wii VC in 2007, transferred that purchase over to the Wii U VC I think for an extra fee at some point but that was after buying the 3DS version and now it's on the Switch if I pay a monthly fee. I wonder how much it cost me to play the same game on different devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you using chiaki4deck? I cannot for the life of me get it to connect. I can get my base64 id or whatever, my PS5 shows as discoverable, but it won't actually connect at all.

Oh, no, I'm trying to do PS Plus streaming. I was able to get Chiaki to work, though it took some trickery, that was awhile ago, I don't recall exactly what I did. I know for awhile there I would tap on the Playstation and it wouldn't wake up, eventually I realized I was pressing it wrong or something like that, needed to double tap I think. I've rarely used Chiaki because I haven't been able to make it work outside my home wifi, if I could do that I could abandon this whole PS+ thing,

edit: I got it to work via a little bit of a wonky trick, I made the left trackpad into a functional mouse for the app (programmed it as a trackpad in the controller settings for PS+ and programmed it to left click) and was able to load into games with it. The next question is how I'll get playstation controller trackpad functionality, as that doesn't seem to be here in this app (works in Chiaki).

Still, this app is way more wonky and annoying than gamepass unfortunately. Also is it literally running game streaming from a remote PS4? When I went to load up Assassin's Creed Odyssey it had a PS4 interface for copying my cloud saves. Like, I have a PS5, am I not able to cloud stream PS5 games? I'm not seeing a lot of my normal library, just PS+ games. I'm also not seeing a *search function* for games which is like, inexcusable.

Too bad, would've been nice to play some cloud PS games when I have down time at work but it's looking less realistic.

edit 2: lol I can't even load my save game from AC Odyssey because their remote PS4 doesn't have the same DLC I owned, so my save game won't work. What a trash app.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 19, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All non-local hosted game streaming is lovely garbage tbh and the day they try and make that the standard (lol stadia) is the day I just stop playing games.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I've had good experiences with gamepass ultimate on it in the past but that said I tried Pentiment tonight and it was like watching a datamoshing video.

It's unfortunate because the only real reason I'd want cloud streaming is to be able to take it with me away from home but it just doesn't reliably work anywhere.

Maybe if internet standards rise drastically.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol tried doom with gyro controls, it scattered every shot, instantly turned it off. I felt like that one reviewer lmao

It'll be handy for emulation but man gyro aiming blows

Also got Ballisticng working with the steam deck controls, just had to use GE-Proton. Something seems a little off with acceleration but it may just be the custom map and vehicles having a fit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Skill issue

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It'll be handy for emulation but man gyro aiming blows

wtf

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mad because bad

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The first thing I do for any game that has mouse or right-stick aiming, and I add in 'gyro aiming while touching right thumbstick'.

I love that option so much. Doom benefits from super high sensitivity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The first thing I do for any game that has mouse or right-stick aiming, and I add in 'gyro aiming while touching right thumbstick'.

I love that option so much. Doom benefits from super high sensitivity.

Yep. Every fps game I do this. I’ve also started mapping gyro to L2 in third person games where you draw a bow. It feels great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Has anyone got any experience running windows 3.1 installed in dosbox? I have a few games I'd like to get back to that are set up that way, but my pc died and I'm considering getting a steam deck rather than fixing or replacing it immediately.

It can be a bit finicky about resolutions iirc, and I'd have to uh map some buttons to keyboard keys and mess around with settings, I know that, but I just want to play Mordor again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I refuse to use gyro. I tried it in horizon forbidden west, and it was bad. I tried it in the valve desk job game, and it was bad on the deck too. It's too sensitive /jittery

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I take medication for hand tremors and I can use gyro fine lmao. Get good!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I refuse to use gyro. I tried it in horizon forbidden west, and it was bad. I tried it in the valve desk job game, and it was bad on the deck too. It's too sensitive /jittery

I'm sure it's fine for anything but shooters but it's a great way to get owned with them on, unless you're incredibly terrible with sticks

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what do you use that's like windirstat?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I never use gyro. I never feels good and rotating the thing you're trying to look at simultaneously feels worse. Choice is good for those that like it though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gyro can be handy for slow paced, precision stuff but I can't imagine trying to use it for something like Doom

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Opopanax posted:

Gyro can be handy for slow paced, precision stuff but I can't imagine trying to use it for something like Doom

It's super fun, and with the right level of sensitivity, is extremely precise.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There are settings to remove jitter.

Seriously, for anyone on the fence, there are so. many. options. just for gyro in the Edit Controls section, you really can make it behave exactly how you want it to.

Obviously, if you're against any motion aiming whatsoever, those won't help. But for anyone who feels like it sort of works for them but not quite, you can get it there, 100%.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mescal posted:

what do you use that's like windirstat?

Filelight.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i don't see display settings, can you make it show boxes like windirstat? is there one that does and has easy install from the app store?

is everything unity fully supported or would unity games sometimes benefit from proton experimental?

is there a way to add non steam game to steam from gaming mode?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Only thing more cringe than not using gyro is using the sticks instead of the trackpad

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The problem I have with Gyro (and the trackpads) is that I'm not every good at experimenting, so I end up getting annoyed at how it feels and just stop using it. I'm not really sure how gyro is meant to be used, because having the game move when you move the system sounds like a nightmare. As for the trackpad, every setting I've tried to change seems to make no difference, and I don't really get what you're supposed to be doing to make it more useable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't like track pads either, I can do thumbsticks but prefer mouse and keyboard

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mescal posted:

i don't see display settings, can you make it show boxes like windirstat? is there one that does and has easy install from the app store?

Qdirstat if you like boxes more. Should be packaged.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Only thing more cringe than not using gyro is using the sticks instead of the trackpad

I've tried but they either feel too sensitive or uncomfortable to hold. Do you have any game in particular that works with the trackpads well?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

No.

No.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I like the gyro on L2 for precision aiming, but on right stick i feel like it's just always working against me

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well that's weird. Tekken 7 worked fine the first time after install, but now crashes every time it gets to loading the game menu after booting up.

No graphics settings were changed so I don't know what the gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

Well that's weird. Tekken 7 worked fine the first time after install, but now crashes every time it gets to loading the game menu after booting up.

No graphics settings were changed so I don't know what the gently caress.

MSFS2020 is the same way, I can't get it to run for the life of me. :iiam:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is it the launcher settings maybe? I've had some games start from the 'run when installed' option and then never again from the desktop/shortcut and not known how to reproduce it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mescal posted:

is everything unity fully supported or would unity games sometimes benefit from proton experimental?

is there a way to add non steam game to steam from gaming mode?

There's QDirStat as a direct equivalent of WinDirStat too, though I'm not sure what the best way to load it onto the deck would be.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Emong posted:

There's QDirStat as a direct equivalent of WinDirStat too, though I'm not sure what the best way to load it onto the deck would be.

it's not on the discover (?) app store, and i wasn't sure what to do with the files in the zip.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Dang no gyro because some of y'all got shakey alcoholic hands or something?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Don't be wasteful, use all of the Deck, especially the back buttons and mic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I yell into the Deck to issue commands and play my games like Seaman.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everyone should feel free to use their Steam Deck however I want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

Choice is good for those that like it though.
For reasons that are entirely silly I bought DOOM 3 on Switch three times, and yet, I'm never going to play it on that*. Even though Panic Button put gyro aiming in on DOOM (2016), they inexplicably never did on DOOM 3.

On Deck I prefer trackpads anyways but I agree that having options is what matters most.

* I bet it looks really good on OLED though, shame.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sigher posted:

I yell into the Deck to issue commands and play my games like Seaman.

hang on is this doable?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played through most of cp2077 on gyro and it was great but doom eternal just doesn't really click

doom eternal is much faster paced than 2077, I don't know if gyro is my jam when the combat is so frantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Deck's mic is really good tho. Try it out.