Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"And the Devils never lost again" *closes dusty old storybook*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still don't understand how this lovely incarnation of the Capitals was the last team to beat New Jersey.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
washington has won 11 of their last 12 against the devils. it wasn't too surprising

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Simplex posted:

The Wild placed Tyson Jost on waivers, and you know, I think Colorado should claim him.

They never had the chance

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1594051715397222400?s=46&t=H4-Zg3TZgILEB9gvLQy0iw

Bye Bjork :smith:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1594073235691569152?t=JQlh7sOT3s7anSeAN2Jy1A&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm going to the next Devils game cause I wanna see McDavid (and the Devils) so you can assume they will lose then.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

This is obscene

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils are 10 points up on the Rangers. You just love to see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Evidently Subban was really bad.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So here are the 12 teams the Devils beat and their current spot in the standings:

Toronto - 8th in the league
Detroit -12th
Colorado - 14th, although I think most people would categorize them as a top 5 team
Edmonton - 16th
Montreal - 20th
Calgary (twice) - 23rd
Vancouver - 26th
Columbus - 30th
Ottawa (twice) - 31st
Arizona - 32nd

So one win against a top 10 team, plus another 2 if you assume Colorado and Edmonton will be there by the end of the year. 12 wins is 12 wins of course, it's an incredibly impressive streak to do in the NHL (or any pro league). I'm just still a little skeptical that the Devils are as good as their record. I think they're definitely a playoff team, but they had 63 points last year, so I'm not really buying into their hot start the way I do for Boston or Vegas, who have had longer track histories of being strong teams.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
could be fools gold, but its not unheard of for a team to go from dogshit to good quickly. the hawks went from 71 points in 07 to 88 in 08 then 104 and the WCF the next year.
the thing with NJ is its a lot of the same players theyve have for some time so its a question of this is legit or not.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Sure they've largely been patzer killers so far. But, well, they've really been killing them. And they certainly seemed for real against Toronto this week.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I posted this before but the major thing is the level of domination analytically. It would be one thing if this was like a Buffaloesque streak from a few years back where they had like a 47% expected GF% over the streak, but they've been the better team in 16/17 of their games this year. The Devils are a nearly 10% better than the Bruins right now in expected 5v5 GF%, schedule or not that's crazy.

Of course they're not .833 good, the Bruins aren't .882 good either, both of those teams are gonna get into ruts.

As for the playoffs who knows. I don't think even the Bruins are some huge favorite to come out of the East. Carolina, the Rangers, Tampa, Florida, and Toronto are all going to be tough outs. Pittsburgh too if they get goaltending.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea, I mean to be clear I think they're a good team. It's been a few seasons now where everyone says "this is the year they'll put it together" and this time it's actually true. I think they should comfortably make the playoffs, especially after banking all these points early, I just don't think they're going to keep winning as much as they are. I'm not even sure they'll win their division.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Carolina is really good and so are the Rangers so yeah I'd agree. They should finish 3rd or better though, and they're the favorites for 1st given the lead they've given themselves.

clean ayers act posted:

the thing with NJ is its a lot of the same players theyve have for some time so its a question of this is legit or not.

The defense is entirely rebuilt, possibly the best in the league from top to bottom. And they're getting league average goaltending. If they got league average goaltending and were a bit healither last year they would have contended for a WC.

Also the "same players" argument is a weird one to make when their best players are young and naturally progressing.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 20, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't think anyone feels like they're the best team in the league now and will win 55 games, it's just obvious that they're a very good team on a ridiculous run and they will make the playoffs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fawning deference posted:

I don't think anyone feels like they're the best team in the league now and will win 55 games, it's just obvious that they're a very good team on a ridiculous run and they will make the playoffs.

I think it's fair to entertain this.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Touche. I do think 50 wins might be a thing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Honestly, I'd agree. As much as I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm they might just win the division this year. Dom's thing has them at what, 110 points right now?

...the playoffs when penalties cease to exist though??? :sigh: at the tiny team

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Conversely Washington has had one of the hardest strengths of schedules and I have no confidence they will come out any better after finally playing some of their division games.

I legit look forward to watching Devils highlights and kind of dread watching the Caps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So here are the 12 teams the Devils beat and their current spot in the standings:

Toronto - 8th in the league
Detroit -12th
Colorado - 14th, although I think most people would categorize them as a top 5 team
Edmonton - 16th
Montreal - 20th
Calgary (twice) - 23rd
Vancouver - 26th
Columbus - 30th
Ottawa (twice) - 31st
Arizona - 32nd

So one win against a top 10 team, plus another 2 if you assume Colorado and Edmonton will be there by the end of the year. 12 wins is 12 wins of course, it's an incredibly impressive streak to do in the NHL (or any pro league). I'm just still a little skeptical that the Devils are as good as their record. I think they're definitely a playoff team, but they had 63 points last year, so I'm not really buying into their hot start the way I do for Boston or Vegas, who have had longer track histories of being strong teams.

Sure but similarly, Boston's are:

Washington - 21st
Arizona - 29th
Florida - 15th
Anaheim - 32nd
Minnesota - 24th
Dallas - 5th
Detroit - 12th
Columbus - 30th
Pittsburgh - 18th
New York - 13th
St Louis - 22nd
Calgary - 23rd
Buffalo - 28th
Vancouver - 26th
Philly - 19th

One team in the top 10. 9 of them in the bottom third. It's all an illusion, but it's a fun ride.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres are in an interesting position right now. And by interesting I mean horrible!

- They have won one game in November, on the 2nd. They lost to Arizona, Vancouver and Ottawa during their 7-game losing streak.
- They started 7-3 and are now 7-10.
- Okposo has a mysterious injury.
- Last game, Girgensens got his face cut open and left partway through the game. The Sabres, btw, botched the double minor by taking a garbage penalty a minute in so there was two minutes of 4-on-4. They continued to give up short-handed opportunities throughout the game.
- Rasmus Dahlin bumped an Ottawa player with his dumptruck rear end, that player awkwardly hit Eric Comrie who was fine for about thirty seconds then injured himself trying to stop a goal (he didn’t stop it).
- The Sabres have recalled Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen from Rochester, who is starting against the Leafs. His first start this season.
- Due to injuries, the Sabres are running 7 D tonight.

:shepicide:

Edit: they aren’t running 7 D, that guy was wrong wtf

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 20, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i can't think about the AHL without being reminded that the monarchs were sold and then relocated immediately after winning their first calder cup. i know they're back in ECHL form but it ain't the same. first the lock monsters/devils, then the monarchs. i will never be burned by the AHL ever again!!!!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

T-Bone posted:

Also the "same players" argument is a weird one to make when their best players are young and naturally progressing.

yeah i worded this poorly; i think its clear that this is what is happening, but i think people have doubts because of the same player argument. i wasn't aware just how much their blue line had changed

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Sure but similarly, Boston's are:

Washington - 21st
Arizona - 29th
Florida - 15th
Anaheim - 32nd
Minnesota - 24th
Dallas - 5th
Detroit - 12th
Columbus - 30th
Pittsburgh - 18th
New York - 13th
St Louis - 22nd
Calgary - 23rd
Buffalo - 28th
Vancouver - 26th
Philly - 19th

One team in the top 10. 9 of them in the bottom third. It's all an illusion, but it's a fun ride.

Yea that's true, and I don't think the Bruins will play this well forever either, but at the same time Boston has also made the playoffs 6 straight years, have played in a Cup finals recently, etc. The Devils had 63 points last year and haven't made the playoffs since 2017-18. Fairly or not, I am less skeptical of Boston's success.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

just enjoying the ride and hoping they stay healthy. i really don't think they miss the playoffs if hischier, bratt and hughes all play full seasons

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

barnold posted:

i can't think about the AHL without being reminded that the monarchs were sold and then relocated immediately after winning their first calder cup. i know they're back in ECHL form but it ain't the same. first the lock monsters/devils, then the monarchs. i will never be burned by the AHL ever again!!!!

(ECHL Monarchs folded 3 years ago :ssh:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

barnold posted:

The Norfolk/Syracuse swap is my favorite weird AHL thing.

Norfolk was Tampa's affiliate. They set a pro hockey record with a 28 game winning streak and swept most of the playoffs to win the Calder Cup. Then in the offseason Tampa and Anaheim traded affiliates so Norfolk swapped rosters with Syracuse. Norfolk obviously gets to keep their Calder Cup win but nobody on their roster played for it.

(The next season Norfolk missed the playoffs and Syracuse made the finals.)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Spelling Mitsake posted:

(ECHL Monarchs folded 3 years ago :ssh:)

well poo poo there you go

i could go see Springfield i guess since it's marginally closer than PVD but it's still a 2hr drive and at that point i might as well just grab B's tickets

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The best teams in the NHL don't have good records from beating all the other good teams, it's from kicking the poo poo out of bad teams.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

yeah i worded this poorly; i think its clear that this is what is happening, but i think people have doubts because of the same player argument. i wasn't aware just how much their blue line had changed

The level of continuity is part of what makes them so interesting, since it's not like they went out there and added a John Tavares or Johnny Gaudreau.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The best teams in the NHL don't have good records from beating all the other good teams, it's from kicking the poo poo out of bad teams.

Also because we’re still early in the season, any team on a win streak is going to look like they have a fairly easy schedule, ie if NJ had lost all those games instead of won, it would show Calgary as a top 10 team (22 points instead of 18). 2/4 points still makes a fair change in the standings right now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Nothing rules more than a zero pressure good season so while i hate the Devils, im happy for them, enjoy the ride and who cares who you beat.

Because the next season when you suck like the Rangers its pretty miserable!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want everybody fired on the Caps staff, gently caress this shitshow.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Bruins have won 11 in a row at home to start a season, which is apparently a NHL record

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

:yeah:

I know they’re old and injured but the coaching has been horrible. This season is already lost, might as well see if a new staff can prove themselves. And if not they can look for a new staff in the offseason.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Emptyquoting this

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Friedman said Canucks/Sens were talking about a Zaitsev/Myers swap for a while. Only Pierre Dorion could lose trading the same guy twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1594165242191544320

go team