Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

So are the stadiums and training grounds air conditioned? Obviously the fan stuff isn’t

I believe it's supposed to, but...

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/qatar-world-cup-test-event-widespread-issues

quote:

The first event to be held at the stadium that the World Cup final will be held in Qatar was marred with widespread issues, according to Qatari media, including water shortages, a lack of air conditioning and long walks in 35-degree heat.

Over 77,000 people attended the Lusail Super Cup at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium on Friday night, which saw Saudi team Al-Hilal beat Egypt’s Zamalek in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw.

The crowd was the biggest ever in Qatar. The 80,000 capacity Lusail Stadium will host the final of football’s biggest international tournament on 18 December.

But fans were left frustrated by disorganisation and “never-ending issues”, according to a report in Doha News, a Qatari news website.

Supporters told the outlet that some parking lots allocated for fans did not offer bus shuttle services to the stadium, leaving them walking for over 45 minutes in 35 degree heat to reach the venue.

Many dehydrated fans, including children, had their bottled water taken away from them once they reached the venue, due to the stadium’s rules. They then struggled to purchase food or drinks, which most vendors had run out of.

“There’s no water, no Pepsi, no food. Everyone is struggling to try to find anything to eat or drink,” said Hussain al-Ashaq, a prominent Qatari influencer who was in attendance.

“What will we do during the World Cup? I don’t want to even go anymore,” said one father who struggled to find water for his daughter.

Another spectator said she spent 20 minutes looking for the women’s bathroom, and that no one knew where it was, giving her false directions.

Several fans complained about a lack of air conditioning amid high temperatures and humidity levels.

This will come as a surprise to many, given that the World Cup, which starts on 20 November, is set to be the first to be played within air-conditioned stadiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Arivia posted:

So are the stadiums and training grounds air conditioned?

https://twitter.com/england/status/1593385999543013376?s=46&t=y4teOopJEksiQxgrCSneaw

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

How do you air condition an entire stadium?
Well for starters you put a roof on it and then...oh

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Why is there so little shade in all of the picture I've seen?

Everything seems incredibly exposed to the desert heat. Huge wide expanses with no awnings or any types of shady cover at all.

Does Qatar have some kind of allergy to heat mitigation?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Everything seems incredibly exposed to the desert heat. Huge wide expanses with no awnings or any types of shady cover at all.

As it turns out, they don't give a poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
By restricting shade to only the VIP seats they make the VIP experience that much superior.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol every game is gonna have 20 minutes of extra time as every team cramps up player by player

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’ll have enough from all the shade being thrown at them.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The cruelty is the point

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I know cooling breaks are a thing now in the big leagues so hopefully they didn’t think to bribe the refs (lol) to not call them.

Not that it’ll be enough even if they do happen, mind

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

spare a thought, roofs were too expensive and they only had $200B to spend

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

vyelkin posted:

spare a thought, roofs were too expensive and they only had $200B to spend

i'm genuinely confused where did all of that go. did they really just grift like 90% of it or what

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

fez_machine posted:

The closer you are to the equator the higher in the sky the sun is. Doha is almost on the Tropic of Cancer, and on June 21st, for a short time, your shadow almost disappears underneath you.

Edit - I know it's winter. But still. The sun is high.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Infrastructure. Deserts are bad places to build.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Benzema is out injured for France, which along with this has me wondering how many more issues players are going to have. Most of the top players play in Europe and there's been no opportunity to acclimate as there would normally be.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'm anticipating a couple of the big European teams phoning it in and getting a couple of weeks off instead of being lightly cooked every day from now till Christmas

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

paddyboat posted:

i did *not* expect to wake up and see bald rear end johnny infantino threatening to feel a migrant worker on CNN but here we are :iit:

Well he ain't called Adultino

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i'm genuinely confused where did all of that go. did they really just grift like 90% of it or what

tbf every previous world cup the infrastructure was pretty much already in place and the commitments were just stuff like "we'll cover up the exposed rebar and prop up the collapsing bits at the Maracana"

qatar had to build a bunch of stadiums from scratch that are then going to get mothballed afterwards because lol gently caress the poor

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Doha has to be one of the most boring places I’ve ever had the displeasure to go to (work sent me there), there’s going to be a lot of people arrested after getting loaded in the couple bars at the Sheraton Grand Hotel then spilling out to the street unless they shut those down for the World Cup

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

stab posted:

Lol every game is gonna have 20 minutes of extra time as every team has players collapsing due to heat exhaustion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf every previous world cup the infrastructure was pretty much already in place and the commitments were just stuff like "we'll cover up the exposed rebar and prop up the collapsing bits at the Maracana"

qatar had to build a bunch of stadiums from scratch that are then going to get mothballed afterwards because lol gently caress the poor

No no the guardian article says they’ve built the stadiums to be modular and will donate the pieces to needy communities elsewhere afterwards, totally happening

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Doha has to be one of the most boring places I’ve ever had the displeasure to go to (work sent me there), there’s going to be a lot of people arrested after getting loaded in the couple bars at the Sheraton Grand Hotel then spilling out to the street unless they shut those down for the World Cup
Doha seems like one of those places that businessmen think is cultured because it has large hotel rooms and fancy-looking restaurants that are both filled with people who will do whatever you demand they do without question.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fez_machine posted:

it's too hot to be outside even with shade so there's no point

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Mr. Mambold posted:

They didn't destroy anything, not his public image or anything like that. He was a really sensitive, intelligent, introverted guy who happened to also be black as well as an athletic unicorn. He didn't fit in any paradigms the public had.

It was too difficult for me to get enthusiastic about representing a country that refused to represent me or others of my color. Another reason I chose not to participate was my intense dislike for the International Olympic Committee’s president, Avery Brundage, who, during the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, benched two Jewish runners so as not to embarrass Adolph Hitler by having Jews win a gold medal. Not only was this against the Olympic rules, but information has since been revealed that Brundage’s construction company was bidding for German contracts, which is why he was so eager to please Hitler. I couldn’t bring myself to work under the supervision of someone like that. America was angry at me for not showing gratitude to the country that had given me so many opportunities. I was grateful, but I also thought it disingenuous to show appreciation unless all people had the same opportunities. Just because I had made it to a lifeboat didn’t mean I could forget those who hadn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSi6iF9kVBs&t=65s

Yeah I started following basketball when Showtime was just getting started (at least one game of the NBA Finals was shown in So. California on TAPE DELAY after the 11pm news :wtc:), and what I saw always held Kareem in high regard.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Crazy Ted posted:

Doha seems like one of those places that businessmen think is cultured because it has large hotel rooms and fancy-looking restaurants that are both filled with people who will do whatever you demand they do without question.

Yeah that’s a fair description, I remember meeting some lawyers in a fancy building downtown and just shooting the poo poo and they’re like oh yeah we’re moving buildings this building is tilting and also we can’t take the elevator we have to take the stairs lmao

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Arivia posted:

No no the guardian article says they’ve built the stadiums to be modular and will donate the pieces to needy communities elsewhere afterwards, totally happening

Lol I'm just imagining them dropping off random sections of a stadium that the town can't do anything with.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Can’t wait for this World Cup to kick off with *checks notes* Qatar versus Ecuador?!?!?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

hope all the good lads is here. Pwm is not dead.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

things are looking up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

things are looking up.

i genuinely wouldn't put it past them

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mustard Iceman posted:

things are looking up.

Perfect

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Mustard Iceman posted:

things are looking up.

Lmao

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Arivia posted:

i genuinely wouldn't put it past them

No way would Qatar do this. They're trying to look modern and metropolitan...they'll use the foam pit from Twitchcon that injured a bunch of attendees.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
apparently they've flown in extra police from places like turkey and pakistan to cope with the influx of people. this could be tragic and/or hilarious

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When I went to Belgium-Algeria in 2014, after the game the Belgian and Algeria fans met in front of the stadium at this huge bar that was showing other games and the Belgians kept teasing the Algerians because the mostly Muslim Algerians weren't drinking. Too bad Algeria didn't qualify this time around.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Wazzerphuk posted:

I am bald, I'm Qatari
Today I am from Harare
I'm disabled, I am gay
I do not feel ashamed

I was bribed
Now I'm rich
I'm still a ginger bitch
And you wouldn't want it any other way

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

No way would Qatar do this. They're trying to look modern and metropolitan...they'll use the foam pit from Twitchcon that injured a bunch of attendees.
Okay I haven't heard about this one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mila kunis posted:

apparently they've flown in extra police from places like turkey and pakistan to cope with the influx of people. this could be tragic and/or hilarious

*Rainman meltdown* Oh boy. Not good. Oh boy. Vern. Whoop.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh yeah, a female streamer literally broke her back during Twitchcon’s official livestream. It was…..not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Crazy Ted posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna51410

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Oh yeah, a female streamer literally broke her back during Twitchcon’s official livestream. It was…..not great.

Even "better", doctors informed her she was pregnant and in order to un-gently caress her spine she had to get an abortion.

The Dashcon ball pit never actively hurt anyone, so the Twitchcon foam pit seems more on brand for Qatar.