Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The most distracting graphical jank I've seen so far has been rock/earth textures distorting as you walk closer to them. Hoppip flying past my face at 100 mph was funny too.

The bug gym puzzle is kind of badly designed. It's weird that you can skip like, almost the entire course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Saw that gif of back-jumping on your legendary and tried it as soon as I gained the ability to ride and LOL it's hilariously jank. Kirby's got nothing on these hops.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
You can catch new Pokémon so easily and so frequently if you don’t want to steamroll the earlier stuff then you can just switch your team up and bring in some newer Mons.

Honestly, I’m glad they didn’t do scaling, because it makes the exploration aspect more exciting if there’s actual risk involved.

There’s a cliff jump you can make in the very first area in front off the school that leads to Lv20+ mons, I caught a Scyther that nearly OHKOed my entire team and it was such a cool feeling to be rewarded with a crazy strong early game Pokemon because I jumped the ‘guard rails’.

I dunno, maybe there’s a happy middle I’m not seeing, but I think the game would be way less fun/interesting if it wasn’t possible to explore areas you’re not ‘supposed’ to be able to.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think level-scaling might've been nice, but yeah, there ARE so many pokemon that if you want you can just whip out a bunch of lower leveled ones from your box and play with them for a while, I guess.

Anyway, I was sending my Pawmo into battle and it said something like "Artemis the Reliable Partner!" and i was like? huh? I guess?

Turns out it has a "Partner Mark" which gives it a title! :3: (This is different than the "best friends ribbon" which you get when you become best friends and show off your pokemon to the friendship checker lady, which gives you a separate title.)

I haven't played since sun/moon, so tera raids are also new to me, and I have fun finding them and then taking them on with internet randos. Out of curiosity I looked up 6 star raids and they are level 90 I think? which if I'm correct means there's a reason to have a leveled roster. (Outside of battling/competitive stuff, which I have traditionally not been interested in.) Speaking of competitive, while I personally don't care for it, I am definitely interested in seeing how people utilize the tera feature.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Can you still have a picnic or whatever you do to make eggs from high leveled pokemon that won't obey you? That'd be a good reason to go exploring through the high level zones earlier too.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Has anyone evolved the treasure chest ghost yet?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Level scaling is a plague upon gaming and I can't believe there are people complaining that in an open world there are tangible differences between areas and everything isn't just sanded down to a frictionless gruel, especially in a series that's already incredibly easy to brute force through.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I tried to take the easy route to the big city and got hosed up by Cazadores, this is bullshit!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It'd be nice if there was actual challenge to the lower level gyms and titans if you spent any time exploring and catching a bunch of stuff, but its whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Even if there's a case to be made for it here I just sort of fundamentally hate level scaling, yeah.

I would be more open to it if gym leaders did the thing from the anime that one time where they change their team based on the number of badges the challenger has, but the idea of wild pokemon scaling up and down(or even random trainers) to match you makes me unhappy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Notty posted:

You can catch new Pokémon so easily and so frequently if you don’t want to steamroll the earlier stuff then you can just switch your team up and bring in some newer Mons.

Honestly, I’m glad they didn’t do scaling, because it makes the exploration aspect more exciting if there’s actual risk involved.

There’s a cliff jump you can make in the very first area in front off the school that leads to Lv20+ mons, I caught a Scyther that nearly OHKOed my entire team and it was such a cool feeling to be rewarded with a crazy strong early game Pokemon because I jumped the ‘guard rails’.

I dunno, maybe there’s a happy middle I’m not seeing, but I think the game would be way less fun/interesting if it wasn’t possible to explore areas you’re not ‘supposed’ to be able to.

I feel like the middle ground would be something like every major encounter having levels/teams scaling depending on how many other of the game's major objectives you've completed. You can keep the wild pokemon having set levels by area, but gym leaders, titans, and team star bases' levels and teams scaling depending on how many other of those objectives you've completed would mean you can actually complete them in any order and be provided an appropriate challenge. Gym leaders using different teams depending on the experience level of their challenger is even something that's been mentioned in other Pokemon media.

Or, alternatively, the game could just not claim you can do the objectives in any order you want! I don't mind the progress being linear, but I really don't like a game claiming you can progress non-linearly when you really can't.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Does the food/cooking stuff ever actually become relevant? There's so many sandwich shops and picnics, but as far as I can tell all it does is give you mild type and exp buffs... which aren't necessary in the least.

Tender Bender posted:

Level scaling is a plague upon gaming and I can't believe there are people complaining that in an open world there are tangible differences between areas and everything isn't just sanded down to a frictionless gruel, especially in a series that's already incredibly easy to brute force through.

I think the issue is that the game is by default pretty easy, and there's no way to toggle that. If the gaps in levels between areas was more heightened, that'd be one thing. It's a little disappointing to steam roll a gym not because you were grinding but just because you explored the whole area before challenging.

Best battle I've had so far was against the GREAT TUSK with my pack of mid-20's levels.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 19, 2022

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Procrastine posted:

Sword and Shield were released November 15 and had their first patch January 9. Legends was released January 28 and had its first patch February 9.

neither one was nearly as broken, or as publicly "embarrassing", so who knows how they'll handle it this time

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I tried to take the easy route to the big city and got hosed up by Cazadores, this is bullshit!

Could have been worse, could have been Deathclaws.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

It'd be nice if there was actual challenge to the lower level gyms and titans if you spent any time exploring and catching a bunch of stuff, but its whatever.

Like most Pokémon games, self imposed challenges are where it's at.

I've been looking up gym/titan/team star Pokémon and making sure I use no more Pokémon than they have and my highest level mon can't be higher than their ace

I just beat Grass gym with my level 15 Wooper, Flamingo, and Flying Terra meowth.

Also, to whoever mentioned it earlier, lots of non-flying Pokémon learn Aerial Ace because it's Japanese name is based on the "swallow tail" sword maneuver. It's not necessarily a flying attack, just a slashing move with a bird themed name. Much like U-Turn.

A lot of moves make more sense when you consider what was lost in translation.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 19, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

LOL you can just, like, walk up to the League immediately. They even let you try to get inside before politely turning you back around.

Also there's two trainers on the path to get there. One is a kid who's basically on your level, but the other one is definitely meant for when you're actually supposed to challenge the League.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think the issue is that the game is by default pretty easy, and there's no way to toggle that. If the gaps in levels between areas was more heightened, that'd be one thing. It's a little disappointing to steam roll a gym not because you were grinding but just because you explored the whole area before challenging.

Best battle I've had so far was against the GREAT TUSK with my pack of mid-20's levels.

Oh yeah that part I agree with entirely. Doing any kind of training or mass-catching means you just yawn and gyms fall over. It's be nice if they gave even the illusion of challenge; it would help if at least gym leaders fielded a full team of 6 (haven't gotten to a gym in this yet but in SwordShield I'm pretty sure you get near the end of the game before that happens)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's an extension of the difficulty problem with almost all pokemon games, really. It just matters more when you've got a big area for people to explore.

Sure would be nice to get difficulty settings or other options that affected these sorts of things!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Like most Pokémon games, self imposed challenges are where it's at.

I've been looking up gym/titan/team star Pokémon and making sure I use no more Pokémon than they have and my highest level mon can't be higher than their ace

I just beat Grass gym with my level 15 Wooper, Flamingo, and Flying Terra meowth.

Also, to whoever mentioned it earlier, lots of non-flying Pokémon learn Aerial Ace because it's Japanese name is based on the "swallow tail" sword maneuver. It's not necessarily a flying attack, just a slashing move with a bird themed name. Much like U-Turn.

A lot of moves make more sense when you consider what was lost in translation.

I'm running through the game using only Normal types and having a blast. Type Ace runs are always my favorite way to play since it forces you to use pokemon you'd normally not go for and adapt to bad matchups. Flamigo is the most terrifying thing in this game to me now because when I first walked up to one it immediately Double Kicked my lead pokemon off the face of the planet.

On a related note I'm super happy that the Smolive line is Grass/Normal because it's such a cool rear end pokemon. Love my olive friend.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/choppip/status/1593809320373735424?s=61&t=dKoOXo9qhfbeKXAe8Zq8eg

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

counterpoint: as someone who remembers the level-scaling debates all the way back in Oblivion and was against it back then (as it was poo poo), I've played enough Pokemon romhacks using variations of it to know that in these games it actually owns and is cool and good

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The game really needs Arceus' capture-from-the-field mechanic, imo. I appreciate the relative seamlessness of it, but throwing out my starter to bonk something with a weak attack and then throwing a ball is entirely busywork at this point.

Also, it could really use an actual Z-target system instead of whatever the heck they've got going on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think this game has two different types of jank. There’s the jank of attempting something new and wildly different/way more open that means you’re gonna open the game up to glitches, trivializing the difficulty, and some bad design decisions. This is good jank because it’s a sign that they’re actually trying to change the formula up, and bad decisions can be ironed out with repetition. A boring yet solid game is way less interesting than an inspired mess. In this way I think S/V is the best Pokémon game in years, harkening back to the wide-open feeling of the GB games which felt like they were busting out of their carts.

Then there’s the performance jank, which came about from a combination of old hardware, lack of budget, lack of time and prioritizing gameplay over performance even in instances where it’s probably ill-advised (do all 10 Subflora really need to follow you around during the Grass Gym Test?). It’s rough and even saying “it feels like a beta” feels a little kind. In this way I think S/V is the worst Pokémon game in years, harkening back to the first GB games which were basically held together with spit and prayer and had multiple gameplay elements that were flat out broken or coded wrong.

This game is a land of contrasts, is what I’m saying. im still enjoying the gently caress out of it despite a constant feeling of “Jesus this feels like it could fall apart at any minute”

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Inspirational honestly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Think you’re safe? Think again

https://twitter.com/ianzilla_/status/1594027801262579712?s=46&t=AX5JPSiwhuFAfBOfawxLWg

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Rare candies-- only if a Pokemon is exactly one level from evolving and I don't really want to use it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How do you even get to the stony cliff titan if it's blocked by mountains? Are there HMs in this game like Rock Climb?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
what's everyone's favorite new weird abilities? mine is the one the weird one-up-mushroom rock has, purifying salt. no status ailments AND super effective on ghosts for free? that rules

:allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/1594034207877402624

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blaziken386 posted:

what's everyone's favorite new weird abilities? mine is the one the weird one-up-mushroom rock has, purifying salt. no status ailments AND super effective on ghosts for free? that rules

:allears:

It gives a ghost resist I think, not SE damage

And that's also probably my favorite as well, or the poison/rock's ability.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is canonically how they become Gyarados.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

i mean my issue is that i want friction and it seems really hard to actually get any of that without constantly swapping pokemon in/out. i want levels to scale up, not down. being able to brute force things is my problem.

they should really let you turn exp share off at the very least.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Funky Valentine posted:

This is canonically how they become Gyarados.

lmfao, it literally is

the real legend of the koi turning into a dragon involves a school of koi attempting to climb a high waterfall. all of them give up save for one, who continues to attempt the climb even after demons make the waterfall even taller out of spite

Pokemon suggests an alternate legend in which the koi calmly leaves the river, crosses a bridge, and makes his way up by foot

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Does the food/cooking stuff ever actually become relevant? There's so many sandwich shops and picnics, but as far as I can tell all it does is give you mild type and exp buffs... which aren't necessary in the least.

Egg power is very good

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rageaholic posted:

How do you even get to the stony cliff titan if it's blocked by mountains? Are there HMs in this game like Rock Climb?

Is that Klawf? You can get to it, there's a spiral path around the cliffs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Magikarp decided gently caress waiting around for Todd, it's evolving its own drat self.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rageaholic posted:

yeah you gotta go there later when you can climb up stuff instead of looking around and trying to find a different path up the hill

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is this gen really lacking in fire types? It seems like if you don't go with Fuecoco, you only have one other new option?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like that you can see this pokecenter logo from so far away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Haha, I've just seen the same thing happen in the same spot. I guess Magikarp just like to do that.