Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Mendrian posted:

What disconnect error are you getting perchance

don't remember off the top of my head

got quite a few

the one that occurred frequently was internal_error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am only guessing here but since there's some kind of crafting that will be added in by launch I'm betting you will get crafting materials from missions and then you will use those crafting materials to either tweak store-bought weapons or to craft them from the ground up

Ah yeah that makes sense. Really looking forward to the full release. Pretty crazy how popular this game is already, ~70k playing concurrently today.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Has anybody seen an alternative psyker melee weapon so far? The first force sword is just kinda bleh. The slightly better push is alright I guess but having it generating peril is kind of dumb, and the special move seems like just a worse brain burst.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perestroika posted:

Has anybody seen an alternative psyker melee weapon so far? The first force sword is just kinda bleh. The slightly better push is alright I guess but having it generating peril is kind of dumb, and the special move seems like just a worse brain burst.

It does similar damage and comes out a lot faster, that's the value. It's also a bit less peril, you can do three without hitting 100 instead of two. It does require you to stick the landing a bit but it def has its own value.

Also don't forget that you can vent peril while holding psyker weapons, you don't have to switch to your brain burst mode.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't suppose there is a way to change how a character looks after character creation?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't suppose there is a way to change how a character looks after character creation?

Not until the full release, presumably.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. I just had a game where we all got disconnected. I came back to the session with 3 bots. In Vermintide that would have just killed the game, no? Something going on in the background keeping game session data active.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Perestroika posted:

I use whatever is higher in power as I level up. Right now rocking a dueling sword and its pretty decent.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

Man, loading takes forever. Still waiting on the prologue. It’s a good thing the soundtrack slaps.

they released it on youtube too, also just now saw its from Jesper Kyd :O very great choice.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Braced Autogun is one of the most satisfying and cinematic machine guns I've ever used in a game

e: Cinematic in the sense that it automatically does that sort horizontal-sweep that movie characters always do when firing a tommygun for some reason and entire hordes of mooks (or specials) just kinda fall over.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I largely agree but the amount of money they give relative to lower difficulties is enormous, so you can buy new weapons more frequently. Level 3+ also gives significantly more xp. So I feel compelled to do them.

Also level 2 is easy as poo poo and boring

I had an “extra specials with fewer hordes” modifier or whatever it’s called on a level 3 and it was almost non-stop head pops, poo poo was fun as hell

I’m legit excited to see how brutal level 5 is

E: and the patch yesterday made psykers way more playable. Buffs to quelling and passive quell time means more popping off

*eyebrows waggle into space*

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 20, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

explosivo posted:

It's the special attack button, MB5 by default I think

I swear I tried that and it didn't work, oh well

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How do you gain corruption? I can never tell what causes it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

explosivo posted:

It's the special attack button, MB5 by default I think

is MB5 the 'back' thumb button for anyone else, btw? I'm real used to that being MB4 in other games, and MB5 being the forward button

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Popete posted:

How do you gain corruption? I can never tell what causes it.

looks like a full segment when you go down, in smaller amounts as you take dmg without toughness (or sometimes with? armor piercing enemies i guess), and if anyone in your team's carrying grimoires

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

is MB5 the 'back' thumb button for anyone else, btw? I'm real used to that being MB4 in other games, and MB5 being the forward button

Yeah I had to change mine for sure.

Also difficult 2 missions really suck when half your team won't stick together or communicate!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mordja posted:

Found video of the Ogryn's stubber and it sure looks to solve his ranged woes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJab35icCU0&t=75s

i may be leveling the wrong character

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Melk’s challenges suddenly aren’t progressing for me, anyone else having this problem?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Melk’s challenges suddenly aren’t progressing for me, anyone else having this problem?

I think a lot of people are having problems with this

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I take no pleasure in reporting that Zealot is the new Elf. I'm sorry.

Also, I don't know how I feel about the Zealot having the low HP buffs that VT2 Zealot has. In this game, you can't see the THP generation so you don't easily know that's the build they're going for and aren't just some idiot running past healing. And then add things like they have to avoid dropped AoE healing. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like that great of game design.

You know, separately from the fact that it seems like everyone who just WWWWWs ahead is a Zealot right now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I on the other hand play Zealot because of how much I enjoy beating missions without ever dropping below 100% health.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This fella is in now

He's also incredibly annoying to fight if your team is dumb, so uhh...
(His weakspot is on his back, but he leaves a corrosive damaging sludge trail whenever he moves, and my team kept running away from him through tunnels, so there was no way to hit his weakpoint without taking corrosive damage, and I pretty much had to solo kill him while standing in the acid)

Not very difficult though. Also not a very exciting design or encounter :v: He looks like a slug with dreadlocks that pulls himself forward with 2 arms. And that's all he does, is move toward you and vomit at you.

Also spotted in this pic is this dude named "Montov" who took an ammo crate and then refused to drop it all mission long while literally everyone had 0 bullets and I was begging him in chat to drop it until I alt-F4'd because Montov started an event while still having 0 bullets and promptly died

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 20, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I on the other hand play Zealot because of how much I enjoy beating missions without ever dropping below 100% health.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: If I start another character do I need to redo the story objectives that I completed on my first?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question: If I start another character do I need to redo the story objectives that I completed on my first?

Like the various unlocks by level? Yeah.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

This fella is in now

He's also incredibly annoying to fight if your team is dumb, so uhh...
(His weakspot is on his back, but he leaves a corrosive damaging sludge trail whenever he moves, and my team kept running away from him through tunnels, so there was no way to hit his weakpoint without taking corrosive damage, and I pretty much had to solo kill him while standing in the acid)

Not very difficult though. Also not a very exciting design or encounter :v: He looks like a slug with dreadlocks that pulls himself forward with 2 arms. And that's all he does, is move toward you and vomit at you.

He will also literally eat you if you get close

Internet Explorer posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that Zealot is the new Elf. I'm sorry.

Also, I don't know how I feel about the Zealot having the low HP buffs that VT2 Zealot has. In this game, you can't see the THP generation so you don't easily know that's the build they're going for and aren't just some idiot running past healing. And then add things like they have to avoid dropped AoE healing. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like that great of game design.

Yeah I'm not a fan of them taking the "low hp = more damage" trait from V2. Like I get what theyre going for but it just invites lovely behavior and minmaxing weebs getting upset that someone heals them.

I am really enjoying the Kantrael Lasgun a lot on vet. Just enough pop to take care of specials but not a total dumpster fire rate. A lot of pubbies make vet seem super squishy and terrible but I'm surprised at how fun he actually is.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fishstick posted:

He will also literally eat you if you get close

If he does this, he can spit you out on the other side of an impassable barrier and you won't be able to make it back to the team, so you'll have to just stand there until the game spawns something near you. Then you have to let that thing kill you, so you can reappear to be rescued by the rest of the team.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

for twitch drops

do they just keep coming over time or are they gated in some way ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Qmass posted:

for twitch drops

do they just keep coming over time or are they gated in some way ?

One per week-ish for the next four(?), rotating through them twice.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
My experience with Ogryn weapons:

Melee:
  • The pipe - Reasonably well-rounded, a mix of sweeps and overheads on both light and heavy. Doesn't do any particular thing well but I never felt bad using it.
  • Knives that weren't the Butcher (the model with a guard and a hole in the blade like a cleaver) - Mostly thrusts and overheads for light, sweeping heavies. Interesting if you like using heavies for horde clear, and Ogryn does have feats for that. I don't, though.
  • Butcher knife - Rules rules rules. Great horde-clearing lights and a backhand-overhead heavy combo. My go-to favorite choice.
  • Shovel - Similar to the Butcher but feels slower maybe? And the heavies don't feel as great. It does have a great push attack though, a wide sweep with a ton of stagger. (You just whack enemies with the flat of the shovel.)
  • Slab shield - Slooooooow. And you really need to use heavies to clear hordes and it's just so awkward. It does block bullets, and you can push-attack with the shield up, but I just can't get into it.

Ranged:
  • The one-shot shotgun - A newbie weapon I disposed of immediately. It can knock down enemies from a surprising range and has a melee attack that's actually pretty decent on M5, but it won't kill anything but trash enemies and at point blank. You need to be able to kill things with your gun.
  • Ripper gun - Honestly, you can use this forever. More range than you'd expect, great for suppressing or killing things, and a snapshot is enough damage to pop soft specials. The only weak points are poor ammo efficiency and long reload, but most Ogryn guns are like that.
  • Grenade gauntlet - Another forever gun. It's a full on melee weapon, with decent sweeping horde-clearing light swipes and an okay heavy thrust/overhead combo for elites. It just can't block. On the other hand, it's also a grenade launcher. This is your first option to handle enemies beyond medium range, and the mix of knockdown utility and surprisingly long range on top of being a quite usable melee weapon is great.
  • Rumbler - This looks exactly like the one-shot shotgun, but don't be fooled. It's a grenade launcher that shoots the grenade like a bullet out of a slug shotgun. The direct-hit damage is fine and will stagger even very tough enemies, and the grenade is a grenade. You can also bankshot the grenade if you want, since it has a little bit of a fuse. This is my current favorite gun, and it's another gun with surprisingly long range. But, unfortunately, you can't kill a poxburster with it unless you headshot with the direct damage, which sucks.
  • Heavy stubber - It's a machine gun. It will kill anything you can hose down and suppress anything else. It's your best anti-boss weapon, to boot. It does come with caveats: it takes an agonizing second to start firing even as a snapshot, takes forever to reload, and drinks ammo. But it feels great to come around a corner and just open up.

If there are any others, they must come later than level 24.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 23, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of these weapons has acceptable accuracy even at long range, recoil compensation, immense damage that splatters everything from hordes to specials, and can carry you through entire missions if your teammates don't hog the ammo.

The other one has garbage damage, uncontrollable recoil and accuracy, and struggles to put down specials, and is virtually useless.

The 158 power Braced Autogun is the good one

also:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 20, 2022

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
How in the blue gently caress are you supposed to complete some of these Psyker penances for cosmetics? Some of them seem downright impossible. Compared to the Zealot's "lol don't shoot for one mission".

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wish there was a way to increase the power level on weapons. It's a bummer getting a sweet purple but having to let it go to keep up with level.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kaldaris posted:

How in the blue gently caress are you supposed to complete some of these Psyker penances for cosmetics? Some of them seem downright impossible. Compared to the Zealot's "lol don't shoot for one mission".
I got that Zealot one by accident because apparently the flamer doesn't count as shooting lol

But yeah some of them are ridiculous. The only ones that mostly seem reasonable are the Sharpshooter's

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Psyker "kill a boss only using brainburst while nobody else touchs the boss on difficulty 3+" full on requires a coordinated friend group to get it done and it can still fail if a stray bullet touches the boss while you try to solo it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I wish there was a way to increase the power level on weapons. It's a bummer getting a sweet purple but having to let it go to keep up with level.

I am not convinced that Power does anything at all. Some of my greys I got around level 4 do far more damage than the blues I am getting at level 10. Weapon type seems to be the main thing that determines damage. Like, "Braced Autogun" = god-tier. Infantry Autogun = trash-tier, Headhunter Autogun = trash tier. Doesn't matter what the stats on any of them are. The Braced has super high damage and is very good in other categories. The other two are good in zero categories.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 20, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

One of these weapons has acceptable accuracy even at long range, recoil compensation, immense damage that splatters everything from hordes to specials, and can carry you through entire missions if your teammates don't hog the ammo.

The other one has garbage damage, uncontrollable recoil and accuracy, and struggles to put down specials, and is virtually useless.

The 158 power Braced Autogun is the good one

also:

Those are actually completely different weapons, despite both being autoguns. The bars are left hand side min right hand side max of the stat roll for that weapon. You can't use the bars to compare different weapon types.

No I don't know why they did it like that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh I know they're not the same weapon, I was just highlighting how completely useless the item stats are :v:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. I just had a game where we all got disconnected. I came back to the session with 3 bots. In Vermintide that would have just killed the game, no? Something going on in the background keeping game session data active.

You should definitely report this.

I've been having this 'fun' bug where I get about 20 minutes into a match and suddenly DC with a "nonexisting_channel" error. Then I try to rejoin. Sometimes, I boot the whole team and I'm in a game with three bots; sometimes my team rejoins and somethings they don't. Sometimes, I get kicked again immediately, and as long as I keep trying to rejoin my team can't finish the mission.

You can see how this would be a pretty terrible experience for not just me but the entire team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kinda hoping cosmetics get better too.

These are the pants/boots I unlocked for being level 10:

These are the pants/boots I unlocked for hitting a sniper with a grenade from over 40m away:

The only difference is that the boots in one are very, very slightly shinier.