Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ShowTime posted:

Edit: Has anyone actually heard anyone on voice comms? I try and use it and never get a response. I've checked all my settings, including my steam voice chat settings (which have been a culprit in the past) and everything should be working.

yes, i have. unfortunately.

not in like 'local' voice though, i think i played ~4 games before it just turned voice off completely. so many permanent open mic fucks with screaming kids and poo poo in the background. good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I finally heard someone last game, but all he said was "you can still revive me".

Also, the one thing that pisses me off about this game is how absolutely lethal some of the npcs are. They can shred you in just a second, even through 3 plates of armor.

Edit: Just had a group that all communicated, but of course we run into another 3-man for only the 2nd time in the entire time i've played this game. They didn't realize they were real players and got wrecked. I got 2 of them down but their 3rd got me from behind. Was a fun game. With a decent squad, this game can be really fun.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 20, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tabletops posted:

yes, i have. unfortunately.

not in like 'local' voice though, i think i played ~4 games before it just turned voice off completely. so many permanent open mic fucks with screaming kids and poo poo in the background. good lord.

Turn your voice volume down to like, 20% and use the open mics to narrow down where idiots are so you can unload a full magazine into the backs of their heads while they try to concentrate past the screams of little Tayelynne and Jimothy-Mackartyee Jr.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

ShowTime posted:

Edit: Has anyone actually heard anyone on voice comms? I try and use it and never get a response. I've checked all my settings, including my steam voice chat settings (which have been a culprit in the past) and everything should be working.

One of my first DMZ games I was doing an intel task and another team picked up a task to hunt me. I was in a tower above ground and could hear them talking looking for me, it was great!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think one of the things I'm liking most about DMZ is that it feels like a COD deathmatch with bots. There are players, but its really you against a ton of NPCs, sometimes getting wrecked, and maybe you run into another group for the final battle. I rarely, rarely run into players, and when I do it's usually at an extract or high value location (like the weapon case) or just randomly. It's really fun, but i'm getting turned off by all the randoms I get matched with that treat it like COD deathmatch and just run and gun.'

Edit: When you get competent, communicative players, it's way more fun. And I just learned that you can prone in this game. I thought it was crouch only. It's not near crouch but lower on the keybind list. Its ctrl by default on PC, but I wanna see if there is a way to go back to the old school toggle mode, where it goes standing > crouch > prone.

Edit 2: I did find the setting, its the stance thing, between prone and crouch. Its tap for crouch, hold for prone, and still tab for slide. Just what I wanted.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 21, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ShowTime posted:

I think one of the things I'm liking most about DMZ is that it feels like a COD deathmatch with bots.

hmmm

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Just get SPT and mod it to your liking.

I gave this a try yesterday just because it comes up in this thread so much and I gotta ask, it's a troll, right? It's a joke that a bunch of people are in on?

Base install had me facing "pmc's" that seemed to spawn in waves just like scavs and half the time just stood there and didn't react to anything, while being geared for higher levels so the early game struggle vanishes the second you see one.

So I did a little digging and installed some of the highly recommended mods and now in addition to the above, most of the scavs are Big Pipe so the gear curve is even more turbo-hosed. I killed a Big Pipe in Factory last night, took his GL, and proceeded to kill four more Big Pipes before being killed by a fifth lol.

I don't understand how anyone can find something this buggy and broken fun, much less seriously recommend other people try it. Saving grace was that it was easy to install and easy to get rid of.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I gave this a try yesterday just because it comes up in this thread so much and I gotta ask, it's a troll, right? It's a joke that a bunch of people are in on?

Base install had me facing "pmc's" that seemed to spawn in waves just like scavs and half the time just stood there and didn't react to anything, while being geared for higher levels so the early game struggle vanishes the second you see one.

So I did a little digging and installed some of the highly recommended mods and now in addition to the above, most of the scavs are Big Pipe so the gear curve is even more turbo-hosed. I killed a Big Pipe in Factory last night, took his GL, and proceeded to kill four more Big Pipes before being killed by a fifth lol.

I don't understand how anyone can find something this buggy and broken fun, much less seriously recommend other people try it. Saving grace was that it was easy to install and easy to get rid of.

You can change all of that to your liking, I haven’t played for a few months but after all the tweaking and mods I did, the game ended up being just what I wanted.

But yea it takes time to figure all that out so if you’re not up for it ya may as well forget it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don’t see how you mod that experience out of being a cartoonish turkey shoot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Never forget the person in here who would always pop in when people complained about Tarkov to shill SP and then eventually implied they were a better person for playing it instead of live. God speed wherever they are.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I'm not sure what all you did but that hasn't been my experience at all. Yes they spawn in like scavs because they're AI. You can tweak all the spawning to your hearts content, how many, when, what level, their gear, everything. Never had any issues with them standing there. They didn't create a whole new AI model, it's the exact same AI as in live so whatever you're seeing in their behavior is no different than EFT. Also I believe I saw a recent post about that issue with the high gear andthey made it so PMC gear is more in-line with your character's level. Obviously you did some AI tweaking to make so many big pipe's spawn but considering that doesn't happen naturally that seems more your fault than the games?

I mean lets be clear, this is a fan project. It does have bugs. In fact with every update they put out a list of what still isn't working that live has. But let's also be clear, live EFT has problems of its own. I don't use any mods, I just make some basic edits to config files to get more time in raids and things like that. I don't see any difference in my experience than I did with live EFT except no real players, no server instability, and no cheaters. YMMV

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Escape from Tarkov:

quote:

I don't see any difference except no real players

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone get Zero Sievert yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

I watched a few streamers and it looks pretty good tbh

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, that’s the game to get if you want Tarkov’s items without the rest of it. I’m still holding off until it leaves Early Access because I can only take one perpetual beta worth of frustration at a time.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
tarkov thread never fails...

atleast these people don't pop up in the DCS thread

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Zero Sievert is great. It’s more STALKER than Tarkov but there are some fun Tarkov references.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not sure what all you did but that hasn't been my experience at all. Yes they spawn in like scavs because they're AI. You can tweak all the spawning to your hearts content, how many, when, what level, their gear, everything. Never had any issues with them standing there. They didn't create a whole new AI model, it's the exact same AI as in live so whatever you're seeing in their behavior is no different than EFT. Also I believe I saw a recent post about that issue with the high gear andthey made it so PMC gear is more in-line with your character's level. Obviously you did some AI tweaking to make so many big pipe's spawn but considering that doesn't happen naturally that seems more your fault than the games?

I mean lets be clear, this is a fan project. It does have bugs. In fact with every update they put out a list of what still isn't working that live has. But let's also be clear, live EFT has problems of its own. I don't use any mods, I just make some basic edits to config files to get more time in raids and things like that. I don't see any difference in my experience than I did with live EFT except no real players, no server instability, and no cheaters. YMMV

:allears:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Zero Sievert is great. It’s more STALKER than Tarkov but there are some fun Tarkov references.

The game is a total love letter to both of them. There's a quest where the giver tells you he had a dream that he had to find two flash drives and give it to some guy wearing a beanie and then he proceeded to bitch about how hard they were to find, lol

Game's kinda half-baked currently but it's fun

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the ai is so bad in this game i can't imagine shooting just scav ai mobs lol. tarkov is a pvp game imo

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

You threw mods you didn't understand onto a fan-project you also don't understand then complained about how broken the whole things was. I can't really be surprised this is all you can muster up. You asked a question, I answered it. Obviously it does what a significant segment of the player-base want it to do. I still play live EFT too. Do what you want. :shrug:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

You threw mods you didn't understand onto a fan-project you also don't understand then complained about how broken the whole things was.
You threw mods onto a game you don’t understand to make it into a bad one you do.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

You threw mods you didn't understand onto a fan-project you also don't understand then complained about how broken the whole things was. I can't really be surprised this is all you can muster up. You asked a question, I answered it. Obviously it does what a significant segment of the player-base want it to do. I still play live EFT too. Do what you want. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Let people enjoy games how they want you weird gate keeping nerds

tjones
May 13, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

I don't care how anyone plays a game but just so we're clear, they're making fun of the implied assumption that you don't like PVP. They are using the issues they had with the mod to be obtuse about that fact. Enjoy your bots bro; stop giving a poo poo about what goons think. Hope that helps.

DMZ for COD is dumb fun and really makes me wish Tarkov had Streets released. I stopped playing after the Reserve introduction wipe and told myself then I'd come back when Streets drops. I briefly installed this past wipe only to hate the inertia changes and again told myself I'd come back when Streets was in the game. At this point I don't think it will ever drop.

While the DMZ isn't anything like Tarkov there has to be a lot of eyes focused on how popular it is becoming and I think someone will eventually beat BSG to their own punch and make a better Tarkov if they don't hurry the gently caress up. Everyone I talk to has nothing but positive things to say about DMZ. From conversations in discord it appears a lot of Tarkov players are enjoying it too.

Nikita has been sitting on a golden goose and refusing to let it lay anymore eggs. What a waste of potential seeing this game slowly grind to a halt.

tjones fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 22, 2022

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

With so many people having stuff to say about DMZ, y'all should discuss it in a centralized place where all can come together and find goons to play with or discuss strategies.

Somewhere like a DMZ thread that y'all should make. Cause it sure aint tarkov.

tjones
May 13, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

With so many people having stuff to say about DMZ, y'all should discuss it in a centralized place where all can come together and find goons to play with or discuss strategies.

Somewhere like a DMZ thread that y'all should make. Cause it sure aint tarkov.

Is there an emulator I can install to simulate posts about Tarkov?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

tjones posted:

I don't care how anyone plays a game but just so we're clear, they're making fun of the implied assumption that you don't like PVP. They are using the issues they had with the mod to be obtuse about that fact. Enjoy your bots bro; stop giving a poo poo about what goons think. Hope that helps.

Solid breakdown of my motivation, Dr. Lecter, but what really happened here was I tried SPT, found it broken out of the box without any modification on my part, then tried it with mods that were described as 'must have' from several sources and found it was still broken (before and after tweaking on my part), and then I was sideways called an idiot when I posted and said "drat this poo poo is broken".

tjones
May 13, 2005

Solid breakdown of my motivation, Dr. Lecter, but what really happened here was I tried SPT, found it broken out of the box without any modification on my part, then tried it with mods that were described as 'must have' from several sources and found it was still broken (before and after tweaking on my part), and then I was sideways called an idiot when I posted and said "drat this poo poo is broken".

Default Tarkov is broken as gently caress already, what's your point?

They was plural as well. You can literally smell the smugness in some of the goons' posts regarding their opinions on people who use SPTarkov.

People here were wholesomely attempting to help alleviate your issues with the emulator and getting dunked on while doing so.

Some of y'all are weird as gently caress.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

tjones posted:

Default Tarkov is broken as gently caress already, what's your point?

You are very hostile to me trying something that was mentioned in the thread and reporting back that it worked poorly.

tjones posted:

People here were wholesomely attempting to help alleviate your issues

ChesterJT posted:

tjones posted:

Some of y'all are weird as gently caress.

:ironicat:

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm not hostile at all. I just curse a lot. Sorry. Tarkov still broken though so I'm not sure what fake complaining and getting worked up about fighting a bunch of scav AI with PMC kits gets you.

You tried trolling the guys posting about SPTarkov by immediately calling them trolls from the get. Nobody read your shitpost in earnest. The guy still took time to try to explain solutions to whatever issue you encountered.

Likewise some others jumped on the dog pile to get their shots in. I wasn't just responding to you but weirdly you took it personal. I was pointing out to anyone that maybe didn't read the room that nobody here was being serious about getting the thing to work. They're all just trying to get their cheap shots in.

Sorry that hurt your feelings or whatever but you weren't serious to start anyway.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this is worse than posting about dmz

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i'm fine with stopping posts about DMZ. This thread is usually very quiet and has kind of taken over as the default extraction looter thread, which is why I mentioned it (and other extraction games). None of the games in this genre, be it Marauders, The Cycle: Frontier, DMZ, Zero Sievert, Dark and Darker (the D&D extraction looter), poo poo, even Escape from Tarkov at this point, have a ton of players or posts to really make a thread. There are probably even more, which goes to show just how popular they are.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

tjones posted:

Is there an emulator I can install to simulate posts about Tarkov?

You could post about tarkov.

Hell, Chester could continue to preach about Single Player Tarkov, im glad they are enjoying it. Tarkov isnt everyones cup of tea. SPTarkov is not for me.

But for fucks sake please stop bickering at each other like petulant children.

And kindly take the DMZ discussion somewhere else. Like a COD/Warzone thread, or a DMZ thread.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this is worse than posting about dmz

нет! пощечина бой!

tjones posted:

I'm not hostile at all.

No, definitely not.

tjones posted:

Tarkov still broken though so I'm not sure what fake complaining and getting worked up about fighting a bunch of scav AI with PMC kits gets you.

You're basically saying that because Live is buggy I can't comment on SPT being buggy which is silly.

tjones posted:

You tried trolling the guys posting about SPTarkov by immediately calling them trolls from the get.

Here's where the misunderstanding happened. I wasn't calling anybody trolls, I was just expressing frustration with how broken the game was out of the box. It was a poor statement from me, I apologize for it.

tjones posted:

The guy still took time to try to explain solutions to whatever issue you encountered.

"This didn't happen to me, you changed things you shouldn't have, it's your fault, and Live is broken too" isn't very helpful.

tjones posted:

I wasn't just responding to you but weirdly you took it personal.

tjones posted:

I don't care how anyone plays a game but just so we're clear, they're making fun of the implied assumption that you don't like PVP. They are using the issues they had with the mod to be obtuse about that fact.

Very directly indicating me.

tjones posted:

Sorry that hurt your feelings or whatever but you weren't serious to start anyway.

Between discord, reddit, jsons, and the actual javascript behind the mods, I spent a pretty reasonable amount of time trying to get things to work before I called it quits.

TheTofuShop posted:

But for fucks sake please stop bickering at each other like petulant children.

This popped up while I was launching my blistering MIRV assault here and it's too late to call off the dogs, but I'll stop now.

However, I'm going to kill Chester and tjones. In Live Tarkov.

tjones
May 13, 2005
All good, I've said my fill. My apologies. I'll go back to lurking.

DMZ made me realize how good Streets could be and I had no idea about Zero Sievert so I appreciate the lateral Tarkov like discussion, for what its worth.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm done posting about DMZ, but I do want to say that DMZ made me realize how much i'm not fit for Tarkov. I like a more casual, less risky extraction game and it's good for that. I also realize that what DMZ doesn't have, Tarkov does have. Tarkov actually has a goal in mind, and something to work for. DMZ doesn't. All you are unlocking is more weapon attachments and poo poo. There isn't an end-game really, at least not yet. But it's nice for just logging in and getting into a game in like 60 seconds, straight to playing. Tarkov takes a bit longer, with your setting up of the character, the loading in, etc. And the better you perform, the better you can be later on. That doesn't really exist in DMZ.

Really two different games for different people.

Have they announced when the wipe is coming? Probably like, late December/early January I guess? I know they said Streets is basically ready, they are just fine tuning and polishing it. I'm sure they'll wipe when that comes out and Tarkov will go back to having a poo poo load of players.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Streets has been "almost ready" for two years now. They've still to implement the lighthouse trader, IIRC. I sincerely doubt Streets is coming next wipe. Lighthouse still runs like dogshit for the majority of players last I checked, no way they've figured put how to optimize a bigger map with even more AI.

I haven't been keeping up with anything Nikita posts since early this year, so I would be happily wrong if that was the case.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i think the worst thing about tarkov is that, to me anyway, it literally 'feels' like another shooter when you play offline. it legit feels great to play. everything is really responsive and smooth. playing online feels like you have to wade through a swamp before every action, even shooting. it's kind of hard to describe but i've over time grown to despise that feeling and playing an offline raid for a little bit just reinforces it.

I wish they could fix or alleviate whatever that feeling is somehow and I could probably look past a lot of the poo poo i hate like quests because it would be an actual fun shooter.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tabletops posted:

i think the worst thing about tarkov is that, to me anyway, it literally 'feels' like another shooter when you play offline. it legit feels great to play. everything is really responsive and smooth. playing online feels like you have to wade through a swamp before every action, even shooting. it's kind of hard to describe but i've over time grown to despise that feeling and playing an offline raid for a little bit just reinforces it.

I wish they could fix or alleviate whatever that feeling is somehow and I could probably look past a lot of the poo poo i hate like quests because it would be an actual fun shooter.

I totally agree. Playing offline really makes me wish that that was a pure PvE version of this game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Scroll up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

I totally agree. Playing offline really makes me wish that that was a pure PvE version of this game.

Send forums user ChesterJT a PM and they can show you a whole new world