Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chronojam posted:

We all knew fresh warbird restrictions were inevitable after this.

It’s for the best really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Apparently there are asshats coming up with insane theories about the P-63 intentionally ramming the B-17 because, "There's no way he couldn't see him." I think this video does a great job of showing the view from inside a P-63, particularly given the cockpit's location relative to the wings, and demonstrates what I'm sure everyone here already guessed, that the guy likely died before he even knew he'd collided with anything.

And the obvious warning is in effect, he shows the entire crash from multiple angles as well as a different P-63 crash at another airshow.

Again, THE VIDEO SHOWS THE CRASH IN ITS ENTIRETY FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES, DO NOT WATCH IF THAT BOTHERS YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sceufd1Xutc&t=600s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife just asked what I want for Christmas...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why would you want to spend more time in those things than you have to

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It's not a bad ride when you're stuck in a metal tube for 14 hours, but outside of that? Nah, man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boeing buying it and moving it to Arizona doesn’t really mean it’s being scrapped. If anything, I’d say it’s a strong indication that they’re not scrapping it. My instinct would be that they’re probably going to use it as the development article for the inevitable 747-800i BCF, and probably other systems testing going forwards. It’s probably the last 748 not spoken for on the planet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That makes more sense to me too. Why would Boeing buy it, recondition it for a safe intercontinental flight, fly it half way around the planet, just to scrap it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a small plane made an emergency landing on a golf course here, which is not suuuper remarkable, but aside from the two humans, there were 56 dogs on board

:wtf:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

That makes more sense to me too. Why would Boeing buy it, recondition it for a safe intercontinental flight, fly it half way around the planet, just to scrap it?

In the case of large aircraft like this “scrap it” means directly reusing parts in other aircraft and that could absolutely be worth that effort if they need some big parts of it for say the VC-25B.

Boeing using it as a test bed of some sort seems far, far more likely however.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sure, I get that, but if it were, wouldn't it make sense just to strip it down in Europe instead of all the effort and expense of getting it flight worthy?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

`Nemesis posted:

a small plane made an emergency landing on a golf course here, which is not suuuper remarkable, but aside from the two humans, there were 56 dogs on board

How many EQMs do I need for the surrounded-by-dogs upgrade?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

`Nemesis posted:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

`Nemesis posted:

Weight and balance constantly shifting due to dog swarm

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
/me : haven't checked AI in a while. Hey, a new thread title. What has Jerry done now?

reads thread

oh gently caress

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/FlightEmergency/status/1593735682291535872

Plane hit a firetruck during takeoff. 2 Firefighters killed but everyone onboard the plane seems to be okay

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/FlightEmergency/status/1593735682291535872

Plane hit a firetruck during takeoff. 2 Firefighters killed but everyone onboard the plane seems to be okay

Video from outside.

https://twitter.com/noticias_tvperu/status/1593710447601254400?s=46&t=ZErIQ6dU2jlJcFb0NbI3FA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is this the first airplane ever that isn't cool?

https://i.imgur.com/fqy1Wdn.mp4

(sound)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How did that happen? Were the firetrucks not willing to wait for a plane to take off?

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

How did that happen? Were the firetrucks not willing to wait for a plane to take off?

Wild rear end guess: either ATC hosed up and cleared the firetrucks to enter a runway at the same time as they've also cleared the 320 for takeoff (unlikely, but possible).

Or the pilots took off without waiting for clearance ("position and hold, traffic crossing runway ahead").

Or the firetrucks forgot they didn't have clearance to enter the active runway (most likely) because nee naw loud.

I'd guess the third option.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

(sound)

I want to see a dogfight between this ornithopter and a Cri Cri.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

(sound)

That's an ornithopter, not an airplane. And being one I'd say it's pretty cool regardless of how weird it is.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

anyone built an ornithoper that could carry a person? (and live?)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Carth Dookie posted:

anyone built an ornithoper that could carry a person? (and live?)
Some...

https://ornithopter.org/history.manned.shtml

quote:

Lippisch constructed an ornithopter and began tests. A young pilot and athlete, Hans Werner Krause, was selected to fly this machine. Since a small engine could have done the job better, he didn't feel inclined to expend much effort. Lippisch promised Krause a vacation if he could reach a predetermined mark at about 250-300 meters from launch. The goal was achieved.

Although Lippisch declared the flight a success, some other people competing for the claim of first manned ornithopter have expressed their doubts.

quote:

Because his talents were needed in the war effort, Lippisch was not able to continue his ornithopter work. Therefore it was Adalbert Schmid who constructed the small-flapper manned ornithopter that seemed to follow logically from what had been done so far.

On June 26th, 1942, Schmid's ornithopter shown here made a flight of 900 meters at a constant 20 meters above the ground near Munich. The pilot, Mueller, also supplied the power to flap the wings. This ornithopter still relied on a tow launch.

However, Schmid went beyond the limitations of muscle-powered flight by putting an engine in this ornithopter. [Ref. 2] With a 3 hp Sachs motorcycle engine, the ornithopter was able to take off unassisted from the ground. Schmid's ornithopter may have used a dolly with wheels that could be jettisoned after takeoff. This practice was commonly used in early glider type aircraft and was also used by Lippisch in the Me 163. Schmid's ornithopter made a quiet 15-minute flight at about 60 kilometers per hour. Then a 6 hp engine was installed, increasing the speed to 80 kph. After these historic accomplishments, Schmid's work was interrupted by the war.

quote:

A team at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies, led by James DeLaurier, constructed an ornithopter in the 1990s which had comparatively smaller fixed wing area. This ornithopter made a 14-second flight in 2006. It was assisted by a small jet engine, but the flapping wings did most of the work.

quote:

The four-winged ornithopter design showed it is possible to greatly reduce the body oscillation, an important step toward a practical manned aircraft. Toporov's ornithoper is significant for another reason. With much greater wing area, and the greatly improved efficiency of the four-winged design, it is quite likely that this aircraft sustained flight with muscle power alone, rather than relying on the energy of the tow launch.

quote:

The University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies followed its manned, engine-powered ornithopter attempt with a human-powered ornithopter called the Snowbird. The project was led by Todd Reichert. The human-powered ornithopter was designed to have a large wing area, in order to minimize the power requirement. It was powered by a leg-press motion, and only the outer portions of the wings were made to flap, thus addressing the need to match the flapping rate with the optimal rate of cycling the muscles. As with previous human-powered ornithoper attempts, the Snowbird relied on a tow launch. [Ref. 5] I had suggested to Reichert that in order to document a sustained flight, he would have to measure not just the height, but also the speed of the aircraft, over time. These measurements are difficult to make, and Reichert went to great lengths to collect the required data. Unfortunately, I failed to anticipate one serious problem. The wing flapping causes a cyclical fluctuation in both the height and speed of the aircraft. Thus, it was still difficult to assess whether a sustained flight was made
There's pics in the link

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who would have thought that the coal dust ramjet guy would be involved in ornithopters?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This post shows a very hairy BA 777 go around and makes a Ryanair joke which is fine but I want to point out something terrifying: look at the elevators. (Maybe someone not on mobile can extract the video from Reddit)

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/c...utm_name=iossmf

That was a downburst :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to know what kind of impulse the main gear got there.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Mildly interesting: there’s a Chilean Air Force 737 parked at Auckland airport at the moment.

There are also a bunch of people in “S” theme costumes. I hope to gently caress they aren’t on my flight. The last thing I need is to be seated next to Sweaty Santa

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also interesting, an E-4B over Saudi Arabia at present, close enough to Iran that I'm sure some radar operators are having fun making their RWR make angry noises: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfeb3

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ornithopter chat:

https://youtu.be/TXg-qoRN0co

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Peter McIndoe is a goddamned hero and a true patriot. He's spreading the truth about how sick Gen Z is of all the "adults" around them going loving nuts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

News chopper went down in Charlotte this morning killing the pilot and one of the station’s meteorologists. Seems the pilot was able to divert onto the interstate to minimize collateral and apparently took measures to avoid hitting traffic. That part of town is constantly backed up so that’s a goddamn miracle

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

Peter McIndoe is a goddamned hero and a true patriot. He's spreading the truth about how sick Gen Z is of all the "adults" around them going loving nuts.

loving CIA gulls, they're made in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shot

Chaser

https://twitter.com/krisvancleave/status/1595186701521010692

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

person I was flying with recently was convinced we were going to see pilot-less airplanes in the near future. They're rational: Tesla makes driverless cars so airplanes are coming next. I lol'd for 3 whole days

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't forget the dog.

FO Fido.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
yeah I heard on the radio there was a recent push to go single-pilot for commercial flights because of a "pilot shortage." I am like what in the actual gently caress are these people thinking? It's not a pilot shortage, it's a money shortage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was just looking into this on Reddit. This is all based on a sikorsky+FedEx research project to increase automation on an ATR-43 that could allow single pilot operation. It started flight test experiments last year so that’s a long way from production.

FedEx feeders and similar cargo lines operate a lot of single pilot cargo planes from Cessna caravans to metro liners so it makes sense. Metroliners are 19 seat regional airliners in a passenger configuration so require two pilots but in a freight configuration one pilot is allowed. I would think the goal of that ATR-43 project would be something similar.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the max passenger seats allowed for single pilot is 9?

edit: are the 19 passenger regionals even used anymore? It feels like even the CRJ-200 is rare. There’s 9 seaters for some essential air service but true airline routes seem to have moved up to the 70 seat class planes.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Let's get away from pilots dying, and events from a couple weekends ago that I think we all wish we could forget

here's a cool picture of Jared Isaacman's MiG 29 I shot at AirVenture 2022

Only registered members can see post attachments!