Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In Scarlet/Violet, is there a department store like in previous games where you can buy TMs and such or is that limited to the TM machine at the Pokemon center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just watched my boyfriend go through a massive roller coaster of emotions as he ran into a shiny salandit, and then a second later realized that it was male.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rageaholic posted:

In Scarlet/Violet, is there a department store like in previous games where you can buy TMs and such or is that limited to the TM machine at the Pokemon center?

kinda

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Am I missing something with the "Lets Go feature"??

I throw my mon out but it doesn't go fight anything, it doesn't go look for items is just hangs around me and goes back in the ball whenever I dare to move above "slow walking pace"

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

Am I missing something with the "Lets Go feature"??

I throw my mon out but it doesn't go fight anything, it doesn't go look for items is just hangs around me and goes back in the ball whenever I dare to move above "slow walking pace"

Press ZR to allow it to go out. I’ve been finding it works best by facing the thing you want it to fit or pick up and pressing they

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Wow the first gym has the dumbest gimmick I've ever seen. It's like they heard me talking poo poo about SwSh's first gym and doubled down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Wow the first gym has the dumbest gimmick I've ever seen. It's like they heard me talking poo poo about SwSh's first gym and doubled down.

Ive got bad news

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
do you really need to unlock flying or swimming just to get to the second gym if you go in the order it recommends?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Large Testicles posted:

do you really need to unlock flying or swimming just to get to the second gym if you go in the order it recommends?

yes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Large Testicles posted:

No, you can get there easily without either.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Large Testicles posted:

You can reach the bug, grass and water gyms by walking, idk what the others require.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So I'm trying to evolve Pawmi's second into it's final form, and I'm pressing R to let it run around beside me, occasionally curb stomping things along the road. Am I doing this right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i found a tinkatuff in the wild and she is cool and my friend. sadly she's several levels above what will actually listen to me in fights. Thankfully, it's really goddamn easy to make eggs!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So I'm trying to evolve Pawmi's second into it's final form, and I'm pressing R to let it run around beside me, occasionally curb stomping things along the road. Am I doing this right?

I went round in circles in town for a bit.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Large Testicles posted:

No. You can just walk along the road.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

HopperUK posted:

I went round in circles in town for a bit.

Cool. So I just need to let it run around? Nothing special or extra?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vinylshadow posted:

...weird, I had no issue snagging a level 75 with a team of 40s

You can do it and some are easier than others, but levels and badges at least play some part.bive haf some pokemon that are high level, down to a sliver of health and paralyzed that just take tons of great balls, come back later higher level with more badges and get one no problem.

They do mention it every gym badge you get, that pokemon up to a certain level will obey you and also they will be easier to catch.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Water pokemon do this now to escape harassment

Except for the one rear end in a top hat that hunts players down

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

Just watched my boyfriend go through a massive roller coaster of emotions as he ran into a shiny salandit, and then a second later realized that it was male.

Top ten anime betrayals

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Saagonsa posted:

I bred a shiny Salazzle in Sun/Moon and got like 7 shiny male Salandits first, it was a self inflicted nightmare.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

You can run from trainer battles now if you want to try again later at the cost of losing some money

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

After a full day to play the game I think I'm a lot more down on it than most people seem to be. The characters are good, def a big step up from SwSh. I don't really like the routes or general design, almost all that I've managed to explore have been relatively straightforward with no traversal challenges beyond "come back when you have x upgrade". Gym leaders don't even have other trainers, just some kind of stupid trial? I also don't like that apparently just buying them is the only way to get sandwich ingredients? That feels like a system I won't engage with much at all, I wish exploring got you them. I feel overleveled and that the only way to have anything close to a decent experience will be to look up the "intended" route to still have a game capable of pushing back on me. Other trainers not agroing you is a hell of a choice too, especially when there are already barely any and I've met only three who had more than one pokemon on their team. The battle mechanics feel great this gen, it's just they stripped away all the battles with anything but wild pokemon. :psyduck:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So do you not get exp from the Team Star fights?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
This an Arceus are the best Pokémon games since B/W2 and we are living in a Pokémon Renaissance

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

This is almost like New Vegas, ultra levels of jankyness but the gameplay is so good you dont care and some of the oddities actually make the game hilarious and more fun.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Saagonsa posted:

Haha, damnnn. I had a male Combee tera raid and thought "oh, that's kinda a bummer." A shiny would be a hundred times worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eimi posted:

After a full day to play the game I think I'm a lot more down on it than most people seem to be. The characters are good, def a big step up from SwSh. I don't really like the routes or general design, almost all that I've managed to explore have been relatively straightforward with no traversal challenges beyond "come back when you have x upgrade". Gym leaders don't even have other trainers, just some kind of stupid trial? I also don't like that apparently just buying them is the only way to get sandwich ingredients? That feels like a system I won't engage with much at all, I wish exploring got you them. I feel overleveled and that the only way to have anything close to a decent experience will be to look up the "intended" route to still have a game capable of pushing back on me. Other trainers not agroing you is a hell of a choice too, especially when there are already barely any and I've met only three who had more than one pokemon on their team. The battle mechanics feel great this gen, it's just they stripped away all the battles with anything but wild pokemon. :psyduck:

Maybe its because i'm coming off Legends and its 10 Trainer battles over the whole game but I feel like there's a healthy amount of trainers each zone (though I do agree it sucks that they usually only have 1 or 2 mons). Like, you're not going to run into all of them by just following the path because they're placed all around each big zone but every time I get to a new Pokecenter I usually have a look around and I think there is a good amount of folks about to battle.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
can a Pokeball fail in a Terra Raid? havent seen this yet and Ive mostly been throwing the regular basic Pokeball.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
oh geez I wanted to mystery trade away some of my mons before catching more and the game crashed when connecting to internet, my whole morning of play gone :negative:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

wizard2 posted:

can a Pokeball fail in a Terra Raid? havent seen this yet and Ive mostly been throwing the regular basic Pokeball.

i haven't seen it happen in this game yet but it definitely could happen in sw/sh, it's dependent on the star ranking of the battle tho and i haven't done anything past 2 stars

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

junan_paalla posted:

oh geez I wanted to mystery trade away some of my mons before catching more and the game crashed when connecting to internet, my whole morning of play gone :negative:

try this

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why do people turn off autosave? In case they fail to catch something and want to go back to a save?

Anyway I finished the first gym and then tried going to the sixth cuz gently caress it. Turn out I can't! Open world my rear end.

Anyway, it seems that the open path is kind of a lie and I'm supposed to just do all the poo poo in order. I wanted to first do all the gyms but then the rest of the stuff will be way too easy and thus boring?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Large Testicles posted:

i haven't seen it happen in this game yet but it definitely could happen in sw/sh, it's dependent on the star ranking of the battle tho and i haven't done anything past 2 stars

yeah I lost a not insignificant number of Shinies in SwSh raids (mostly in the last month lol) so rn it feels "off" having a 100% catch streak on just regular Pokeball in a way I cant explain. my brain is saying, like... is the Pokeball just a cosmetic now?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

kiminewt posted:

Why do people turn off autosave? In case they fail to catch something and want to go back to a save?

Yeah, or if you're about to be handed a pokemon and want to make sure you get one that has decent IVs or the right nature or is shiny or whatever.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

kiminewt posted:

I did it to reset for a decent nature starter who's now dozing off in my box, or in case I run into a shiny so I can reset if I kill it by accident or something. Otherwise I'd just save at the end of my play sessions because I didn't think random crashes would be something I'd have to worry about.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/cupboardgods/status/1593984740931276801?s=20&t=BDX89eDCriR7799EqTTA7w

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
has anybody actually been banned from Home after that recent announcement? havent heard anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizard2 posted:

has anybody actually been banned from Home after that recent announcement? havent heard anything

What recent announcement?