Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SOMEONE POST THE GIF OF HIM DOING IT IN AEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think about sting a lot

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ncdFEBPXk
supercut

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Best one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The AEW pape tonight was extremely good

Mostly because Jamie Hayter won the women's world title

Because she is the best

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because she is the best

Long may she reign.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think about sting a lot

I believe in an alternate reality where he and Ultimate Warrior never broke up and saved the concept of tag team wrestling.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/politics/political-tensions-wrestling/index.html

Either this is really good Kayfabe or someone is actually going to get killed. Isn't how wrestling is performed common knowledge these days? Even if you suspend disbelief you know its not real.

edit: I know angles and shoots like this are common in wrestling history, but there's so much more we know now.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bonzo posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/politics/political-tensions-wrestling/index.html

Either this is really good Kayfabe or someone is actually going to get killed. Isn't how wrestling is performed common knowledge these days? Even if you suspend disbelief you know its not real.

edit: I know angles and shoots like this are common in wrestling history, but there's so much more we know now.

They know it's not real. They're just dickheads who want to hurt someone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Queering Wheel posted:

They know it's not real. They're just dickheads who want to hurt someone.

Yeah it's this. Chuds gonna chud

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Such a great gimmick

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because she is the best

Hell Yeah!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The latest big wrestling story everyone's talking about is William Regal leaving AEW.

So Regal had been part of WWE for decades. He spent 8 years as the beloved GM on NXT. Then when Nick Khan was on one of his firing sprees at the beginning of the year, Regal finally got let go. Initially, he was thinking of taking at least a year off from the wrestling business or even retiring completely. But then a new opportunity formed in AEW.

Months earlier, Jon Moxley was originally going to turn heel so he could challenge for the AEW title. While he was building towards that, he stepped down to get help for his rampant drinking issues. Bryan Danielson took over the role, turned heel, and challenged for Hangman Adam Page's title. Once that feud was over and Bryan was empty-handed, Moxley returned. Obviously, they were not going to turn Mox heel when he was heroically recovering from alcoholism, so they set up a feud of Mox vs. Bryan. During a promo, Bryan suggested that instead of being enemies, they should join forces and be mentors. They should teach the younger generation how to be masters of violence.

Even though Mox was supposed to shrug off these suggestions, Mox was for real thinking during the promo, "This actually sounds kind of awesome. We should really do this." So backstage, he talked to Tony Khan and got Regal on the phone.

Mox vs. Bryan happened at Revolution 2022 and Mox won. As the two argued post-match, Regal stepped out. Having mentored both wrestlers in the past, Regal convinced the two to work together. They became the Blackpool Combat Club, later joined by Claudio Castagnoli and their protege Wheeler Yuta. Not only was Regal the manager for the team, but he would do commentary during their matches. This was notable as he would constantly be talking about how much he wants to gently caress the commentator Excalibur.

Blackpool Combat Club feuded with the Jericho Appreciation Society for endless months and the feud is STILL going on. It definitely jumped the shark when the BCC looked like they were going to win over Jericho's protege Daniel Garcia, only for him to reveal that he was still loyal to Jericho. After that, the two groups have just been going through the motions.

Outside of that feud, Moxley has been champion for much of Regal's tenure in the company. This led to Moxley vs. MJF at the last PPV Full Gear in a feud that was centered around MJF's respect for Regal. After weeks of hinting towards MJF turning face and proving that he could win the title honorably, he instead cheated and beat Mox with Regal's help. So Regal was then in MJF's corner.

On the following Dynamite, Regal came out alone to say that MJF would reveal the reason for their alliance in the following week. Mox came out, preparing to beat the poo poo out of Regal, only for Bryan to step in-between them and point out that Regal has done so much for them personally to the point that it just would not be cool to brutalize him for his mistakes. Especially since Regal's body is barely holding together at this age already and Mox could easily kill him. Mox held back and told Regal to run and never come back. Regal calmly left the arena as the fans chanted the goodbye song.

Fans thought it was kind of weird. Were they... writing Regal out? After making him so important? Why? One of the wrestling reporter guys noted that Regal signed a three-year contract with AEW and had not been around for even one year yet.

Regal did return on the next Dynamite. MJF explained their alliance, but then blindsided Regal by putting on brass knuckles and punching him in the back of the head. Regal played it like his was dead, Bryan was horrified, and the commentators talked up how messed up Regal had to be considering how broken his body was to begin with. They wheeled him away and that was that.

Now there are more reports that he's done. The details aren't known. One report claims that he had it in his contract that he could leave if Triple H took over WWE. Some figure that he just wanted out so he could do NXT and work with his son while not needing to travel and Tony Khan was cool enough to cut him loose. Some claim that he actually hated his time in AEW and hated how Tony Khan handled things.

Either way, weird to see him leave the company so abruptly when he was being treated as a big deal.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Now there are more reports that he's done. The details aren't known. One report claims that he had it in his contract that he could leave if Triple H took over WWE. Some figure that he just wanted out so he could do NXT and work with his son while not needing to travel and Tony Khan was cool enough to cut him loose. Some claim that he actually hated his time in AEW and hated how Tony Khan handled things.

Either way, weird to see him leave the company so abruptly when he was being treated as a big deal.

I don't think AEW is doing that great right now, I don't really have a lot of interest in following their shows episode-to-episode but I really feel like there are some "wrestling reporters" are really eager to report how much everyone hates their time at AEW and really just want to stir the pot on that front. There are a ton of things that could be going a lot better at AEW but I don't think some wrestlers are as mad about collecting a paycheck and having a fair amount of freedom as is reported

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A quick reminder that AEW is and always has been doomed to fail, it's just a matter of time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Regal has been married to the same woman since 1986 and I think that's an astronomical feat for this industry.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

A quick reminder that AEW is and always has been doomed to fail, it's just a matter of time.

I was hoping it'd continue to put out a good product but it really looks like it's coming apart finally

I mean there's definitely good matches and stuff but oh my god the storytelling is a nightmare

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Every time this thread gets bumped after a break of longer than a week, I assume this is when Vince McMahon ACTUALLY dies.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Vince will not truly die until Steve Austin overcomes the fiendish traps and vicious guards protecting Mr. McMahon's phylactery, and destroys that accursed artifact with a Stone Cold Stunner.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Vince will not truly die until Steve Austin overcomes the fiendish traps and vicious guards protecting Mr. McMahon's phylactery, and destroys that accursed artifact with a Stone Cold Stunner.

It's probably buried inside Undertaker's urn. Nobody would think to check inside a different phylactery. Vince finally needs to step down shortly after Taker finally retires. Coincidence?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Every time we heard the glass shatter, that was another decoy down.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Is AEW actually doing that bad? I feel like people say this constantly but it seems fine?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I wouldn't ring the death knell for AEW yet, but between some ill-received booking, injuries, and the CM Punk fiasco, Tony is certainly having a rough year.

Also, some in this thread are doom-and-gloomers predicting the death of televised wrestling period and firmly convinced WWE is the only company that can survive and that only by inertia and a huge tape library.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 5, 2022

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Most of my issues with AEW are around the fact that their story telling has gotten worse after already being mediocre. Matches are still great, its fun to tune in and watch but it feels pretty incoherent and the "lets buy every wrestler!" era definitely had an effect on the company

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they are going to die any time soon unless poo poo gets real weird with Tony real quick. Otherwise it's just gonna settle into being #2 and continue stumbling along for a while

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Is AEW actually doing that bad? I feel like people say this constantly but it seems fine?

No. It's all made up bullshit. AEW is still really good.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's weird remembering how Pentagon was The Man in Lucha Underground but now in AEW he is only A Guy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

they just set a really high bar the first couple years, and now it's more touch and go

it's not like the company's in danger of going under any time soon, it's just that the future is uncertain

dynamite posted their lowest ratings ever or whatever a few weeks ago, which, y'know, ehhhh... 👋
that's not a disaster, but it feels like a data point in a downward trend that they need to avoid before it gets worse

it's just that it could be the beginning of bigger problems. with the rumors about tensions backstage, y'know, failing to draw can mean financial trouble, financial trouble can worsen backstage tensions, and if things get bad enough you can start losing talent and losing options to improve the product. you don't want a downward trend to turn into a death spiral
I think they'll probably right course, personally, in my capacity as somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince has purchased aew to compete with wwe

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Having Vince kicked out of WWE probably didn't help AEW either as I wouldn't be surprised if a few disaffected WWE fans started watching AEW but then went back to WWE after Triple H became booker man.

I'm definitely not as into AEW as I was 1-2 years ago, but not sure if that's because of the product or i'm just busier.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince has purchased aew to compete with wwe

:suspense:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Outside of their never-changing problems with the women's division, AEW's issues boil down to two main things.

First, the Ring of Honor situation. Tony Khan bought Ring of Honor. While there are still Ring of Honor PPVs every now and then (such as this weekend), there is no TV show. Khan is working on getting a show and that means a lot of emphasis on ROH during AEW. That's fine for the most part, except for the titles. If you watched WWE after they just bought out WCW, you might remember when there were like a million titles on the show to the point that it was all watered down. That's how it is in AEW.

Second, AEW has been bad or at least iffy with a lot of their top stars lately due to either questionable booking or just bad luck. This is mostly getting fixed up, but here's what's been going wrong:

- CM Punk: Injured and probably done with the company after the Brawl Out incident. A big hit to the company, especially since they were treating him as the top guy.

- The Elite: Bringing back Kenny Omega from injury after a long wait, having him win the inaugural trios titles with the Bucks, then immediately taking them off TV sucked. Not only were they gone, but this meant a hiatus on the weekly web series Being the Elite, which was really part of the company's soul in an odd way.

- Hangman and the Dark Order: With the Elite gone, that kind of killed Hangman's story for a bit. No Being the Elite also took the Dark Order off the table for the most part. Hangman got himself a high-profile title shot against Moxley, but injured himself near the end of it and they had to call and audible. Right now, they're building up a Hangman vs. Mox feud that's off to a great start.

- Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson, and Chris Jericho: Considered the real locker room leaders, these three have been carrying the company in the past few months. Unfortunately, a lot of that means running the Blackpool Combat Club vs. Jericho Appreciation Society feud into the ground. Jericho's run as ROH Champion has been one of the company's highlights, though.

- MJF: While he's deserving of his title run, they spent weeks building him up as a possible face, only to have him be the same tired version of himself we've seen for three years. They could do some cool poo poo with him in the near future, but so far it's just same old, same old.

- FTR: To be fair, AEW has been killing it with their top tag feud, the Acclaimed vs. Swerve in Our Glory. FTR has been left on the sidelines, as they were going to be part of CM Punk's title reign. Finally, they seem to be pulling the trigger on making Acclaimed vs. FTR happen.

- Andrade El Idolo and Eddie Kingston: Both have been derailed and taken off TV due to their backstage fights with Sammy Guevara. Andrade seems to want out of the company, but it's hard to tell how much of that is a work. Regardless, his absence hurt the storyline going on with Rush and Dark Order's 10.

- Jungle Boy Jack Perry: While his promos were a little shaky, he was part of a pretty big program with Christian Cage. Unfortunately, Christian was injured going into All Out, so they did an angle where Luchasaurus brutalized Jungle Boy and helped Christian win. Jungle Boy took out Luchasaurus with a fantastic cage match at Full Gear, but it stings that he couldn't get a win over Christian as part of his revenge.

- The Firm: A new stable that was supposed to get involved with CM Punk post-All Out. Instead, they're kind of just there and while the company is trying to push Ethan Page, it's a push that few fans are asking for.

- Ricky Starks: They're building him up as MJF's first challenger, but he's injury prone and that's been causing road bumps in his career.

- Miro: Has not been on TV in for-loving-ever and nobody really knows why. Easily the most underused talent in the company.

That all said, the last PPV was fantastic and there have been some strong shows since.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
how long did cm punks comeback even last lol

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I have watched the rasslin twice in the past 20 years. One of those times was the AEW PPV that I reviewed earlier ITT. There were a couple of really entertaining people/matches--the guys who fought attached by a chain, the bitchy dentist, the chick who looks like Storm from the X Men got way into crossfit...

But mostly it was just schlubby white guys in black trunks flopping around, seemingly at random, while the commentators screamed like it was Mayweather/Pacquiao, and I just sat there playing on my phone thinking "this is why no one watches wrestling anymore."

I also watched a WWE show a couple of weeks beforehand, but I have literally no recollection of that at all, other than it was so loving boring.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

About a year

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Gavok posted:

- MJF: While he's deserving of his title run, they spent weeks building him up as a possible face, only to have him be the same tired version of himself we've seen for three years. They could do some cool poo poo with him in the near future, but so far it's just same old, same old.

Frankly I'm glad they're back to making him a giant heel, that seems like his natural form and what he's best at.

But yeah what the gently caress happened to Miro.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

About a year, not counting all the time off for injury. He first showed up on August 20, 2021 as part of the hype for his first match back at All Out 2021 (September 5). He won the title and got injured in May, came back in August, then won the title back at All Out 2022 on September 4, 2022. That was followed immediately by the infamous scrum and that's the last time we've seen him on AEW.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

About a year, not counting all the time off for injury. He first showed up on August 20, 2021 as part of the hype for his first match back at All Out 2021 (September 5). He won the title and got injured in May, came back in August, then won the title back at All Out 2022 on September 4, 2022. That was followed immediately by the infamous scrum and that's the last time we've seen him on AEW.

lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Oh, and another problem with AEW now that Triple H is running WWE again is the momentum of angry/fired ex-WWE guys showing up in AEW has fizzled almost completely. While AEW really shouldn't be hiring anyone new for a while, once Triple H came back, all the potential big names went back under his umbrella. Guys like Bray Wyatt and Johnny Gargano.

AEW still brings in guys who aren't huge names but are huge talents like El Bandido and AR Fox, but recently their biggest reveal was Jeff Jarrett. Jeff Jarrett is both a cancer and a cockroach in the wrestling business and holy poo poo do I not want to see him on my TV.

The only possible big name out there right now is Sasha Banks. Some think that the lame Jade Cargill vs. Bow-Wow feud is a vehicle to bring her into AEW, but AEW would REALLY need to give more spotlight to their women's division to make that worthwhile.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

It's weird remembering how Pentagon was The Man in Lucha Underground but now in AEW he is only A Guy.

He's 1/3 of the trios champions, is in a best of 7 feud with one of the best trios team of the past decade, and gets some of the biggest pops on the roster. He's much more than A Guy.

They do need to put him in more singles matches. And bring back the Penta Says promos. That poo poo was fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

Jeff Jarrett is both a cancer and a cockroach in the wrestling business and holy poo poo do I not want to see him on my TV.
lol but a solemn lol