Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My biggest complaint right now is that something about the loading is criminally long; I don't know if it is the handshake or if it is actually loading in the resources or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Unlucky7 posted:

My biggest complaint right now is that something about the loading is criminally long; I don't know if it is the handshake or if it is actually loading in the resources or what.

Yeah I've noticed this. It may be other players sometimes, but the tutorial mission took ages to load from SSD too.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Khizan posted:

If he does this, he can spit you out on the other side of an impassable barrier and you won't be able to make it back to the team, so you'll have to just stand there until the game spawns something near you. Then you have to let that thing kill you, so you can reappear to be rescued by the rest of the team.

This happened to me. Alt f4 then reconnect, the bot replacing you will teleport to the team while you are out.

Man my buddy had a ton of crashes today. We moved up to difficulty 3 and when he did the final drop he got stuck floating in midair unable to switch away from his auspex to a weapon. Died, when he appeared for rescue he saw himself as alive again, then crashed when someone rescued him. Then I crashed too. We got back in to a loss screen then locked up on that.

Game is awesome but needs some work...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've played a ton over the last couple of days. I'm really enjoying the game but like everyone says it's definitely not 'done'. I haven't had a single game go by without a disconnect and while I can reconnect relatively easily it's obvious it's a bug and not just the servers getting hammered because I'm getting a DC error very few other people are getting - it's definitely an interaction somewhere but hosed if I know what it is. I imagine everyone is experiencing some shade of this - weird poo poo happening that is unique to them, on top of the bugs everyone is experiencing altogether. On top of that the game just feels very unoptimized and variable performance wise. The idea that a current gen videocard is basically required to play the game is a bit offputting and I'm sure it's going to result in some broken expectations down the line.

All that being said there's nothing here I didn't expect. It's a really fun game if you look past all that and Vermintide was the same way - VT2's entire first year was an utter shitshow and people forgive it now because they played a very late gen version of that game that was mostly polished, but let me tell you, it was not always that way. Fatshark has been uncharacteristically communicative about this game and if they can keep that momentum, I think most of the people who aren't just trying to jump on the next big game wagon will be pleased with it. It's definitely going to have a wave of, 'lol game is so broken' though, so brace for that.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm really starting to fall off of the Ogryn. He felt pretty great during the close beta, but with the seeming shift to more ranged enemies his lack of reach and Toughness is really starting to show. The Brute Shield helps somewhat, but my man is so slow with it out that it feels like it only delays the inevitable. I'm going to stick it out until I try the Stubber, but I don't have a lot of hope.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I've noticed this tonight, too. I think it's server issues. It wasn't as bad on Thursday.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

raverrn posted:

I'm really starting to fall off of the Ogryn. He felt pretty great during the close beta, but with the seeming shift to more ranged enemies his lack of reach and Toughness is really starting to show. The Brute Shield helps somewhat, but my man is so slow with it out that it feels like it only delays the inevitable. I'm going to stick it out until I try the Stubber, but I don't have a lot of hope.

The thumper, grenade gauntlet, and heavy stubber can all hit and kill almost anything you can see. His range isn't as bad as you'd think. Remember, the thumper looks exactly like the useless newbie shotgun.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I just solo'ed a Beast of Nurgle after it took out the rest of my time by knocking them off a bridge.

I feel like I need a cigarette.

I haven't smoked in years.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I've noticed this tonight, too. I think it's server issues. It wasn't as bad on Thursday.

The game doesn't seem to start the mission until everyone has loaded it so it may also be people in your group dragging rear end.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

The thumper, grenade gauntlet, and heavy stubber can all hit and kill almost anything you can see. His range isn't as bad as you'd think. Remember, the thumper looks exactly like the useless newbie shotgun.

The gauntlet is the very definition of underwhelming. The damage falloff is so extreme that it might as well be a single-target weapon, and at that it's a weaker, more clumsy and less ammo efficient revolver. The melee attack is a cute gimmick, but the Ogryn's talents are built towards heavy attack cleaves for waveclear so it seems superfluous. If it was a heavy single target hit or have high AP I might reconsider.

My only Thumper is gray so I'm.holdomg off judgement. If it does heavy single target and the reload isn't agonizing it might do okay for ranged specials, but it's still a hard sell for the corridors with 10+ rifleman in them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rougey posted:

I just solo'ed a Beast of Nurgle after it took out the rest of my time by knocking them off a bridge.

I feel like I need a cigarette.

I haven't smoked in years.

I just beat that ammo-stealing mission when 2/4 of my team went down with 3/5 of the ammo loaded. Me and the other survivor were carrying the other two ammo cases, and the other surviror threw their ammo up the ladder and turned around to sacrifice themself holding off the horde while I loaded the remaining two ammos, hit the switch, leapt across the gap to the extending bridge with ragers behind me, and escaped.

This game is great for cinematic moments like that

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As Ogryn I can't figure out how to jump from difficulty 2 to 3. It goes from fun to painful and dying to any ranged units

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I wonder if you're just supposed to go down a lot as Ogryn. Between the tons of HP and extra Wound, maybe that's the gameplay loop.

Sure feels bad though.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
My only success as Ogryn playing on difficulty 3 was to play as aggressively as I could afford to in the moment, keep mulching mooks with a fast knife so that toughness is constantly building back up.
Also there are bigger groups of armored specials so the grenade box perk that spills out a cluster of grenades pulled us out of real bad situations a couple times.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

raverrn posted:

I wonder if you're just supposed to go down a lot as Ogryn. Between the tons of HP and extra Wound, maybe that's the gameplay loop.

Sure feels bad though.

While I haven't played a lot after installing earlier today, I can pretty much guarantee going down isn't part of an intended gameplay loop. Based on the mechanics as I understand them now, there's probably some method of regenerating toughness that Ogryn has to compensate for how large they are and how open that makes them to taking ranged hits. It might not open up until higher levels.

The game does still have absolutely the same problem Recruit/Veteran (and sometimes Champion) does in VT2 in that people do not prioritize damage avoidance remotely enough. If something gets into melee range it's functionally literally better every single time to swap to your melee weapon and start blocking, dodging, and pushing.

Power does seem to still effect how many enemies you can cleave through with a power attack before the attack stops and you have to swing again, so managing hordes should be easier once we start reaching higher levels and have higher leveled items. Pushing large groups is still extremely effective and I have to imagine Ogryn's weapons all have massive effective cones for the push.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Jarvisi posted:

As Ogryn I can't figure out how to jump from difficulty 2 to 3. It goes from fun to painful and dying to any ranged units

I just did a run on Ogryn with a club + shield and grenade launcher loadout. It was fun, and also reduced the problems I had with ranged enemies in two ways:

1) The shield lets you shield up, then simply march straight toward ranged enemies. Their attacks will be futile - they simply plink the shield, you chuckle, them whack 'em when you're finally close. It doesn't close the distance fast, but it does do it safely.

2) The grenade launcher (the one that straps to your wrist and is also a meelee weapon) has a surprisingly long range. If you can get used to the arcing trajectory you can kill ranged enemies from far away. I did the mission where you have to load up a bunch of stolen ammo at the end, this takes place in a large arena. During the action two snipers appeared. I was able to pop one with a grenade, then march up to the other with my shield out and crack his skull.

Try one or both of these weapons.

Oh! And the shield's special attack (mouse 5) lets you plant it in the ground for a super defensive pose. Enemy attacks do not drain your stamina in this mode. If you can put yourself in a chokepoint for a hoard, you can tank the entire hoard on your shield while your allies plink away around you (on high difficulties this may stop working if friendly fire damage increases like in VT2).

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 20, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think I get a disconnect every time during that servo skull scan map with the big disease tree. It'll always disconnect me during the run to the Extract, and then I just kinda hope that my team won't make it to the end before I get a chance to reconnect.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Staff psyker felt a little underwhelming initially, until I realized it's the same type of force staff (with the same icons!) that can either roll the AOE explosion or chain lightning.

The lightning is just so good. Hordes? Staggered. Specials? Staggered. And the primary fire is still a great headshotting machine.

Turns out the trick all along has been "eh, just spam the tag button and let the veterans handle the specials" and only brain burst in specific scenarios.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Staff psyker felt a little underwhelming initially, until I realized it's the same type of force staff (with the same icons!) that can either roll the AOE explosion or chain lightning.

The lightning is just so good. Hordes? Staggered. Specials? Staggered. And the primary fire is still a great headshotting machine.

Turns out the trick all along has been "eh, just spam the tag button and let the veterans handle the specials" and only brain burst in specific scenarios.

You can get the 4% chance to warp charge on kills in cohesion talent and it'll largely do 'well enough' while you focus on doing other things. Brain burst is extremely good for popping certain things like dogs and the heavy machine gunners and Bulwarks.

Force sword is absolutely bonkers for nailing specials and the assassination bosses. The imbued charge attack will do way more damage than a brain burst. It'll fully one-shot a mutant when the brain burst can't . On assassination targets, I've gotten a critical hit on the imbued charged attack and lopped off like 1/3rd of a bosses health. It's way easier to do it on the assassination targets though because it's way easier to line up a headshot on them than the Plogryn or Beast.

Edit: vvvvv 120 effective toughness is the second highest, baseline. It's just that Zealot can charge to heal theirs and the Psyker is, well....

The big problem is that Ogryns don't really have good tools to deal with ranged. Grenadier gauntlets are their best weapon simply because it can reach out and touch a scav gunner behind cover, or knock down a pack of rifles long enough for you to close in and bust heads. Still, it does feel like the correct answer for Ogryn loadouts is shield + gauntlet in a way that is kind of boring.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 20, 2022

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Sab Sabbington posted:

While I haven't played a lot after installing earlier today, I can pretty much guarantee going down isn't part of an intended gameplay loop. Based on the mechanics as I understand them now, there's probably some method of regenerating toughness that Ogryn has to compensate for how large they are and how open that makes them to taking ranged hits. It might not open up until higher levels.

The game does still have absolutely the same problem Recruit/Veteran (and sometimes Champion) does in VT2 in that people do not prioritize damage avoidance remotely enough. If something gets into melee range it's functionally literally better every single time to swap to your melee weapon and start blocking, dodging, and pushing.

Power does seem to still effect how many enemies you can cleave through with a power attack before the attack stops and you have to swing again, so managing hordes should be easier once we start reaching higher levels and have higher leveled items. Pushing large groups is still extremely effective and I have to imagine Ogryn's weapons all have massive effective cones for the push.

Ogryn has the lowest base toughness at effectively 120, and the highest base health at 300. Their Toughness regen is tied to melee attacks and the charge attack. On top of that they're big enough to make most scattered cover useless. At any real difficulty it feels like you're glued to the shield when there's more than two ranged enemies.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The difficulty spike between levels 2 and 3 is really something if you’re under leveled

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

???

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHF2GEY5pFc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You must have picked that one up two terrors ago you're doing it buddy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way I can see what my crit rate is? I don't *think* it's weak spot hits, because there's stuff that gives +#% crit chance

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anything you hear your melee weapon making a unusual "WhooshTHUD" sort of noise, that's the random crit sound, it should also flash a bit red.

Right now, I don't think there is anyway to check your personal stats or base crit rate of any weapon, for all we know every weapon could have a 5% crit rate or different weapons could have more/less.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Four psykers walk into a police station and kill a man.

The end.

(Very fun run.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anything you hear your melee weapon making a unusual "WhooshTHUD" sort of noise, that's the random crit sound, it should also flash a bit red.

Right now, I don't think there is anyway to check your personal stats or base crit rate of any weapon, for all we know every weapon could have a 5% crit rate or different weapons could have more/less.

Figures.
No idea why they seem so terrified of showing numbers to the players, considering how all weapon upgrades and traits are incremental increases. Makes it really hard to judge whether something is good or not.

Edit: also, is the game not closing properly for people now? I have to restart steam to stop it from thinking I'm still playing. Didn't happen yesterday, I think.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 20, 2022

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Al-Saqr posted:

The difficulty spike between levels 2 and 3 is really something if you’re under leveled

Its pretty brutal. Going from seeing 2-3 specials to maybe 4-6 and a possible mini boss in the same area.

Level 2 feeling kinda easy but level 3 maybe bit rough.

Popete posted:

Ok I am really getting tired of the one teammate who is full on sprinting thru the entire level like this is some speed run record.

I think I'm with the speedrunners where if its levels 1-2. Especially if they're trying to clear out the annoying weeklies before the timer runs out.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 20, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So was thinking what a difference the veteran experience will be between a newbie and later unlocking all the grenade feats, someone else had the same idea and put it to a image.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
8% chance to gain a grenade on any enemy killed? That seems nuts, you won't be able to throw them fast enough

Orv
May 4, 2011
Regrettably both Frag Storm and the Psyker AoE on elite brain burst DoT are absolutely terrible.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

8% chance to gain a grenade on any enemy killed? That seems nuts, you won't be able to throw them fast enough
Pretty sure it's a typo and only activates on an elite kill.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

raverrn posted:

Pretty sure it's a typo and only activates on an elite kill.

Ah, shame. That seems more reasonable, though not close to as funny

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Regrettably both Frag Storm and the Psyker AoE on elite brain burst DoT are absolutely terrible.

Weird, feel like being able to put 8 stacks of bleed on a boss the second they appear would be good, can you elaborate?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sharkopath posted:

Weird, feel like being able to put 8 stacks of bleed on a boss the second they appear would be good, can you elaborate?

The DOT damage is apparently very weak. Like 2 damage a tick on the guys you'd actually want it proc'd on.

The grenade every 45 second perk seems to work good-ish. I've had grenades relenish with it so I know it works, but felt like less grenades than you'd expect for something that is supposed to tick over every minute. Still seems like a great perk, was nice to use my grenades.

The 8% chance replenish doesn't work, apparently tested in the thread and so it probably is only proc off elite, which doesnt seem that bad theres always plenty of elites.

Is the only drop the lasgun skin at this time or what?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Like Jerkface said the actual bleed is a pitiful amount of damage. Even on poxwalkers it’s pretty not great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah I see, yeah I run with the free grenade every minute perk and it just seems flat out the best perk that tier. Was hoping going all in on grenade perks would be worth it too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Orv posted:

Like Jerkface said the actual bleed is a pitiful amount of damage. Even on poxwalkers it’s pretty not great.

Playing around in the meatgrinder all DoTs are pretty terrible right now. Flamers for example are great crowd-clearing (and carapace-armor cooking) tools thanks to their pure damage output, but the DoT from setting something on fire is… 3 a tick? Which makes the primary fire not great outside of its ability to quickly stagger things as you approach them.

Seems like something that needs a tuning pass desperately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The way DOTs usually work is something like bleeding an enemy for a % of their total HP, like bleed for 25% of total HP over X seconds. This game seems to just have gone with a static value, which is uhhh not great when enemies have huge health bars.