Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wish I could go to a early 90's radio shack rn honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Newbury Comics is still around but last time I went there they had massively reduced their formerly huge stock of used cds/dvds to make room for shelves of funkopops. So RIP.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Back in the late 90s it really was a store where you could buy anything electronic you needed.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

You can dial 988 to talk to someone at the Suicide Prevention Hotline. They are available 24 hours a day.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Magic Eye Picture store

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

They reopened a Radio Shack in town but I’m afraid it’s nothing but cell phones and low-end remote control cars like the old Radio Shack was towards the end.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

This place.

It was like a Sharper Image, Best Buy, and Media Play on steroids and we loved it. There was a McDonald's fast food restaurant inside and the place was absolutely massive.

We would skip school to go there and just wander around all day and eat fries. You could play PC games on the state of the art 286/486 processors or sit in a giant vibration lazy-boy like Homer Simpson.

I never knew anyone who ever bought anything from there even though we went a few times a week.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

You Are A Elf posted:

I miss hearing "attention K-Mart shoppers..."

have you seen this. you can listen to it and pretend that you are in those hallowed halls. sometimes those words happen, and sometimes it's an advertisement for a blender. here is the url: https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Howard Beale posted:

The Magic Eye Picture store

What did this place sell? Was it all just those things you have to cross your eyes to see a boat or was it more like a magic shop too?

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Lechmere's

Circuit City

Service Merchandise

Bradlees'

Radio Shack

My favorite is still in business but used books stores in general

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the mall i grew up going to.

which is now a dirt lot.

had a radio shack, walden books, and k b toys right next to eachother.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Ames

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MrQwerty posted:

I went to one when I was trying to install a graphics card with no clue what I was doing and they gave helpful advice that fixed the issue and found the part I needed to make it work. Assuming that type of good employee is long gone.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Hills department store. I used to beg my mom to buy me Atari 2600 games there.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Unperson_47 posted:

Radio Shack

I worked there for about a year. Got to know every zip code in the area

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I worked there for about a year. Got to know every zip code in the area

did people ever come in to buy a light timer cause they are going on vacation, and then you end the sale by asking for their address?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

olives black posted:

Basically every indoor mall, even the lovely one-level ones. Outdoor malls blow.

One of my favorite haunts, Lakeside Mall, is getting replaced with this monstrosity in 2024:

Truly the gooniest post

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm in that sweet spot of millennial where I remember many brick n mortar stores and all of them sucking rear end

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Ups_rail posted:

did people ever come in to buy a light timer cause they are going on vacation, and then you end the sale by asking for their address?

no, only asked for address for returns. There were alot of returns

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

20 Blunts posted:

I'm in that sweet spot of millennial where I remember many brick n mortar stores and all of them sucking rear end

Hello fellow 90s baby.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Does anyone remember clover? It was kind of like a kmart or something, but more quaint. I mostly only remember the name and not the actual clover experience

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

Hello fellow 90s baby.

if you were a 90s baby all you saw was your mom arguing with retail.
You don't have a say in this

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Doctor J Off posted:

Does anyone remember clover? It was kind of like a kmart or something, but more quaint. I mostly only remember the name and not the actual clover experience

I have vague memories of the clover

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

free hubcaps posted:

Newbury Comics is still around but last time I went there they had massively reduced their formerly huge stock of used cds/dvds to make room for shelves of funkopops. So RIP.

this is the fate of pretty much every comic book store, which is why they're dying

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ez8 posted:

Hills department store. I used to beg my mom to buy me Atari 2600 games there.
Came to post this.

A lot of my childhood back to school and Christmas shopping happened there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All of them. I hate this asocial poo poo. As bad as this poo poo was at promoting bad urban design it was far better than what we have now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My most nostalgic retail-based childhood memory is probably when Toys R Us kept all the video games in the layaway room near checkout, and the video game isles were rows of info cards with tickets under them that you would take to the cashier and then redeem at the layaway counter. Not sure if every Toys R Us did this, but it made getting a video game feel more special than just taking it from the shelf like other toys. Ours stopped doing this around 1999.

Also while I think the act of going somewhere to get an item has value, it’s not so much this that I miss, since you can still do that but you’re mostly limited to the same handful of big box stores. I think what I miss more is specialty stores. Buying a thing at a store specializing in that thing is more of an experience than say, getting it during your Target run.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think what I miss more is specialty stores. Buying a thing at a store specializing in that thing is more of an experience than say, getting it during your Target run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUDwj_mXKE

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Oh, J.J. Newberry's, the last of the dime stores.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
There is a magician shop down the street from where I live and I've never seen a single car there ever.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

Fry's Electronics.

Before Amazon it was incredible. It had everything.

This, absolutely.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

unknown butthole posted:

There is a magician shop down the street from where I live and I've never seen a single car there ever.

they would ride their brooms there dummy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

unknown butthole posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know how to cast dimension door

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know how to cast dimension door

yeah, but he's asking about dimension parking lot

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Growing up in NW Calgary in the late 80’s/early 90’s there used to be a small video game rental store in a mini mall. Nothing fancy, peg board walls of Nintendo and Sega games, and consoles to rent. It was eventually lost to Rogers Video and blockbuster video.

Years later I learn from my parents they knew the people who owned it. I was too young to realize that several of the workers were developmentally disabled. The family had created this small store for their disabled son and his companions to have jobs. It was run as a business and held its own for years.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My most nostalgic retail-based childhood memory is probably when Toys R Us kept all the video games in the layaway room near checkout, and the video game isles were rows of info cards with tickets under them that you would take to the cashier and then redeem at the layaway counter. Not sure if every Toys R Us did this, but it made getting a video game feel more special than just taking it from the shelf like other toys. Ours stopped doing this around 1999.

Also while I think the act of going somewhere to get an item has value, it’s not so much this that I miss, since you can still do that but you’re mostly limited to the same handful of big box stores. I think what I miss more is specialty stores. Buying a thing at a store specializing in that thing is more of an experience than say, getting it during your Target run.

holy poo poo I remember as child having to do this too! It was a bright yellow paper/card with the video game name on it and you had to bring it to the layaway counter. Yes this definitely made it feel like a special experience when buying a video game opposed to another toy.

I remember one time almost purchasing the wrong game, as I was with my mother and not paying attention when the store employee handed her the game and we were almost out of the store before I realize it was the wrong one.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

It’s. Super Great Depression oh yeahhhhhhh

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I miss I ❤️ Video so much. The perfect video store. Gone forever.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Doppler Computers was a magical place for a PC gamer in the early 90's.

Very Vancouver-centric, but I miss "MultiMedia Software". They were a literal hole in the wall place that specialized entirely in PC games. They'd have all sorts of obscure stuff, used games from before CDkeys killed that market and they always broke street date.

One day they just up and closed. The door was locked, stock was still on the shelves and over the next few months mail just piled up at the door. They would have never survived the modern digital era and when they closed consoles were really starting to kill the PC market but I miss them never the less. :(

NCIX was fun until the guy in charge went crazy and tried to expand the chain across Canada all at once. Oh well, Memory Express is a suitable replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

HAmbONE posted:

Growing up in NW Calgary in the late 80’s/early 90’s there used to be a small video game rental store in a mini mall. Nothing fancy, peg board walls of Nintendo and Sega games, and consoles to rent. It was eventually lost to Rogers Video and blockbuster video.

Years later I learn from my parents they knew the people who owned it. I was too young to realize that several of the workers were developmentally disabled. The family had created this small store for their disabled son and his companions to have jobs. It was run as a business and held its own for years.

wait wait wait
Calgary is big enough to have sections?