Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Did one run with The Hermit the other day.

Finally ready to try this Downfall out...

Died in Act 1 before I even got to the boss.

Going to take some information gathering.

Man this game is just the best ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any mobile game recommendations while I'm waiting for this game to get fixed on Android 13? For whatever reason it crashes when switching to another app

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Any mobile game recommendations while I'm waiting for this game to get fixed on Android 13? For whatever reason it crashes when switching to another app

Slice and Dice. Goon made game where you take a party of five through a run of 20 fights as you accumulate loot and promote your classes.

The demo is free with a one time cost to unlock the full game. It has no micro transactions.

The only downside is there is currently no iOS port, but since you're running Android that's not an issue.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Gyshall posted:

Seconding slice and dice, the game play loop lends itself to shorter sessions on mobile as well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thirding Slice & Dice!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Metal Meltdown posted:

Slice and Dice. Goon made game where you take a party of five through a run of 20 fights as you accumulate loot and promote your classes.

Slice and Dice is goon made? That's awesome, I've been really enjoying it and this makes it even better.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just got Silent to A17 by beating Time Eater. Got Happy Flower from Neow, took Bouncing Flask on Floor 1 and got a Corpse Explosion in an early question mark. Never found Catalyst and it was a close call a few times. I even got down to 1 hit point after 3 Slavers. I also ended up with Sundial and Lantern so there were some fights I started with 7 energy and I had an Adrenaline if I needed more.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been puttering around with a few runs after not really playing the game for a couple years and just won (for only my third time!) with a scuffed-as-hell A20 Silent run!

You know it was scuffed because I took Tiny House at the end of Act 2 :sweatdrop:

Buying Ice Cream at the start of Act 2 with no additional energy generation ended up being extremely important, Pocketwatch is still supremely underrated, and Dead Branch saved my rear end from certain death at least five separate times. Crazy run, absolutely a blast. Was very amused that I got both Kunai and Ornamental Fan on a run with Pocketwatch, but I ended up getting some value out of them anyway. Looking back at it apparently I took 0 damage throughout all of Act 3 until the bosses, but every fight was tense as hell.

Slay the Spire is good, y'all.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A20s double bosses for Defect is loving me up because time eater kills my claw decks and awakened one kills my power decks and beyond that Im out of ideas for defect.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Oh it's Android 13? I just noticed the same thing on my OnePlus 9P.

Not sure I'd hold my breath. Last updated April 2021 and a bunch of bugs and glitches have been ignored. I can't believe the long sync on load has never been addressed.

edit: maybe time to transfer my save back to PC and I can just stream it when playing at home.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

massive spider posted:

A20s double bosses for Defect is loving me up because time eater kills my claw decks and awakened one kills my power decks and beyond that Im out of ideas for defect.

Inserter mass orb decks

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Sometimes the solution to double-boss can be as simple as sitting on a potion that will give you the boost you need should the worst-case second boss pop up. Like, maybe a focus potion will boost your frost orb block enough to counter Awakened One's strength buffs. Maybe a combo like Clockwork Souvenir and a flex potion (so that you keep the +5 STR) will boost your damage enough to take down Time Eater before their strength gets out of hand. Maybe a capacity potion lets you hold enough frost orbs that, along with your Focus source, you can build up enough block that Time Eater basically can't hurt you and you can whittle them down.

Watching high-level streamers is neat for this sort of thing, because they'll make decks that can win against the "hard counter" boss, often by doing something clever/resourceful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If Awakened One is killing your power decks you simply don't have enough powers. :twisted:

More broadly speaking, if a particular boss totally counters a deck then it's entirely possible your decks aren't as flexible and fleshed out as they really ought to be.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have gone from "my deck is hard countered" to "bro look at the top of the map you had a whole rear end act to prepare bro"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i have gone from "my deck is hard countered" to "bro look at the top of the map you had a whole rear end act to prepare bro"

The worst is when you look at the top of the map, see an Act 3 boss who can potentially counter your deck, and remember you took Busted Crown as your Act 2 reward because the other two sucked and you were confident that your deck was complete :negative:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Also people chuck around "hard countered" way too much. A lot of the time you can still beat Time Eater with shiv decks and Awakened One with power-heavy decks as long as you play them carefully (eg don't play all your powers on the first two turns just because you happened to draw them, and maybe don't play some of them at all)

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 21, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Personally, I prefer to build mediocre decks with no plan that lose to the second boss no matter who it is, even if by some miracle they manage to defeat the Act 2 boss.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nrook posted:

Personally, I prefer to build mediocre decks with no plan that lose to the second boss no matter who it is, even if by some miracle they manage to defeat the Act 2 boss.

quit giving away all my strategy secrets

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I managed to die with Dead Branch last night because Snecko Eye betrayed me. Very sad. :(

Praise Snecko, my brethren.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also potions exist. a lot of them are real good

unless you took sozu bro don't take sozu

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Just pick the good cards lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theshim posted:

I managed to die with Dead Branch last night because Snecko Eye betrayed me. Very sad. :(

Praise Snecko, my brethren.

If you win with Snecko, Snecko gave you the win. If you lose with Snecko, you would have lost anyway and Snecko just saved you some time. PRAISE SNECKO!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Both Dead Branch and Snecko can hand you a win, but when Dead Branch does it, I feel like I can take more credit for it, since I chose the exhaust cards, and chose to when exhaust the exhaust cards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i feel cheated at my last run never dropping a Rupture so i could get the legendary Rupture + Blue Candle + Curse of the Necronomicon build going, because that one is incredibly fun

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Snecko giveth and Snecko taketh away; blessed be the name of the Snecko

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I finally got my first heartkill on the Silent, but even with like 25+ relics it took a little savescumming to get the spoon relic to save my poison triple card which ended up being the win condition in the end.

I think a big issue I have is that I keep forgetting which relics I have, so I end up squandering energy when I have the ice cream relic, etc.

Still, a win is a win. I've been frustrated for months now not ever seeing a heartkill, so at least that's off my conscience now.

E: picture before killing blow showing my relic collection:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 22, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Every time I've ever been stuck on an ascension, snecko always broke my losing streak. Snecko was the reason for my first A20 Silent win. I felt like it was cheating so I had to get a 2nd win without it.

Also, Downfall is awesome. All the characters are fun, I love how all the events are changed, and everything is OP enough to be fun without being too hard. But I can't get my head around Hexaghost. I feel like advancing your ghostflame is one of the main themes, but doesn't seem strong enough to build around. Soulburn seems powerful, but not as good as poison. There's an exhaust/ethereal/afterlife theme there too but I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do. I just don't seem to know what to build around. I got the Broken Seal once and that was pretty funny but I feel like that's more of a meme, though some of the seals can be useful.

I feel like I can just about get all the other characters though. In particular, I love the Automaton and the Gremlins

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think people are too hard on themselves with Snecko in saying that runs with it are "cheating" or don't count. I know because I am one of those people. Sure you can just blindly do whatever with it in low ascension but up past 18 you absolutely need to draft carefully with it, be very careful with your potions, and honestly be even more careful about elites than you would be without it--you need to be sure you can weather a few bad hands even if you have the cards you need to beat them. Specifically, can you survive a bad first or second hand against Repto? Or maybe not survive, but can you afford taking 40 damage for that relic? Anyway, all I'm saying is that I really don't think it's quite as much of a "now I win" relic as it's made out to be and people should still give themselves credit for winning with it. Praise Snecko.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

A Moose posted:

Every time I've ever been stuck on an ascension, snecko always broke my losing streak. Snecko was the reason for my first A20 Silent win. I felt like it was cheating so I had to get a 2nd win without it.

Also, Downfall is awesome. All the characters are fun, I love how all the events are changed, and everything is OP enough to be fun without being too hard. But I can't get my head around Hexaghost. I feel like advancing your ghostflame is one of the main themes, but doesn't seem strong enough to build around. Soulburn seems powerful, but not as good as poison. There's an exhaust/ethereal/afterlife theme there too but I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do. I just don't seem to know what to build around. I got the Broken Seal once and that was pretty funny but I feel like that's more of a meme, though some of the seals can be useful.

Hexaghost is my least favorite Downfall character, for roughly the reasons you describe. There is a LOT of power in those seals, but to extract it, you need a solid defense. Luckily one of the seals gives you more card rewards. If it comes together, I try to milk rewards from seals until one of the act 3 non-scaling fights, then trade in the seals for the Broken Seal.

I've had good success with the afterlife recursion theme, and using a few good afterlife cards as an engine. Soulburn, and the basic soulburn card are 90% hot garbage because they suck at front loading and quick AE damage. The best uses for ghostflames that I've found are dancing back and forth for forced ignitions, and figuring out how to ignite the +str one over and over.

Overall, the character feels like an over complicated mess without good payoff. All my downfall characters are at A17-20, except hexaghost at A7.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

jetz0r posted:

Overall, the character feels like an over complicated mess without good payoff.

This is how I feel about most, if not all, of the Downfall characters.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Hermit is easily the smoothest experience of any of the Downfall characters, and even then it takes a while to get the hang of how their power scaling works.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mcvey posted:

I think Slime Boss, Snecko, and Automaton are pretty simple overall. Or at least only about as complicated as the base game characters.

Gremlin Mob, Guardian, Champ, Hermit and Hexaghost are the ones that feel way too finicky to me

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Gremlin Mob is really fun IMO. I always just draft around hulking out one gremlin tho. Wizard and fat gremlin both have some fun builds.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Gremlins are super fun, mostly because of Wiz and bonus strength from angry gremlin. If you can get a multi hit attack, then you can do some crazy poo poo. Or get bonus strength and a bunch of shivs on the sneaky gremlin. Gremlins are capable of some absolutely nasty burst turns. It also seems like there's a bunch of support for the fat gremlin spamming weak on everything with shivs. Gremlins seem to be about being able to swap to the right gremlin at the right time. Also being able to tank damage by just swapping in one that you're not using to take a massive hit is an interesting possibility.

Automaton is fun because eventually your deck is just these super powerful combo cards after a few turns of set up. I think it rewards small decks the most, without losing to status cards because you have cards that can make use of them. Stuff like that innate card that grabs an encode card, or Spaghetti Code, and other cards that generate random encode cards let you fill your deck with powerful functions. The encode cards are slightly weak on their own, but there's enough support that you don't need to cast them to get them encoded every time (like the one that scrys and encodes any encode cards you would discard), and by combining them, you thin out your deck quickly.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Gremlins feels like a character that Lifecoach would have a 97% win rate with.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You don't need to take snecko eye if you only take 0 cost cards

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mcvey posted:

Too complicated, sure. But they mostly have a good pay off if you jump through the hoops. Hexaghost has you jump through hoops to get 12 damage in 3 turns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Hermit is easily the smoothest experience of any of the Downfall characters, and even then it takes a while to get the hang of how their power scaling works.

That's because the Hermit isn't a Downfall character. It was designed separately by someone else, and only later added to Downfall when it became an official TC mod.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Jedit posted:

That's because the Hermit isn't a Downfall character. It was designed separately by someone else, and only later added to Downfall when it became an official TC mod.

Yes, he’s more from the highly popular Uprise version of slay.

Hold your applause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I did it, I finally beat the heart with a searing blow deck. Abacus was the mvp tho.