Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

How could I set up a Clothes warehouse that local DOs take from to fill domestic stores but an export DO will start exporting once the warehouse is over 50% full.

I don’t think this works

Literally like that, set a DO to pick up at any level, send to stores, and then another DO to pick up at 50% full, send to border. They cannot be the same DO because you can't make specific orders conditional, so if you set it to unload at the border and the stores it will just pick them at random or something, there is no method to set one destiation for >50% fullness and one for otherwise except for making two separate DOs with one of those loading/unloading behaviours in each.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have the warehouse connected to a road cargo station . Would that gently caress it up ? The export DO is exporting everything even tho I have it set to 50%

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it should work fine through road cargo stations.

It's the source % that needs to be set to 50%

Also are you absolutely sure your other DO is not set up to interact with the border and it's also technically set up to allow exports of clothes?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A road station shouldn't mess it up, same with loaders, etc. Post your setup I guess?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got it working

I was getting confused because the export DO trucks were immediately doing stuff as soon as I connected the buildings and before I could set the cutoff to 50% or whatever. I recall teleported them back to the export DO and they behaved thereafter

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

I got it working

I was getting confused because the export DO trucks were immediately doing stuff as soon as I connected the buildings and before I could set the cutoff to 50% or whatever. I recall teleported them back to the export DO and they behaved thereafter

Very easy mistake to make, I get weirdly anal about pausing if I make any changes to DO rules like that for just this reason.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There's some crusher of a bug building railways where you have "snap" turned on and connect two existing snapped nodes. I think the game believes it overconstrained and can't handle it. Saving every drat minute trying to build a railyard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

The rest of the dumb city that has taken forever (but is fun )

It’s grown

Not even attempting trains yet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So just a little tip, do your underground things in small segments where you end each segment at a major slope change. I didn't find out until it was way too late why these cables were taking so long.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

So just a little tip, do your underground things in small segments where you end each segment at a major slope change. I didn't find out until it was way too late why these cables were taking so long.

... Yes, this is pretty crucial. Frustratingly there's no "cripes, just make the trench 2m deep the whole way" option to do it for you (or even approximate it)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

... Yes, this is pretty crucial. Frustratingly there's no "cripes, just make the trench 2m deep the whole way" option to do it for you (or even approximate it)

I don’t know how I’ve managed to avoid running into this behavior so far but I guess usually my buried lines are on pre-flattened ground for a city.

Don’t get me wrong the behavior makes sense but it’s just another one of those W&R brain damages you have to know.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This has been a really slow save but I've been really digging it so far. I took some time to decorate a block of flats with all the fancy yards and ploppable sidewalks/sidewalk "junk" like benches and all that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This has been a really slow save but I've been really digging it so far. I took some time to decorate a block of flats with all the fancy yards and ploppable sidewalks/sidewalk "junk" like benches and all that.

Has the whole snappable grid thing been helpful here? I would have to assume so, but the fact that the grid can't be realigned seems to demand that every city have an exact orientation rather than a relative one, so instead of being able to orient parallel to the river, they're oriented at a weird angle instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See, this is wrong, because a direct line from A to B uses the least amount of steel, the fact that it also takes a hundred thousand workdays to complete is irrelevant, the people's steel is a finite resource, the people's sweat is endless.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

See, this is wrong, because a direct line from A to B uses the least amount of steel, the fact that it also takes a hundred thousand workdays to complete is irrelevant, the people's steel is a finite resource, the people's sweat is endless.

This isn't a bad take during the first few years, to be honest. The cost of steel far outweighs the cost of the people who otherwise don't have industry to work yet, so manpower-heavy decisions for construction actually isn't a bad idea yet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Has the whole snappable grid thing been helpful here? I would have to assume so, but the fact that the grid can't be realigned seems to demand that every city have an exact orientation rather than a relative one, so instead of being able to orient parallel to the river, they're oriented at a weird angle instead.

No, but that’s a personal failing. I forgot to try and work with that when I started building, but often enough the spacing I want between buildings or even buildings themselves not being a perfect 5/10m divisible width means that it ends up being pretty hard to use it heavily anyway.

On the other hand it’s absolutely great for getting roads absolutely straight which makes it a whole hell of a lot easier to then deal with getting things aligned nicely in blocks while working “freehand.”

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Volmarias posted:

This isn't a bad take during the first few years, to be honest. The cost of steel far outweighs the cost of the people who otherwise don't have industry to work yet, so manpower-heavy decisions for construction actually isn't a bad idea yet.

Except you need that pipe up and working by autumn of the first year and you simply don't have that kind of man hours available at that point.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hello, I have bought and installed this game and am ready for brain damage. Are there any must-have mods I should install before starting?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smaller everything. If there is a building try and get the smaller version. Imho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably put it on the latest experimental build in steam for the new features, it's pretty stable I find. Otherwise if you do that, probably no as they added the new conveyor tower options that should hopefully make building those easier.

E: oh yeah you could consider small industries and services if you want, the game does kinda have some pretty big buildings for your early settlements.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

euphronius posted:

Smaller everything. If there is a building try and get the smaller version. Imho.
Except the kindergarten, right? Then you want a much larger one as I remember.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I have a silly question. Considering that we're building a Soviet republic, what happens in-game in 1989?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nothing, since your republic is actually well built

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nothing, since your republic is actually well built

Bold of you to assume that.

The game keeps going once you reach the 90s, I just consider it a personal deadline, which is why I do a 1960 start.

For your first game, turn off crime, loyalty, water/sewage, possibly traffic, and turn down citizen reactions. You may want to set other settings down as well. Pick the easy financial start, since you'll almost certainly abandon your first game, and you WILL spend a bunch of money just learning how things work.

For mods, along with smaller versions of things, there's a 3->3 sewage switch that IMO is absolutely vital once you decide to try playing with sewage enabled. The mods around conveyor systems are mostly unnecessary now that you can actually elevate the tower systems yourself. DO pick up mods that allow for factory connection crossings with roads and rails. You may want to get some churches, since they can't be built otherwise (:ussr:) and you might want to play around with that. I find the mods of additional electric transformers and switches (such as, but not limited to this one) absolutely vital, along with the one that has 4-way electric junctions for both mid and high electric, etc.

Play around a little, then browse the workshop. Bear in mind that there are a lot of workshop items to handle previously missing or broken functionally, which are no longer relevant.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 20, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly while all the mod reccs are good the only thing I might reccommend is “mid-height conveyor towers” and then just learn how the game works. This might change if you’re very confident and not overwhelmed by these sorts of games but a few people I’ve introduced the game to got way overwhelmed by mods, not really realizing how the buildings worked yet.

There’s arguably nothing truly must have when you’re learning the game (and experience would tell me you’re going to restart about 50 times) so my advice would be learn a bit and then go back and grab small industries and things.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Turn off fires for the first (and every) playthrough, too, imo

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Don't you LIKE building entire towns solely to support the fire station to cover your oil pumps?!?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean that is pretty realistic and seems balanced against how stupidly profitable oil is

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hailthefish posted:

Don't you LIKE building entire towns solely to support the fire station to cover your oil pumps?!?!

Fire stations of just helicopters require 0 people and 0 heating :getin:

Just realized we need a Lenin version of getin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On my recent cosmo run I was planning on using helicopters for fire. Hahah you can’t import helicopters afaict.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly I kind of like playing with fires on the low setting just for the effect of keeping me honest about supporting infrastructure.

I wouldn't ever put it on high though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

On my recent cosmo run I was planning on using helicopters for fire. Hahah you can’t import helicopters afaict.

Of course you can, they can fly.

If all else fails build a separate helipad and try from there, or buy from beyond the borders and manually assign them to your fire station.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah fires are fairly boring and binary other than they do really serve the “can’t just outgrow yourself wildly” check for distant things unless you get helicopters.

They should never be on high though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

You buy them from the helipad, and they fly there. I've been doing it in Cosmonaut so it definitely works.

The one that butters my biscuit is that you're unable to import track builders at all beyond a certain size. Forget needing to be disabled, they aren't allowed to just chug themselves in. I'm not sure how you are supposed to get them except to build them at a rail construction plant.

Also, does anyone know how the happiness mechanic works? Does it just go by a combination of access to things and needs satisfaction? It's very unclear why some citizens are unhappy. I've even started putting down restaurants and amusements to see what that does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

You buy them from the helipad, and they fly there. I've been doing it in Cosmonaut so it definitely works.

The one that butters my biscuit is that you're unable to import track builders at all beyond a certain size. Forget needing to be disabled, they aren't allowed to just chug themselves in. I'm not sure how you are supposed to get them except to build them at a rail construction plant.

Yes you can, buy them at the border and reassign them to the construction office if you can't buy them directly from the CO. I literally bought the big blue one as soon as I had a rail connection from the CO to the border.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I never saw a helicopter available to by at a border office

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

I never saw a helicopter available to by at a border office

You don't buy them at the border office, there is a pair of little boxes on the right hand side of the screen that are the "beyond the border" offices, the place where ships and aircraft go when you send them off map. You can click on them and buy basically anything in the game there, and then either issue the vehicles commands if they can move under their own power, or collect them using vehicles which can travel beyond the border.

So, for aircraft, you either need a helipad not attached to anything (as if you buy a vehicle at a building, it needs to be able to dock with that building and border crossings do not have helipads attached therefore you cannot buy helicopters at them, a fire station with a helipad attached should work too but if not just use a generic helipad) or you need to buy them from "beyond the border" and tell them to move to a new depot, i.e either a helipad or a fire station with helipad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah I never thought to buy vehicles there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can buy anything from there, including boats, it's designed to allow you to do an island start provided you have at least a basic port built at the start. Not sure if it will let you buy a port with roubles for a few days at the start like it does some other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

You don't buy them at the border office, there is a pair of little boxes on the right hand side of the screen that are the "beyond the border" offices, the place where ships and aircraft go when you send them off map. You can click on them and buy basically anything in the game there, and then either issue the vehicles commands if they can move under their own power, or collect them using vehicles which can travel beyond the border.

:wtc:

ok this bears further investigation, I was just hitting buy vehicle at the border stations