Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Countblanc posted:

A paralyzed Mabosstiff, very lore appropriate

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

what's up with the effective/supereffective being visible in the attack menu? It seems to turn on/off at random.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Maschiff looked really doofy at first until I saw his Pokedex entry: "It always scowls in an attempt to make opponents take it seriously, but even crying children will burst into laughter when they see Maschiff’s face."

I then felt bad for the lil fella and added it to my team. :smith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

what's up with the effective/supereffective being visible in the attack menu? It seems to turn on/off at random.

It's there if you're fighting a mon you've previously encountered

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

It depends on whether or not you've encountered that Pokemon before.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

If it’s your first time fighting a Pokemon, it won’t show up. It shows up in every fight with that Pokemon afterward.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Asked and answered. Thanks!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a nice medium between making players memorize the type chart and letting players get wrecked by a sudowoodo because they thought it was grass type.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love Maschiff. I know a red mastiff and they always look so tragic. Exactly like they're about to say 'please take me seriously right now :(' And the one I know is huge, and also terrified of everything, so will try to get in your lap. I love her.

My mice evolved and now there are four of them. I kinda wish it would keep going TBH. I feel so excited playing this, it's just - tech issues aside (and I've been lucky that way), it's so *fun*. It's so *Pokemon*. I feel like I'm on an adventure. I wanted a stronger water type so I headed for water and there they were. This is almost exactly what I wanted. I'm not even minding having to fight to capture any more since the mice got Thunder Wave and Super Fang.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doin' a Nuzlocke run and I already lost my third catch 'cause I apparently don't know Wooper's type well enough.

That and it had Poison Point.

It's definitely interesting being able to see the guys on the map, both for some control over who to maybe try to catch but also for avoiding battles.

I do like the idea of no-faint autobattle if I were interested in gaining levels, but right now my priority is the opposite.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I still have no idea what the gently caress fairy typing is

I've played every game since it was introduced and none of it or it's combinations stick

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s been a thing in the franchise since at least SuMo (but only against Pokémon you’ve encountered already). It’s pretty handy to be honest

Anyway finally got to actually play this and it’s fun so far (the story and characters are also much more enjoyable than SwSh). I kind of wish they’d kept the feature from Arceus where you could just chuck balls at Pokémon from the overworld without having to initiate a battle first but it’s not a dealbreaker or anything

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The new way to pass egg moves onto Pokemon already in your party is fantastic. Gave my Cyclizar Power Whip and it took all of 3 seconds.

God I hope they keep this going forward.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fairy doesn’t really fear anything besides Steel and Poison. Other than Fire resisting Fairy moves, Fairy will be at least neutral to/against anything else.

It’s a pretty busted type.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

They might just spawn randomly with the rest of the herd in the areas they spawn, I found a blaze one in with 5 regular tauros over near the port market on the western side of the map

Yeah, that's where I finally found it. I think it might be exclusively found over there cause I could not find it with the Tauros on the east for the life of me.

On a related note, does anyone wanna trade me their Aqua Tauros for a Blaze Tauros?

FC: SW-3043-5706-1815

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Been playing a physical copy on handheld and I feel like i've dodged a bullet with the worst of the jank. Aside from occasional slowdown of npcs in the distance, phasing through doors once or twice, and the camera slightly dipping into a the ground once during a battle I haven't gotten anything really and I'm grateful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You can remember fairy by thinking about fiction. They're weak to steel because fairies can't stand cold iron and they're weak to poison like Tinkerbell drinking the poison in Peter Pan.

I know they're strong against dragon but I'm sure there's more about them I'm forgetting

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HopperUK posted:

You can remember fairy by thinking about fiction. They're weak to steel because fairies can't stand cold iron and they're weak to poison like Tinkerbell drinking the poison in Peter Pan.

I know they're strong against dragon but I'm sure there's more about them I'm forgetting

They're also strong against Dark and Fighting and resist Bug/Dark/Fighting. Also resisted by Fire/Poison/Steel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

The new way to pass egg moves onto Pokemon already in your party is fantastic. Gave my Cyclizar Power Whip and it took all of 3 seconds.

God I hope they keep this going forward.

How does this work exactly

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

How does this work exactly

Have a Pokemon in the party with the egg move you want to pass on, does not need to be in the same egg group
Have an empty move slot on the Pokemon you want to learn the egg move
Have the Pokemon you want to learn the egg move holding a mirror herb (which you can buy in Cascarrafa if you don't have one)

Then just start a picnic and the Pokemon instantly learns it. You can just quit out immediately.

I just shoved some candy into a Stenee to evolve her, had her remember Power Whip as its a level 1 move for Tsarina and then deleted U-Turn on Cyclizar and gave it the mirror herb.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

It's a nice medium between making players memorize the type chart and letting players get wrecked by a sudowoodo because they thought it was grass type.

I to this day have no idea what beats Fairy, or what Steel beats, aside form Ice. It's a nice feature for being lazy about generations old new types.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kiminewt posted:

Why do people turn off autosave? In case they fail to catch something and want to go back to a save?

Anyway I finished the first gym and then tried going to the sixth cuz gently caress it. Turn out I can't! Open world my rear end.

Anyway, it seems that the open path is kind of a lie and I'm supposed to just do all the poo poo in order. I wanted to first do all the gyms but then the rest of the stuff will be way too easy and thus boring?

There's a trick you can use to get to the psychic gym early.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Just got through the desert zone to the west town. I appreciate them putting mazes back in the game, after all the routes in sword/shield that were barely disguised corridors. I like a good maze.

Me and Arven are apparently a pretty decent team. We finished off the Titan in only two turns.

Saw a Klawf hanging from a wall. Only problem was, it was two or three feet clear of the wall, hanging in the air.

My team now has 5 mons in it, I added Barbecute the Charcadet.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

There's no penalty for catching high-level 'mons, they just aren't likely to obey you until you get enough badges (one badge starts at level 20 and then each subsequent one is +5 levels, with 8 unlocking full control)

oh okay that's cool. i feel like i remember the s/s wild area and i think bdsp also had penalties to the catching formula if you were facing osmething higher level than you

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've played every game since it was introduced and none of it or it's combinations stick

Fairy was Game Freak's attempt at realizing the Dragon type was way too busted and decided to, somehow, make an even more busted type.

It immediately became my favorite type, too.

All you need to remember is to keep them the absolute gently caress away from Poison and Steel types and you're good, it'll do well against pretty much anything else except, like, Fire.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Just got through the desert zone to the west town. I appreciate them putting mazes back in the game, after all the routes in sword/shield that were barely disguised corridors. I like a good maze.

Me and Arven are apparently a pretty decent team. We finished off the Titan in only two turns.

Saw a Klawf hanging from a wall. Only problem was, it was two or three feet clear of the wall, hanging in the air.

My team now has 5 mons in it, I added Barbecute the Charcadet.

Finding a charcadet is an absolute motherfucker in this game. For presumably being everywhere they're extremely hard to find. Kinda had to give up my dreams of using a ceruledge because the one I caught has a modest nature. She's too well suited (heh) to being an armarouge.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

Finding a charcadet is an absolute motherfucker in this game. For presumably being everywhere they're extremely hard to find. Kinda had to give up my dreams of using a ceruledge because the one I caught has a modest nature. She's too well suited (heh) to being an armarouge.

I spent like 30 minutes looking for one when the map said there was one nearby. The map is a liar.

I then managed to get a Poison Tera one from a raid shortly after I gave up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Borsche69 posted:

oh okay that's cool. i feel like i remember the s/s wild area and i think bdsp also had penalties to the catching formula if you were facing osmething higher level than you

There are noticeable penalties, but nothing that can't be overcome. I got a team of level 40-44s before even starting the plot stuff.

It was incredibly stupid that I couldn't then have them turn around and fight the even bigger bosses and had to take them back to lower level zones for them to be halfway functional

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flopsy posted:

One just ambled up to me in the starting area just after Los Platos. Meanwhile can I find a bounsweet? I cannot. I've got a Steenee I'm just gonna breed it instead.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Finding a charcadet is an absolute motherfucker in this game.

I was also having issues finding one until I looked more into game mechanics. The "Encounter Power" meal buffs do have a noticeable boost to spawn rates. I went from seeing 1 Charcadet over 10 hours of gameplay into seeing dozens of them on a run between Pokecenters.

There's a fire meal you can buy at Medali, at one of the Asian looking eateries.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got used to it pretty quick.

They're resistant towards and strong against Dark and Fighting because Dark and Fighting are the "combat style" types. But direct combat, whether fair or dirty, leaves you vulnerable to a fairy's tricksy wiles.

They're ineffective against and weak towards Poison and Steel because as sylvan creatures, fairies are vulnerable to pollution and deforestation. Turns out the real Dark type, was man :(

They're strong against and immune to Dragons because gen 4 and 5 dragons were an outrageous design mistake and they needed to be knocked down a peg. I was there and it was funny, but they really did have it coming lol

They're weak/strong to other random types because GF thinks it's funny when players get randomly dicked over.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Larry's gym Did I just kill all those people in that restaurant?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Does anyone know if time based evos go by system clock or by time in-game? In-game seems to cycle pretty quickly through day and night now, not matched to real world time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Flopsy posted:

wait, really?

hm. probably should've gone out of my way to catch more when i got a mass outbreak, instead of auto-battling the lot of them to death looking for a shiny

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Doin' a Nuzlocke run and I already lost my third catch 'cause I apparently don't know Wooper's type well enough.

That and it had Poison Point.

It's definitely interesting being able to see the guys on the map, both for some control over who to maybe try to catch but also for avoiding battles.

I do like the idea of no-faint autobattle if I were interested in gaining levels, but right now my priority is the opposite.

the brown regional Wooper's type is different in this gen, there's an npc in one of the towns that'll trade you one for a Wooper Classic

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking back before I maybe buy thos, my biggest problem with brilliant pearl was that it felt like I had no motivation to use any pokom ex ept for my strongest, is that still true

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I honestly do appreciate that this game has some simpler Pokémon designs. Kinda nice to have "just a flamingo" and "just some mice, but more" again. Feels like a return to Gen 1 designs.

Also Clodsire is one of my new favorite Pokémon ever. It's perfect.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Flamigo is also a balloon animal. :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All the fire types have seemed rare as hens teeth in Scarlet, I'm two gyms deep and have still only found three. If you see one catch that sucker.

Keep an eye out for Numel, it doesn't look like a fire mon but it's a lifesaver early game

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sorry for harping on this, but having just unlocked all the movement upgrades, it's even more frustrating how empty the world is – despite so, so many items they have. I'm just exploring plateau's cause why not, and getting random tm's and such. Seems like such a lost opportunity to have had sidequests that would add a hair of meaning to this.

Also find myself wishing I had to engage with more of the mechanics. Finally figured out the use for food, but it's so peripheral that I've done so *once* despite so many restaurants in each town, food stuffs to get.

It's just a weird dichotomy. They created a poo poo ton of rewards, and a handful of systems to utilize em' in, but then just put them on a conveyer belt to your open mouth, instead of stuff you really earn.

Thinking a lot back to that fan game, Pokemon Unbound, that excels so much more in these regards. You end up talking to every NPC in each town because they actually tell you useful things, or give you small tasks. Each area has multiple sidequests that let you better engage with the places.

Nintendo please give Gamefreak more time :pray:. They're on the right course at least.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 20, 2022