Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

yes: children like things, but they are not entitled to them nor do they deserve them simply for existing. if your child has to take medicine then your child has to take medicine before they get to do or have the things they like. that's it, and that's the way it's been for all life on this planet since the beginning.

:hmmyes:

Y'all, spouse's approaching the normal range of 32-37 weeks for twins. It's getting real. Imagine we'll see the high end of that range since they're fraternal twins with separate sacks/placentas but it's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i am harry posted:

yes: children like things, but they are not entitled to them nor do they deserve them simply for existing. if your child has to take medicine then your child has to take medicine before they get to do or have the things they like. that's it, and that's the way it's been for all life on this planet since the beginning.

this doesn’t work on all children.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah my youngest will absolutely play the battle of wills and he will win. he's the most stubborn fucker on the planet.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

every kid in my family’s orbit is sick

my own kid has been dripping mucus and smoker’s coughing for the past month

it’s not even December yet lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Same

My kid started preschool this year so it's to be expected at least a little but apparently it's the same even for kids who have been to school before

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am harry posted:

yes the issue is that if he doesn't agree to take the medicine (liquid, in this case) he just spits it out or lets it dribble down his front. basically wasting it, can't really recover it. but it turns out he likes the way this medicine tastes so no problem this time around lol.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

can’t quote this enough

also what helped us at late night was buying bulbs that removed blue light. it made a difference in late night changing and feeding for all parties involved.

we weren’t blinded or disoriented at 3 am

My 6 and 4yo insist on sleeping with the lights on, I compromised and put a pink bulb in their lamp. If they could they'd just keep all the lights on all night, they're crazy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Medicine for kids is like 95% sugar by volume for a reason. Well two reasons, the sugar industry and making kids eat it.

4,5% is artificial strawberry too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah my youngest will absolutely play the battle of wills and he will win. he's the most stubborn fucker on the planet.

with the dosing syringe you can put it in the cheek pocket all the way to the back and squirt it behind the back teeth into the mouth.

this is extremely unpleasant for all involved.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
for a while we thought we were just pussies and being pushovers but we've had multiple teachers at this point tell us that he is without a doubt the most stubborn child they've ever worked with.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My 3 year old would like to challenge for this title

e: when he decided he didn't want to take some amoxicillin one time, the only solution that worked was to have my dad drive over to our house (only 10 minutes but still) and give it to him. Otherwise it was a screaming meltdown and spitting out anything we tried.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Insanite posted:

every kid in my family’s orbit is sick

my own kid has been dripping mucus and smoker’s coughing for the past month

it’s not even December yet lol

Huh this describes my kid exactly (I'm in London UK)

Kinda reassuring that it's not just him

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Huh this describes my kid exactly (I'm in London UK)

Kinda reassuring that it's not just him

my assumption is that it's a mix of luck and covid-related immune dysregulation but I Am Not An Immunologist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I sometimes forget what a liberal hippie bubble I live in and now I'm on vacation in South Chudistan watching two five year olds shooting at each other with capguns.

It looks so weird to me, like a different species.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I sometimes forget what a liberal hippie bubble I live in and now I'm on vacation in South Chudistan watching two five year olds shooting at each other with capguns.

Was Apple public in 1967? Buy their stock.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I hemmed and hawed but ultimately I let my older son use a light gun for a videogame and, fortunately, he was more than happy to play target shooting games like the clay shooter in Time Crisis.

Maybe when he's older he'll be ready for legit Time Crisis.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Trip report: medieval times is a mind-blower for a four year old holy poo poo.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we had an induction scheduled for monday but my wife went to the doctor today and they said she was already 4.5 cm dilated and 75% effaced so uhh maybe the baby will be born on thanksgiving instead. wish me luck folks!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we lost power in the middle of the night and my son woke up screaming because he couldn't see.

I went down to the basement where his room is and boy howdy was he right. absolute pitch black. like you'd think you were blind.

I guess they probably make nightlights with a battery backup?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there are a bunch of batteries powered night lights they can but in the bed that turn on with a push and off after 15 minutes. that worked for us.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo woke up around 1 am, sprinted to our bedroom to say she was done in her bed for the night then passed out in our bed.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lobster shirt posted:

we had an induction scheduled for monday but my wife went to the doctor today and they said she was already 4.5 cm dilated and 75% effaced so uhh maybe the baby will be born on thanksgiving instead. wish me luck folks!!!

This happened to us. My wife was 10 days overdue and had an induction scheduled by the doctor that we didn't know about yet. We showed up to the hospital and there was some confusion about why we were there for our induction 6 hours early, meanwhile my wife was screaming in pain and ripping her clothes off in the hallway. We laugh about it now.

Good luck!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

I need closure on this anecdote.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

SirPablo posted:

I need closure on this anecdote.

labor has not progressed, we are still at home, probably the baby is gonna be born on monday. been a very tense few days though lol.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Omg good luck!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
a cspam monday miracle

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

labor has not progressed, we are still at home, probably the baby is gonna be born on monday. been a very tense few days though lol.

Good luck to all :respek:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

Best of luck!

So I finally got that CD player boombox, a cheap CD burner, and a packet of CD-Rs for <$100, and it's been working out really well! I showed her how to handle and change the CDs, and she's pretty much got it all down except for putting the CDs back in the holder sleeves, and there's prints and scratches, but that's why we're using CD-Rs lol. She also took a day or so to figure out the operation of the boombox but took to the basics pretty easily. So far she's got a handful of CDs with Estelle, Michael Jackson, Lupe Fiasco, The Wiggles, and Raffi. I've got a bunch more to burn in the coming days and weeks, but any suggestions for other music?

I'm also trying to find audiobooks that I can burn to CD for her, but not sure where to start. Some regular storybooks would be fine but I'm wondering if there's anything specific to toddlers, preschool to kindergarten.

Speaking of, she starts preschool tomorrow :kimchi::byodood:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Best of luck!

So I finally got that CD player boombox, a cheap CD burner, and a packet of CD-Rs for <$100, and it's been working out really well! I showed her how to handle and change the CDs, and she's pretty much got it all down except for putting the CDs back in the holder sleeves, and there's prints and scratches, but that's why we're using CD-Rs lol. She also took a day or so to figure out the operation of the boombox but took to the basics pretty easily. So far she's got a handful of CDs with Estelle, Michael Jackson, Lupe Fiasco, The Wiggles, and Raffi. I've got a bunch more to burn in the coming days and weeks, but any suggestions for other music?

I'm also trying to find audiobooks that I can burn to CD for her, but not sure where to start. Some regular storybooks would be fine but I'm wondering if there's anything specific to toddlers, preschool to kindergarten.

Speaking of, she starts preschool tomorrow :kimchi::byodood:

https://librivox.org/

There are a ton here

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What do people do re: Santa these days?

Our girl is just four months so it's all academic for me, but is it possible to be honest with your kid without them torching other families' holiday magic?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Chad Sexington posted:

Our girl is just four months so it's all academic for me, but is it possible to be honest with your kid without them torching other families' holiday magic?

I just let my kid figure it out and take their lead. if they want Santa magic in their lives I’m not going to ruin it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Chad Sexington posted:

We tend to use the "Some people believe..." approach for things like this (Santa, Jesus, etc) without explicitly saying whether they exist or not and let the kids make up their own minds about it, while encouraging them to respect other kids' beliefs abut it.

Our 6yo is well aware that Santa is not real, but enjoys the trimmings of the holiday anyway. We get to explain that the stories around the holiday can add some fun to it and then explore different traditions around the world.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chad Sexington posted:

We're a mixed culture household and teaching him about Santa in the first place just seemed weird so we don't do it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
One of the perks of being a COVID shut-in is that we haven't had much opportunity to ruin holidays for others or have them ruined for us.

My head-canon is that Santa is real and I'm him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nice, thanks!

e: as far as Santa goes, we're nowhere close to that conversation yet, and I'll try to maintain some of the magic but I'm not going to lie to her.

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Nov 28, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah we don't talk about Santa beyond the yearly "hey write a list of stuff you'd like Santa to bring you" which serves as a fun writing exercise and helps us figure out what they want that they aren't asking me for explicitly.

my kids are starting to figure out the idea of the "fake Santa" so they're constantly judging any Santa's we see in public or on tv to determine their authenticity.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I said Santa is just "a nice story people like and it's rude to say he doesn't exist" and got in trouble with my wife who loves Christmas 🎄🎄🎄⛄🎄⛄🎄🎄🎄⛄

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hospital says we may need to wait 24-48 hours before we can come in for the induction -_____________-;;;

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

hospital says we may need to wait 24-48 hours before we can come in for the induction -_____________-;;;

that sucks, early labour and waiting around to get to the hospital is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my kid came home and asked about the elf on the shelf a friend had a couple years ago, December before the pandemic. I told him we don’t have an elf problem at our house because we put out bait and traps.