Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

hey, you just won $25 in Unrecognizable Reagan! That's like 1/15 of a Bloom!!

LOL congrats and some cables too if you want them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah right? As far as I can tell my payment has gone through but I haven't received tracking yet. So either I'm getting a hella cheap Microcosm or I just threw some money down a hole.

And the results are in: I just threw some money down a hole. Turns out this person has defrauded a number of people and now the Japanese cops are getting involved. Don't know if I'll ever get my money back, but when the Japanese cops get involved the person in question is usually turbo-hosed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God drat, that’s a rip. :allears:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
RD-9 arrived. Once i clean up all my poo poo and get and set up my kv gear stand, my studio will be usable

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Firefly BadCat

Double bound, flame maple top and back. So far so good for $227 shipped to my door.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

My Moog obsession continues unabated:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

NuclearPotato posted:

My Moog obsession continues unabated:

Yes hello allow me to envy your Subharmonicon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can't stop buying Joyo gear. I got the Zombie bantamp and it is filthy.

Getting that 8" Orange cabinet was a clutch purchase coz now I can try all these tiny amps.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I can't stop buying Joyo gear. I got the Zombie bantamp and it is filthy.

Getting that 8" Orange cabinet was a clutch purchase coz now I can try all these tiny amps.

I have their pocket metal pedal, and it's an instant "harsh and heavy, all the sustain" switch for synths.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I have their pocket metal pedal, and it's an instant "harsh and heavy, all the sustain" switch for synths.

I love the Baatsin pedal even tho I don't have it in my chain right now.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got my kvgear stand for all my little acid synths (and rd-6).

Very solid feeling stand, would recommend that company.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

Got my kvgear stand for all my little acid synths (and rd-6).

Very solid feeling stand, would recommend that company.

Wowsers

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

So chill.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Really really long story, condensed:

EVH used a Strat XII on a song called Cabo Wabo, one of the better tunes from Van Hagar off OU812 (not a great album IMHO). I decided I wanted a 12-string Strat, too; but I don't have $12k for a legit used one. What I did have was $266 to send to DHGate and wait for my bootleg Strat XII to arrive.
It did not arrive, dispute underway. Win some, lose some. It could possibly still show up I suppose.

In the meantime I learned about Cozart's 12 strings. They are a violin-making company that sells Strat and Tele 12-string kits, and you can find them assembled from the factory for under $150. So while I am waiting for my refund I ordered the Cozart 12-string Strat-style.

Before it got here, I bought a pickguard and loaded it with the V4 Noiseless pups from my Strat Elite, which I recently swapped out for Fralins. After much use of a drill and a dremel I've removed the old electronics and shoehorned the new pickguard on (only had to drill nine new holes) but it's playable and if you squint it looks ok. Sounds very sweet. This was very much a "I am probably just throwing money away" deal but I've been playing it and it seems to do what I want it to do. I doubt it will stay in tune but for recording, who cares? For live use, I might need it to last one whole song, maybe. I have not considered the expense of all new tuners, these are sealed and seem ok.

The online reviews (on YouTube) are easy to find so if you feel like chucking $150 at an electric 12 Strat/Tele style, just for shits, giggles, and "Wish You Were Here," I will recommend it. Modifying it will be a challenge, but lots of reviewers are enjoying theirs just fine stock. Looks good from a distance for a beater, but up close you can see the issues. Crappy fit and finish, cheapest everything.

My "Cabo Wabo" is "Black and Blue" (sorry sorry sorry)

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I've been debating one ever since I waited too long on the Alternate Reality series Fender Electric XIIs and hoping they would do a more affordable Squier version.

Now I'm tempted by the Firefly 12 string FF338 hollowbody in poopy brown here

Also tempted by their Baritone Tele, but the people that have gotten them are saying they are being sent with 9s or 10s so new strings will be needed to actually tune down and be playable. Also only a 27" scale, which I already have with my Squier Cabronita Baritone. I really should have held onto the Squier Baritone Jazzmaster I had, but tripling my money was probably smarter than keeping it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Really really long story, condensed:

EVH used a Strat XII on a song called Cabo Wabo, one of the better tunes from Van Hagar off OU812 (not a great album IMHO). I decided I wanted a 12-string Strat, too; but I don't have $12k for a legit used one.

...12k? how? is this the cost of some 1960s one-off or something? I have a 1987 MIJ 12-string strat as my one Actually Nice And Expensive Guitar, and it only cost me $1300 like a year ago.

or was there a missed decimal point there? like, not having 12k and not having 1.2k are both reasonable, I certainly don't have that kind of money on me at the moment, I'm just confused by the dollar amount cited

hexwren posted:

MIJ, circa `87-`88, one of the first SXII production runs. (Model introduced in 1988, serial number indicates 1987) My first non-budget-brand guitar. I'm going to have to get back into it and build up my hands again in order for it to really sing, but even unplugged it sounds better than basically anything else I've played.

I never thought I'd own a strat of any sort, tbh. My main guitar is a telecaster, sure, but that was a bit more of stumbling rear end over teakettle into a really good deal. I always figured I'd end up in some kind of humbucker zone for extreme gently caress-you noisemaking, but I've wanted a twelve-string basically since day one, and, well, I stumbled rear end over teakettle into this one being available.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 27, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

These replacement knobs for the Mavis are nice and make it easier to use, generally.

Tempi + Qx expander for Quadrax came a bit early which I believe is gonna have to round out my 2022 purchases, it will take me until 12/30 to pay this poo poo off :laugh:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And another cheapo that's nicer than I expected

Marina Feeling Series FL-2 from the mid 80s. Made in Taiwan, or maybe Korea, could be Chinese, or possibly Japanese. Not a whole lot out there. I'm saying Korean or Japanese, leaning towards Japanese. It has a full size machined steel trem block with bent steel saddles, same as what was on Japanese-made Squiers in the 80s. It also has full size Noble pots, which were also made in Japan. Solid wood body, which also says Japan to me. Korean or Taiwanese guitars from the 80s were almost always plywood. I had to change both pickup rings, but that let me take a look at the pickups, which are unmarked, but missing the red sealer/glue that would be found on Korean ones from the time. So I'm ~80% sure this one is Japanese.

Anyway, quickie setup on the old strings and it plays very good, although I would prefer a teeny bit more neck relief. No buzzes where it is, though. Pickups are only 5.8k for the neck and 6k for the bridge, but definitely sound hotter. Weight is a little over 7 pounds, just about perfect for me. Now I need to clean it up and change strings then figure out if it stays or goes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Got the Pam's expander basically just to sync the arp/tempo on the hydra with the rack without having to do bullshit translation through the niftycase or BSP, but I am sure the extra clock outs will also be useful.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Picked up my custom ordered Telecaster this weekend. Ordered in February and I was told June 2023 so this is a happy Christmas miracle!
Over the moon about this one. :allears:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's very nice! What color exactly is it?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Cadillac Green, it’s a Gretsch color.
That said even Gretsch has some hue variation with that color. It’s more like the older color than the new one that has a definite blue tint to it.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Pyramid let me finally cut down the forest of merge/thru boxes, feels good. Still need to figure out how to work the beatstep in, want to maybe use it to program in drum parts, coming together though.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
An oddball Samick-made Lotus with a fine tuner bridge and behind-the-nut locking, uh, nut #2?

I had a black/black pickguard one not too long ago that didn't have the locking nut, and two Harmony versions of the same guitar. THis one will get cleaned, new strings, and a setup, then probably onto Reverb. It was cheap, but I've got a ton of Strats and don't collect Lotus.

And a $129.91 Firefly FFTH Tele Thinline in "seafoam" that is as blue as it looks in the pics. I had a flat black version way back when they first did these, which had a fair amount of flaws, but so far I see nothing on this one. Excellent fretwork and setup out of the box, 6.5lbs, and it even has brass bridge saddles.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Early 2000's MIJ Ibanez Prestige 7-string with locking trem. I got this off a guy from craigslist the other day. The neck is fast and plays like a dream but I'm having some issues with the bridge and pickups. The Ibanez trem feels quite a bit different from the Floyd Rose trems I have in other guitars. The fine tuners have a ton of throw and I've had to reset the tuning a couple of times already because they bottom out when tuning up. It also sits differently than I'm used to and I'm having trouble getting good sounding chugs on palm mutes since it seems harder to set my hand in the sweet spot. I will most likely get used to that over time. Also, that problem may be exacerbated by the pickups the previous owner installed. They are Instrumental SFTY-4's and they are HOT AS gently caress. Jesus gently caress are they hot. I have a set of Fishman actives in another guitar and these are an order of magnitude hotter. Controlling string noise is out of the question with any amount of gain. I tried playing through the FM3 and some different plugins and its like having a permanent boost on with the level cranked. Every model I tried it on I had to dial the gain back to near zero and bump the noise gate way up just to control excessive noise from literally any contact or movement of strings, no matter how slight. On the plus side, chords and arpeggios sound great and every note is clear but single line runs and any quick power chord movements are a mess due to excessive noise from adjacent strings or my fingers moving across the strings from changing positions. Like, I'll be the first to admit I need to work on controlling noise and cleaning up my playing but this is far beyond that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-string/tone-zone-7?v=29072

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Yeah, I'm looking into some replacements. It looks like the pickups in this guitar are also super close to the strings and can't be adjusted downward since they are already bottomed out in the cavities. Might take it to a tech and see if there's some way to fix that without lifting the action too much.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One to clean and flip

Lotus silverburst Strat with a flamey neck and naughtyword on the back

I keep finding these really cheap and someday I'm going to keep one because they clean up well and can usually be made into decent players.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Got a couple of really neat things yesterday!

First up is the strandberg Boden Metal NX 6. It’s a used one, was sitting in the shop for a couple months and no one had grabbed it. Played it for about an hour, and realized the only thing “wrong” with it was the action was pretty high.

Bought it, and after a quick setup the guitar is incredible. No bad frets, plays like a dream, and only weighs about 4.8lbs. Also surprisingly acoustically resonant!
Only complaint is the pickups are a bit biting, I’m used to smoother highs, but that’s an easy fix.

Second is the Boss RC505 mk2. Been looking to upgrade my loop setup for a while as the looper in the headrush is okay, but pretty limited.

This thing is dope! Allows for footswitches so I can easily loop when doing guitar, has lots of fx and a drum machine, and it’s auto tempo thing is great for non-click looping, makes building up layers super easy. Only scratched the surface, but I think this is my musical focus now lol.

And finally, my GF got me a PS5 which was a total surprise. Now I can play all the cool new games!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Early 2000's MIJ Ibanez Prestige 7-string with locking trem. I got this off a guy from craigslist the other day. The neck is fast and plays like a dream but I'm having some issues with the bridge and pickups. The Ibanez trem feels quite a bit different from the Floyd Rose trems I have in other guitars. The fine tuners have a ton of throw and I've had to reset the tuning a couple of times already because they bottom out when tuning up. It also sits differently than I'm used to and I'm having trouble getting good sounding chugs on palm mutes since it seems harder to set my hand in the sweet spot. I will most likely get used to that over time. Also, that problem may be exacerbated by the pickups the previous owner installed. They are Instrumental SFTY-4's and they are HOT AS gently caress. Jesus gently caress are they hot. I have a set of Fishman actives in another guitar and these are an order of magnitude hotter. Controlling string noise is out of the question with any amount of gain. I tried playing through the FM3 and some different plugins and its like having a permanent boost on with the level cranked. Every model I tried it on I had to dial the gain back to near zero and bump the noise gate way up just to control excessive noise from literally any contact or movement of strings, no matter how slight. On the plus side, chords and arpeggios sound great and every note is clear but single line runs and any quick power chord movements are a mess due to excessive noise from adjacent strings or my fingers moving across the strings from changing positions. Like, I'll be the first to admit I need to work on controlling noise and cleaning up my playing but this is far beyond that.

:hfive: I’ve been meaning to post a picture of the RG655 I just got!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

after doing the terrible thing of having a patch cable slip through a gap and short Plaits (no damage as far as I KNOW or can tell) -- I went ahead and put slot covers on everything like a good boy.

Also I think the DaisyPatch is new since last pic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Christmas presents!

A second power supply for my volcas. I need a better power solution.

And…

https://youtu.be/lDH1sosg-fI

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
got some 3d printed knob caps for my volca sized stuff

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Xmas present to myself #1, here in time!

The old catalog calls it a H-745, BUT every one I've seen with an H-745 sticker has been a completely different model.

Anyway, what I do know.
2-piece Walnut body
flame maple veener on the top
bolt-on "flame maple" neck, which is not actually flame maple
factory gold hardware
Replaced tuners which I will have to replace again for gold ones
Mismatched pickup surrounds, should both be cream, possibly replaced pickup(s) since one has flat head adjustment screws.
POSSIBLY DiMarzios since it was made at the right time and has the mother of pearl logo which was a signifier for the DiMarzios on Hondos
Pickguard mounted to the top, no side bracket, with matching tortoise control covers
Belly cut
Slightly over 8 pounds, which ain't bad for a Walnut bodied LP

First impressions are good; plays OK as is, no glaring faults. Needs strings and a setup and I need to check what's in it for pickups.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

A few days ago I traded out a 70s lawsuit era Univox LP to a kid from craigslist for this guy right here. Its a 2002 SG Special and its amazing. Just an excellent player. I almost never get decent trade offers on craigslist but this was one of the few times it happened and I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting to get a new SG for a bit and, even though I had my heart set on a Standard, this was too good to pass up.

In other news, it turns out that Ibanez Prestige 7 I posted a little while ago had a set up issue that was causing the problems with the too hot pickups, tuning stability and the weird bridge feel. When I got a chance to actually sit down and try to figure out what was going on, I could see the back of bridge was pulled too far into the cavity and wasn't seated level with the body so the strings were way too low at the bridge pickup making them overly present and was also causing the issues with the fine tuners as well. I got the bridge adjusted to level and now it stays in tune and the pickups are much more manageable. In fact they sound pretty badass. Action was raised a tiny bit but still plenty low and fast. I feel like an idiot for not looking closer at the bridge earlier but now that I've adjusted it, the guitar plays and sounds super tight.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

(cartesian) snake (sequencing) in MY rack? It's more likely than blah blah.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got a bonus at work literally 40x what they gave out the year before, so I bought some dumb stuff.

Perri's Leather jacquard guitar strap

Squier Baritone Custom Telecaster, cheap from the Amazon returns warehouse. Ding on the tip of the headstock, a lot of scuffs on the back, and loving REGULAR GUITAR STRINGS! Set of .14-.68s incoming

Hondo Deluxe Series H-727 EVHT, EVH for the factory stripes, T for the tremolo. Strat pickup in the bridge, humbucker in the neck with a coil split

That ones goes with my other Hondo bumblebee

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One more

Hondo Fame Series 7634, 22.25" scale length. Slapped on a set of .12-50s and it intonates properly and plays way too well.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
got a used volca modular from ebay and found a good use for this tray i had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I love all the different patching you can do with that tiny machine.