Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

BiggerBoat posted:

Raising and taking care of a dog requires work, commitment, time, sacrifice and love.

So it's pretty easy to understand why Trump would not want or care for one.

Plus there's the part where if he had one, people would want to pet it and pay attention to who's a good boy and that would detract from people paying attention to HIM.

E

But if he DID have or get one, it would no doubt be the Greatest Dog in All of History - the likes of which no one has ever seen - and many people come up to him with tears in their eyes saying they've never seen such a beautiful dog.

Just the most perfect dog.

They're all perfect dogs, BiggerBoatTrump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Simplex posted:

Trump having the police clear protestors so he could walk across the street to give a speech on some church steps will forever remain the most :wtf: thing about his presidency and his support to me. The absolute literal opposite of what Jesus would do.

Reported for misinformation :cop:

Kindly educate yourself on the Facts and say "NO" to fake news:
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/1004832399/watchdog-report-says-police-did-not-clear-protesters-to-make-way-for-trump-last-

quote:

The U.S. Park Police did not clear protesters from a park outside the White House so then-President Donald Trump could take a photo-op at a nearby church, an Interior Department inspector general's report found.

"[T]he evidence established that relevant USPP officials had made those decisions and had begun implementing the operational plan several hours before they knew of a potential Presidential visit to the park, which occurred later that day," Interior Department Inspector General Mark Greenblatt wrote in a statement with the report's release Wednesday. "As such, we determined that the evidence did not support a finding that the USPP cleared the park on June 1, 2020, so that then President Trump could enter the park."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Or you could read the report and draw your own conclusions I suppose

quote:

When we asked the USPP operations commander about this exchange, he stated he told the
Attorney General the area was unsafe and asked him and the other officials to move away from
the line of officers. The USPP operations commander told us the Attorney General then asked
him why the crowd was still on H Street and said he thought they would be gone by that point.
The USPP operations commander told us he advised the Attorney General that they were getting
into position to move the crowd. He stated he again advised the Attorney General that the
Attorney General was not in a safe area and should move further from the crowd. The USPP
operations commander said the Attorney General asked him, “Are these people still going to be
here when POTUS [President of the United States] comes out?”

At approximately 6:16 p.m., contrary to the operational plan and before the USPP gave the first
dispersal warning, the Secret Service entered H Street from Madison Place. The USPP civil
disturbance unit commanders told us that the Secret Service met significant resistance from the
crowd and protesters threw water bottles and eggs at the officers. USPP video we reviewed
confirmed this account and showed the Secret Service responding by deploying pepper spray.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Who you going to believe, Trump or your lying eyes?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Lol, yeah, USPP didn’t clear it because Secret Service did.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrMojok posted:

To normal people a dog is the physical embodiment of love, the most loving and loyal companion.

But to Trump, a dog is something dirty, something to be despised, to be kicked probably.

It’s always been clear in how he uses the word:

“I fired him, like a dog”
“I threw him out, like a dog”
“Rubio was sweating like a dog”

Pure sociopathy. Trump is the only president in like 120 YEARS to not have a dog in the WH.

Maybe he just really liked A Hard Day's Night as a kid.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I was too young to remember, how pissed were people that the Clinton’s had a cat?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Socks was well liked enough to get his own goddamn video game.

Rush et al were more concerned with calling a teenaged Chelsea ugly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tayter Swift posted:

Socks was well liked enough to get his own goddamn video game.

Rush et al were more concerned with calling a teenaged Chelsea ugly.

Were they ever. You could hear the sadistic glee in their voices every time they got a chance to slag on Chelsea, like just how joyful it was to them to beat up on a young girl.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was too young to remember, how pissed were people that the Clinton’s had a cat?

no one. presidential pets have kinda always been kinda of non issue outside a story about Fala. and i guess bidens dog biting cops.

quote:

On September 23, 1944, Roosevelt began his 1944 presidential campaign in Washington, D.C., speaking at a dinner with the International Teamsters Union. The half-hour speech was also broadcast by all U.S. radio networks.[6] In the speech, Roosevelt criticized Republican opponents in Congress and detailed their criticisms of him. Late in the speech, Roosevelt addressed Republican charges that he had accidentally left Fala behind on the Aleutian Islands while on tour there and had sent a U.S. Navy destroyer to retrieve him at an exorbitant cost to the taxpayers:

These Republican leaders have not been content with attacks on me, or my wife, or on my sons. No, not content with that, they now include my little dog, Fala. Well, of course, I don't resent attacks, and my family don't resent attacks, but Fala does resent them. You know, Fala is Scotch, and being a Scottie, as soon as he learned that the Republican fiction writers in Congress and out had concocted a story that I'd left him behind on an Aleutian island and had sent a destroyer back to find him – at a cost to the taxpayers of two or three, or eight or twenty million dollars – his Scotch soul was furious. He has not been the same dog since. I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself ... But I think I have a right to resent, to object, to libelous statements about my dog.[7]

The story of being left behind on the Aleutian Islands was false. (Fala did cause some minor trouble once on the cruiser USS Tuscaloosa in the West Indies by licking the feet of sailors relaxing on deck.[8])

The idea of turning the Republican charges into a joke was that of Orson Welles.[9]: 292–293  Campaigning extensively for Roosevelt, Welles occasionally sent him ideas and phrases that were sometimes incorporated into what Welles characterized as "less important speeches".[10]: 374  One of these was the "Fala speech". Welles ad-libbed the Fala joke for the president, who was so delighted that he had a final version written into the speech by his staff. After the broadcast Roosevelt asked Welles, "How did I do? Was my timing right?"[9]: 292–293 

"The audience went wild, laughing and cheering and calling for more," wrote historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. "And the laughter carried beyond the banquet hall; it reverberated in living rooms and kitchens throughout the country, where people were listening to the speech on their radios. The Fala bit was so funny, one reporter observed, that 'even the stoniest of Republican faces cracked a smile.'"[2]: 548 

idk i like presidential pet stories. they are fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 20, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Getting mad about a presidents pets does not really play will politically, even the whatever? issue with Biden's dog or something that my conservative family spoke about in the terms of "why is this even on the news?" I guess it plays with some people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Imagine Rush Limbaugh calling someone ugly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I like the phrase "Republican fiction writers."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Imagine Rush Limbaugh calling someone ugly.

Picture of Rush Limbaugh during the Clinton Presidency, for reference:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. How dare a 14 year old girl not meet this person's standards?

Then again, I've had it said to me that liberals like myself just can't take a joke.

Ha.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bidens dog biting cops.

The dogs are no questions the best Bidens

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Failed Imagineer posted:

The dogs are no questions the best Bidens

Hunter Bidens got quite a hog, mind you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Hunter Bidens got quite a hog, mind you

He's an honorary menber of the Dog Pound

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Were they ever. You could hear the sadistic glee in their voices every time they got a chance to slag on Chelsea, like just how joyful it was to them to beat up on a young girl.

Even better is Sean Hannity defending that stunt being like "it was a mistake that Chelsea's picture was put up"

Ignoring the fact that
1. It was a pre-taped show and therefore such a mistake could be corrected
2. What the gently caress is the joke supposed to be then?

Just in case you needed a reminder that Sean Hannity has always been a scummy piece of poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm reasonably sure ghouls from that generation are still salivating at the thought of Chelsea entering politics. I.E, Prickly City going on about the accursed "Manchester" between calls for civil discourse and understanding.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. How dare a 14 year old girl not meet this person's standards?

Then again, I've had it said to me that liberals like myself just can't take a joke.

Ha.

Given what later came out about his Caribbean sex tourism, all the poo poo he had to say about Chelsea took on an extra layer of creepy. Not that it was lacking to begin with, of course.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nine-gear crow posted:

got a face like a Content Aware Resize

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kith posted:

got a face like a Content Aware Resize

He is the Reverse Charlie Kirk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a sad thought and a happy thought in regards to Rush.

Sad thought: dude definitely thought of young teens/pre teens as attractive.

Happy thought: dude is still super dead and will forever remain dead.

Truly a "don't be sad that I lived but happy that I died" situation for our times.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There are 84 people who signed sworn statements that they were duly elected electors for their state. Probably a few hundred more who helped facilitate the fraud against the United States.

Where are thee indictments? Sure, we want the ring leaders like Ivanka and Jr and Giuliani but at least some of these fools should be doing 5 to 10 by now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Graham and Flynn are being deposed in GA today.

They apparently delayed long enough to avoid being before the election.

What’s the over for the number of 5ths proclaimed today? 250? 300?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The new special counsel was working on Thanksgiving.

https://twitter.com/Roniretired1/status/1595964769852592130

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rigel posted:

Clear indication that Trump will become next years pardoned Turkey.

Am I doing :nothingmatters: right? Not used to it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Lol, I like the direct call out to Trusty who’s floated several of these bullshit, “only if you ignore the facts of the case I cite” examples as legal arguments.

BigglesSWE posted:

Clear indication that Trump will become next years pardoned Turkey.

Am I doing :nothingmatters: right? Not used to it.

One thing that’s sort of flying under the radar is that before the appointment of the special counsel there was no direct statement from DoJ that Trump was being personally investigated for criminal behavior. Even the Mar-a-lago search warrant was directed at Trumps “office” and not him personally.

It’s actually a really big step towards prosecution.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Some backbiting coming out of the January 6 Committee, per WaPo:

Jan. 6 panel staffers angry at Cheney for focusing so much of report on Trump posted:

Now, less than six weeks before the conclusion of the committee’s work, Cheney’s influence over the committee’s final report has rankled many current and former committee staff. They are angered and disillusioned by Cheney’s push to focus the report primarily on former president Donald Trump, and have bristled at the committee morphing into what they have come to view as the vehicle for the outgoing Wyoming lawmaker’s political future.
Several committee staff members were floored earlier this month when they were told that a draft report would focus almost entirely on Trump and the work of the committee’s Gold Team, excluding reams of other investigative work.
Potentially left on the cutting room floor, or relegated to an appendix, were many revelations from the Blue Team — the group that dug into the law enforcement and intelligence community’s failure to assess the looming threat and prepare for the well-forecast attack on the Capitol. The proposed report would also cut back on much of the work of the Green Team, which looked at financing for the Jan. 6 attack, and the Purple Team, which examined militia groups and extremism.
“We all came from prestigious jobs, dropping what we were doing because we were told this would be an important fact-finding investigation that would inform the public,” said one former committee staffer. “But when [the committee] became a Cheney 2024 campaign, many of us became discouraged.”
Adler [spokesman for Cheney] added, “Some staff have submitted subpar material for the report that reflects long-held liberal biases about federal law enforcement, Republicans, and sociological issues outside the scope of the Select Committee’s work. She won’t sign onto any ‘narrative’ that suggests Republicans are inherently racist or smears men and women in law enforcement, or suggests every American who believes God has blessed America is a white supremacist.”

Sounds like the report is likely to be pretty much "Trump was uniquely bad" rather than "holy poo poo the Republicans are goose-stepping lunatics." Which is unfortunate, but not unexpected given Liz Cheney is a conservative Republican and the co-chair of the committee. Hopefully the rest of the information gets released in appendices or something and not just buried - it sounds like there might be some pushback from some other committee members if that were to happen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Some backbiting coming out of the January 6 Committee, per WaPo:

Sounds like the report is likely to be pretty much "Trump was uniquely bad" rather than "holy poo poo the Republicans are goose-stepping lunatics." Which is unfortunate, but not unexpected given Liz Cheney is a conservative Republican and the co-chair of the committee. Hopefully the rest of the information gets released in appendices or something and not just buried - it sounds like there might be some pushback from some other committee members if that were to happen.

There was a similar report a while ago. Notable is that the source is staff members, rather than actual committee members.

So I'm not sure how much of an actual problem this is. It's the Committee's report, not Liz Cheney's, and if they don't like it they can change it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I agree with Cheney and think these unnamed staffers are flat-out wrong and just upset that their work isn't getting top billing. The vast, vast majority of the report SHOULD be focused on Trump, loving no poo poo. The rest was just on incompetence, and extremism, which SHOULD pale in comparison and be relegated to footnotes and lesser chapters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rigel posted:

I agree with Cheney and think these unnamed staffers are flat-out wrong and just upset that their work isn't getting top billing. The vast, vast majority of the report SHOULD be focused on Trump, loving no poo poo. The rest was just on incompetence, and extremism, which SHOULD pale in comparison and be relegated to footnotes and lesser chapters.
Ah. Jan 6 happened because Trump was uniquely bad.

Caaaaaaaase solved. Phew.

Just one more thing that requires us to learn absolutely no lessons and make absolutely no changes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Just one more thing that requires us to learn absolutely no lessons and make absolutely no changes.

The purpose of this report is purely political. The "lessons to be learned" were learned a long loving time ago, within a month or two after 1/6. The law enforcement agencies are not waiting in befuddled confusion for their wise masters to hand down the report that they must study to finally at long last learn from their mistakes.

Given that this report is political, there's nothing to be gained from publicly announcing "well, our intelligence and law enforcement agencies underestimated the threat, and gosh we've got a problem with all these extremist groups too. Oh, and I guess Trump sucked too, but whatever." The purpose of the report is primarily to prepare the people for the reality that a president who many of them voted for should probably go to prison.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In terms of successfully driving a wedge between trumpists and the not-(as?-)insane part of the republican coalition her and others on the committee's efforts to keep it from descending into just purestrain liberal fantasy about republicans has been unambiguously useful. Like I personally share a lot of the feelings about republicans, but if you want to create focused pressure on conservatives to reject trump, you categorically can not do that by smearing 100% of conservatives.

Also I suspect that those leaks are not that widely held of a view because pretty much the entirety of the committee's efforts have been very focused and clearly on the same page wrt what they want to do. Like the committee does not need to convince dems to dump trump, it needs to convince conservatives to.

There is a helluva largely unrecognized dem echo chamber about how obvious and completely beyond doubt trump's and republican's crimes are and while not exactly wrong, it just isn't that useful of a perspective when it comes to doing anything that requires bipartisanship and especially useless when it comes to getting republicans to do something.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 25, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Here’s another way to think about it. Is the leader in a fascist movement essential to the movement?

Trump is uniquely bad. There are significant structural fascist elements and issues with the GOP, that need to be addressed and changed.

I guess what I’m saying is that it isn’t contradictory to believe both those things.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Here’s another way to think about it. Is the leader in a fascist movement essential to the movement?

Trump is uniquely bad. There are significant structural fascist elements and issues with the GOP, that need to be addressed and changed.

I guess what I’m saying is that it isn’t contradictory to believe both those things.

I don't think the argument is really "What portion of responsibility should be borne by Trump vs Republicans as a whole?", but "what role does a Congressional Committee play vs the DoJ and other law enforcement offices".

Trying to collect evidence of crimes against people that aren't already notorious is a dangerous game - you might end up contaminating jury pools by elevating statements that aren't legally admissible, you probably don't have a sufficient body of evidence for more than single-digit targets to be worthwhile to focus the Eye of Sauron on, and because the decisions of the committee don't have any legal consequences they benefit way more from picking a symbolic target that casual news-readers recognize. The strategy they took may have been part of the reason for the elections going how they did, and that is inherently more valuable than getting more names in the press.

I don't know if there is any master list of prosecutions related to Jan 6th, but there have definitely been a substantial number of them that end up getting posted and then lost in the flood of more interesting news. People going to jail for 3 years or whatever just isn't that interesting, and the associated crimes don't have any real staying power in people's minds. The individual court cases are fairly meaningless, but the aggregate picture is that people are being pursued for what they did.

All that said, of course everyone wants Marco Rubio or whoever to get slammed with something, but the incitement is already fairly nebulous as a case when it comes to Trump and much moreso for anyone with a smaller platform - that's why the documents are the line. It's a tired trope that our justice system never delivers, but that's mostly because we want it to deliver prevention rather than punishment, and it inherently doesn't have the power to deliver that

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If 50 Republican representatives were part of the planning, they should be in the report and not just lumped in with the president. If there's a distinction between staffers, then identify those categories of culpability.

If the claims are true, it sounds exactly like the goal of releasing a report that claims nothing (see russiagate), and simply gets dismissed as "Trump bad propaganda", which is neither what it is nor should be.

Nor does T's eventual legal standing absolve any such Republicans of their liability. If they claim "the DOJ prosecutes", and if the eight-month standing argument is "the DOJ builds a case by talking to the top dog last", then does the committee simply throw away hundred of hours of depositions and tell the DOJ, "yeah if you want gym jordan, start all over".

The nothing matters statement would be: Great so they moaned about having no fascist Republicans on the committee, they ended up with just one conservative, but true to the usual gerrymandering that one was enough to tank the whole thing at the end.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

If 50 Republican representatives were part of the planning, they should be in the report and not just lumped in with the president. If there's a distinction between staffers, then identify those categories of culpability.

If the claims are true, it sounds exactly like the goal of releasing a report that claims nothing (see russiagate), and simply gets dismissed as "Trump bad propaganda", which is neither what it is nor should be.

Nor does T's eventual legal standing absolve any such Republicans of their liability. If they claim "the DOJ prosecutes", and if the eight-month standing argument is "the DOJ builds a case by talking to the top dog last", then does the committee simply throw away hundred of hours of depositions and tell the DOJ, "yeah if you want gym jordan, start all over".

The nothing matters statement would be: Great so they moaned about having no fascist Republicans on the committee, they ended up with just one conservative, but true to the usual gerrymandering that one was enough to tank the whole thing at the end.

Aside from a couple representatives who may have given tours the night before (and the evidence against them intending anything more than just showing some friendly chuds around is thin), there is really no reason whatsoever to believe that there was this widespread conspiracy to organize an attack on the capitol. That was pretty much almost 100% completely the sole responsibility of Trump and his inner circle (well and the attackers themselves, but they wouldn't have gone without Trump's command).

If you were hoping for a report that suddenly reveals a heretofore unknown massive conspiracy implicating the entire Republican party in crimes, well that expectation was not reasonable at all. We do have a mountain of evidence showing that basically the entire Republican apparatus from congressional leadership to Fox News on down were testily warning Trump not to march to the capitol, and he chose to ignore them.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Almost certainly not. It's not a terrible stretch to picture some crab other than Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, or Mussolini to ride their respective waves of fear and hate, if the named ones were somehow removed early. Lots of potential leaders fell in each of those paths to power, and each had champions with their own drive and direction waiting in the wings for their opportunities.